Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Default MFK travel case? "Globe Trotter" ...Does anybody here own one?

I love MFK's travel size options, but they don't come with caps and they're kind of clumsy without a case due to their size. MFK sells a "Globe Trotter" case/holder thingamabob in zinc or gold, but it's around a hundred dollars, which seems like a silly price to pay unless it's absurdly well designed (does the cap lock into place so it can be tossed in a dopp kit sort of travel bag?).

Does anybody here own one? Is it worth it? Is it well designed? Does the cap stay on? Or is there a better alternative? Honestly, I don't need zinc or gold. I'd be happy with a $10 plastic holder with a fitted cap.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about, for those who don't know but might be curious. And a link.

It's kind of funny posting a huge image of such a tiny thing. The sprayer vial inside it holds 11ml and is less than 3 and a half inches tall.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 15th December 2016 at 04:00 AM.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Default Re: MFK travel case? "Globe Trotter" ...Does anybody here own one?

I have one. It's well built, the cap stays on with magnets that are pretty strong - can be jostled in a dopp bag during travel and it'll stay together. It's a solid piece of kit, about as solid as the By Kilian pocket atomizers. For what it is worth, I do not think it's worth that price though, not full retail at least.

Funny story though. Keep it packed near the top. TSA doesn't like how it shows up on their scans. So be prepared to pull it out. Same for the Kilian pocket atomizers too - they're solid metal and show up "suspicious" if you're not TSA preferred.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't mind paying MFK prices for that thing if it came with an 11ml vial of my choice, which doesn't seem like too much to expect. Ah well. I might end up picking one up sometime. Or not (well, probably not... but maybe).
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis

Love the brushed aluminium/zinc case with the vintage patina. I have not seen it sold around here else I might have bought one. I find the Kilian atomiser a little too hefty and busy for my tastes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Love the brushed aluminium/zinc case with the vintage patina. I have not seen it sold around here else I might have bought one. I find the Kilian atomiser a little too hefty and busy for my tastes.
    It might be cheaper to buy direct from MFK by going into the international section of his website: www.franciskurkdjian.com.

Here in the U.S., it's significantly cheaper to buy direct from him rather than by going into a store or an online shop. For example:

APOM costs $195 at Neiman Marcus here in the U.S., but direct from MFK it's 120 euros, which converts to around $130.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis

Thanks for the tip. Incidentally we were out shopping 2 days ago when we stopped by my favorite perfume store. Guess what did I find? Wife bought me one + the men's discovery set as an anniversary gift.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 18th December 2016 at 01:17 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

T Wife bought me one + the men's discovery set as an anniversary gift.
    How wonderful and congrats on the special occasion!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip. Incidentally we were out shopping 2 days ago when we stopped by my favorite perfume store. Guess what did I find? Wife bought me one + the men's discovery set as an anniversary gift.
    That's an awesome gift!!!

I'm becoming a huge FMK fan. In fact, I have no idea why it took me so long to explore his house. I'm enjoying some of it A LOT.

Did your set come with Petit Matin and Grand Soir? Those are both outstanding. I bought a bottle of Petit Matin, and I want Grand Soir, but it isn't the sort of thing I'd wear often enough to justify buying 70ml. But it's REALLY good. I bought the 3 x11ml travel set of Aqua Universalis, and I'm so blown away by it that I'm going to buy a bottle. And I'm probably going to buy APOM too.

Speaking of Aqua Universalis: don't be fooled by the opening. Give it time to really develop on skin. That stuff is wonderful. It has a lightness about it that may fool you into thinking it'll be weak, but it's not. On my skin, it lasts and lasts and lasts, and it clings to my shirt in a way that smells clean and joyful. Petit Matin is kind of like that too, but in a totally different way. Love, love, love.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    congrats on the special occasion!
    Yes!
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis

Thank you for your well wishes, my friends.

The atomiser is a nice size and has just the right heft. The magnetic cap stays on better if you have one of the travel vials in place. The men's discovery was also different from what I remembered. Think they dropped the Aqua Universalis Forte and Oud and included 3 of MFK's latest scents. The only wardrobe overlap I had with the set was Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. The rest were:

Aqua Universalis
    APOM Homme
    masculin Pluriel
    Amyris Homme
    Petit Matin
    Grand Soir
    Baccarat Rouge 540

...which IMO represents outstanding value.

I had the chance to try Oud Satin too; I could see why it's popular.

Awesome! I'd love to have one of those Globe Trotter case/holder thingamabobs!

So, I also have a question for you gents. I also own the MFK men's discovery set. Does that constitute in your minds owning these different fragrances contained in the set, or do you have to own a 2.7 oz. bottle to actually own these fragrances?
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    So, I also have a question for you gents. I also own the MFK men's discovery set. Does that constitute in your minds owning these different fragrances contained in the set, or do you have to own a 2.7 oz. bottle to actually own these fragrances?
    YES, if such things matter to you. Whether you own a gallon-sized flacon or a 10 ml decant, it makes absolutely no difference when you wear it as you'd still apply a similar number of sprays. And with a huge wardrobe to rotate with, I found a decant could easily last me a few years, much as a full-sized bottle would to the average fragrance wearer.

YES, if such things matter to you. Whether you own a gallon-sized flacon or a 10 ml decant, it makes absolutely no difference when you wear it as you'd still apply a similar number of sprays. And with a huge wardrobe to rotate with, I found a decant could easily last me a few years, much as a full-sized bottle would to the average fragrance wearer.
    Such things matter to me because I like to be honest when I'm saying whether or not I own a fragrance in my wardrobe. Or, say anything else for that matter. Thanks for your input.

About the atomiser. My Petit Matin leaked out badly and went dry after a few months despite my infrequent wear. Anyone else have this problem?

Such things matter to me because I like to be honest when I'm saying whether or not I own a fragrance in my wardrobe. Or, say anything else for that matter. Thanks for your input.
    What has 'honesty' got to do with it? Does 'fragrance ownership' stop when the contents in your bottle fall below a certain minimum volumetric threshold? Are people being dishonest when their wardrobes comprise of decants? Suppose you have 5 ml of juice left in your 2.7 oz original bottle and I have 30 ml in my decant. Between the two of us who has the 'stronger' claim to 'ownership'?

Think about it. If such a 'limited view' forms your definition of 'owning' a fragrance, sure, whatever. I don't even update my wardrobe when I buy full sized bottles...

Blog Entries

Awesome! I'd love to have one of those Globe Trotter case/holder thingamabobs!

I have a question for you: Is your wardrobe page here on BN a list of what you have to wear, or is it about bragging rights?

Such things matter to me because I like to be honest when I'm saying whether or not I own a fragrance in my wardrobe.
    You own the juice you paid for when you bought the discovery set. And you wear it, right? There's nothing dishonest about that.

My wardrobe isn't about glass. It's about perfume. It's about what I have to wear.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis

About the atomiser. My Petit Matin leaked out badly and went dry after a few months despite my infrequent wear. Anyone else have this problem?

What has 'honesty' got to do with it? Does 'fragrance ownership' stop when the contents in your bottle fall below a certain minimum volumetric threshold? Are people being dishonest when their wardrobes comprise of decants? Suppose you have 5 ml of juice left in your 2.7 oz original bottle and I have 30 ml in my decant. Between the two of us who has the 'stronger' claim to 'ownership'?

Think about it. If such a 'limited view' forms your definition of 'owning' a fragrance, sure, whatever. I don't even update my wardrobe when I buy full sized bottles...

My question was an honest one, asked with no views, limited or otherwise about my opinions. I purchased the MFK Men's Discovery set from Neiman Marcus and think it means that I have ownership, but I've heard others opinions that they think only having full bottles means you actually own a fragrance, and so I was just asking the question to get additional input.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I have a question for you: Is your wardrobe page here on BN a list of what you have to wear, or is it about bragging rights?

You own the juice you paid for when you bought the discovery set. And you wear it, right? There's nothing dishonest about that.

My wardrobe isn't about glass. It's about perfume. It's about what I have to wear.

Look, I asked a question honestly seeking people's opinions about whether or not having a travel sized fragrance was considered ownership or not. It had nothing to do with bragging rights. I have no interest in snarky comments that question my intentions. My question was only to hear opinions on what different people felt like ownership of a fragrance is to them.

Blog Entries

I wasn't being snarky at all. I was asking a serious question. Is a wardrobe about the juice or the glass?

My wardrobe is a list of what I have to wear, which means for me it's about the juice. My wardrobe is what I have to wear. Basenotes even has a place in the wardrobe to list samples.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis

It’s really OK to ask, ScentDetective. I think it’s a reasonable question that seems to vex some people more than others. Other people’s opinions aside, what do YOU think?

‘Ownership’ (to me) is all about ’full access to a fragrance, control over its use, and whether it is fully paid for’. As long as all 3 conditions are met then I have full ownership; it doesn’t matter if it’s 14 ml of pure extrait, a quarter tola of attar, or a 200 ml flacon of eau de cologne. Sure, other people may set whichever arbitrary criteria they like though I’ve yet to hear a sound explanation why ‘ownership’ requires a minimum of 1.7 oz (?) as a form of ‘validation’. Have they not seen extravagantly priced extraits or attars in much smaller bottles/volumes?

Is anyone aware of a generic or less expensive type of travel case that would fit these smaller sprays? I can't imagine spending that much for one of the official ones, but the glass vials are kind of fragile for traveling.

Nice! Does it come with a leather cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Nice! Does it come with a leather cover?
    Alas, no. But IMO it doesn’t need one.

Alas, no. But IMO it doesn’t need one.
    Hmm.. These pics says it does..Screenshot_20180923-125538_Google.jpg

That's an entirely different set. Diamondflame purchased the Globe Trotter on its own (as evidenced by the photo.)

I don't think they produce the one with the leather case anymore.

I’m a fan of leatherwork and I’m afraid these pouches look pretty ‘amateurish’. IMO the aluminium case looks better without it.

I’m a fan of leatherwork and I’m afraid these pouches look pretty ‘amateurish’. IMO the aluminium case looks better without it.
    Couldn't agree more. It's like having a beautiful pair of feet and pulling on some Crocs.

Blog Entries

It looks like they've changed that set:

Castile
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis

This is an old cached image of a product they no longer offer on their current website.