Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    I recently purchased a 90% full 2005-06 50ml Fahrenheit for 30 dollars since I've been wanting to try an older formulation. I have a 2014 bottle and late 2015 (latest formulation) bottle that I love. The bottle I bought on ebay is the old style with "eau de toilette " and christian dior at the bottom. Old style plastic cap.

    Is this version different/better than the current bottles i have? Considered vintage?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,967

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    I'm not the expert in this matter, although there are several threads that discuss this extensively.

    From personal experience I'll tell you that I wore the heck out of Fahrenheit in the late 80's when it came out. I was transitioning to high school and one pretty girl said she loved it... therefore I bathed in it. Lol! The latest iteration does lack some of the depth of that first bottle, but IMO is good enough to capture the magic. Unless you're comparing them side by side, chances are you'll think it's unchanged. Now in the 2000's there was a period of time that reformulation to try and modernize it is deemed as the least favorable moments in its history. But I'd suggest you read through the threads to figure out what it is that expert aficionados found undesirable about it. You may find that the changes don't bother you, or that you may even enjoy it.

    Have a great day!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  3. #3
    Dependent calzim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,236

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    You tell us if it's different. I think it has a much nicer violet note.
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

    Swap

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    313,057

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    Happen to love any iteration of Fahrenheit I've tried from the original release which I own to what's being sold on store counters now.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    Each formulation of this scent has its own advantages and drawbacks even though they are all unmistakeably Fahrenheit and thus one of the most unique, timeless and interesting fragrances ever created. I'm yet to try the 2016 version but have noticed quite a few of the original bottles going for a song on eBay as people must be clearing out their cupboards in the festive run up, only thing is you don't know how they've been stored as the sellers are just the regular Joe Sixpack type and the listings betray no hint of it being vintage but you can eyeball it and tell easily.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I'm not the expert in this matter, although there are several threads that discuss this extensively.

    From personal experience I'll tell you that I wore the heck out of Fahrenheit in the late 80's when it came out. I was transitioning to high school and one pretty girl said she loved it... therefore I bathed in it. Lol! The latest iteration does lack some of the depth of that first bottle, but IMO is good enough to capture the magic. Unless you're comparing them side by side, chances are you'll think it's unchanged. Now in the 2000's there was a period of time that reformulation to try and modernize it is deemed as the least favorable moments in its history. But I'd suggest you read through the threads to figure out what it is that expert aficionados found undesirable about it. You may find that the changes don't bother you, or that you may even enjoy it.

    Have a great day!
    Thanks! I've looked for information regarding these particular years, but haven't found anything specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by calzim View Post
    You tell us if it's different. I think it has a much nicer violet note.
    Will do, I'll report back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Each formulation of this scent has its own advantages and drawbacks even though they are all unmistakeably Fahrenheit and thus one of the most unique, timeless and interesting fragrances ever created. I'm yet to try the 2016 version but have noticed quite a few of the original bottles going for a song on eBay as people must be clearing out their cupboards in the festive run up, only thing is you don't know how they've been stored as the sellers are just the regular Joe Sixpack type and the listings betray no hint of it being vintage but you can eyeball it and tell easily.
    That's true. The storage issue is real. That's why I'd be hesitant to drop a lot of money on vintage stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Happen to love any iteration of Fahrenheit I've tried from the original release which I own to what's being sold on store counters now.
    The new stuff is great in my opinion. I haven't noticed any differences between my latest formulation and my 2014 bottle, despite them having different formula codes.
    Last edited by capt. carl; 25th December 2016 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    I did research on this a while back, but I forgot the exact details. I remember the important date though. 2012 and prior are the good ones. 2013, the opening changed. So if you got vintage, it will be way better than your 2014 bottle. I have tried 2014 and 2015 and I think they are way too inferior to my 2012. They say 2016 version is good, but I haven't tried it yet. All I know is 2013 to 2015 are a bad, at least compared to 2012 and prior.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    Finally getting a chance to test my 2005 bottle of fahrenheit. The ingredients list oakmoss extract and a number of ingredients in different order compared to my 2015 bottle. I actually prefer the newest formulation to the 2005. The 2005 smells more earthy and musty to my nose. Surprisingly, my girlfriend who hates fahrenheit with a passion prefers the old formulation (although that's still not saying much). Anyone else have the experience of a more earthy/musty fahrenheit with the vintage bottles?

  9. #9
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    6,532

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    I read it was reformulated in 2005 and 2012 beyond other reformulations.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

  10. #10
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,189

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I read it was reformulated in 2005 and 2012 beyond other reformulations.
    I thought 2007 and 2012.....
    My Top '11':

    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    My 2005 box has formula number 00639/A .

    Can anyone contribute their formula code of earlier/ older batches? That way we can determine when reformulations were. I would be curious to see what pre 2012 bottles were.

    My 2015 bottle is 09588/A which is the latest variation

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    Scarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,730

    Default Re: Fahrenheit 2005-06 vintage?

    Andre Moreau has the definitive guides.

    https://raidersofthelostscent.blogsp...tian-dior.html

    https://raidersofthelostscent.blogsp...es-review.html

    https://raidersofthelostscent.blogsp...1988-2015.html

    I think of vintage Fahrenheit as pre-2002. After that it got considerably weaker, had a regrettable vanilla period, and now seems to be coming back to a wearable, albeit weaker form.




Similar Threads

  1. Fahrenheit Le Parfum vs Fahrenheit aqua vs fahrenheit absolute
    By mashez in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th June 2015, 04:40 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th December 2012, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000