Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best face scrub

Default Best face scrub

Best exfoliating cleanser for the skin. Which product(s) do you use?
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Default Re: Best face scrub

I don't use a single one, but rotate a bit depending. For a quick wash at the gym, I usually use Dermalogica daily microfoliant, which is convenient because it's a powder. Once in a while, I use the same brand's gentle cream exfoliant for something deeper.
    But I've also used the products from Laneige and La Roche Posay.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have used many over the years, but now I use: Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser which does well by me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My go to is Elemis Men's facial scrub (it's really sandy and definitely feels quite abrasive so if your skin is very sensitive then maybe it might not be for you)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cedrat by L'Occitane is the one I'm using currently.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

I'm currently using St. Ives which is said to have natural exfoliants (feels like sand) but I'm running low.

I haven't tried St Ives. I assume it's made with natural abrasives like apricot pits or nut shells.

There is a now a debate on whether physical scrubs (ie with small particles that scrub the skin) or chemical ones (acids or enzymes) are preferable. As Ray was saying, physical ones can irritate or damage the skin in some cases. But male skin tends to be oilier and thicker, plus you've been using it and presumably checked that it works for you.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

The one from Clinique is my very favorite - the texture is perfect. It's just so pricey

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Wasn't aware that they made one for that line.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't use face scrubs much anymore - don't really need them if one wet shaves, except in the eye socket area below the eye and on the forehead (where obviously one doesn't shave).

i always thought that the Lab Series one was the best - and most expensive. But others like the Nivea For Men, Somerset and Gillette ones weren't far off being nearly as good as the Lab Series one.

There are also apricot scubs (St Ives and others) which i found too harsh and abrasive - but they are marketed at women, and if women can handle them, I guess males can too - which would make them the "best" for exfoliating.

I once tried a Neutrogena one which was pretty hopeless on me, as it was way too gentle. I mixed it with the apricot one, to make something useful out of both of them.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 28th December 2016 at 02:59 PM.

Renato

I think the apricot scrubs are marketed for women in their teens with acne. Certainly not for older women with delicate skin.
    As for non-abrasive acid-based cleansers, one has to leave them on for a minute or so to let the acids do their job. I haven't tried the neutrogena though.

cacio

So far, have gotten the best results from the Yves Rocher face scrubs (almost irrespective of the product lines used) and the ones by Bioten (a budget brand with mixed/multinational, part-French ownership)

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I haven't tried St Ives. I assume it's made with natural abrasives like apricot pits or nut shells
    I used the St. Ives Apricot Scrub for over a decade (I believe the exfoliant is crushed walnut shells) and had good success with it, but using it daily became somewhat harsh on my skin. I recently switched to St. Ives Green Tea Scrub which I prefer greatly. The abrasives are much, much finer (still walnut shell, according to ingredient list) and easier on the skin, but it does just as good a job of cleaning.

You know what they're both fantastic for? Scrubbing fragrances off the backs of hands during sampling sessions

I second the Clinique. It's my favorite. Happen to have gotten a few large samples..
    I alternate between that and a Kiehl's Face Wash in a blue bottle that I got for my birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    ............... but using it daily became somewhat harsh on my skin.
    Every instruction i have ever read about facial scrubs (on-line and on the packet) says to you use them twice a week, or possibly three times.
    The instruction writers may just be being cautious, but I'd never use scrubs daily - I'd be worried about damage.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes I think it's the only one available for men. Very reasonable price and of course you can trust the quality.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Lab Series is very nice.

A less expensive alternative, and less harsh, is mixing Cetaphil with baking soda.
    I smell marshmallows!
    Currently wearing: Blue Amber by Montale

Origins GinZing

Clinique, Jack Black, and Anthony Logistics. All have high pumas, unlike regular store brands.

Clinique: High pumas, cleans well, no signature smell to speak of, easy tube

Jack Black: high pumas, nice minty smell, easy tube

Anthony Logistics: high pumas, nice orange smell, bottle doesn't squeeze well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Bulldog Original Face Scrub- I'm at the second tube.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Every instruction i have ever read about facial scrubs (on-line and on the packet) says to you use them twice a week, or possibly three times.
    The instruction writers may just be being cautious, but I'd never use scrubs daily - I'd be worried about damage.
    Regards,
    Renato
    That makes the most sense to me. I checked the instructions/directions on my tube (St. Ives Apricot Scrub - Blemish Control) and was surprised to see the following (verbatim):

• Clean skin thoroughly before applying this product
    • Because excessive drying of the skin may occur, start with one application daily, then gradually increase to two or three times daily if needed
    • If bothersome dryness or peeling occurs, reduce application to once a day or every other day

I couldn't imagine using it three times a day, that would be really harsh. I didn't realize it was the "Blemish Control" type (actually didn't know there was more than one kind) so I'm guessing that's why they say "two to three times if needed" the need being - acne/blemishes aren't getting better. Still seems like overkill to me, blemishes or not.

That makes the most sense to me. I checked the instructions/directions on my tube (St. Ives Apricot Scrub - Blemish Control) and was surprised to see the following (verbatim):

• Clean skin thoroughly before applying this product
    • Because excessive drying of the skin may occur, start with one application daily, then gradually increase to two or three times daily if needed
    • If bothersome dryness or peeling occurs, reduce application to once a day or every other day

I couldn't imagine using it three times a day, that would be really harsh. I didn't realize it was the "Blemish Control" type (actually didn't know there was more than one kind) so I'm guessing that's why they say "two to three times if needed" the need being - acne/blemishes aren't getting better. Still seems like overkill to me, blemishes or not.
    Thanks - I'm quite astounded by those instructions.
    The other manufacturers say to use the scrub every few days, and use their gentle face washes instead on other days.
    Regards,
    Renato

I used the St. Ives Apricot Scrub for over a decade (I believe the exfoliant is crushed walnut shells) and had good success with it, but using it daily became somewhat harsh on my skin. I recently switched to St. Ives Green Tea Scrub which I prefer greatly. The abrasives are much, much finer (still walnut shell, according to ingredient list) and easier on the skin, but it does just as good a job of cleaning.

You know what they're both fantastic for? Scrubbing fragrances off the backs of hands during sampling sessions
    Thanks for your recommendation! I will definitely be looking into this one. I try to exfoliate once a day but sometimes skip it - as you said can become a bit harsh. Three times per day is unthinkable!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Clinique, Jack Black, and Anthony Logistics. All have high pumas, unlike regular store brands.

Clinique: High pumas, cleans well, no signature smell to speak of, easy tube

Jack Black: high pumas, nice minty smell, easy tube

Anthony Logistics: high pumas, nice orange smell, bottle doesn't squeeze well.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

I have used quite a few. Clinique s very good but my favourite is Kiehl's facial fuel. The normal face wash and moisturiser are also excellent.

I use Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pores Scrub. It's dermatologist recommended:

Elizabeth Tanzi, MD, codirector of the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery in Washington, DC, concurs: "I avoid any harsh facial scrubs that have ground 'pits' in them because these pits can be very sharp and way too irritating and abrasive to the skin." Generally, it's best to steer clear of microbeads, ground nut shells, and stone fruit pits.

A smarter move: "I like gentle scrubs with smooth beads to carefully exfoliate without overly irritating the skin," says Tanzi. The smoothest beads are jojoba, since they melt past a certain point and have hydrating qualities. Find them in Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pores Scrub ($7, drugstore.com).
    http://www.prevention.com/beauty/wor...ucts-your-skin

I use L'oreal Carcoal it makes my skin look fresh and cleans ur face.. fresh fresh
    Currently in my collection:
    Creed: Aventus, OS, OV, HM, MI, VIW, GIT.
    Mancera: Kumkat Wood and Cedrat Boise
    Designers: YSL Kouros, Givenchy Xeryus and Acqua di gio profumo.

I think this should be best scrub cream please search it online if you don't no - Kumkumadi brightening Ayurvedic Face Scrub

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I don't use face scrubs much anymore
    Same here. In the past, it was frequently.

Had recently good results with Alverde Men

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's the one that replaced the Juniper Bark Scrub, which was my preferred scrub a long time ago before it got discontinued.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    Lab Series is very nice.
    I must say I'm very impressed with the whole LS line. They can often be got for a lot less than retail if you know where to look. I've not tried their scrub, as a good wet shave should suffice to exfoliate the skin adequately.