Code of Conduct

Default Comparison between the two recent Karl Lagerfeld Classic's versions

I had been interested in this one for a long time. In a thread I've seen recently there is talk about the new Interparfums versions of KL Classic. The Interparfums took over KL at a time around 2012-2013. I had tried the Coty version some time ago and I was not that much Impressed, the scent was very plain ambery and with not the performance I had expected, it is not that the scent was bad but not as good as I thought it will be. I could not pick up many notes and I do not know if that is because it was synthetic or complex. I am hoping to like it more if there is difference in the new one for the better.
    So to those who have owned both the 125 Coty version and the new 100 ml Interparfums version do you see any difference? Is there someone who can make a detailed comparison?

Default Re: Comparison between the two recent Karl Lagerfeld Classic's versions

Bumb
    Sadly I think none has got his hands on both versions.

I have the coty version and love it but I have been wanting to try the interparfums version. I just ordered it yesterday. I will let you know how it turns out after receiving it and properly testing it. I never had the original version of Lagerfeld.

Basenotes Plus

I bought the Interparfums Version about a year ago on ebay. I really like it and it's one of my favorite powerhouses – the patchouli drydown is exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I bought the Interparfums Version about a year ago on ebay. I really like it and it's one of my favorite powerhouses – the patchouli drydown is exquisite.
    +1. It's excellent.

If there is improvement compared to the Coty version it worths a blind buy.
    Last edited by Psachna; 14th January 2017 at 03:05 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Psachna View Post
    If there is improvement compared to the Coty version is worths a blind buy.
    Especially if you can acquire it at a good price.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by tausti View Post
    I have the coty version and love it but I have been wanting to try the interparfums version. I just ordered it yesterday. I will let you know how it turns out after receiving it and properly testing it. I never had the original version of Lagerfeld.
    Did you get your hands on it yet?

It hasn't been delivered yet. Hopefully by the weekend.

pfl
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Swap

Ok. I tried the new version. It is not as strong as the COTY version. Also the top notes are different. There is a note in the COTY version that smells like Jovan Musk. Not sure what it is but it has always made Lagerfeld Classic a challenge for me. Ultimately, like Kouros, I decided I really like Lagerfeld but it started as a scrubber and that was for the COTY version. Trying the new version, the note in question is not as present. I would say that is an improvement over the COTY version. I used 4 sprays. If I used 4 sprays on the COTY version, I would be suffering through the top notes. The base is close between the two but I would say for the Interparfums version is less noticeable but a little smoother and less powdery. I think I like the COTY version base slightly more but not by much. Until trying the new version, I would never consider wearing Lagerfeld classic to work. Too strong and too challenging. The new Interparfums version I would have no problem wearing to work as a Friday scent. I like to wear classics on fridays. I still think it is only suitable for cooler weather. I personnaly wouldn't wear this if the temperature was above 60F. If you tried the COTY version and liked the base but was uncomfortable with the first 30 minutes, then this would be a great choice, in my humble opinion.

Basenotes Plus

Ok. I tried the new version. It is not as strong as the COTY version. Also the top notes are different. There is a note in the COTY version that smells like Jovan Musk. Not sure what it is but it has always made Lagerfeld Classic a challenge for me. Ultimately, like Kouros, I decided I really like Lagerfeld but it started as a scrubber and that was for the COTY version. Trying the new version, the note in question is not as present. I would say that is an improvement over the COTY version. I used 4 sprays. If I used 4 sprays on the COTY version, I would be suffering through the top notes. The base is close between the two but I would say for the Interparfums version is less noticeable but a little smoother and less powdery. I think I like the COTY version base slightly more but not by much. Until trying the new version, I would never consider wearing Lagerfeld classic to work. Too strong and too challenging. The new Interparfums version I would have no problem wearing to work as a Friday scent. I like to wear classics on fridays. I still think it is only suitable for cooler weather. I personnaly wouldn't wear this if the temperature was above 60F. If you tried the COTY version and liked the base but was uncomfortable with the first 30 minutes, then this would be a great choice, in my humble opinion.
    I think I might jump on your wear Lagerfeld Classic on Friday idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

Interesting. Thanks a lot for the review!
    What you say about the performance puts me off though. When I tested the Coty version it sucked at performance already, I can't imagine an even worse performance.
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

If you thought the COTY version was not great, I think you would be disappointed in the new one. I know Athens can get really hot. If I lived there, I would wear ADG, versace eau Fraiche, Black Walnut, Burberry for Men, Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme, Prada Amber Pour Homme, and Eau de Rochas. These are some of my favorites for very hot weather.

I know that the Coty version is .4.2 oz. and the Interparfums version is 3.3 oz. Would anyone know if the 5 oz. version is Coty or Interparfums?

Quote Originally Posted by Shave-A-Thon View Post
    I know that the Coty version is .4.2 oz. and the Interparfums version is 3.3 oz. Would anyone know if the 5 oz. version is Coty or Interparfums?
    I think it is interparfums. Coty's version came in 60ml and 125ml bottles. So even if there was another size we were not aware of, it would be stupid to be a 150ml one.

I think it is interparfums. Coty's version came in 60ml and 125ml bottles. So even if there was another size we were not aware of, it would be stupid to be a 150ml one.
    You're correct. I emailed a few vendors and they told me that the 5 oz. bottle is the Interparfums version. Wouldn't it be terrific if some of the vendors would list the version and and manufacturer of fragrances in their description as well as the notes?

Since I posted my last comment in this thread, I did a bit of research and found out that Interparfums will be terminating their license with Lagerfeld earlier than usual. These are the comments I wrote in Scentland's and The Scentinel's excellent reviews of Lagerfeld Classic. I thought I would C&P them here for others to read and to archive it for myself so I can refer back to it if I buy more bottles.

I finally picked up a bottle last year and complained to the vendor about it being 5 years old. Until this afternoon, when I spent several hours researching this fragrance did I realize that the Coty formulation is well liked and 2012 was the last year they had the license (they purchased it from Unilever in 2005: http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Busin...rance-business)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...175615781.html

Although my Coty produced Lagerfeld Classic bottle has a batch code of 3067 and is dated March, 2013, the 20 year agreement with Interparfums started on Oct. 31, 2012:

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.co...Karl-Lagerfeld

Coty was given the right to sell it's remaining stock, so I'm assuming that the March, 2013 batch may have been produced because it took time for Interparfums to get up to speed with their formulation.

To complicate matters, it hasn't been selling and Interparfums must have had an opt out as they terminated the deal: https://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/ne...e_early/127045

Based on the article, I can't tell if they will continue producing the line until 2024 or have totally ceased production, What's amazing is that there are still so many Coty bottles still available since it's been out of their hands for 4 years. It appears that the 4.2 oz/125 ml bottles are the Coty bottles while the 3.4 oz/100 ml and 5 oz/150 mol. bottles are those by Interparfums.

Do you feel that it might be prudent to buy backup bottles of both the Coty and Interparfum formulations while they're still available?
    Interparfums seems to have exercised an opt out clause so that their license will end in 2024 rather than 2032. I'm guessing that Interparfums will still be producing Lagerfeld but just not that often due to their reported lack of sales of the fragrance. As I asked in the comments area of the video, do you think we should buy backup bottles of the Coty and Interparfums versions?

My subsequent comments:

According to the Scentinel's review, it sounds like it's not as strong as the Coty version but he and others seem to indicate it's very close to the original. Sooner or later all those Coty bottles are going to be gone from the discounters and even if Interparfums keeps the license untll 2024, there's no guarantee how often they will be cooking up batches. It would be interesting to see the contracts. Based on the number of Coty bottles out there, there must be a minimum number of bottles that have to be produced during a specified period, so it's possible Interparfums might be forced to produce bottles even if the previous batch has been returned. Obviously, that would flood the market and really create a bargain basement price for Lagerfeld Classic, but time will tell.
    Interparfums bought Lagerfeld from Coty in 2012. Coty bought Lagerfeld from Unilever in 2005. Unilever bought Lagerfeld from Faberge in 1989. I'm not sure if the Faberge Lagerfeld was different from the 1978 version. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/11/bu...erge-deal.html

It would have been interesting to see a comparison of the Unilever and Coty versions to the Interparfums version. What's interesting is that I bought my Coty bottle last year and it has a batch date of March 2013 or about 4 months after the 2012 sale of Lagerfeld from Coty to Interparfums. Considering that Coty hasn't cooked up a batch in over 4 years, it's incredible that every online store still has those Coty 4.2 oz. bottles.
    Here's the video review by Scentland:

This is The Scentinel's review of the Interparfums version
    Last edited by Shave-A-Thon; 3rd September 2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    +1. It's excellent.
    I buy it since the late 90s when I was a teen. Of course my nose has developed and I can't compare to the more vintage stuff. But I'm enjoying this ever since. All versions are good in my book.

I went to retry LC and what I thought was a Coty bottle turned to be a Univeler bottle.
    It is really good, better than what I remember Coty version to be.
    Now I have to hunt for a Interparfums bottle to see if all they say about weaker performance but better smell is true.

I went to retry LC and what I thought was a Coty bottle turned to be a Univeler bottle.
    It is really good, better than what I remember Coty version to be.
    Now I have to hunt for a Interparfums bottle to see if all they say about weaker performance but better smell is true.
    Do you remember when you bought the Unilver bottle? They issued them from 1989 to 2005. The large 8 oz. bottle is now going for $99 new (and more).
    If I would have known how many times this fragance would have changed hands, I would have started buying all of them in 1978! Do you still have a Coty bottle to compare it to? If not, it would be interesting to compare them all. Those 4.2 oz. Coty bottles can't be around forever. They stopped producting them over 4 years ago. I should buy an Interparfuns bottle myself to compare the two and decide if I should buy another Coty bottle.

Do you remember when you bought the Unilver bottle? They issued them from 1989 to 2005. The large 8 oz. bottle is now going for $99 new (and more).
    If I would have known how many times this fragance would have changed hands, I would have started buying all of them in 1978! Do you still have a Coty bottle to compare it to? If not, it would be interesting to compare them all. Those 4.2 oz. Coty bottles can't be around forever. They stopped producting them over 4 years ago. I should buy an Interparfuns bottle myself to compare the two and decide if I should buy another Coty bottle.
    I do not own it went to a store to test it.

Got the Interparfums version.
    Smells really nice and close to the Coty one but feels kinda better blended and it seems to last at least 6 hours with 2 sprays. And compared to the Univeler it is more tamed.

Got the Interparfums version.
    Smells really nice and close to the Coty one but feels kinda better blended and it seems to last at least 6 hours with 2 sprays. And compared to the Univeler it is more tamed.
    Thanks for the comparison. By more tamed, do you mean the Interparfums is less harsh or not as strong in terms of performance and projection of the Unilever version? Would you say Interparfums lasts longer than the Coty version?

Thanks for the comparison. By more tamed, do you mean the Interparfums is less harsh or not as strong in terms of performance and projection of the Unilever version? Would you say Interparfums lasts longer than the Coty version?
    Both I would say but the difference is not that big, there is little to no difference actually between the three versions. Univeler is a bit stronger than the other two and the other two are pretty much the same in terms of performance. However I tried the Coty one about 6 months ago, so the weather might influenced my thoughts.
    I tried the Coty version in cold weather
    The Univeler version in warm weather
    And Interparfums version in cool weather
    So you might better judge on your own.

Had the original version, Coty and recently the Interparfum. The Interparfum version is a bit smoother than the Coty and resembles the original one as being less synthetic. Coty holds up well considering how some reformulations were driven off the cliff, but is much louder than the Interparfum version. I would recommend the Interparfum.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have a 250 ml size splash bottle.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...