Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default John Varvatos Dark Rebel And Dark Rebel Rider?

I have tested both of these and I really like them. They are different than anything I have smelled out there?

What are your guys thoughts on them and which do you like better?

I see JV doesn't get much attention around here but I think its due to performance rather than scent.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: John Varvatos Dark Rebel And Dark Rebel Rider?

Have tried both of them briefly, but personally not a fan of either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I smelled Dark Rebel but not Rider, yet. I thought it was very innovative - standing out amid a lot of less courageous frags currently on the market as new launches. I'm hoping Rider is the same or more so.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Smelled both, own both. The longevity issues are not too far off however these smell like no other designer fragrance out for the most part. The rum in Dark Rider is what drew me there, but it's missing in Dark Rider Rebel but there's other notes that make it seem like a distant cousin of Dark Rider yet different enough where my purchase didn't seem as if they're an overlap.

I like both, lean more towards Dark Rider but if you do get them, spray under your shirt for a bit longer life of the scent. Neither are monstrous sillage.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Bought Dark Rebel for my Brother in Law for Christmas, smells nice. I haven't tried it on myself, just smelled it on him a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Smelled both, own both. The longevity issues are not too far off however these smell like no other designer fragrance out for the most part. The rum in Dark Rider is what drew me there, but it's missing in Dark Rider Rebel but there's other notes that make it seem like a distant cousin of Dark Rider yet different enough where my purchase didn't seem as if they're an overlap.

I like both, lean more towards Dark Rider but if you do get them, spray under your shirt for a bit longer life of the scent. Neither are monstrous sillage.
    Thats what i was going to ask. They are similar yet different enough to own both... I really do like both of them I dont know which one i would buy. When that usually happens i just get both.

Also so you agree the performance is that bad? I dont want something thats gone in a few hours!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by trainer294 View Post
    Thats what i was going to ask. They are similar yet different enough to own both... I really do like both of them I dont know which one i would buy. When that usually happens i just get both.

Also so you agree the performance is that bad? I dont want something thats gone in a few hours!
    I've found myself leaning more towards Dark Rider due to how it just ticks more boxes than Dark Rebel Rider. But I can find merit in both; I suggest testing them both and finding which one you like best. My nose is nowhere near as talented/knowledgeable as the majority here, but I can tell an immediate difference between the two on all aspects of the scent's evolution; however I'm a notorious booze/rum/cognac note lover.

Performance is on the medium-low to low side. I have to be completely honest in that one aspect. If there's anything disappointing about these scents; this the one thing that bothers me. But I rarely spray on just my arms... 2-3 sprays on my chest, more for Dark Rebel Rider to be honest, and that's enough to get 4-6 hours on a good day.

I'd say test it to find your preference if you're not going to buy both and let us know which one you went with! Good luck.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Original Dark Rebel really was a ballsy release - a big ol' stinking castoreum note, front and center, in a designer men's fragrance in 2015!! I found it a far dirtier, more animalic fragrance than anyone gave it credit for, and I was really surprised to see how few people misattributed those qualities to "dirty leather" or "musks". On some days I wasn't in the mood for something that dirty, but surprisingly I got consistent compliments on it when I did wear it. In the drydown it does mellow out to pleasant headshop spices over a sweet base. Side note - the cool looking "cables" that surround the bottle are actually some kind of rubberized plastic with a horrendous off-gassing smell, so don't sniff it from the sprayer.

Dark Rebel Rider was well done but I remember it having little in common with the original. Much more straight ahead incense and woods, with an almost impossibly dry feel (maybe norlimbanol is to blame?) I remember sniffing it side by side with Bentley Intense and finding the two very, very close, so if you're familiar with the Bentley you'll probably have similar feelings about Rider. If anything the Varvatos is more rough and tumble; more smoke and leather and not as refined.

Longevity on both was fine, in the 6-8 hour range. You can clear a room if you overspray. It's worth mentioning that no Varvatos release yet has topped the Platinum Edition for me, which is still available on all the gray market sites.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Blog Entries

Not sure why but Rider is not as good as Dark Rebel which I really like.
    [
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    Not sure why but Rider is not as good as Dark Rebel which I really like.
    Not blips on my radar. I guess I'm waiting for the Dark Rider Pack Mule flanker to come out.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Banned

haha...i am looking at both. I like spicy and incense and leather(like amens leather) I have varvatos vintage and original and platinum...so which to get? Both???At 26.00 a bottle it seems ok....

"I like spicy and incense and leather" - Tobacco leaf (unburnt) and rum are the main drivers of Dark Rebel. I've not tried Rider yet, but it must have more incense.

I find Dark Rebel lasts on me, which isn't terribly common. Many of my recent samples have faded quickly on my skin (Acqua Di Parma Colonia, AdP Colonia Intense, YSL La Nuit de L'Homme, and Eau Sauvage).

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have tried both of them briefly, but personally not a fan of either.
    When it comes to Varvatos, briefly is the only choice.
    No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

They are both vile stuff. I tested Dark Rebel out at the airport, the guy seated next to me demanded switching seats.
    I wear fragrance to smell good to everyone, not just myself

Dependent

I find Rebel to be a better one..rider is too heavy on leather..

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

I'm a fan of Dark Rebel for sure. Behind the heavy birch tar top and leather heart there's a classy fougere that makes wearing it more comfortable. I agree on the longevity statements but if you like the fragrance you should go for it!

Banned

wow very polarizing thoughts

Banned

at the store they both smelled bad...maybe next time i am at nordstroms i will try again....

Banned

thried again and rebel rider was smoother and lasted longer to me.

Amazing fragrance, if they lasted a long time I would buy at a much higher price. I'd love Tom Ford to come in and make Dark Rebel, sign me up!!

I'm always tempted to blind buy one of these when I run into them at some of the discount stores. Maybe someday I will. I'd probably pick up the Dark Rebel first.

dark rebel is ok to me, I think its a good testing fragrance too for people that are getting into niche even potentially as its a designer thats stiill wearable while starting to get a little rough and out there for normal people. Rebel rider Just didnt interest me when I tried it.

Rider is surprisingly good, just not the performance.
    Maybe it’s summer, I think with heat, it’s got medium dose of leather then dries down quickly to resins with hints of spice. Dind’d get any flower at all, despite leather, I’m constantly reminded with bits and bobs of Amber Sultan.
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Blog Entries

I like Dark Rebel. Opening with Rum and Tobacco, spicy with black pepper. Dries down to a close to the skin scent more gourmand with vanilla and rum notes. A very nice fragrance, but lacks projection after an hour.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Banned

love dark rebel rider.....so i wonder if i will like dark rebel as much????? No testers at nordstroms but they did have rider.

Rider felt like a hollowed out / cheaper ingredients version of Bentley Absolute. Original Dark Rebel is its own thing entirely; very animalic and oily, headshoppy. There's a Mugler-esque sweet patchouli base (patchouli isn't listed in the notes but Akigala wood is a special fractionated patchouli oil from Giavaudan). I also get insane performance, like 10+ hours from it.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Dark Rebel is really unique in my opinion, at least compared to all the other designer fragrances available at stores like Macy's. It's way too strong to work for me, but I really enjoy the scent. In fact, I regret not snatching it up when it was available at the discount stores because it'd be nice just to have in my collection.

Dark Rebel Rider is really heavy and really sweet. Almost like Dr. Pepper on steroids. As soon as I sprayed it on my arm I had to find a restroom to wash it off. The bottle is great though.

I prefer Dark Rebel over Rider. And yes, there's nothing like it afaik.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

Both are nasty stuff. I made a mistake of testing each in DFS before a flight on two separate occasions. The passengers around me were not amused.
    I wear fragrance to smell good to everyone, not just myself

A person who left a comment on the NST review page of DR said it was loaded with iso e super (DRR hadn't been released yet), so I'm wondering if anyone else detected this. I found a great deal on 125 ml of DRR so I read the reviews and decided to blind buy it, though those reviews were quite varied (comparisons to Ambre Sultan are the most promising, in terms of my preferences). I'll update with a review of that one when I get the bottle.