Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 83 of 83
o
  1. #61

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    According to Cleopatra’s Boudoir, Fragonard did a Shalimar dupe known as Reve Indien.

    https://cleopatrasboudoir.blogspot.c...fumes.html?m=1
    As you can probably guess, I went on the hunt for this almost immediately after Zealot Crusader posted the link for Fragonard dupes! And...ta-da! It is still in production; available at a very reasonable price for a big bottle. Of course, being fussy, I'd rather find an older bottle for a truly proper Shalimar comparison. But I may go ahead and cave on a new bottle, if no luck. I'll report back (and send you some!) if I end up with it!
    Currently wearing: No. 19 Poudré by Chanel

  2. #62

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    As you can probably guess, I went on the hunt for this almost immediately after Zealot Crusader posted the link for Fragonard dupes! And...ta-da! It is still in production; available at a very reasonable price for a big bottle. Of course, being fussy, I'd rather find an older bottle for a truly proper Shalimar comparison. But I may go ahead and cave on a new bottle, if no luck. I'll report back (and send you some!) if I end up with it!
    Awesome! I saw they had a big vintage on on eBay...
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  3. #63

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Awesome! I saw they had a big vintage on on eBay...
    An enormous vintage! Though I question exactly how vintage, since it seems to be the current packaging. (Edit: it seems the packaging has never changed, so this bottle could be at least 12 yrs. old). Nonetheless, I was (and am) tempted; the liquid does seem to show some age. The only thing holding me back is the giant near-7 oz. size!

    What I did do is order a 2ml mini for you and I to try out, Kotori. And I'll hope that big bottle doesn't go anywhere for just a bit, lol. Should I end up with that, I'll send samples out to all the Fragonerds (and anyone else for that matter; at that size!), if they're interested. The mini should arrive around the 25th; will make you a little sprayer as soon as it arrives!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 16th June 2018 at 12:18 AM.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 Poudré by Chanel

  4. #64

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    An enormous vintage! Though I question exactly how vintage, since it seems to be the current packaging. (Edit: it seems the packaging has never changed, so this bottle could be at least 12 yrs. old). Nonetheless, I was (and am) tempted; the liquid does seem to show some age. The only thing holding me back is the giant near-7 oz. size!

    What I did do is order a 2ml mini for you and I to try out, Kotori. And I'll hope that big bottle doesn't go anywhere for just a bit, lol. Should I end up with that, I'll send samples out to all the Fragonerds (and anyone else for that matter; at that size!), if they're interested. The mini should arrive around the 25th; will make you a little sprayer as soon as it arrives!
    Eeee!!! Thank you!!!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  5. #65

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    On the niche side, I'd add Unum's Opus 1144: a bold, creamy and sweeter take on the original (not for those on a diet).
    I recently scored a sample of Opus 1144 by Unum, with a Twisted Lily purchase, and I'm testing it tonight. It really is like a Shalimar creme brûlée. The bit of elemi in the opening gives it a liturgical or spa flair, but otherwise the openings is quite Shalimar. At the outset, I'm unsure of why anyone would buy this at its price point when they could pick up a discount bottle of Shalimar for so much less. Then we hit the heart and it has an even more rich, custardy, dark vanilla than even Mexique has. Breathtaking and foolhardy in its decadence.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  6. #66

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    I am testing Ormonde Jayne Tolu this morning and I find a strong reference to Shalimar here. The notes don’t match at all, but the overall effect of Tolu is a classic oriental composition that is a study in harmonious contrasts, much like the Grand Dame herself.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  7. #67
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    37,375

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I recently scored a sample of Opus 1144 by Unum, with a Twisted Lily purchase, and I'm testing it tonight. It really is like a Shalimar creme brûlée. The bit of elemi in the opening gives it a liturgical or spa flair, but otherwise the openings is quite Shalimar. At the outset, I'm unsure of why anyone would buy this at its price point when they could pick up a discount bottle of Shalimar for so much less. Then we hit the heart and it has an even more rich, custardy, dark vanilla than even Mexique has. Breathtaking and foolhardy in its decadence.
    I have a sample also. I need to wear it - I'll probably wear it in the Fall.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  8. #68

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have a sample also. I need to wear it - I'll probably wear it in the Fall.
    It’s perfect for Fall.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  9. #69

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Reve Indien by FragonardThank you, PerfumedLady!!!

    The opening and heart of Reve Indien remind me a lot of Bijou Romantique and Miller Harris Fleur Oriental: brighter and rosier than Shalimar, and lacking the sharp bergamot opening, but still an obvious relation. I expected it to be powdery, but it isn’t. Instead, Reve Indien is golden and alittle spicy. That part is reminiscent of Shaal Nur by Etro.The drydown is also interesting. It’s a more true vanilla than Shalimar’s; more like the vanilla in Unum 1144. But there’s a woody base here that’s foreign in Shalimarland. Overall this scent is a beautiful one, and also poor choice for me to test on this 100 degree day here in Memphis. I must test again when the weather abates.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  10. #70

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by *dora* View Post
    It's been a long time since I tried it, but I remember Cadjmere 18 by Parfumerie Generale
    reminded me of Shalimar, especially in the drydown.
    It is similar. Kind of Shalimar in a pine forest. I really enjoyed that one. Finished a 5 ml decant this winter.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  11. #71

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    I am still thinking of The Body Shop Smoky Poppy as a bath shop Shalimar.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

    She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

    "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26125293.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26125293.jpg"> Hypnôse by Lancôme</a></div>

  12. #72

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am still thinking of The Body Shop Smoky Poppy as a bath shop Shalimar.
    Do they still make it?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  13. #73

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Old thread bump:

    I recently acquired a sample of Carthusia’s Ligea “La Sirena.” I agree that it has Shalimar roots. It’s also got something else familiar in the base— maybe Opium or Emeraude?

    It’s like a Shalimar/Opium with an orange creamsicle topnote. A great option for oriental lovers who live in hot climates.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  14. #74
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    45,045

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Old thread bump:

    I recently acquired a sample of Carthusia’s Ligea “La Sirena.” I agree that it has Shalimar roots. It’s also got something else familiar in the base— maybe Opium or Emeraude?

    It’s like a Shalimar/Opium with an orange creamsicle topnote. A great option for oriental lovers who live in hot climates.
    I always thought Creed Angelique Encens shared some resemblance to Shalimar. Whenever I wear AE, I'm reminded of Shalimar, I do think it's Creed's interpretation of it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  15. #75

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I always thought Creed Angelique Encens shared some resemblance to Shalimar. Whenever I wear AE, I'm reminded of Shalimar, I do think it's Creed's interpretation of it.
    I can definitely see that, NCal.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  16. #76

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Finally catching up with this thread! Something learned in Angel seminars that Mugler used to host in Montréal about 20 years ago: one of the three facets of Angel was based on Shalimar and the Guerlinade. Mugler wanted it in there to capture his memory of when his mom, all dressed up and wearing Shalimar, would kiss him goodnight before going out in the evening. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that aspect any more in today's Angel.

    Another reference is Annick Goutal Passion. It does not smell exactly like Shalimar but was inspired by Shalimar and as a tribute to the Guerlain trio of Eau de Cologne Impériale, Jicky and Shalimar, which were succeedingly based on the former one. Goutal started with Eau d'Hadrien, which then morphed into Folavril, upon which Passion was built.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

    Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

  17. #77
    Basenotes Plus

    tdem1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    9,563

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Alain Delon Lyra smells a lot like Shalimar, maybe sweeter and more powdery. I enjoy it, and that’s coming from a vintage Shalimar lover. There are a couple of listings on eBay. The prices vary, but one 1 ounce bottle is going for under $15 shipped.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

  18. #78
    Basenotes Plus

    Kitty2Shoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    660

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    I'm still kicking myself for not picking up Shalimar Ode a la Vanilla Sur la Route Mexique and Madagascar. One of these days....
    Something something....something....

    Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed

  19. #79

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Finally catching up with this thread! Something learned in Angel seminars that Mugler used to host in Montréal about 20 years ago: one of the three facets of Angel was based on Shalimar and the Guerlinade. Mugler wanted it in there to capture his memory of when his mom, all dressed up and wearing Shalimar, would kiss him goodnight before going out in the evening. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that aspect any more in today's Angel.

    Another reference is Annick Goutal Passion. It does not smell exactly like Shalimar but was inspired by Shalimar and as a tribute to the Guerlain trio of Eau de Cologne Impériale, Jicky and Shalimar, which were succeedingly based on the former one. Goutal started with Eau d'Hadrien, which then morphed into Folavril, upon which Passion was built.
    I hadn’t heard the connections to Angel and Passion. Interesting!

    Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Alain Delon Lyra smells a lot like Shalimar, maybe sweeter and more powdery. I enjoy it, and that’s coming from a vintage Shalimar lover. There are a couple of listings on eBay. The prices vary, but one 1 ounce bottle is going for under $15 shipped.
    That’s not bad!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I'm still kicking myself for not picking up Shalimar Ode a la Vanilla Sur la Route Mexique and Madagascar. One of these days....
    Du Mexique is my current drug of choice.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

  20. #80
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    155
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    RE: Love your newly-coined term: Shalimarites.

    I suppose, being true to the spirit of the thing, they could be Shalimarettes...

  21. #81
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    45,045

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I'm still kicking myself for not picking up Shalimar Ode a la Vanilla Sur la Route Mexique and Madagascar. One of these days....
    You might get a good opportunity if you create a thread in the Fragrance Wanted thread.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  22. #82
    Basenotes Plus

    Kitty2Shoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    660

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    You might get a good opportunity if you create a thread in the Fragrance Wanted thread.
    True - thanks for the suggestion!
    Something something....something....

    Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed

  23. #83

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendants

    I would like to add ELDO Bijou Romantique. Big Shalimar vibes for me. Was this already mentioned?

    Edit: I saw this in the third page!
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

    She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

    "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26125293.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26125293.jpg"> Hypnôse by Lancôme</a></div>




Similar Threads

  1. Is Eau de Shalimar as unisex as regular Shalimar?
    By superfluousPastry in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd February 2017, 09:07 PM
  2. If I love Shalimar EDP would Shalimar Extrait be a good blind buy?
    By cannotavoidtrite in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25th October 2015, 03:17 PM
  3. question about Shalimar Eau Légère / Shalimar Light / Eau de Shalimar
    By granola357 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13th September 2011, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000