Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 83
o
  1. #1

    Default Shalimar Descendants

    Classic Shalimar, while originally perhaps borrowing from Emeraude or Jicky, has given birth to several generations of oriental fragrances, and I feel that many modern fragrances have riffed on Shalimar's structure or theme. Some incorporate the citrus/vanilla/musks; some evoke the cozy feeling using other materials.

    Some examples I can think of:

    Chantilly- uses orange instead of bergamot, adds a healthy dose of sandalwood, a dash of patchouli, and leaves out the iris.

    L de Lolita- uses orange instead of bergamot, dials up the coumarin/cinnamon, and uses immortal flower instead of Iris, Jasmine, and Rose.

    Sira des Indes- uses banana/pear and berries along with the bergamot, Cardamom instead of cinnamon, and champaca instead of the Iris, Jasmine, and Rose, and sandalwood instead of tonka and oppoponax.

    Fils de Dieu- uses lime, shiso, and coconut instead of bergamot, Cardamom instead of cinnamon, and adds vetiver and leather to the musky/tonka base while keeping the Jasmine and rose heart.

    Add to my list, and add your thoughts on the ones I've included.
    Last edited by Kotori; 27th September 2017 at 01:46 AM.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  2. #2

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,528
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    lmperial Opoponax by Les Nereides: packs a punch of bergamot in the opening, & a deep, resinous opoponax drydown.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  3. #3
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    1,231

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    There are, of course, the flankers of Shalimar (1925), I have a decant of Sur la Route du Mexique (2013), and I have a couple men's fragrances I think smell similar to Shalimar: Guerlain housemate Habit Rouge edc and Lagerfeld Classic.

  4. #4

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,528
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Le Labo's Labdanum 18 also has echoes of Shalimar.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  5. #5
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    There is Coty's Emeraude, but it technically came 4 years earlier than the Guerlain cornerstone. I find significant similarities, including the unisex factor.

    Charge: not reading the OP

    Verdict: GUILTY


  6. #6

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lmperial Opoponax by Les Nereides: packs a punch of bergamot in the opening, & a deep, resinous opoponax drydown.
    teardrop, I have never smelled that one, although I remember its name from my early days on Basenotes. I'll have to check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    There are, of course, the flankers of Shalimar (1925), I have a decant of Sur la Route du Mexique (2013), and I have a couple men's fragrances I think smell similar to Shalimar: Guerlain housemate Habit Rouge edc and Lagerfeld Classic.

    Bavard, I love Shalimar Sur La Route du Mexique. Got a FB earlier this year. The Mexican vainilla and smoke and leather I smell make this version incredibly special; it's the only version of Shalimar I currently have in my collection. My dad used to wear Lagerfeld Classic; interesting. I haven't smelled that in years. And Habit Rouge--- that's been awhile, too. Any other men's fragrances that are siblings or descendents?

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Le Labo's Labdanum 18 also has echoes of Shalimar.
    Yes, of course, you're right, teardrop. I just added that one to my collection a week ago. It reminds me of vintage Chantilly, too... aldehydes? But more than Shalimar, Labdanum 18 first reminded me of Helmut Lang, but perhaps softer.

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    There is Coty's Emeraude, but it technically came 4 years earlier than the Guerlain cornerstone. I find significant similarities, including the unisex factor.

    Charge: not reading the OP

    Verdict: GUILTY

    IsoESuperman, Lol! Of course Emeraude is a relative. And I'm sure it was lovelier before reformulations.

    Since we've mentioned its two siblings, L de Lolita and Labdanum 18, would Musc Ravageur also be a Shalimar descendent?
    Last edited by Kotori; 8th January 2017 at 01:47 AM.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  7. #7

    Oviatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles and New York City
    Posts
    5,149

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Musc Ravageur is very much a child of Shalimar, in my opinion.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

  8. #8

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Fils de Dieu by ELdO is a great suggestion, Kotori.

    I also think their Bijou Romantique is Shalimar-inspired:
    Bergamot, Italian lemon, pink pepper essence, ylang-ylang, clary sage, Tuscan iris, Jungle Essence coconut, Haitian vetiver, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla.

    Another one is Fragonard Rose Ambre: bergamot and black currant, rose and almonds, tonka, vanilla, amber and patchouli.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

    She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

    "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26125293.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26125293.jpg"> Hypnôse by Lancôme</a></div>

  9. #9

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Miller Harris Fleur Oriental is very Shalimar.

    I own Imperial Opoponax by Les Nereides bought for £9.99 in TKMaxx a few years back. It does have a thick resinous Shalimar vibe.
    DONNA

  10. #10
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    46,538

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Creed Angelique Encens. Instead of the bergamot that's present in the Shalimar opening there's Angelica. Floral notes of rose and jasmine are present in heart while the drydown contains vanilla, incense, and amber. The leather from Shalimar is substituted with Amber.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  11. #11
    Dependent Vernona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Split
    Posts
    2,575

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    The new Kilian Noir Aphrodisiaque fits the bill too. Bergamot and smoky, leathery vanilla. When I sprayed it on, my first thought was Shalimar.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Beyond Love by By Kilian

  12. #12
    Dependent saminlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,647

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    On the niche side, I'd add Unum's Opus 1144: a bold, creamy and sweeter take on the original (not for those on a diet).

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus

    tdem1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    9,647

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Carthusia Ligea La Sirena. Avon's Timeless always reminded me of Shalimar, too.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Trésor (new) by Lancôme

  14. #14

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Wow! So many new things to sniff! What diverse additions!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  15. #15
    The power of bleu

    shadesofbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jayhawk country!
    Posts
    14,618

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Paul & Joe Bleu is very Shalimar-ish. I think Bleu has a little more amber, a little less smokiness, and a lot more powder. I like it a lot!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Lilac Love by Amouage

  16. #16

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    The new Kilian Noir Aphrodisiaque fits the bill too. Bergamot and smoky, leathery vanilla. When I sprayed it on, my first thought was Shalimar.
    Vernona, I wonder if it's similar to Shalimar Sur la Route du Mexique? I find that one to be smoky and leathery.

    Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    On the niche side, I'd add Unum's Opus 1144: a bold, creamy and sweeter take on the original (not for those on a diet).
    That's funny! I always referred to Shalimar Light as "Diet Shalimar." But a richer version sounds delicious. And anything named "opus" has an automatic advantage for me, being a music lover.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Carthusia Ligea La Sirena. Avon's Timeless always reminded me of Shalimar, too.
    Of all the times I've sniffed Carthusia, and I can't recall this one!

    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Paul & Joe Bleu is very Shalimar-ish. I think Bleu has a little more amber, a little less smokiness, and a lot more powder. I like it a lot!
    Ooh, [B]Shades[\B], that does sound nice!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  17. #17
    Dependent Vernona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Split
    Posts
    2,575

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Vernona, I wonder if it's similar to Shalimar Sur la Route du Mexique? I find that one to be smoky and leathery
    Yes, it is!! With some extra chocolate! You can read my impressions on the Sample of the day thread.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Beyond Love by By Kilian

  18. #18

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    [QUOTE=tdem1961;4030731]Carthusia Ligea La Sirena.

    Agree with this one, especially the edp version.
    DONNA

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    4,173

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Etro Shaal-Nur smells like Shalimar with more citrus, incense up to 11, plus peppery spices, minus the vanilla and ventilated with vetiver. Amouage Fate Woman smells like the love child of Shalimar and Chamade, only born in Oman and then educated in Texas (the touch of chili heat smells exactly right to my picky Texan nose)--it shouldn't work, but it does and it's gorgeous.



  20. #20

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    It's been a long time since I tried it, but I remember Cadjmere 18 by Parfumerie Generale
    reminded me of Shalimar, especially in the drydown.

    Currently wearing: Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    4,173

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    I almost forgot SHL777 Khol de Bahrein. It's like Shalimar, less citrus and powder, with immortelle, wafting gloriously out of a vat of iris.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    As a rather belated addition, from a personal opinion and in a certain way, even Songe d`un Bois d`Ete achieves this, from a very "contemporary niche" perspective- there may be some "modern leather", updated/revamped Guerlinade, Western-style oud and also some fresher, unisex, translucent, smart-casual florals to it.

    And yet behind/deep within this, a certain quite unique Shalimar richness lurks as well, with all its vanllic richness and luxuriousness improbably but unexpectedly successfully combined in an apparently dissonant yet daringly balanced, ultimately just flawlessly crafted buildup.

    From the ones listed in the thread-starting post, can perfectly second mostly Chantilly- a quite unique take on Shalimar style notes in its own right.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

  23. #23

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    I agree about Musc Ravageur and Angelique Encens. I would add Ambre Precieux (in the drydown very much so for me) and Or des Indes.

  24. #24
    Nairn
    Guest

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    Etro Shaal-Nur smells like Shalimar with more citrus, incense up to 11, plus peppery spices, minus the vanilla and ventilated with vetiver.
    This ^^. Shaal Nur is a true sibling to Shalimar.
    But karo karounde and cassis make it more than a mere comparison, its an amazing scent in its own right.
    I've bottles from 2000 (the old white print on maroon box) and they are still simply grand.
    The new stuff doesnt smell like the old one- similar - but doesn't have that crystalline edge of true Shalimarites.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Paul & Joe Bleu is very Shalimar-ish. I think Bleu has a little more amber, a little less smokiness, and a lot more powder. I like it a lot!
    Took it away on holiday, wore it lots. Discontinued now I think
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew

  26. #26

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by *dora* View Post
    It's been a long time since I tried it, but I remember Cadjmere 18 by Parfumerie Generale
    reminded me of Shalimar, especially in the drydown.
    Have a sample on the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    Etro Shaal-Nur smells like Shalimar with more citrus, incense up to 11, plus peppery spices, minus the vanilla and ventilated with vetiver. Amouage Fate Woman smells like the love child of Shalimar and Chamade, only born in Oman and then educated in Texas (the touch of chili heat smells exactly right to my picky Texan nose)--it shouldn't work, but it does and it's gorgeous.


    Agree about Shaal Nur, and I don't forgotten about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    I almost forgot SHL777 Khol de Bahrein. It's like Shalimar, less citrus and powder, with immortelle, wafting gloriously out of a vat of iris.
    That does sound glorious. I'm a big Iris lover, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    As a rather belated addition, from a personal opinion and in a certain way, even Songe d`un Bois d`Ete achieves this, from a very "contemporary niche" perspective- there may be some "modern leather", updated/revamped Guerlinade, Western-style oud and also some fresher, unisex, translucent, smart-casual florals to it.

    And yet behind/deep within this, a certain quite unique Shalimar richness lurks as well, with all its vanllic richness and luxuriousness improbably but unexpectedly successfully combined in an apparently dissonant yet daringly balanced, ultimately just flawlessly crafted buildup.

    From the ones listed in the thread-starting post, can perfectly second mostly Chantilly- a quite unique take on Shalimar style notes in its own right.
    Sounds like something I need to try!

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I agree about Musc Ravageur and Angelique Encens. I would add Ambre Precieux (in the drydown very much so for me) and Or des Indes.
    Definitely need to try Angelique Encens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn View Post
    This ^^. Shaal Nur is a true sibling to Shalimar.
    But karo karounde and cassis make it more than a mere comparison, its an amazing scent in its own right.
    I've bottles from 2000 (the old white print on maroon box) and they are still simply grand.
    The new stuff doesnt smell like the old one- similar - but doesn't have that crystalline edge of true Shalimarites.
    Love your newly-coined term: Shalimarites.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Can't believe I missed this thread as I love Shalimar!

    Anyway I would like to add

    Or des Indes Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: This is like a zoom into the resinous opoponax aspect of Shalimar, very nice.

    When ever I spray L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme my wife says it reminds her of Shalimar which I can understand, but then it takes a different course.

    Roja Dove semi-bespoke #6 is a super civity riff on Shalimar.

    And lastly I never really go the supposedly deep connection between Jicky and Shalimar until I smelled Jicky extrait from the 60's then it all made complete sense.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Kashnoir by Laborattorio Olfactivo is a dead ringer for Shalimar

  29. #29

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Hi Joe C. I have the EDP of MPG's Or des Indes, purchased in spite of Luca Turin's review "MPG does Shalimar, Buy Shalimar" Haha. Brevity is the soul of wit.
    And of course it is a contender. I find quite of bit of Or des Indes in Vol de Nuit also. Well mentioned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Can't believe I missed this thread as I love Shalimar!

    Anyway I would like to add

    Or des Indes Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: This is like a zoom into the resinous opoponax aspect of Shalimar, very nice.

    When ever I spray L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme my wife says it reminds her of Shalimar which I can understand, but then it takes a different course.

    Roja Dove semi-bespoke #6 is a super civity riff on Shalimar.

    And lastly I never really go the supposedly deep connection between Jicky and Shalimar until I smelled Jicky extrait from the 60's then it all made complete sense.
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew

  30. #30

    Default Re: Shalimar Descendents

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I agree about Musc Ravageur and Angelique Encens. I would add Ambre Precieux (in the drydown very much so for me) and Or des Indes.

    Larimar, you had already mentioned Or des Indes. Do you wear it much? I have the EDP and I confess I don't wear it as much as I thought I would. Perhaps the clunky bottle puts me off. I have just ordered the old eau de cologne of Shalimar, don't know the new. Being a Bal a Versailles girl from waaay back a little skank is always singing that siren call
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew




Similar Threads

  1. Is Eau de Shalimar as unisex as regular Shalimar?
    By superfluousPastry in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd February 2017, 08:07 PM
  2. If I love Shalimar EDP would Shalimar Extrait be a good blind buy?
    By cannotavoidtrite in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25th October 2015, 02:17 PM
  3. question about Shalimar Eau Légère / Shalimar Light / Eau de Shalimar
    By granola357 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13th September 2011, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000