Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommend a young Tom Ford fragrance

My buddy is graduating from law school very soon. He's a younger guy (24), and has always been a fan of Tom Ford (clothes, suits, sunglasses, etc.).
    As a graduation gift, I'd like to buy him a bottle of TF. However, the ones I have tried seemed to be geared towards the more mature crowd. It's funny...as a fan of TF fragrances, I can't seem to think of one that would fit the bill.
    Is there a TF fragrance that's classy, yet also a crowd pleaser (he'll be working with women around his age)? He's more into fragrances that smell nice and garner compliments - he still has my newly-acquired bottle of Bleu De Chanel...
    As odd is this may sound, I'm looking for something that would give off a "classy young lawyer" vibe.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 9th January 2017 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: Recommend a young Tom Ford fragrance

Grey Vetiver is my suggestion--total classy young lawyer vibe.
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Ungaro II by Ungaro

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Another one for Grey Vetiver (EdP).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    My buddy is graduating from law school very soon. He's a younger guy (24), and has always been a fan of Tom Ford (clothes, suits, sunglasses, etc.).
    As a graduation gift, I'd like to buy him a bottle of TF. However, the ones I have tried seemed to be geared towards the more mature crowd. It's funny...as a fan of TF fragrances, I can't seem to think of one that would fit the bill.
    Is there a TF fragrance that's classy, yet also a crowd pleaser (he'll be working with women around his age)? He's more into fragrances that smell nice and garner compliments - he still has my newly-acquired bottle of Bleu De Chanel...
    As odd is this may sound, I'm looking for something that would give off a "classy young lawyer" vibe.
    That's a nice gesture on your part! Perhaps you might try Grey Vetiver. Most people seem to like that one. As far as the private blend line, a lot of them seem to be either polarizing or not office safe. Neroli Portofino smells fresh and clean and I think it is office safe.

Your buddy will enjoy wearing a nice fragrance when he is pulling his hair out studying for the bar exam.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Grey Vetiver would be my suggestion as well, hands down. EDP would be just a bonus! That's nice of you.

Blog Entries

Totally agree about Grey Vetiver. Perfect.

For "downtime" away from work, he might like a Private Blend, too, with their fancy bottles and strong fragrances - very appealing to a true Fordie, and a kind of dresser-candy he would love. One that always struck me as good for his type is Italian Cypress. It has the retro vibe of Polo green, but clearly modern and cool. Pure Tom Ford gravitas.
    Currently wearing: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Though, honestly speaking, this combination of youth, masculinity, women, rite of passage and coming of age, classy and crowd pleasing scent aura - this sounds very much like a CREED kind of situation.

GV is the obvious choice. Tuscan leather could work IMO. It is young smelling, and I believe ties in well with the typical TF aesthetic that your friend likes.

Neroli Portofino.
    MadHat Scents

Brineapple (Pineapple, Guava, Ylang Ylang, Marine Notes, Green Tea, Cade, Guaiacwood, Cedar Wood, Ozone) / Fur - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu) / Winter XVI (Tree Saps, Extractions and Resins, Bois des Landes, Bourbon Vetiver, Spearmint, Frankincense & Myrrh) / L.O.M. Leather Oud Musk (Leather, Oud, Musk, Beeswax, Tobacco, Strawberry, Incense & Amber)

Oud Wood or Noir Extreme for compliment factor.

Vetivers, lol.

Neroli Portofino

Grey Vetiver is probably as close as you'll get to what you're looking for.

Tuscan Leather is another one that springs to mind but I find it hard to wear as an every day scent.

Personally, something like Green Irish Tweed might work better, even though it's not a TF.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Grey Vetiver is my suggestion--total classy young lawyer vibe.
    If I had to pick one, I'd pick this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

GV would be a good choice; another would be the new release, Vert des Bois.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    GV would be a good choice; another would be the new release, Vert des Bois.
    Interesting! I really need to smell Vert des Bois, expecially if it fits this task.

Grey vetiver is the obvious choice, as said.
    But perhaps you wanted a more expensive private blend. The entries in that range for fresh & young are the various Neroli portofino and similar, which are quite expensive for what they are.

So perhaps since he's graduating why not go for the typical TF ones, like Tuscan Leather or an Oud?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Interesting! I really need to smell Vert des Bois, expecially if it fits this task.
    Vert Des Bois is a throwback to me. Not something i would recommend for someone "young" as the Op mentioned.

OP, i would lean towards a freshie like Mandarino D' Amalfi, Costa Azzura or Neroli Portofino Forter. Or even better, surprise him with a trip to the store and let him pick one he likes out.

Neroli Portifino Forte

I would also say Grey Vetiver, but look into the Eau de Toilette version. The EDP has a bit of a more "serious, mature" vibe, where as the EDT is still classy and mature...but also has a more youthful and casual feel to it.

Either would be perfectly fine, but since everyone else is suggesting the EDP...I wanted to think outside the box and a little more mainstream and didn't want the EDT to be totally neglected. Especially considering the person it is intended for.
    Last edited by SportsFan; 9th January 2017 at 08:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Vert Des Bois is a throwback to me. Not something i would recommend for someone "young" as the Op mentioned.
    Now I really have to sniff it! Differing opinions are always a good sign for an interesting fragrance.

I would also go with Grey Vetiver EDP. Neroli Portofino is also a good suggestion.
    Currently wearing: Avant Garde by Lanvin

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Though, honestly speaking, this combination of youth, masculinity, women, rite of passage and coming of age, classy and crowd pleasing scent aura - this sounds very much like a CREED kind of situation.
    haha well played; can't say is not true

I have sampled many, many fragrances of Tom Ford and while I enjoy several, they are not going to be 'for everyone'. The most 'safe' scent I've ever smelled that is expensive, high quality (and smells it) and is most universally complimented is Creed's Green Irish Tweed. You are virtually guaranteed to impress and will not disappoint.

The Tom Fords that are most 'friendly' to a mass group are:
    Tom Ford for Men (deep masculine citrus)
    Tom Ford Extreme (dark but amazing masculine character)
    Tom Noir Extreme (a spicy, minor floral and leather mix)
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (a unisex floral that can work for men, and when it fits the character it's a great one)

I think you should try out these basics first before moving over to the Private Collection stuff (except Neroli Portofino, which is excellent)

Remember that each of these fragrances match a certain type of character/personality. These won't fit every personality as a signature scent. So, it's important for you to smell them on multiple trips after your nose "resets" and you can smell them again.

I advise doing what I do:

1. pick a weekend when you'll be at home with plenty of time on your hands to do things around the house and can revisit this to smell periodically.
    2. Obtain small samples of each fragrance, DON'T try to smell them in succession at the store all at once!!!!
    3. Take them home and take a paper towel sheet, one for each fragrance, label them with the fragrance names
    4. Spray ONE ONLY.
    5. DO NOT smell it yet!!!
    6. Let the fragrance settle on the paper towel for at least 20 minutes and then smell it and remember what you smell because THAT is the 'opening' of the fragrance.
    7. wait until about another 45 minutes and smell it again. Note if the fragrance changes in character.
    8. re-smell the paper towel every hour until it settles down into a consistent smell. It may take 5 or 6 hours and that is your final dry down.

Repeat this with the other fragrances. If you have more than 2 fragrances, then do 2 at a time. You should do no more than 2 at a time, up to 4 fragrance evaluations per day and 8 for a weekend. Keep all the paper towel sheets on a counter the entire weekend and you can revisit them and re-smell any of them at any time because their scent will still be detectable for up to 3 days.

This method allows my nose the ability to smell a low-power version of the fragrance and allows my nose time to 'recover' between smellings. I have been able to audition fragrances using this method with much more detail and can appreciate their true qualities and character. Then you should be able to choose a fragrance that you think will fit his character.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Oud Wood is very popular and I think would work well - could even get the gift set that comes with body spray and moisturizer. Seems age group agnostic enough. I'd also recommend Ombre Leather 16 for a real subtle but classy scent that would work well in a law office or corporate environment.

Also agree with the recommendations for Neroli Portofino and Mandarino di Amalfi. Can't go wrong there.

Seconding especially the Grey Vetiver EDT

Thanks, everyone! You've all been incredibly helpful.

As far as I can tell, I should choose between Grey Vetiver (I almost forgot that it was a TF fragrance), and Neroli Portofino. I'll have to get my hands on a sample of the latter before committing to it. It might be a tad too floral for him.

User of Toilet Water

Get him a 100ml bottle of Oud Wood and advise him to overspray.

Oud Wood for 3 seasons Mandarino di amalfi for summer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I have sampled many, many fragrances of Tom Ford and while I enjoy several, they are not going to be 'for everyone'. The most 'safe' scent I've ever smelled that is expensive, high quality (and smells it) and is most universally complimented is Creed's Green Irish Tweed. You are virtually guaranteed to impress and will not disappoint.

The Tom Fords that are most 'friendly' to a mass group are:
    Tom Ford for Men (deep masculine citrus)
    Tom Ford Extreme (dark but amazing masculine character)
    Tom Noir Extreme (a spicy, minor floral and leather mix)
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (a unisex floral that can work for men, and when it fits the character it's a great one)

I think you should try out these basics first before moving over to the Private Collection stuff (except Neroli Portofino, which is excellent)

Remember that each of these fragrances match a certain type of character/personality. These won't fit every personality as a signature scent. So, it's important for you to smell them on multiple trips after your nose "resets" and you can smell them again.

I advise doing what I do:

1. pick a weekend when you'll be at home with plenty of time on your hands to do things around the house and can revisit this to smell periodically.
    2. Obtain small samples of each fragrance, DON'T try to smell them in succession at the store all at once!!!!
    3. Take them home and take a paper towel sheet, one for each fragrance, label them with the fragrance names
    4. Spray ONE ONLY.
    5. DO NOT smell it yet!!!
    6. Let the fragrance settle on the paper towel for at least 20 minutes and then smell it and remember what you smell because THAT is the 'opening' of the fragrance.
    7. wait until about another 45 minutes and smell it again. Note if the fragrance changes in character.
    8. re-smell the paper towel every hour until it settles down into a consistent smell. It may take 5 or 6 hours and that is your final dry down.

Repeat this with the other fragrances. If you have more than 2 fragrances, then do 2 at a time. You should do no more than 2 at a time, up to 4 fragrance evaluations per day and 8 for a weekend. Keep all the paper towel sheets on a counter the entire weekend and you can revisit them and re-smell any of them at any time because their scent will still be detectable for up to 3 days.

This method allows my nose the ability to smell a low-power version of the fragrance and allows my nose time to 'recover' between smellings. I have been able to audition fragrances using this method with much more detail and can appreciate their true qualities and character. Then you should be able to choose a fragrance that you think will fit his character.
    Hahaha! Congratulations!

You have an M.O., which means you've reached true frag-head BNer status, and in only half a year here. Impressive!

Being systematic like this has saved me a lot of cash. I hope new fragrance fans pay attention. My house is littered with testers sometimes. When I'm too cheap to use real test papers, I use cut-up coffee filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I am an attorney (though no longer a young one), but I bought this late last year and have worn it several times to the office. I find the green notes give it a younger feel than the more traditional wood-centric scents. I would be interested to get your take on this one, Red.