Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Oh my! What to do for warmer weather??

Hi BN'ers!

New to BN (first post here), and pretty much new to the fragrance world. Not sure "new to the fragrance world" is appropriate.. heck I'm pushing 50, and have worn perfume off and on all my life (although not much). I'll rephrase.. new appreciation for fragrances/scents. Recently, I have tested, fallen in love with, and purchased:

Black Orchid
    Velvet Orchid
    Black Opium
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Angel Muse
    Si Intense

I love how I feel wearing these fragrances; Able, Confident, Sensual, Mysterious, Ambitious, and sometimes (totally blushing) Naughty! It totally blows my mind (and my husbands). I had no idea that scents could have such an impact on my emotions.

So here I am on BN asking for help... what should I consider for a summer scent? Do you have suggestions that won't suffocate other people during the warmer months? To be perfectly honest, I love those scents so much I would wear them all year, but I don't want to offend...

Not sure how you would "categorize" my likings based on the above, but just so you know, and not sure that it makes a difference; I have a ridiculous amount of different essential oils I use in my diffuser. I can't say that I hate any particular scent when used appropriately. I am also an avid gardener; I think it would have been cheaper to buy the local nursery outright than to pay for all the plants within my gardens.

Also, I realize that the world of fragrance is very intimate; depends on individual perception and character. Well, I was always quite the character myself when I was younger! I worked for a big corporation for many years, and wore suits, stilettos, hair and nails just so, etc. (still never was heavy into fragrances back then) but when I got home, I was changing oil, mowing the lawn, hanging sheet-rock, painting, and digging in the gardens.. you name it, I made sure I could, or was doing it. LOL... I guess if someone tried to characterize me, I don't know how they would do it. I can be a refined polished lady when I need to be, but can be the "Tom Boy" when hubby needs my help, or when something just needs to get done (the ladies of this group know what I'm talking about) LOL.

I appreciate any advice you would provide.

Cheers, and thank you in advance!

Default Re: Oh my! What to do for warmer weather??

Manifesto, Alien, Montana Parfum de Peau.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Manifesto, Alien, Montana Parfum de Peau.
    Thank you Beck. I did a quick search of your recommendations on BN, I'll have to locate some testers to give them a try.

Thanks for your response I appreciate it!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by MissSissy View Post
    Hi BN'ers!

So here I am on BN asking for help... what should I consider for a summer scent? Do you have suggestions that won't suffocate other people during the warmer months? To be perfectly honest, I love those scents so much I would wear them all year, but I don't want to offend...
    Welcome to you MissSissy! Since you love those scents you listed, perhaps you could just decrease the number of sprays you use?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you MissSissy! Since you love those scents you listed, perhaps you could just decrease the number of sprays you use?
    Thank you for the welcome!

I use two sprays currently (although I certainly have thought of dousing myself in them) . You think one spray would be acceptable? There is only one way to find out... I will give it the ole' college try!

Thank you for responding (and giving me hope that I can continue these scents in warmer weather)!

Thank you Beck. I did a quick search of your recommendations on BN, I'll have to locate some testers to give them a try.

Thanks for your response I appreciate it!
    YW. Sorry for putting Alien. My fault. It could be the EDT or one of its summer flankers. EDP is too strong and heavy for summer.
    Try also N°19, Ô de Lancôme, Santal Blush, Miss Dior Cherie L'Eau, Eau de Cartier.
    Last edited by Beck; 13th January 2017 at 02:12 PM.

Welcome!

The list seems to gravitate towards perfumes that are sweet ad somewhat heavy (in a good way, of course). As hednic was saying, spraying a little less should work anyway.

For something fresher but still a little sweet and complex, you can try Chanel No 5 Eau premiere, or fresher still, the mentioned O de lancome. Alternatively, you could go towards more green stuff that recalls garden (given you mention gardening) like the Jardin series by Hermes, or Diptyque Ombre dans l'eau.

cacio

Also adding Mugler Cologne and L`Occitane Verveine among the lighter possible choices

Blog Entries

Welcome MissSissy, you sound like my kind of gal!

l think you would enjoy Alien, although perhaps its flanker Eau Extraordinaire might be more wearable in summer.

Since you enjoy Black Orchid (as do l!), l'll recommend Tom Ford's Orchid Soleil or Soleil Blanc for summer.

And l'll throw in Samsara, just because.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I love the ones on your list on women, especially Black Orchid, Angel Muse and Si. You could try out Armani Diamonds, it reminds me somewhat of Si but lighter, more summery but still classy.

Grey Vetiver edt by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thank you for the welcome!

I use two sprays currently (although I certainly have thought of dousing myself in them) . You think one spray would be acceptable? There is only one way to find out... I will give it the ole' college try!

Thank you for responding (and giving me hope that I can continue these scents in warmer weather)!
    Looking forward to hearing your one-spray result!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dolce light Blue and Escada turquois summer...

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Welcome MissSissy, you sound like my kind of gal!

l think you would enjoy Alien, although perhaps its flanker Eau Extraordinaire might be more wearable in summer.

Since you enjoy Black Orchid (as do l!), l'll recommend Tom Ford's Orchid Soleil or Soleil Blanc for summer.

And l'll throw in Samsara, just because.
    My lunch today wasn't at Panera! Instead, I went to Sephora and checked out Tom Ford's Orchid Soleil. I'm pretty sure I'm in love - although I haven't tested on my skin more than once yet (since lunch), I believe we have a love affair! I'm thinking of heading back tomorrow to buy it.

First impression: this could possibly be a scent to wear even when it's also crisp outside; when you just want that little spark to remind you of the beauty that is waiting to unfold (spring).

I have to ask, is this a scent I should take my time and test over a few days? Is she pretty much a scent you either you love, or hate? Works with your chemistry, or it doesn't? Better yet... Is she "moody"?

Blog Entries

My lunch today wasn't at Panera! Instead, I went to Sephora and checked out Tom Ford's Orchid Soleil. I'm pretty sure I'm in love - although I haven't tested on my skin more than once yet (since lunch), I believe we have a love affair! I'm thinking of heading back tomorrow to buy it.

First impression: this could possibly be a scent to wear even when it's also crisp outside; when you just want that little spark to remind you of the beauty that is waiting to unfold (spring).

I have to ask, is this a scent I should take my time and test over a few days? Is she pretty much a scent you either you love, or hate? Works with your chemistry, or it doesn't? Better yet... Is she "moody"?
    Yay, l'm so glad you love it! l agree that it would work in cooler weather too, thanks to the tiny bit of spice, & l can't imagine that it's the kind of scent anyone would hate. l'm not sure what you mean by "moody", but it makes sense to test out any fragrance at least a couple of times before buying. l got my sample from Surrender to Chance.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Day 2 of the Orchid Soleil test, and I still like it. I ended up buying it at Nordstrom today. Thank you for the suggestion teardrop!!

While I was there, I couldn't help but check out some of TF's other fragrances. I ended up bringing home samples of Tobacco Vanille, and Vert Des Bois. I put the slightest dab on each wrist, and while I was immediately blown away with TV for the first few hours, it became too sweet (approximately 4-5 hours later). I'm really disappointed; I wish the tobacco scent stayed on my skin, really enjoyed it. I'll give a couple more tests in hopes it does. The Vert Des Bois, smells very nice, and continues to smell nice hours later. I have read (here and there) that VDB is more of a masculine scent though. Have any of you tried this? Do you think it smells too masculine for a woman?

There were a few other frags I "think" I liked. The SA that worked with me today, was trying to be/and was helpful, but I was just overwhelmed with all the fragrances she was spraying on the cards. Not sure if other people can handle so many fragrances at once (?), but I couldn't do it.. apparently I need to take baby steps.

I'll continue to find/test some of the frags suggested.. I guess I kind of got sidetracked back to the deeper scents today. I did however smell Hermes Jardin sur le Nil and found it to be to "sharp" if that makes sense (keep in mind I'm not good at explaining fragrances). I'll keep that sample to test during the warmer months.

Again, a thank you to everyone that has provided suggestions. Slowly but surely, I will look into those frags.

Cheers!
    Sissy

I love Opium

Opium YSL.jpg