Code of Conduct

Default New Favorite Tom Ford Private Blend?

Holy Smokes, just tried my sample of Vert des Bois and its still early but this could very well become my favorite Private Blend! So smooth!
    I pick up little nuances that remind me of both Oud Wood and Italian Cypress but it's certainly different than both.....greener for sure but more than just that.
    Vert Des Bois has a way of coming across as something incredibly familiar but also completely unique to my nose.
    Very Masculine in my opinion.
    I also feel it's one of those scents that is totally modern and simultaneously old school.

So there you go.... I make no sense yet again....familiar but unique.....modern but old school...
    I'm sure that's no help whatsoever but you should give it a test regardless....who knows you may even end up understanding where I'm coming from LOL

I will be purchasing a bottle of this soon.

I really am now wanting to sample Vert D'encens I'd love to hear everyone's take on this one as well as your impressions of Vert de Bois

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: New Favorite Tom Ford Private Blend?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Holy Smokes, just tried my sample of Vert des Bois and its still early but this could very well become my favorite Private Blend! So smooth!
    I pick up little nuances that remind me of both Oud Wood and Italian Cypress but it's certainly different than both.....greener for sure but more than just that.
    Vert Des Bois has a way of coming across as something incredibly familiar but also completely unique to my nose.
    Very Masculine in my opinion.
    I also feel it's one of those scents that is totally modern and simultaneously old school.

So there you go.... I make no sense yet again....familiar but unique.....modern but old school...
    I'm sure that's no help whatsoever but you should give it a test regardless....who knows you may even end up understanding where I'm coming from LOL

I will be purchasing a bottle of this soon.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'll have to try this. Esquire magazine had this listed as one to buy recently along with a few others
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

don't deceive with belief

All of them are average (though none too bad), with Vert d'Encens standing out for me - though it's just an augmentation of Italian Cypress in a green/fresh direction.

I would rank them as (in descending order) Vert d'Encens > Vert d'Bois > Ombre Leather > Vert Boheme.

None bottle worthy for me.

(Sorry for the brief post ).

If i recall correctly i thought the bois smelled too feminine.

The ombre smells good but I couldn't get a bottle since i already have tuscan leather which i hardly ever wear. Encens is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post

The ombre smells good but I couldn't get a bottle since i already have tuscan leather which i hardly ever wear. Encens is amazing.
    I would challenge you to revisit it. I think it would be incredibly difficult for a woman to pull off successfully.
    I really need to get my nose on Encens

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    All of them are average (though none too bad), with Vert d'Encens standing out for me - though it's just an augmentation of Italian Cypress in a green/fresh direction.

I would rank them as (in descending order) Vert d'Encens > Vert d'Bois > Ombre Leather > Vert Boheme.

None bottle worthy for me.

(Sorry for the brief post ).
    LOL. If this is a brief post mine are wee posts.

Yes i may have just sniffed and something turned me off on the initial sniff- maybe something other than feminine. I will give it another shot. I thought all 3 were good scents though of the new batch (ombre/encens/bois).

I like the TF is still bringing in winners.

Is it true it smells like Moss Breches?

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Maybe it was Vert Boheme? That one is definitely feminine to my nose. Very floral. Out of the three verts, Vert des Bois stood out the most to me, so I bought it.

I need to give them another try, but d'encens was the only one I cared for. I have a sample of that one that I'm working my way through now to see if it's fbw or not.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Tobacco Oud
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Maybe it was Vert Boheme? That one is definitely feminine to my nose. Very floral. Out of the three verts, Vert des Bois stood out the most to me, so I bought it.
    You're probably right. I forgot there was a third vert.

Have to sample.

Vert des Bois is excelllent. I think it's more geared to men; Vert Boheme is unisex--more floral notes in it.

The only one I own is Tobacco Vanille.
    While its still not great, its better and more palatable than it used to be.
    It used to be this uber sweet, sugary, packing rod.
    Now its a little more balanced, more spicy, still a marathon runner.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Vert d'Encens and Mandarino di Amalfi are my favorite new Private Blends. I want them badly but will have to wait a while. Costa Azzura's nice as well.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

My favorite is Amber Absolute.

Out of the new stuff, I love Vert de Bois after initially liking de encens, this one is smooth and a lot of patchouli in it.

Got my bottle last week and really love it.
    While the two certainly smell very different, In a lot of ways Vert Des Bois "reminds" me of Spice and Wood.

In terms of quality and structure They seem to be built very much the same. Where Spice and Wood is warm and spicy Vert Des Bois is well......greener.
    They also do happen to share some similar notes.

If you like, Oud Wood, Italian Cypress, and Spice and Wood I would give this a try....I pick up aspects of all three of these. Yet it's totally unique.

I also get fantastic performance out of it.

Among the best out there in my opinion
    So glad I picked it up.
    Last edited by Dandydude; 18th March 2017 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Got my bottle last week and really love it.
    While the two certainly smell very different, In a lot of ways Vert Des Bois "reminds" me of Spice and Wood.

In terms of quality and structure They seem to be built very much the same. Where Spice and Wood is warm and spicy Vert Des Bois is well......greener.
    They also do happen to share some similar notes.

If you like, Oud Wood, Italian Cypress, and Spice and Wood I would give this a try....I pick up aspects of all three of these. Yet it's totally unique.

I also get fantastic performance out of it.

Among the best out there in my opinion
    So glad I picked it up.
    I 'm waiting for my bottle, that will arrive in the start of August. It's a blind-swap for me, but the way you discribe it I think I will like it. I love all the 3 you mention! They say Tom Ford is finally back on track with this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I 'm waiting for my bottle, that will arrive in the start of August. It's a blind-swap for me, but the way you discribe it I think I will like it. I love all the 3 you mention! They say Tom Ford is finally back on track with this one!
    You will not be disappointed. It's creeped up to the top of my list and I am no Tom Ford fan.

With notes like mastic (I love the stuff and not just in perfumes) and ouzo, I had to try it. I really liked it, so got a bottle. The wife complimented it by saying "whatever you put on, it's come all the way downstairs and it smells divine". Thing is I had only given myself two sprays.

User of Toilet Water

I've really taken a liking to Vert de Fleur. Of the four Verts, this is the only one that screams green to me. Just like being in a flower garden. It does lean feminine (not modern-day feminine though) but not as much as Vert Boheme.

Oud Fleur
    , which I just received and have only tested a couple of times, is a lovely rose. Not much oud to my nose, but that's true of most of the TF oud scents. I kind of have a thing for rose at the moment and I really like the TF roses.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    You will not be disappointed. It's creeped up to the top of my list and I am no Tom Ford fan.

With notes like mastic (I love the stuff and not just in perfumes) and ouzo, I had to try it. I really liked it, so got a bottle. The wife complimented it by saying "whatever you put on, it's come all the way downstairs and it smells divine". Thing is I had only given myself two sprays.
    Sounds great!

Basenotes Member

Vert des Bois is one of my favorite fragrances period, and a top 3 TFPB.

Oud Minerale i am enjoying a lot too.

i guess it depends on your definition of "new". is Patchouli Absolute new? then throw that in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I've really taken a liking to Vert de Fleur. Of the four Verts, this is the only one that screams green to me. Just like being in a flower garden. It does lean feminine (not modern-day feminine though) but not as much as Vert Boheme.

Oud Fleur
    , which I just received and have only tested a couple of times, is a lovely rose. Not much oud to my nose, but that's true of most of the TF oud scents. I kind of have a thing for rose at the moment and I really like the TF roses.
    We have similar noses I think. I also quite like the vert incens. Some TF's have an overdose of chem burn (norlimbanol?) to my nose, such as the TF patchouli. I also really enjoy oud fleur. AdP's colonia oud does a good job imitating oud fleur but I get a super painful chem burn from that during its drydown.
    Current Go-To:
    Javanese Patchouli (Zegna), Vintage Tabarome (Creed), Vetiver Ext. (R Dove), Kobe (Xerjoff), M1849 (Creed), L'Air du Desert Marocain (Tauer), Colonia Essenza (Acqua di Parma), Musc Infini (Ex Nihilo), Bergamot Ext. (R Dove), Musk Oud (By Killian), Violettes du Czar (Legrand)