Code of Conduct

Default Different types of ethanol?

I have obtained 99 percent ethanol from a chemist who confirmed the remaining 1 percent is water. Is it fine for me to use this to make perfume? I have compared this to the perfumers alcohol i obtained from an aromatherapist and honestly i think they smell the same. Wouldnt 99 percent ethanol be very dehydrating?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Different types of ethanol?

99% ethanol will rapidly turn into 96% ethanol by the absorption of atmospheric water, unless very carefully stored. Depending on how much ethanol you put on your skin, it will be more or less dehydrating. The vast number of fragrances used every day seem to cause little problem.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    99% ethanol will rapidly turn into 96% ethanol by the absorption of atmospheric water, unless very carefully stored. Depending on how much ethanol you put on your skin, it will be more or less dehydrating. The vast number of fragrances used every day seem to cause little problem.
    Thanks David. I doubt ethanol is toxic from what I've read but another seller of fragrances has put up this table on their site comparing ethanol from the chemist and the type they are selling and saying theirs is all natural whereas the chemist kind of ethanol is not recommended for perfume cause it's not entirely clear what it's made of. I mean unless we are looking for all botanical perfume i honestly don't care if the ethanol is made our pure botanics as long as the ethanol we normally get from the chemist is non toxic! So I'm just trying to ascertain if theres a real difference in terms of toxicity or is it just the sellers marketing gimmicks...

Quote Originally Posted by mindfulnessjewel View Post
    Thanks David. I doubt ethanol is toxic from what I've read but another seller of fragrances has put up this table on their site comparing ethanol from the chemist and the type they are selling and saying theirs is all natural whereas the chemist kind of ethanol is not recommended for perfume cause it's not entirely clear what it's made of. I mean unless we are looking for all botanical perfume i honestly don't care if the ethanol is made our pure botanics as long as the ethanol we normally get from the chemist is non toxic! So I'm just trying to ascertain if theres a real difference in terms of toxicity or is it just the sellers marketing gimmicks...

Whatever. Ethanol is ethanol. Highly toxic; more people are made sick and even die due to drinking ethanol than wearing perfume. There is no difference chemically between "natural" ethanol and the stuff you want to buy. The only concern you may have is that you will be buying denatured ethanol (unless you are paying duty), and you should check what the denaturant is/are.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Whatever. Ethanol is ethanol. Highly toxic; more people are made sick and even die due to drinking ethanol than wearing perfume. There is no difference chemically between "natural" ethanol and the stuff you want to buy. The only concern you may have is that you will be buying denatured ethanol (unless you are paying duty), and you should check what the denaturant is/are.
    Yes sorry i meant toxic when applied on skin. Of course it is toxic when ingested[emoji23] but thanks for confirming that there is no chemical difference between natural ethanol and normal chemist ethanol. The stuff i have isnt denatured but there’s no duty on acohol where I am and its for personal use anyway.

Thanks so much for your advice.