Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Default Different types of ethanol?

    I have obtained 99 percent ethanol from a chemist who confirmed the remaining 1 percent is water. Is it fine for me to use this to make perfume? I have compared this to the perfumers alcohol i obtained from an aromatherapist and honestly i think they smell the same. Wouldnt 99 percent ethanol be very dehydrating?

    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Default Re: Different types of ethanol?

    99% ethanol will rapidly turn into 96% ethanol by the absorption of atmospheric water, unless very carefully stored. Depending on how much ethanol you put on your skin, it will be more or less dehydrating. The vast number of fragrances used every day seem to cause little problem.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Different types of ethanol?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    99% ethanol will rapidly turn into 96% ethanol by the absorption of atmospheric water, unless very carefully stored. Depending on how much ethanol you put on your skin, it will be more or less dehydrating. The vast number of fragrances used every day seem to cause little problem.
    Thanks David. I doubt ethanol is toxic from what I've read but another seller of fragrances has put up this table on their site comparing ethanol from the chemist and the type they are selling and saying theirs is all natural whereas the chemist kind of ethanol is not recommended for perfume cause it's not entirely clear what it's made of. I mean unless we are looking for all botanical perfume i honestly don't care if the ethanol is made our pure botanics as long as the ethanol we normally get from the chemist is non toxic! So I'm just trying to ascertain if theres a real difference in terms of toxicity or is it just the sellers marketing gimmicks...

    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default Re: Different types of ethanol?

    Quote Originally Posted by mindfulnessjewel View Post
    Thanks David. I doubt ethanol is toxic from what I've read but another seller of fragrances has put up this table on their site comparing ethanol from the chemist and the type they are selling and saying theirs is all natural whereas the chemist kind of ethanol is not recommended for perfume cause it's not entirely clear what it's made of. I mean unless we are looking for all botanical perfume i honestly don't care if the ethanol is made our pure botanics as long as the ethanol we normally get from the chemist is non toxic! So I'm just trying to ascertain if theres a real difference in terms of toxicity or is it just the sellers marketing gimmicks...

    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Whatever. Ethanol is ethanol. Highly toxic; more people are made sick and even die due to drinking ethanol than wearing perfume. There is no difference chemically between "natural" ethanol and the stuff you want to buy. The only concern you may have is that you will be buying denatured ethanol (unless you are paying duty), and you should check what the denaturant is/are.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Different types of ethanol?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Whatever. Ethanol is ethanol. Highly toxic; more people are made sick and even die due to drinking ethanol than wearing perfume. There is no difference chemically between "natural" ethanol and the stuff you want to buy. The only concern you may have is that you will be buying denatured ethanol (unless you are paying duty), and you should check what the denaturant is/are.
    Yes sorry i meant toxic when applied on skin. Of course it is toxic when ingested[emoji23] but thanks for confirming that there is no chemical difference between natural ethanol and normal chemist ethanol. The stuff i have isnt denatured but there’s no duty on acohol where I am and its for personal use anyway.

    Thanks so much for your advice.

    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 23rd March 2017, 08:21 PM
  2. What's this ethanol that I have?
    By aiaf in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23rd December 2016, 07:15 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th April 2016, 06:04 AM
  4. With Ethanol & Without Ethanol
    By chuck78 in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 30th April 2013, 08:10 AM
  5. Skin types / perfume types confusion
    By Trish in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th January 2007, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000