Code of Conduct

Default Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce

Hey Guys,

Hopefully this is in the right area

I'm looking for some advice in regards to Abercrombie and Fitch fierce, since I live in the UK this isn't an overly common fragrance and almost impossible to track down and smell. I don't really want to blind buy it as its fairly expensive so was just wondering on what people opinions on it were ??

Cheers,
    XIII
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce

I think it's fair to say it has its fans here, but personally not one of them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Maybe you could try to get your hands on Legend or Legend Intense by Montblanc. Both are very similar to Fierce but are more readily available around the world.

Try Mont Blanc Legend, it's almost identical and much cheaper.

I don't find Legend Intense to be as similar, I would stick to legend or even Mercedes Benz Man.
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Baccarat Rouge 540
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Basenotes Plus

I was in an A&F store two weekends ago and believe they had a gift set box for $25. Smelled it but "uh uh NO".

Cheers for the replies guys, I'll give Mont Blanc Legend a try as it's unbelievably cheap on Amazon Prime and will give me an idea if it's a Yes/No
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Mont Blanc Legend is near identical, if not better perhaps.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

As I'm not a fan of Mont Blanc, I will recommend Platinum Egoiste by Chanel. It's more 'mature' than the Abercrombie. I say this due to the younger crowd associated with it.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    As I'm not a fan of Mont Blanc, I will recommend Platinum Egoiste by Chanel. It's more 'mature' than the Abercrombie. I say this due to the younger crowd associated with it.
    This is what I was going to say/suggest as well.

There is a similarity between Legend and Fierce, but I think that Platinum Egoiste may actually be a BETTER comparison. Fierce, to me, seems like they took Platinum Egoiste, and made it more "youthful"...smoothing it out a bit and gearing it towards a much younger crowd. Both are nice, it just depends on your age and what you're going for. If you're younger and want something to wear around town casually, or maybe wear on dates? Fierce. If you're more mature and want something that might be more work appropriate and to wear for somewhat more formal occasions? Platinum Egoiste.

Personally, I would try to get a sample of all 3. I can easily see where some people would prefer any one of these over the other two, even though they are all somewhat similar.

What a strange comparison, I own and like all 3 and find the Mont Blanc almost identical however to me Platinum Egoiste is nothing like Fierce in any way
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Baccarat Rouge 540
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    What a strange comparison, I own and like all 3 and find the Mont Blanc almost identical however to me Platinum Egoiste is nothing like Fierce in any way
    That's the beautiful thing about opinions...they vary, and there is no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Mont Blanc Legend is near identical, if not better perhaps.
    This^

And I love Platinum Egoiste, it is one of my favorites, but I will never understand why people compare it to Fierce.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

I like the opening notes (citrus and cardamom) but that's about it

My nephew loves it - he's 13 though

It opens with a synthetic citrus and then gets woodier and muskier in the basenotes.

It smells like a cheap drug store fragrance that would appeal to teenagers. Longevity and projection though are good but I'm not impressed by the cheap smell. Though it's not as bad as Diors Sauvage imo.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    but I'm not impressed by the cheap smell. Though it's not as bad as Diors Sauvage imo.
    :-D

Default Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce

Fierce seems to get a bad rap here. Personally, I believe part of that is due to the brand image. Re: the fragrance itself, I tend to go up and down with it. Bought a small 1oz bottle just last year. Enjoyed it for a while then quickly tired of it. Ironically, I've warmed up to it again just recently. Seems to work well for me in cold weather. I've actually worn it on consecutive days this week, which is something I almost never do.

I was regretting the purchase until recently. I somewhat expect to take a beating on this, but that's ok - I'm thoroughly enjoying Fierce as I write this. Performance is good too. 3 sprays 8+ hours ago and I still smell it. Nice.
    Last edited by bbfan; 1st February 2017 at 10:01 PM.

Dependent

Try Abercrombie and Fitch First Instint instead, really nice, sweet, reminds me of Carolina Herrera CH

Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct.jpg
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    Fierce seems to get a bad rap here. Personally, I believe part of that is due to the brand image.
    Yep, and I think there's a few reasons for that:

1) A&F is a mall clothing store. Geared towards young people. So there you go.

2) Mostly "young" guys, who aren't as "experienced" as veteran noses, tend to like this one....which means, it is appreciated by 'neophytes' and not 'connoisseurs'.

3) Women tend to like it, meaning men that wear it aren't "being their own man" - they're letting the ladies influence their style and taste - which can be viewed as big no-no's by some in the fragrance communities and their related forums.

Still, I'll admit...it is a nice scent, and I can see why it has many followers and wearers and has achieved the popularity (which can be viewed as another bad thing in a fragrance forum) that it has.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Try Abercrombie and Fitch First Instint instead, really nice, sweet, reminds me of Carolina Herrera CH
    I haven't smelled this one, but I saw it listed at an online retailer for a song and a dance! Considering the original Fierce is rarely found at a discount, I was surprised to see this one listed in the $30 range.

Not sure if they still do this, but Abercrombie stores used to pump gallons of this stuff into the air in, and therefore around, their stores.

MAYBE it's not so bad when you wear it, but I swear, walking by (or God forbid, in) one of those stores was like venturing through the blast radius of an explosion at an aromachemical manufacturing facility from hell. The scent - the air - had this thick, staticy, dry "fizz" to it, which was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Apparently, that was Fierce.

But hey, you know, different stokes. I think I'm sensitive to some compound in there, because I'm usually pretty easy to please. Maybe you'll like it!

I have to say, I do admire Platimum Egoiste, so you might check that out. Personally I don't see much resemblance to Fierce, other than maybe the dry quality.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st February 2017 at 11:19 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Not sure if they still do this, but Abercrombie stores used to pump gallons of this stuff into the air in, and therefore around, their stores.
    I know they did as of about a year ago, but to be honest, the past couple of times I was at the mall and walked past their store, I didn't really notice it. So if they are, I believe that they've toned it down quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I have to say, I do admire Platimum Egoiste, so you might check that out. Personally I don't see much resemblance to Fierce, other than maybe the dry quality.
    I didn't really notice all that much of a connection myself....until a few weeks ago, when I was wearing Platinum Egoiste. It's not the top notes, immediately after application....and it's not even deep into the dry down...but towards the mid, as you're firmly into the heart of PE...there is a resemblance to Fierce that is a bit uncanny. It's not very long-lasting, but there is a definite short period where it smelled as though I was wearing Fierce. The funny thing is, I'd always heard these two compared, and always blew that off and safely ignored it myself...until this recent experience. After that, I totally got what people were talking about when comparing these two.

To me it smells a bit like Armani Mania and Emporio Armani Him. These I believe you can find to try.
    Last edited by Beck; 1st February 2017 at 11:46 PM.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

As has been mentioned PE does this whole thing a lot better but it comes across as much more mature. The A&F offering has been reformed to within an inch of its life in its journey and MBL has a screechy element to it tucked into the mids that makes it an irritating wear.

Banned

Forget about PE, Fierce and Legend and Versace pour Homme instead... much better...

I'm not sure if you have the ability to buy Tommy Bahama scents but Tommy Bahama Maritime that just came out this past November is very similar to Fierce. It starts very fresh and tropical and dries down very similar to Fierce. I find it to be a little fresher than Fierce or Legend.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Yeah MB Legend is probably the closest on the market, although its not 100% identical. I would rate it 85-90%. Fierce smells like a better version of it, from start to finish. Atleast to my nose.

BTW, Fierce contains a heavy dose of ISO E Super. You can actually smell similarities of the Fierce Drydown and the smell of Molecule 01.

And Fierce is overall a very strong compliment getter not only from teen girls or young women as many would think. Ive gotten compliments from 50+yo Women wearing Fierce.

Fierce is a very well done fragrance and it lasts and lasts on my skin. Women just LOVE it.

I blind brought it and was disappointed.

It smells like clean washing.

It smells 95% like Mont Blanc Legend.

It smells like it should only be worn by a kid under 15 as his first fragrance from somebody looking to splash £20 at a drug store.
    Top 10

1. Nasomatto - Pardon
    2. Hermessence - Ambre Narguile
    3. Bond no.9 - New Haarlem
    4. Creed - Aventus
    5. By Kilian - Back to Black
    6. By Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Acqua Di Parma - Mandorlo di Sicilia
    8. YSL - la Nuit de L'homme EDP
    9. Mancera - Aoud Black Candy
    10. Serge Lutens - Bois du Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I know they did as of about a year ago, but to be honest, the past couple of times I was at the mall and walked past their store, I didn't really notice it. So if they are, I believe that they've toned it down quite a bit.

I didn't really notice all that much of a connection myself....until a few weeks ago, when I was wearing Platinum Egoiste. It's not the top notes, immediately after application....and it's not even deep into the dry down...but towards the mid, as you're firmly into the heart of PE...there is a resemblance to Fierce that is a bit uncanny. It's not very long-lasting, but there is a definite short period where it smelled as though I was wearing Fierce. The funny thing is, I'd always heard these two compared, and always blew that off and safely ignored it myself...until this recent experience. After that, I totally got what people were talking about when comparing these two.
    In the UK we don't get Ambercrombie stores

We get Hollister stores which is basically the same, but these are really high end (clothing here is only for those that can afford it £100/$150 for a jumper, £60/$100 for a t shirt.

They pump Hollister - So cal out around the stores.
    Top 10

1. Nasomatto - Pardon
    2. Hermessence - Ambre Narguile
    3. Bond no.9 - New Haarlem
    4. Creed - Aventus
    5. By Kilian - Back to Black
    6. By Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Acqua Di Parma - Mandorlo di Sicilia
    8. YSL - la Nuit de L'homme EDP
    9. Mancera - Aoud Black Candy
    10. Serge Lutens - Bois du Vanille

I still love this stuff. MBL is very similar but nowhere near as smooth. I don't get the PE comparison whatsoever.

But, imho, the sillage after drydown is very special and I'll always love this scent.