Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4160 Tuesdays

Default 4160 Tuesdays

I've tried a few scents from 4160 Tuesdays, Doe in Snow has been my favorite. Which other scents have you tried and what did you think of them?

Default Re: 4160 Tuesdays

I've tried them all and haven't found one that I haven't liked -- have purchased about 5. '... Old Havana ....' is gorgeous

The last one came in brown cardboard with a sort of flyer inside. Brilliant!

Freed from BN Institution

It's one of the better indie brands out there IMO.

I suggest trying these first:
    Centrepiece
    What I Did on My Holidays
    Shazam

All three are relatively nice and are considered the better ones from the line.
    I've also tried:

Raw Silk and Red Roses
    Goddess of Love & Perfume
    Silk Lace and Chocolate
    Tokyo Spring and Blossom
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 19th January 2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I've tried them all and haven't found one that I haven't liked -- have purchased about 5. '... Old Havana ....' is gorgeous

The last one came in brown cardboard with a sort of flyer inside. Brilliant!
    That one sounds good! Is it at all like Back to Black or Intoxicated both by Kilian or is it totally different?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    It's one of the better indie brands out there IMO.

I suggest trying these first:
    Centrepiece
    What I Did on My Holidays
    Shazam

All three are relatively nice and are considered the better ones from the line.
    I've also tried:

Raw Silk and Red Roses
    Goddess of Love & Perfume
    Silk Lace and Chocolate
    Tokyo Spring and Blossom
    I have Centrepiece but not the other two, thank you I will get a sample of them. Did you like Raw Silk and Red Roses?

Discovered the brand late last year and love!

They had discounts quite a bit so deals to be had.

Shazam great dirty amber

Buddhawood Box, actually smells like old wooden pencil box.

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters sweet gorgeous

Silk Lace & Chocolate strawberry jam and milk chocolate

I like the 9ml sizes which are great to try and if a discount you can get them pretty cheap. Like 30% off.

What I like is they do 9mls sizes which are great to try and with discount codes usually pretty cheap.

Flora Psychedelica makes me think of no 19

Another Kiss By The Fireside is like a smokey bonfire with rose.

Captured By Candlelight Xmas pudding and brandy.

Tokyo Spring Blossom lovely light floral

Centrepiece, I actually thought I wouldn't like. but loved. musk and frangipani.

Tart's Knicker Draw very sweet powdery

I bought from their sale which never actually made it into the stores.

Brigadoon

The Gathering Of The Clans which is leather with floral.
    Last edited by donna255; 19th January 2017 at 05:49 PM.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Arabie by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    I have Centrepiece but not the other two, thank you I will get a sample of them. Did you like Raw Silk and Red Roses?
    I thought it was ok on me but you might think differently. Donna and PerfumedLady will likely give you better answers to your questions as they are big fans of 4160 Tuesdays.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Discovered the brand late last year and love!

They had discounts quite a bit so deals to be had.

Shazam great dirty amber

Buddhawood Box, actually smells like old wooden pencil box.

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters sweet gorgeous

Silk Lace & Chocolate strawberry jam and milk chocolate

I like the 9ml sizes which are great to try and if a discount you can get them pretty cheap. Like 30% off.

What I like is they do 9mls sizes which are great to try and with discount codes usually pretty cheap.

Flora Psychedelica makes me think of no 19

Another Kiss By The Fireside is like a smokey bonfire with rose.

Captured By Candlelight Xmas pudding and brandy.

Tokyo Spring Blossom lovely light floral

Centrepiece, I actually thought I wouldn't like. but loved. musk and frangipani.

Tart's Knicker Draw very sweet powdery

I bought from their sale which never actually made it into the stores.

Brigadoon

The Gathering Of The Clans which is leather with floral.
    Great descriptions Donna, thank you! I found my sample of Centrepiece and will try it this afternoon. I didn't know about the 9 ml size option, I like that, wish more companies would do that.

One of my favorite indie houses, and very much responsible for opening my mind to finding other excellent indies. I've truly enjoyed trying all the 4160 Tuesdays samples I've had, even if not all were for me.

The first I tried and still my favorite is Doe in the Snow. In fact, I think one bottle is not enough; I want a backup.

I also bought Raw Silk and Red Roses, which is, I think, a definite possibility for you Kiliwia. I think of it as being to 1980's peachy rose patchoulis what Doe in the Snow is to 70's chypres. Spot on in style but with an easier to wear modernity. Lots of peach lactone (and possibly other true aldehydes too), so it's sparkly. The patch base is smooth due to vintage musks. I'm not totally clear if the musks are simply vintage in style or if she actually sourced vintage musks for this scent. Whatever, it works. The effect is neither dryer sheet nor skanky, just plush. I'll be glad to send a sample if you'd like, K.!

On my wishlist still is Centrepiece, not my usual style at all but has an almond-like sweetness that is utterly addictive to me.

Kiliwia, I also think Tokyo Spring Blossom might appeal to you. One of those easy to wear and pretty, yet unique and interesting scents.

The others I tried that weren't for me (but so much fun to smell, anyway) were:
    Babylon Sunset/Says Alice
    What I Did on my Holidays
    Shazam
    Tart's Knicker Drawer
    The Great Randello
    Silk, Lace & Chocolate
    Goddess of Love and Perfume

Although that last one does tempt me; really enjoyed Goddess of Love and Perfume, another noticeably retro-inspired scent. All the others, I would certainly recommend trying if the notes appeal.

I'm not done with this line myself, I do want to continue sniffing my way through. The one I'm currently dying to try is Ealing Green.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 19th January 2017 at 06:57 PM.

Kiliwia, I do have some samples from PerfumedLady if you would like to try them, since they're not empty. Just send me a PM. I have a slew of BN sample packages that I have to send out tomorrow.

Thank you so much PerfumedLady and N Cal for your generous offer for samples, but I sent off a sample order this morning.

Oh!!! How could I forget Raw Silk and Red Roses!!! I bought it in their sale just after Xmas, PerfumeLady perfect description.

I will say I did not like Lady Lion Rose, it just did not gel with my skin, but as it was only 9mls and on sale not a big hit. I gave it away.

The 9mls are only direct from their own site. They have a US shipping section on the site too.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    That one sounds good! Is it at all like Back to Black or Intoxicated both by Kilian or is it totally different?
    This is culled from my review here

'Sarah Macartney apparently tried to get a verisimilitude of the Havana streets after dark and after partying'

'The booze, stale cigar smoke, rotting fruit in the gutters and coffee and a general sweet putridness.
    Sounds pretty disgusting, but is actually quite gorgeous to wear'

So yes to Back to Black (a bit) but a no to Intoxicated, which is more like A*Men to me.

Old Havana is more about jasmine, vanilla and hints of tobacco and coffee in the drydown .

Thanks donna! I was thinking I had spotted you in Raw Silk and Red Roses! It's quickly become one of my favorite roses. Good for you for getting a great deal on it, even better!

Kiliwia, I can't wait to hear if you find something good among your samples! I do hope you enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    This is culled from my review here

'Sarah Macartney apparently tried to get a verisimilitude of the Havana streets after dark and after partying'

'The booze, stale cigar smoke, rotting fruit in the gutters and coffee and a general sweet putridness.
    Sounds pretty disgusting, but is actually quite gorgeous to wear'

So yes to Back to Black (a bit) but a no to Intoxicated, which is more like A*Men to me.

Old Havana is more about jasmine, vanilla and hints of tobacco and coffee in the drydown .
    Thank you for your response. I own Back to Black and had a large decant of Intoxicated, I really like both. I've ordered a sample of Old Havane and look forward to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Kiliwia, I can't wait to hear if you find something good among your samples! I do hope you enjoy them!
    Thank you PerfumedLady, I will report back. I ordered all the suggestions given above, the only extra one was What Katie Did On Friday Night. My daughter in laws name is Katie, so I had to try that one just for fun, lol.

I rate them quite highly. based on your suggestions next time I will try centrepiece too. I own 9 ml Doe in the Snow and the Chocolate and Lace one, 30 ml bottles of Tokyo cafe, and sunshine and pancakes.

I'm working my way thorugh the Crimes of Passion fragrances now and on my to buy list is the weird apple scent.

Greta company and great perfumes and they make it easy to sample
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I rate them quite highly. based on your suggestions next time I will try centrepiece too. I own 9 ml Doe in the Snow and the Chocolate and Lace one, 30 ml bottles of Tokyo cafe, and sunshine and pancakes.

I'm working my way thorugh the Crimes of Passion fragrances now and on my to buy list is the weird apple scent.

Greta company and great perfumes and they make it easy to sample
    Centrepiece is like no other frangipani scent I know; hope it will impress you! And I need to work my way through the rest of the Crimes of Passion series too. Am I right in thinking some of them are in parfum concentration?

What Katie Did is another I intend to get around to, Kiliwia-this one sounds fun!

I had the chance to try the 7 samples I got from Indiescent. My favorite would have to be Tokyo Spring Blossom. Love the mix of violet, raspberry and rose, so pretty. 2nd would be the Raw Silk and Red Roses, again with violets and rose. The Dark Heart of Old Havana would be next. It surprised me with the sweet and fruity opening, so not what I was expecting. I really liked it though and it kept getting better. Would definitely tell people to give it a try. Those are the 3 I'd consider buying. Sleep Knot was nice with a mix of jasmine, sandalwood and ylang ylang. What Katie Did on Friday Night, was a little confusing in the beginning, ended up liking it after a bit. It's not one I'd give to my daughter-in-law Katie though. What I Did on My Holiday confused me too, but ended nice. Of course I've only tried these once, need much more testing to really know. Shazam, was the same as the last two, confusing. With notes of amber, vanilla and cocoa, it should have been an immediate love, it wasn't. One thing I have to say about 4160 Tuesdays' is that I've liked every scent I've tried. None have been scents that you want to scrub off, all have been worth sampling.

Of the 6 samples I had before I started this thread. I really like Centrepiece the most, with the honey, green tea, frangipani and vanilla. Then of course Doe in Snow, especially the top notes, just love it. I could spray it over and over, just to smell that opening. I also liked Maxed Out with the rum, coconut and lime. Liked but didn't love The Sexiest Scent on the Planet, Goddess of Love & Perfume and Silk, Lace & Chocolate.
    Of course there are a few others I'd like to try, Ealing Green is probably the next one.

Any other people try this house?
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 4th February 2017 at 06:49 PM.

To me Shazam is similar to SL Ambre Sultan a dirty amber, not sweet.

Tokyo, if you love it you will love Ealing Green like a spring wild flowers and cut grass.

What Katie Did is now called Fruit Of The Tree Of Knowledge, I thought I would dislike because of the cucumber note but actually quite like.

We in the UK did a sample pass of the house( a private Facebook group I belong to), we added samples as it went. Centrepiece, I am not a fan of Frangipani but was really shocked how much I loved it.

Sarah has reworked A Kiss By The Fireside now called Another Kiss By the Fireside, which is woodsmoke and roses. Goodbye Piccadilly which has been re released, gorgeous lavender leather and candid violets, the latter is the note that comes out on me.

You might love Rosa Ribes which is roses and black current. Sadly it disappears on me very quickly.
    DONNA

Donna, Rosa Ribes sounds nice, I'll try to check it out. Thanks!

I really enjoyed your post, K.! Tokyo Spring Blossom is a charmer. Not too surprised that this was your favorite. I really liked it, too. Sleep Knot sounds good; will have to add this in my next round of Tuesdays.

Really pleased that Centrepiece is such a hit here! I think I might make it my next bottle buy; it seems just right for late winter/early spring to me. And like donna, I thought I didn't even like frangipani, lol. Shocked me, too.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear What Katie Did is not such an easy like. We have a Katie in our family too and she just had a baby. Would have made a darling, not-baby stuff gift for a new mommy. I think the overall aesthetic of the line would please her but I'm thinking she'd be more a Centrepiece or TSB girl.

Oh, and I still need to try Old Havana-if only for the story behind it! This thread has been a great help in getting my mental list ready for more sampling-thanks K.!

PerfumedLady, I gave What Katie Did On Friday Night another wearing. It went much better this time, there's still something in the initial blast that I don't entirely enjoy. Not sure if it's the Yuzu or Cucumber, or the mix of top notes. This time that disappeared much quicker and turned into something I quite liked. On her website she says people get a cherry note, but for me it's definitely raspberry. Not a sweet raspberry, the citrus doesn't let it get over sweet. I kept getting wifts of it all morning. This time I really sprayed it on and it lasted pretty well. I had a 1.5 ml spray and have enough for one more wear, will try to wear it sometime when my son is here to see if he thinks Katie would like it. Also, with the name change, don't know if I'd get a bottle with the old name or the new one. I just wanted let you know I judged it too harshly before, it's a really nice scent. I'd love any other opinions if you get to try it sometime.

Thank you for the update, Kiliwia! I will certainly still try this one. It sounds like a fun one, though cucumber sometimes troubles me. In the scents I've tried that I knew yuzu was present, I've always enjoyed it. Whether cherry or raspberry, I think Sarah's fruity/berry notes are beautiful in general; the heart does sound enticing!

As for the name change, yes I wondered too. I would guess that the bottles available in the States are still What Katie Did. Only a guess. If I like it for myself, the name doesn't matter. If I think my actual Katie would like it, I'll call first and ask about the labels to be sure. Although I really think she'll be after my Centrepiece once I've purchased and worn it around her!

I got a sample of the Reek Perfume Damn Rebel Bitches with an order of Paralled 9mls at the weekend. Warm spicy, not sure I would buy since I own Brigadoon. Sarah created to order for Reek and they chose DRB as the one they wanted to release under their name.

Parallel is one of the new ones from 4160 Tuesday's
    DONNA

Silk Lace and Chocolate is the only one I tried (today wearing) and it is just beautiful - a sweet and bit citrusy chocolate with the hint of vanilla (may be). Interested to explore the line for other offerings. Longevity and projection is surprisingly good.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koubla Khn by Serge Lutens
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wearing Silk, Lace & Chocolate for Valentine's Day. Notes are chocolate, strawberry and bergamot. Smells like rich and creamy chocolate, with just a slight touch of strawberry. It's not overly sweet like the notes may suggest. It's a very good chocolate scent and quite long lasting.

Yesterday I tried Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters for the first time. Notes are blackcurrant, pear, malt, praline, rose, strawberry, broom, ambergris, cedar, cedar moss and opoponax. When I first sprayed it, I loved it. It was wonderfully fruity, with the blackcurrant, strawberry and pear. Then a strong note of something else came out, I'm still not sure what it was, my guess is that it's either the malt or broom. After a couple of minutes whatever it was toned down and it went back to being a real nice fruity chypre. The base notes are more noticeable after a while. Enjoyed wearing it very much, it makes my decision about which one to buy for my first 4160 Tuesdays scent a lot harder.

Well I finally found one that I don't like, Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn). The notes don't sound bad, but the 1st 15 minutes or so are just plain awful. The notes are basil, peach, blackcurrant, rose, woods, oakmoss, hay and resins. It does get better as time goes on, but still not loving it.

I did try Ealing Green this morning and loved it. Notes are cut grass, rose, thyme, geranium, lavender, violet, patchouli, earth and oakmoss. It's very green with just a slight bit of floral, but it's so good!

I also tried Sunshine and Pancakes last week (I think) and I'm obsessed with this one. Notes are lemon, orange, Australian sandalwood, jasmine, vanilla, honey, musk and benzoin. I loved the citrus opening and can understand why "sunshine" is in the title. Then it turn slightly gourmand, with the smell of pancakes. Not overkill like Bond No 9 New Haarlem has, a little bit more like Kerosene Unknown Pleasures. With the base notes, this one is a winner. I just makes you happy wearing it. One of the best from this house!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 24th February 2017 at 07:35 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

I have tried Ealing Green and another whose escapes me at the moment and thought they both smelled pleasant.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.