Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New By Kilian - BLACK PHANTOM

Is my Instagram, I posted it.

Is a phenomenal juice, a boozy gourmand with a nutty caramelized drydown.
    Che k out my Instagram and YouTube Mrzayas81

Basenotes Plus

Lucky you!! I'm so jealous, I'm not even gonna ask where you got it, I just know I want it too!

Anyway, the fragrance will officially launch on 15th April, samples will be available from 1st April. Cannot wait!!
    Last edited by Vernona; 31st January 2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mrzayas81 View Post
    Is a phenomenal juice, a boozy gourmand with a nutty caramelized drydown.
    Che k out my Instagram and YouTube Mrzayas81
    Checked your you tube and you have some great videos there, [emoji106] I was hoping for a video on Black Phantom but nothing yet...
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell_ View Post
    I'm very interested in this. The guy who posted it describes it: "Opens up with a blast of dark Caribbean rum and sugar cane, in the heart about 5 minutes after the composition is on skin a dark chocolate/coffee accord begins to bloom and the far development of the scent begins to smell like caramelized golden almondy accord, almost heliotrope like, the gourmandish cocktail seats on a creamy base of sandalwood"
    Kilian must really like dark chocolate and coffee lol
    Does not sound particularly sinister, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Does not sound particularly sinister, does it?
    Ha, not at all. This sounds more like an Intoxicated flanker than a "black phantom"
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Sounds like a Marvel Character
    Currently wearing: Sunshine Man by Amouage

Personally I really dont care for the presentation of his stuff, and the price is silly, but scent wise I enjoy a number of them. Dont they have big 500ml now of his scents though that should help for splitting costs for poor people like me!

I guess By Kilian went all goth on the concept and presentation? I tried it today. A solid scent, kinda has a bit of straight to heaven DNA but with a massive gourmand spin. Could definitely see myself wearing this.
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Basenotes Plus

So I have tried this today. Smells like lamer, tamer and less sweet version of Zadig&Voltaire This is Her. I actually like This is Her, but I was dissapointed by this, because This is her actually smells better and stronger.
    They made it less sweet to make it more unisex and there's a prominent sandalwood note in Black Phantom. Longevity is decent, but it's quite soft on my skin.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

More detailed info on this provided by NST:

French niche line By Kilian will launch Black Phantom - Memento Mori, a new unisex fragrance.

A ghostly pirate treasure-ship which forever silently cruises the Seven Seas without wind or air, but with her empty sable sails drenched in perfume - and the eerie clash of spectral cutlasses still resounding from her decks. Kilian Hennessy intrepidly explores these dream-like visions in a unique, surreal & supremely sophisticated new gourmand-woodsy fragrance. He weaves in, too, the dark and ancient concept of the Memento Mori: the death that sits unseen beside us in this life. To enjoy life fully and wholly, just as we love perfume: reveling in a sensual but inescapably transient moment which can be remembered and treasured - but never preserved. If it's dirty, kinky, naughty, messy, or just plain wrong, I want it. Kilian Hennessy Black Phantom - Memento Mori opens with an accord of 'Shin Shin', that fiery drink of strong coffee laced with Caribbean rum that was quaffed at the times of the old pirate kings. But the coffee hides a deadly secret: what appears to be the fragrance of almonds is actually the scent of the bite of deadly sparkling cyanide. A Memento Mori indeed! The aromatic bitterness of the coffee is enhanced by the earthy warmth of vetiver from Java. The intoxicating sweetness of the rum is reflected in the luscious scent of sugar cane at the base of the fragrance, blended with darkly fragrant creamy sandalwood. The result is sheet voluptuous sensuality created for those who live for pleasure.
    Black Phantom was developed by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur.

By Kilian Black Phantom is available now for pre-order at saksfifthavenue, in 50 ($295) or 250 ($780) ml Eau de Parfum.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    So I have tried this today. Smells like lamer, tamer and less sweet version of Zadig&Voltaire This is Her. I actually like This is Her, but I was dissapointed by this, because This is her actually smells better and stronger.

They made it less sweet to make it more unisex and there's a prominent sandalwood note in Black Phantom. Longevity is decent, but it's quite soft on my skin.
    Made by the same perfumer too, Sidonie Lancesseur.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Made by the same perfumer too, Sidonie Lancesseur.
    Yes, exactly!!
    I was totally shocked by the similarity that I immediately went to check the perfumer behind This is Her. And there she was!
    The sad part is that I actually think This is Her is better and more interesting, albeit definitely feminine scent due to more sweetness, Black Phantom is perfectly genderless. The far drydown is (synthetic) milky sandalwood in the vein of Tam Dao.
    I was very much surprised that this didn't read as gourmand to me at all. While most initial impressions spoke about gourmand facets, coffee, caramel, roasted nuts...I mean, I *wish* I got any of that here!

The even sadder part is that I am probably going to end up with a bottle of this because I want that skull case so bad!
    But that is mine and not Kilian's problem

Quote Originally Posted by cc1987 View Post
    what are the notes??

Black Phantom Notes

Rum, sugar cane, dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, almond, heliotrope, sandalwood

sounds good. i hope its a coffee dominated scent
    - Vintage silver collar DHI 2009 batch- 100ml - 80% full - $280 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Agree. Luckily I generally go for the refill bottles, so it doesn't bother me too much.
    No refill for this one, unfortunately. I don't understand the concept, they even offer refill of the more expensive Oud line, not sure why this has to be the exception. You're essentially paying for the coffin (which i like, but i don't really care about presentation and it takes up too much space).

Quote Originally Posted by mszigetihu View Post
    No refill for this one, unfortunately. I don't understand the concept, they even offer refill of the more expensive Oud line, not sure why this has to be the exception. You're essentially paying for the coffin (which i like, but i don't really care about presentation and it takes up too much space).
    I suppose it's possible that they just haven't released the refill yet but will in the future.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Just got some free samples of this in the mail.

Smells good, rather sweet though. Would have been a good Fall release to use in Fall/Winter. Dont see myself wanting to wear this when things warm up.

That said it smells good in a Feve Deliciouse type of way. Im a big fan of feve. This one is more coffee.

free samples! who wait what why when where .....

I got samples from a kilian rep who i had made a purchase from in the recent past. I know a few brands do this. You buy from them and they ask for your address. Was a pleasant surprise getting a note in the mail with a couple small samples of black phantom.

Once you make a purchase, the reps are smart they know youre someone who is willing to pull the trigger on a buy....and know the best way to find someone to buy a new scent is to entice someone who has already bought a scent from you.

Gave this a wearing last night -- starts off a little less than I was hoping for, but I really enjoyed the drydown. Not often a scent gets that much better after a few hours, but this one really turns into something quite nice once the sugary sweetness fades a little. I'm not generally into gourmand scents, but this one was surprisingly good a few hours in. I will need to give it a few more wearings, but this just might be something I will need to add to my collection.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Tried it recently, certainly not as strong as the new straight to heaven extreme, and was somewhat light, but that being said it was steady as well so never totally disappeared so I guess performance was ok..

Any coffee was to light for me to really think of coffee per say. Id say its more of a chocolate scent than a coffee one. I guess if the mindset is coffee, its a starbucks sorta chocolate drink, with a lot of whip cream, and just a bit of coffee left over so you can still say it has something in it. Not a knock on it, I think it smells good, just doesnt call to mind coffee.

As it dries down it gets more sugary, and you get more of that sorta sugary almond smell that other fragrances have. And by that I mean because I said chocolate dont assume chocolate almonds or something because I feel almonds in fragrance dont really smell like almonds if you get my drift? But its the sugary...almond that they do in fragrances lol...

Anyway it kinda reminds me of something else a bit and well when I looked at fragrance I see somehow said it smells like ambre eccentrio or whatever, and you know what, it actually really kinda does as it dries down. I just put that one on my hand to double check now today and yep. Of course they have their own nuances but ya going by the notes you might not think so, but the density of the fragrance totally reminds me of it for sure.

Got my sample yesterday and was rather disappointed with it. Certainly doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't equal the realm of STH Extreme or Single Malt for me.....really, not even close.

With notes like rum, sugar cane, dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, almond, heliotrope and sandalwood, it sounds like there's going to be a lot to like. But the conglomeration comes off as a linear, rather unremarkable and nondescript overall fragrance for me. I love powerful boozy scents, but this one reminded me of dark/burned overtones of a primary incense fragrance, and incense isn't even listed in the notes. And I tend not to be an fan of most incense unless it's very subtle.

Even more surprising, I did not find the projection to be very good, considering its cost. Longevity is good, however.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, St James of London, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Sticky sweet ethyl maltol bomb. Tragicomic price tag.

Basenotes Plus

I am really surprised by some of the impressions on this scent. Especially because so many of you see it as a sweet gourmand. Something must be terribly off with my nose. It did not strike me as gourmand at all, most definitely not sticky sweet and no ethly maltol to my nose whatsoever. I'd say it's mostly a woody fragrance. For my taste it wasn't sweet or gourmand enough, it was simply kind of boring-ish. But I think it's still a nice inoffensive everyday scent with polite projection and good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    I am really surprised by some of the impressions on this scent. Especially because so many of you see it as a sweet gourmand. Something must be terribly off with my nose. It did not strike me as gourmand at all, most definitely not sticky sweet and no ethly maltol to my nose whatsoever. I'd say it's mostly a woody fragrance. For my taste it wasn't sweet or gourmand enough, it was simply kind of boring-ish. But I think it's still a nice inoffensive everyday scent with polite projection and good longevity.
    There is definitely loads of maltol in this. Sweetness was so screechy, synthetic and unbearable that I had to scrub it off within 10 minutes.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I tried at a few weeks ago at BG and thought it was okay but nothing special - undistinguished is probably the best word. I've a pretty low tolerance for overly sweet scents and this didn't bother me, although it's certainly sweet. I also only tried it on paper so maybe it would have been a mess on my skin. Skull box is tackier than usual for the house, and I say this as a fan and owner of a number of Kilian releases.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by camorr View Post
    There is definitely loads of maltol in this. Sweetness was so screechy, synthetic and unbearable that I had to scrub it off within 10 minutes.
    I agree. An overpriced and linear blob of sweetness. Any amen flanker does a similar style much better at a fraction of the price.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I don't know guys. If that is indeed so then I must be anosmic to a big part of the scent, no other explanation, because I owned the frikkin' thing (mostly because I wanted the skull) and I also know my ethyl maltol well, I wear sugar bombs on day to day basis. It could be some form of anosmia though, given how soft the scent was on me regardless of how many sprays I'd apply.

Basenotes Junkie

Still can't get my nose on this, but did talk to a by Killian rep at Nordstrom. She said she'll mail me a sample when she returns next week. I asked for a sample of Single Malt and Sacred Wood as well. Can't wait!