Code of Conduct
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Aftelier Perfumes Sample Pass

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Yes, Mike, exactly the same! The Cafleurbon reviewer seems to have picked up the orange note as orange blossom flowers or neroli, but to my nose (and this is all subjective), it's the same bitter, resinous, juicy orange note used in Oud Luban and Cacao (among others). I will send you my sample so you can test it for yourself. I think anyone who likes Oud Luban will like this one also.
    I got the Curious sample today Claire - thank you so much.

I had no idea that this particular scent is coming on the heels of Mandy's 'museum' that made news in the New York Times T Magazine (you go girl!): https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/t...-berkeley.html

I can't wait to try this! Squeeeeee!!!!!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

Basenotes Junkie

Hello, hello, helloooo, wonderful people!

Thank you again to ClaireV and of course to Mandy Aftel for this wonderful sample pass!!! I am so excited to be able to join and sample these and sorry for not posting sooner. I've had a few family related issues keeping me offline. I did let both thediamondsea and ClaireV know that the samples had arrived safely, and I have sampled almost all and will be ready to mail them on to caribbeanisland by Wednesday, so we are right on schedule, pending the receipt of mailing info which I have already requested. I am still writing up my sniffing notes, but here are a few reviews to start with! I will continue writing and posting. Actually, I have a third review written already, but I wrote it after a long day, and drop or two of alcohol was involved, and the scent was traumatizing, and I wrote a lot. It's all scent related, (I think!) but I should probably try to edit it down so as not to embarrass myself more than usual.

I've really been enjoying going back and reading (or re-reading parts) of the thread! I stopped reading after I signed on to the pass, hoping to have more of a "blind" sniff, and prior to that had been spottily reading as much as I could, intending to mine the many nuggets of gold from the thread when I had time. I am really enjoying the incense discussions, and well, I have already had a bit of excitement from the incense posts waayyy back. Thanks to the wonderfully informative posts by Scarce, I learned that the apparently amazing resin, halmaddi, (used in Nag Champa to produce the Champaca scent when burned) is obtained from the Ailanthus tree. Guess what volunteer tree I have recently discovered in my mom's garden, and have not removed yet? It is an Ailanthus tree, commonly called Tree of Heaven, so I could hardly contain myself at my possible good fortune! Could I have my own homegrown halmaddi resource, already growing??? But such happiness was not to be! LOL... I looked it up, and found that halmaddi is from a different species of Ailanthus... The one growing in my mom's yard is often considered a noxious weed, and is also known as "Stink Tree," "Stinking Sumac," "Tree of Hell," and even the Chinese name translates into "Foul Smelling Tree." LOL! So much for that! (The Stink Tree will have to go after all!) And that was my halmaddi heartbreak, lol!

So, my first installment:

Cepes and Tuberose

This was quite the enigma! From the first sniff from the adorable mini bottle, I was surprised! Initially, I smelled a mentholated tuberose, and I nodded knowingly, thinking, "Ah, yes, it's like Carnal Flower or Tubereuse Criminelle." However, that impression quickly shifted when I applied a tiny smear to my wrist. I was blown away by the spiciness of the perfume, and I was reminded almost exactly of Tiger Balm! ( This: http://www.tigerbalm.com/us/pages/tb...?product_id=17) The spices were sharp and angular, like a mixture of clove, mace and allspice. A strong woody note arose, and it was very clearly rosewood. The mentholated aspect was present still, but lacked any floralcy. The scent had a sort of mouth-filling, tart but inedible feel at the back of my throat. Despite the spices, the scent felt very cool, and made me think of hues such as green and pale blue, separate but also blending like a double loaded paintbrush creating a beautiful turquoise. The menthol note was still evident when the scent began to grow earthy. This earthy, loamy scent was moist and still cool, but it felt like a color shift was taking place and the whole thing was warming up, still leaning towards green, but sunstreaked with yellow swathes of light like a leaf in bright sun. I had never sensed such a lightness from an earthy note! I was also struck by how vividly this scent drew visualizations of color and impressions of feel. It was so interesting, I almost forgot that there was supposed to be a tuberose in this scent! However, it was equally interesting that the scent began to take on a cinnamon sweetness. The spices had rounded out and every little crevice formed by those dark and "pointy" smelling spices was crammed full of soft, warm cinnamon powder! This continued on with the addition of a dry straw or hay note, and finally a bit of a floral note became apparent-- it was not identifiable as tuberose, but felt thick and exotic. It was creamy and deep with the spice, hay, earth and root, reminded me again of a Lutensesque scent. The earthy and rooty aspects grew louder again, and then I sensed some leather as well, again taking me by surprise. The feel was now dusky, and darkening, as if evening were falling. I still sensed the cinnamon quite a bit and the floral bloomed quietly into more of a tuberose scent, and then faded away quickly, as if the fleshy petals could not sustain their own weight. A bit of an indolic note wafted by, along with a rosewood-y, dry element. The cinnamon was still noticeable, and the whole thing sweetened as it moved into the drydown. After about one hour, it began to take on the vanillic cast of benzoin, perhaps with a touch of something ambery, and after two hours, it was very faint, and smelled only of a dry, spiced potpourri.

This was a surprising scent for me, as I did not sense much of a mushroomy aspect, beyond the earthy, rooty notes. This was not what I would think of when I think of cepes or porcini mushrooms. I find they have a strong aroma, so this was more like the loamy bed of soil and humus that produced the mushrooms. Likewise, I did not sense much in the way of tuberose. It was like a phantom flower, with small wisps of scent trailing here and there in the scent, but it was not what I expected at all from such a grand dame of the botanic world. Granted, had the name not been "Cepes and Tuberose," I am sure my expectations would have been different altogether. The scent was very enjoyable, nonetheless, but not something that I would "need" to add to my collection. I used a very spare amount, probably amounting to mere drops, but still it was much softer and more short lived than I would have expected from extrait strength perfume.

On the day I tested this perfume, we were going for a walk at the beach around sunset. I am not sure if this affected the scent in any appreciable way, but it did mean that I had Bf all to myself for a few hours, facilitating the ease with which I could shove my wrist under his nose and demand an assessment. I was actually quite impressed by him on a few counts! His first sniff was after about 10-15 minutes. He said it was greenish, and vegetable, but very familiar. He said it also smelled kind of like my "thing in the wooden box," which was actually shockingly astute, as the wooden box is a small, fragrant carved rosewood piece with a little chunk of amber inside. He had smelled the box years ago, but obviously remembered it clearly. Also, the amber chunk is fairly dry and not super fragrant unless you crumble and warm it a bit, so I feel certain that when he mentioned the box, he was also getting at the rosewood fragrance, as that is all you really smell when you open it, perhaps only with a hint of amber sweetness. (I was pretty impressed by my honey!) A bit later on, he noted tobacco, but questioned that as well, and I should have prodded more to clarify. I wonder if that was the straw or hay I sensed. About 30 minutes in, he said "Cinnamon. Mostly cinnamon!" And he acted like that was so obvious and kind of rolled his eyes that he had missed it earlier! I asked him then and again later after about 45 minutes to an hour, if he sensed anything floral. He did not. But he did think it smelled good.

Palimpsest

Now this was something I really enjoyed! It opened with a fabulous, sweet jasmine. It was so candied, and practically seemed like a sweet jasmine bloom dusted in powdered sugar! The jasmine was not all sugar and all things nice, as it had a bit of an indolic note, and reminded me a bit of Nuda, although I have not worn Nuda recently, so perhaps I am wrong. This continued on for a bit, and then it grew even sweeter. It had aspects that were fruity and peachy, but not in the manner of a real, juicy peach. It was sort of like a peach gummy fruit, one crusted with diamond like crystals of sugar. Although this was a bit of a synthetic fruit note (I know, I know... naturals, isolates, synthetics, oh my!) I still found it odd when I also sensed a smell like a solvent-- frankly it reminded me of a ketone, specifically bringing to mind Methyl ethyl ketone, but again it's been a long time since I have smelled that, so I could be very wrong, but it was definitely a whiff of something solvent like. As time passed, it grew warmer and creamier overall. The jasmine was full and had a strange mouth-filling effect, and one that I have not experienced with jasmine! It was inedible, to be sure, but still had some cocoa-vanillic aspect that combined with the sweet florals to be deliciously mouthwatering. This one is definitely addictive to me, and required many deep breaths of sweet floral joy. As the scent evolved, it became clear that a new floral was taking center stage. The beautiful, luminous tiare followed the jasmine opening act. The scent was fresh, but indolic, and accented the greeness of the jasmine wonderfully. As the flowers danced together, it was as if they bore a stephanotis baby surrounded by a bouquet of foliage and other supporting blooms. The floral bouquet grew a bit greener and stemmier, almost becoming springlike with a clear, bright daffodil and sweet honeyed floral notes that balanced the heady,exotic tropicals. Some golden ylang ylang was woven through the arrangement, and the fragrance continued in this lovely manner for hours. It really reminded me of Intense Tiare and Jasmine Full at this stage.
    (I stopped reading the thread once I signed up, and prior to that had only followed when I could, so forgive me if I am ignorant or forgetful-- but I had to wonder if our lovely teardrop had sampled this one? It struck me as something that she would enjoy, as I know she is a fellow fan of [BI]ntense Tiare[/B]. ) After about 4-5 hours, there was a powdery, almost flour dough scent, vanillic and sweet, like a yummy pastry being prepared. This was vaguely reminiscent of Bois Farine, and I would guess it was iris related. At about 6-7 hours, the scent was extremely faint, but had turned dusty sweet and woodier.

This was just absolutely lovely, and one that I really could imagine adding to my collection. Although it has similarities to Intense Tiare to my nose, I enjoy every aspect of this fragrance and appreciate it all the more for being created from natural materials. There is a certain special depth or visceral effect some of the Aftelier scents have upon me, and that is also a sort of rarity that I think warrants risking "redundancy" in my wardrobe. And hey, I really have not let redundancy or or similarity among my perfumes stop me much anyway! Oh, and now I really want to experiment with making candied jasmine blooms, much like they have traditionally done with violets.
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 11th July 2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typos and there are probably more... Sigh
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

Hello all...have been watching this thread with great interest and was about to place an order with Foster who works with Mandy. Then lovely teardrop sent me a vial of Ancient Resins to try just before I headed off to Greece.

With this beautiful elixir, Mandy has really brought a part of Greek (and I imagine other countries) history to life and I don't know if she is aware of this. When I first opened the vial, it was a surprise to smell a beautiful refined version of something I had grown up with all my life.

The resins Mandy has used in this beautiful composition are the same ones that have been used constantly in Greece.....although in beeswax and not as refined or beautifully smelling...as our family tubs have olive oil also as an ingredient. The similar balm was used for scratches as a child, put on the end of your hair if you were going to play all day in the sea and both sexes would rub it into their skin after bathing.

It has a historical aspect to it as well (and I was reluctant to mention this in case I offended anybody, but a very wise and kind base noter told me I should mention it) as this similar balm was used during periods of invasion of Greece in WW2 and prior to that. When Metaxas (still a controversial figure in Greek history...but he was my grandfathers uncle) said *oxhi* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohi_Day to the Mussolini machine (which was heavily militarised by Hitler and having a massive army) on the 28th October ......every barefooted abled Greek male (and female) took a similar tincture to fight back the invading Italians and against impossible odds won. Then the Germans, and again the Italians invaded Greece and this similar balm was used as all medicine and food was confiscated along with very harsh measures against the local people. On my island and throughout Greece it was made in secret with especially the frankincense, benzoin, labdanum, elemi and tree resins to treat so many ailments, and sent to the resistance.

It is interesting today that Korres best selling products are the rose creams and the tree resins are used in so many of their products. And more interesting that large doses of frankincense are used in various *boob oils* with sweet almond oil and sandalwood that encourage healthy breasts.....and if people are skeptical of this, then if nothing else it is a measure for women to check their breasts.

My vial was beautiful and I will be purchasing this and other perfumes you all have taken the time to describe. The only problem being once you go to her website ...it's very very easy to convince yourself that you really need to try a lot more and hit *add to basket* ......which should really have been my user name on basenotes.

regards to all and many thanks for the wonderful reviews.

sea roses
    "For the wise it is easy to go anywhere. Because the whole world is home to a good soul"....Democritus 470-370BC

Basenotes Institution

My BF despised the smell of Curious I stuck under his nose to ask his opinion. He made a face and said it almost made him nauseous. So...I'm gonna have to give this a full test when he's not around lol.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

cestrum, l have not tried Palimpsest, but now thanks to you it has got my attention!

Sea Roses, l am so glad you posted that fascinating information, as well as floored to to know that you are related to Metaxas! l have read a lot about 20th century Greek history, but of course you don't find these kinds of perfume-related stories in books. Somehow l knew you had to try Ancient Resins, but l had no idea just how personal your experience would be. Thank you so much for posting it here!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin T by Bruno Acampora

What a way to start things off, Cestrum Nocturnum! Boy, you write well. First of all, may I say what an understanding boyfriend you have, volunteering his nose and skin like that. Second, how hilarious is it that your Tree of Heaven turned into a Tree of Hell and all in 5 minutes flat....I had so hoped for a better outcome to that story. I had been imagining you slashing the tree to allow the halmaddi to seep out into buckets like maple syrup, selling it to nag champa makers, and making a small fortune....like discovering an oil well in your background. Oh well! Loved your review of Cepes & Tuberose - sounds like it really grabbed you, even if it wasn't quite your thing. I think that Palimpsest tested poor Scarce's tolerance for indolic jasmine to the limits, and we have yet to hear about it...

Welcome, Sea Roses! It would be lovely to have your input here, so please, come back with all your impressions when you're testing your samples. How fascinating about the history of the use of those herbs and balsams (from Ancient Resins) in Greek unguents - and yes, I can see how emotionally evocative this specific smell must be for the Greeks, especially if they are emblematic of the fight against the Nazis. No wonder Teardrop with her Greek heritage also had such a strong response to Ancient Resins - and the good life too loved it and found it evocative of a particularly "Greek" landscape. I lived in the Balkans for many years (17!) and they also believe firmly in the healing power of tisanes and herbs. I remember with some fondness a dusty herbal tea I was recommended to drink during pregnancy to cleanse the blood and urine, as well as a special herbal remedy for milk production, and so on. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more from you, Sea Roses, and welcome again!

Mike, glad to hear that the sample survived its second transatlantic journey in a matter of two weeks.....but sorry to hear about the boyfriend's reaction. Well, quite simply, one of them must go!

Basenotes Plus

Lumiere

Really didn't think much of this one at first blush, so decided to slather it on as the sample I received is still quite full. First thing I noticed was a fruity note, a sort of green apple smell, which is the phenyl ethyl acetate listed in the notes I suppose. Reminded me a bit of a dish soap I use. After that some florals, including lily maybe (though it's not listed in the note breakdown), and I guess honeysuckle, as I'm not sure if I've ever smelled that flower before (northener). I did pick up on the green tea though, and just a touch of ambergris again to give it some "oomph".

Overall, a light pleasant scent which shouldn't offend anyone. Not terribly interesting to me, but seems like it'd be a safe summer scent to wear.
    Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

Basenotes Plus

Bergamoss

As you would expect from the name, this one is green and citrusy. From Mandy Aftel:

Bergamoss features the sumptuous marriage of oakmoss, with its aromas of the wet forest floor, and the bright freshness of bergamot. It harkens back to the substantial and transporting chypres of old. I was after a particular kind of chypre -- one that was both rich and fresh, bright and heavy, sweet and loamy.

A wet forest floor is quite an accurate depiction. Rather than rotting vegetal matter though something far more pleasant emerges. She uses the word "loamy", as in earthy, but to my nose it's quite like the rich smell of pipe tobacco.

Quite enjoyed the smell of this one, but performance for the solid was quite weak. I put enough on my wrist to get it the colour of the Incredible Hulk but still only managed about 3-4 hrs with it.

8 gms for $240 seems pricey, but the sample sent was 1/4 gm and would give me perhaps 10-12 wears.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Bergamoss

As you would expect from the name, this one is green and citrusy. From Mandy Aftel:

A wet forest floor is quite an accurate depiction. Rather than rotting vegetal matter though something far more pleasant emerges. She uses the word "loamy", as in earthy, but to my nose it's quite like the rich smell of pipe tobacco.

Quite enjoyed the smell of this one, but performance for the solid was quite weak. I put enough on my wrist to get it the colour of the Incredible Hulk but still only managed about 3-4 hrs with it.

8 gms for $240 seems pricey, but the sample sent was 1/4 gm and would give me perhaps 10-12 wears.
    Thank-you Scarce,
    I will be watching for the loamy tobacco.

I also appreciate " 8 gms for $240 seems pricey, but the sample sent was 1/4 gm and would give me perhaps 10-12 wears."

My mind follows that train of thought when it comes to consideration of pricing.

Hmmm. 320 wears for about 75 cents a wearing. 24 wearings a year would probably be my average. 12 years or more of wearing.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 12th July 2017 at 02:13 AM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Wow, this thread is incredible. Enjoying the descriptions, experiences and stories so freely shared by everyone. Bergamoss and Palimpsest sound like scents I would enjoy.

Btw, cestrum nocturnum, that bit of trivia on your "Stink Tree" cracked me up, lol. Perhaps Mandy could find a way to tincture it and create something animalic...

Basenotes Institution

I think Bergamoss was my favorite out of all of the samples. I wish it was more affordable.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Junkie

(((Sea Roses,))) what a beautiful review of Ancient Resins! I must definitely obtain a sample of this magical oil! And *thank you* for sharing the interesting, informative and important connection to the traditional Greek herbal tonic/oil. I have such respect and indeed, great reverence for this type of human knowledge, often distilled and purified through time and experience and passed down as the truest of heirloom treasures. I am sure it was and is immensely healing and useful. I wonder if it is something that was ever created commercially or has it always been a tradition carried on by families or communities? I would love to try to such, or to try to recreate it! I just love oils, tinctures and herbal medicine, much as I value our modern "better living through science." Thank you again for sharing! It is always an absolute treat to read your posts!

teardrop, not to try to be an evil enabler, but I really thought of you * so much* as I wore Palimpsest!

And thank you, Claire, for your kind words! I wish I had the time to really edit and write more succinctly, but I was sort of rushing so as not to lag behind. I greatly appreciate your support! It means so much especially coming from such an excellent writer and excellent human! And I am glad that Bf's little mini review was fun! I did not put any on him, as I am always worried about "wasting" sample pass perfumes, but he is used to having my wrist obnoxiously thrust into his face every few minutes. The day that I tested C&T, he was rocking the sweet, soapy tuberose of Fragile by Gaultier. He pinched it from my wardrobe and make no mistake, it is now his. I'm so happy to be here! Where else could I talk about my Bf wearing my perfume and not sound weird?!? LOL! (((Hugs!!!!))) And I know! I was ready to get a whole slew of sap collecting buckets!!!! That sneaky Ailanthus genus, having both gooooood smelling species and awful smelling ones! Geesh. Another funny common name I read was "Ghetto Palm" LOL! I think they called it Tree of Heaven when it was first imported and touted by horticulturalists for its beauty and fast, easy growth, and then as the particulars became evident, they adjusted the name to Tree of Hell...

Diamondflame, you are evil. But I love the way you think! lolololol....

Here's my daily installment:

Bergamoss

Ah, Bergamoss, Bergamoss --- such a cute name! Alas, I get *no* bergamot from it! (?) I love bergamot and have and use the essential oil. Why is my nose not finding it anywhere? Hmmm.

Anyway, the lovely green solid yields mostly celery seed and forest mulch initially. The mulch is heavy in conifer content mixed with other broad leaves, and has a *tiny* bit of urine from passing animals, yet does not smell dirty or repellent. The mulch also has some dried fennel mixed in, perhaps dragged into the woods by a small , furry animal making a nest. This lends a slightly sweet anisic character.to the scent of this forest floor and the slightest whiff of that little forest creature. The trees which dropped the bark, leaves, and needles have thick carpets of moss growing on their trunks, roots, and the surrounding earth and even if it is covered by debris, it eventually pokes through the fallen leaves. It is often bruised by both human and animal passers by, releasing its deep, complex mossy aroma. Some sweet coumarin scent from dry hay, sweet meliliot and lavender growing in nearby fields wafts by on the breeze. As I stroll through the forest on my daily walk (hey, a girl can dream, right? ) the steam rising from my mug of mate, mint and lemongrass tea mingles with the forest scents around me, adding both bitter notes and lemony-minty ones, yet somehow it is all in quietly perfect harmony. As my pace picks up, the scent of the horse liniment*** that I used on my runners knee rises up and the wintergreen blends in seamlessly with it all, wafting up with each step. After my walk, I am back in my own garden, and the lightly floral and erbal scents around me mix with the smells of the forest lingering on my hair and clothing. Having tended my garden, I wash inside with a mildly scented white bar of soap, the clean, musky aroma gently sparkling from the soap bubbles as they converge, join and eventually pop in small bursts. My evening closes with a little dash of herbal bitters in a nightcap.

*** (Not approved for human use, but give Bigeloil a try, if you're looking for a truly bracing experience! LOL! Disclaimer: Not approved for human use, so don't say I didn't tell you, ~twice, even!~ dilute, use at your own risk, blah, blah, and don't blame me for any ill effects.. This ends my public disservice announcement.)

Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 13th July 2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: disclaimer and other stuff ;)
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Junkie

Oh, and I will make this a separate post, so it is not lost in my rambling above. I have not heard from Caribbeanisland yet and Claire mentioned that there was added interest here in CONUS so the samples will be heading to RHM next.

There is a lot left in the mini bottles! Most are half full, more or less. The Cinnamon Essence is a tad low, as it is a smaller bottle and the Bergamoss solid has at least 3/4 left if not more. The samples added by thediamondsea have more than half left, and although smaller in size, I am pretty confident that there is still enough for a few samplers. I only needed a small amount to test and I feel like I got a good sampling with that, and judging from the remaining amount, the other participants felt the same! Looks like there should be more than enough for a couple more folks, even accounting for RHM and Caribbeanisland.
    ~ Henri Matisse

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Hello, hello, helloooo, wonderful people!

Thank you again to ClaireV and of course to Mandy Aftel for this wonderful sample pass!!! I am so excited to be able to join and sample these and sorry for not posting sooner. I've had a few family related issues keeping me offline. I did let both thediamondsea and ClaireV know that the samples had arrived safely, and I have sampled almost all and will be ready to mail them on to caribbeanisland by Wednesday, so we are right on schedule, pending the receipt of mailing info which I have already requested. I am still writing up my sniffing notes, but here are a few reviews to start with! I will continue writing and posting. Actually, I have a third review written already, but I wrote it after a long day, and drop or two of alcohol was involved, and the scent was traumatizing, and I wrote a lot. It's all scent related, (I think!) but I should probably try to edit it down so as not to embarrass myself more than usual.

I've really been enjoying going back and reading (or re-reading parts) of the thread! I stopped reading after I signed on to the pass, hoping to have more of a "blind" sniff, and prior to that had been spottily reading as much as I could, intending to mine the many nuggets of gold from the thread when I had time. I am really enjoying the incense discussions, and well, I have already had a bit of excitement from the incense posts waayyy back. Thanks to the wonderfully informative posts by Scarce, I learned that the apparently amazing resin, halmaddi, (used in Nag Champa to produce the Champaca scent when burned) is obtained from the Ailanthus tree. Guess what volunteer tree I have recently discovered in my mom's garden, and have not removed yet? It is an Ailanthus tree, commonly called Tree of Heaven, so I could hardly contain myself at my possible good fortune! Could I have my own homegrown halmaddi resource, already growing??? But such happiness was not to be! LOL... I looked it up, and found that halmaddi is from a different species of Ailanthus... The one growing in my mom's yard is often considered a noxious weed, and is also known as "Stink Tree," "Stinking Sumac," "Tree of Hell," and even the Chinese name translates into "Foul Smelling Tree." LOL! So much for that! (The Stink Tree will have to go after all!) And that was my halmaddi heartbreak, lol!

So, my first installment:

Cepes and Tuberose

This was quite the enigma! From the first sniff from the adorable mini bottle, I was surprised! Initially, I smelled a mentholated tuberose, and I nodded knowingly, thinking, "Ah, yes, it's like Carnal Flower or Tubereuse Criminelle." However, that impression quickly shifted when I applied a tiny smear to my wrist. I was blown away by the spiciness of the perfume, and I was reminded almost exactly of Tiger Balm! ( This: http://www.tigerbalm.com/us/pages/tb...?product_id=17) The spices were sharp and angular, like a mixture of clove, mace and allspice. A strong woody note arose, and it was very clearly rosewood. The mentholated aspect was present still, but lacked any floralcy. The scent had a sort of mouth-filling, tart but inedible feel at the back of my throat. Despite the spices, the scent felt very cool, and made me think of hues such as green and pale blue, separate but also blending like a double loaded paintbrush creating a beautiful turquoise. The menthol note was still evident when the scent began to grow earthy. This earthy, loamy scent was moist and still cool, but it felt like a color shift was taking place and the whole thing was warming up, still leaning towards green, but sunstreaked with yellow swathes of light like a leaf in bright sun. I had never sensed such a lightness from an earthy note! I was also struck by how vividly this scent drew visualizations of color and impressions of feel. It was so interesting, I almost forgot that there was supposed to be a tuberose in this scent! However, it was equally interesting that the scent began to take on a cinnamon sweetness. The spices had rounded out and every little crevice formed by those dark and "pointy" smelling spices was crammed full of soft, warm cinnamon powder! This continued on with the addition of a dry straw or hay note, and finally a bit of a floral note became apparent-- it was not identifiable as tuberose, but felt thick and exotic. It was creamy and deep with the spice, hay, earth and root, reminded me again of a Lutensesque scent. The earthy and rooty aspects grew louder again, and then I sensed some leather as well, again taking me by surprise. The feel was now dusky, and darkening, as if evening were falling. I still sensed the cinnamon quite a bit and the floral bloomed quietly into more of a tuberose scent, and then faded away quickly, as if the fleshy petals could not sustain their own weight. A bit of an indolic note wafted by, along with a rosewood-y, dry element. The cinnamon was still noticeable, and the whole thing sweetened as it moved into the drydown. After about one hour, it began to take on the vanillic cast of benzoin, perhaps with a touch of something ambery, and after two hours, it was very faint, and smelled only of a dry, spiced potpourri.

This was a surprising scent for me, as I did not sense much of a mushroomy aspect, beyond the earthy, rooty notes. This was not what I would think of when I think of cepes or porcini mushrooms. I find they have a strong aroma, so this was more like the loamy bed of soil and humus that produced the mushrooms. Likewise, I did not sense much in the way of tuberose. It was like a phantom flower, with small wisps of scent trailing here and there in the scent, but it was not what I expected at all from such a grand dame of the botanic world. Granted, had the name not been "Cepes and Tuberose," I am sure my expectations would have been different altogether. The scent was very enjoyable, nonetheless, but not something that I would "need" to add to my collection. I used a very spare amount, probably amounting to mere drops, but still it was much softer and more short lived than I would have expected from extrait strength perfume.

On the day I tested this perfume, we were going for a walk at the beach around sunset. I am not sure if this affected the scent in any appreciable way, but it did mean that I had Bf all to myself for a few hours, facilitating the ease with which I could shove my wrist under his nose and demand an assessment. I was actually quite impressed by him on a few counts! His first sniff was after about 10-15 minutes. He said it was greenish, and vegetable, but very familiar. He said it also smelled kind of like my "thing in the wooden box," which was actually shockingly astute, as the wooden box is a small, fragrant carved rosewood piece with a little chunk of amber inside. He had smelled the box years ago, but obviously remembered it clearly. Also, the amber chunk is fairly dry and not super fragrant unless you crumble and warm it a bit, so I feel certain that when he mentioned the box, he was also getting at the rosewood fragrance, as that is all you really smell when you open it, perhaps only with a hint of amber sweetness. (I was pretty impressed by my honey!) A bit later on, he noted tobacco, but questioned that as well, and I should have prodded more to clarify. I wonder if that was the straw or hay I sensed. About 30 minutes in, he said "Cinnamon. Mostly cinnamon!" And he acted like that was so obvious and kind of rolled his eyes that he had missed it earlier! I asked him then and again later after about 45 minutes to an hour, if he sensed anything floral. He did not. But he did think it smelled good.

Palimpsest

Now this was something I really enjoyed! It opened with a fabulous, sweet jasmine. It was so candied, and practically seemed like a sweet jasmine bloom dusted in powdered sugar! The jasmine was not all sugar and all things nice, as it had a bit of an indolic note, and reminded me a bit of Nuda, although I have not worn Nuda recently, so perhaps I am wrong. This continued on for a bit, and then it grew even sweeter. It had aspects that were fruity and peachy, but not in the manner of a real, juicy peach. It was sort of like a peach gummy fruit, one crusted with diamond like crystals of sugar. Although this was a bit of a synthetic fruit note (I know, I know... naturals, isolates, synthetics, oh my!) I still found it odd when I also sensed a smell like a solvent-- frankly it reminded me of a ketone, specifically bringing to mind Methyl ethyl ketone, but again it's been a long time since I have smelled that, so I could be very wrong, but it was definitely a whiff of something solvent like. As time passed, it grew warmer and creamier overall. The jasmine was full and had a strange mouth-filling effect, and one that I have not experienced with jasmine! It was inedible, to be sure, but still had some cocoa-vanillic aspect that combined with the sweet florals to be deliciously mouthwatering. This one is definitely addictive to me, and required many deep breaths of sweet floral joy. As the scent evolved, it became clear that a new floral was taking center stage. The beautiful, luminous tiare followed the jasmine opening act. The scent was fresh, but indolic, and accented the greeness of the jasmine wonderfully. As the flowers danced together, it was as if they bore a stephanotis baby surrounded by a bouquet of foliage and other supporting blooms. The floral bouquet grew a bit greener and stemmier, almost becoming springlike with a clear, bright daffodil and sweet honeyed floral notes that balanced the heady,exotic tropicals. Some golden ylang ylang was woven through the arrangement, and the fragrance continued in this lovely manner for hours. It really reminded me of Intense Tiare and Jasmine Full at this stage.
    (I stopped reading the thread once I signed up, and prior to that had only followed when I could, so forgive me if I am ignorant or forgetful-- but I had to wonder if our lovely teardrop had sampled this one? It struck me as something that she would enjoy, as I know she is a fellow fan of [BI]ntense Tiare[/B]. ) After about 4-5 hours, there was a powdery, almost flour dough scent, vanillic and sweet, like a yummy pastry being prepared. This was vaguely reminiscent of Bois Farine, and I would guess it was iris related. At about 6-7 hours, the scent was extremely faint, but had turned dusty sweet and woodier.

This was just absolutely lovely, and one that I really could imagine adding to my collection. Although it has similarities to Intense Tiare to my nose, I enjoy every aspect of this fragrance and appreciate it all the more for being created from natural materials. There is a certain special depth or visceral effect some of the Aftelier scents have upon me, and that is also a sort of rarity that I think warrants risking "redundancy" in my wardrobe. And hey, I really have not let redundancy or or similarity among my perfumes stop me much anyway! Oh, and now I really want to experiment with making candied jasmine blooms, much like they have traditionally done with violets.
    Monnnnsterrrr cestrumpost (clap clap, clapclapclap)

Welcome!
    Currently wearing: Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

Basenotes Junkie

Hi IsoE!!!! Thanks for the ballpark greeting! I feel big league now!!!! lololol...

Cuir de Gardenia

(Thanks to thediamondsea for sharing her sample.)

This opens with a soft bandaid-y leather. The gardenia is also immediately apparent and is slightly mentholated. The whole thing feels fleshy, with both the leather and the thickness of the petals filling the space. The gardenia grows greener rather quickly and the leathery note fades. After several minutes, it becomes much sweeter but stops short of candy thanks to a faintly sweaty and herbal note. A dry, spice note grows stronger, and it reminds me a little of coriander seed. The leather is still apparent, but grows lighter. Similarly, the gardenia is changing shape a bit and is starting to smell more like a mix of gardenia, jasmne and stephanotis, in a heady, sweet white tropical flower melange. The florals are very realistic, with the green and herbal notes still nesting and singing around the blooms. The greens are also sweet, but not overly so, more like a fresh clover leaf. This balances the creamy and lovely floral notes, and our bouquet of flowers become more stephanotis prominent. These pretty white flowers bloom quietly for a few hours, and then as the scent dries down, it grows just a touch animalic, but like the clean, soft fur of a cat.

Overall, I actually felt that this was the most readily "acceptable" and understandable fragrance of the the Aftelier scents in the sample set. While white flowers are usually mentioned in conjunction with the adjective "big," I felt that these were soft and beautiful. I actually have gardenia, jasmine (pink polyanthum though), and stephanotis currently blooming in my garden, so I could compare the blooms to my wrist which was really fun! The florals in the scent were very realistic, as I mentioned, and never came across as overpowering or sickening. That said, I do wonder if this is partially due to the relatively small amount that I used, the fact of it being an extrait, the use of naturals in producing the scent, or even my own love of/ high tolerance of white flowers. Whatever the case, it is another that I found was so enjoyable that I could imagine adding it to my collection. My concern with all of these is the very quiet nature of the scents. I really had to stick my nose to my wrist to enjoy this and the others I have sampled, and I don't think I would be able to have a normal day with my arm in that position whenever I chose to wear it.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

For those interested, Vogue has a brief profile of Mandy Aftel in their recent issue.

http://www.vogue.com/article/natural...ley-california

Basenotes Junkie

Hello again! I did not have time to write another review today, but this is a review of Fig that I had written earlier. I hoped to edit it more, but I am better at rambling, lol. And, who's actually reading this anyway?

And thanks, Scarce, for posting the article! I look forward to reading it!

Fig

A small swipe on the wrist first produced a medley of scents-- there was an immediate flash of recognition. Something was so familiar and seared into the the brain. Then, just as instantaneously, it grew loud and obvious as the perfume warmed on my skin. It was urine. A lot of concentrated, stale urine, smelling like it had veritably been poured over some little sweet floral something. As I sniffed, (mostly out of horror and surprise) I noted some faint aroma of a vaguely herbaceous sort-- a kind of sharp coniferous aroma, with a touch of a lavender laced fougere-like accord, but only in the faintest sense and lacking any coumarin sweetness. It was all drowned in pee, like a conifer forest or lavender field submerged and transformed into a mangrove flooded by the latrine to end all latrines with just plant tips poking out from between broken twigs. Amidst all of the urine and feces, there was perhaps a bit of something "spicy" but I could not pinpoint any spice in particular, strangely making me feel rather desperate. Mostly, the urine came through and through, overpowering any other notes or fragrances. There was a bit of a salty feel, then a kind of sweet flower perfume made me think almost of tuberose, but this was quickly wrestled down by a most formidable opponent, ("The Pee,") who was clearly set to earn the championship title, gaudy prize belt included. The other notes fought valiantly as well, and eventually a sort of citric note came to the ring. It reminded me of dried lime, and combined with that vague "spice" actually made me think of this chili-lime-salt powder that is sprinkled liberally on fruits and beers and either coats or nestles inside hard candies in Mexico. (THIS: http://www.tajin.com/products) It was rather mouthwatering, in a very disturbing way, given the overpowering urine smell. Anyway, after The Pee won that round, there also came some bit of hairspray misted onto the dying floral, but that note lost out as well, evanescent as a little puff of air deodorizer in a dive bar bathroom. For the next round, some tiny little jasmine came out swinging, fighting in indole to scatole combat, but lost. Of interest, for this round, the daunting competitor showed up dressed as a big, dribbly rat. The Pee cum Dribbly Rat (uhm, ok, just to be clear, given the nature of the scent, I mean cum as in the latin use... ) was also covered lightly in sawdust from the wood shavings in the rat cage! That was an exciting development, but the woody scent disappeared like mere specks filtering down through The Pee, settling far below the many leagues of urine. This was all after about 30 minutes. I realized with each sniff, I was involuntarily grimacing. I imagined if I wore this in full dose and out in public, people would assume I was incontinent and soaked with both stale and fresh urine, resulting from many days of not washing. As I sat contemplating why any sane person, or just one still possessing a sense of smell, would desire to smell like an incontinent ablutophobe, my ancient cat surprised me and came over from her area of the yard. She had trekked across the garden and navigated two pathways, and then despite having only three legs, I watched her hop up three steps, eschewing the pet ramp. She came over and as I marveled at her strength and will to visit me instead of enjoying her usual sunbathing haunt, she took a certain pose and, yes, sure enough, she started peeing on the shag rug we just set up in our outdoor living space! I dashed over and snatched her up off the rug, but I thought, "How perfect! Even the cat thinks I smell like a sandbox!" At any rate, the 21 year old cat gets a pass for the pee, but I have no idea why any Fig needs to be drenched in so much urine! It smelled like a joke, wherein someone took concentrated urine crystals, crammed them into a bottle and added just the tiniest spray of a dimestore pine/fougere aftershave and a bit of Ysatis to be fancy, then called it perfume. Had I not the greatest respect for Mandy Aftel, faith in her expertise and artistry and a true belief that our noses ( read: my nose) can be fickle and it is very possible that we sense things so vastly different from others, I would have felt very duped and sure of being the butt (or as it were, urethral opening) of some mean prank or, at best, an unwilling and unwitting participant of some gross performance art. Anyway, after I cleaned and enzymed the heck out of the rug and felt intensely tempted to do the same to my wrist to rid myself of the pee smell once and for all, I noticed there was magically a bit of fig! Yet another surprise, and again, I felt pranked. At least this was in a better way! Sure enough, there was something slightly lactonic and green... but of course, with The Pee. Then it became a little sweaty. Yay. <sarcasm> There was still some vaguely floral note kicking around, trying to break free, but it remained fairly drowned with urine. I also noted that my wrist was becoming a little itchy and red. This was not that surprising, as I tend to have reactive, sensitive skin-- Dior Homme gives me a rash, and I am on my third bottle and have a stash as well! (shhhh, don't tell IFRA!) Although it was around dinner time, I had lost my appetite from smelling like a public bathroom in a third world country. However, I started cooking dutifully, given that the Bf had just called out sadly that I "don't feed him" and he is living on "ice cream and alcohol," (I fail to see the problem!?! Sounds *perfectly* healthy to me!!!!) In the process of washing and preparing food, (since, really, he can't cook, and it was a holiday so not great for ordering out) I managed to splash my pee-scented wrist quite a bit. Suddenly, the pee started to dissipate! I had resisted scrubbing or even rinsing to give this Fig a good chance to show itself, and finally, after being lightly rinsed, it started to behave. I started to sense more of a fig note. The florals seemed more prominent. More of that hairspray covered flower became apparent and a little hay sweetened the deal. The Pee was still there, but it was much, much lighter. I would still not consider this an enjoyable fragrance for me, but as the hours wore on, the thing finally cleaned up substantially. By 4-5 hours, The Pee was bowing out of the ring, ready to soak up victory and rest on the wreath made of toilet seat liners. By the sixth hour, I could detect the faintest scent of something like animal fur. Not bad, not bad at all. By the time 8 hours had passed, there was almost nothing left, but certainly nothing urinous, and I only sensed a shockingly clean musk aroma, perhaps strewn with a few herbs. It was finally good! But still not good enough to erase the memories of pee past.

Adding to the almost surreal encounter with this perfume, I tested the fragrance on the Fourth of July, and had been drinking this and that throughout the day and wrote most of the review at the end of the evening. Plus, Bf was watching PBS with his ice cream and booze, and they had a rather bizarre celebratory show featuring John Stamos hosting with large, wet stains on the front of his shirt, and then R2-D2 and C-3PO (?) did some random stuff mixed in with the fireworks, singing/lip syncing, et al... At any rate, overall, I was appalled by this scent. It was mostly revolting to wear, and by far, the absolute worst thing I have ever worn. Had I not been testing it for this sample pass, rest assured that I would have scrubbed almost immediately! I say this all without any hyperbole or exaggeration. That said, it was a very, very interesting experience. Although not pleasant, it was also extremely different from anything I have experienced. After I had completed my sampling, I looked up some reviews online and looked through this thread for Fig reviews. It seems like a few other people also had this sort of urine soaked impression of the scent. I am guessing that the high quality of Mandy's "African Stone" (i.e. petrified poop and pee Hyraceum ball) in addition to whatever phenomenon of my nose or skin coalesced create my experience of this scent, laden with all the aromas of a ripe latrine. This was an exceedingly educational fragrance for me to try! Thank you again, to ClaireV and Mandy Aftel
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 14th July 2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: the weirdest typos
    ~ Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Wow cestrum, that was one of the most hilarious reviews l have ever read! Thanks for a very articulate rant, & bravo for sticking with The Pee for so long!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin T by Bruno Acampora

Basenotes Plus

07-aftel-slide-es0z-superjumbo.jpg

Materials are organized on a perfumer’s “organ,” or workbench. Here, over 200 natural essences sourced from all over the world are available to smell. In front of the organ is an antique taxidermy civet, from one of the five exhibits allowing visitors to experience animal scents, which can be earthy, sweet and/or syrupy, and have been used in the creation of perfumes for thousands of years. These coveted tinctures are made from not terribly covetable-sounding ingredients like excrement, anal pods or perineal secretions, as in the case of the civet.
    https://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/20...lide-ES0Z.html

Another article, mostly pictures of Mandy Aftel's Archive of Curious Scents.

I've been chortling through the pee review.... thank you for the sparkling wit.

Here is a little gem for you.... one of my own pieces. Don't get too close.... lol. Note the holding of it with gloves on for good reason.

IMG_8053.jpg

That archive looks just like my own lab full of crazy tinctures... We're all bonkers.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Guys, just as an update I received the samples from Diamondflame and will test them over the next week. Happy to send them to the next person in the US or Canada but it will be in mid August when I can ship them from Canada. It's impossible to send fragrances out from Japan, yes tried before and failed miserably. I've asked another member in Japan if he wants to sample them as well so the timing may work out ok.
    Definitely looking forward to trying these scents! There's no need to rush, I can wait till mid August.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

That's good to know, thank you, Mixerscent! I am sure that N. Cal and the others won't mind in the slightest about the samples being mailed later on this summer, and it is very generous of you to do that. It would be great to hear your friend's impressions of the perfumes too, if he is a BN member? Or perhaps you can just tell us his thoughts. By the way, I am burning a Shoyeido Ga-Ho stick right now, and more than ever, giving thanks to you who sent me this beautiful box of incense in early 2015. Ga-Ho is possibly my favorite of all, even more than Nan-kun, because I love its very dry aloeswood paired with a very subtle cuminy undertone. I understand it means "refinement" in Japanese? If so, I can certainly see that.
    Claire, would it be possible for mixerscent to receive one of the US group samples since he would be in Canada in mid-August? One of the US group packages is in Canada currently which makes the timing right. Another possible opportunity for Mixerscent to smell more Aftelier samples.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Claire, would it be possible for mixerscent to receive one of the US group samples since he would be in Canada in mid-August? One of the US group packages is in Canada currently which makes the timing right. Another possible opportunity for Mixerscent to smell more Aftelier samples.
    Oh yes, good idea, N. Cal! I had somehow missed the fact that Mixerscent is going to be in Canada in mid-August. Well then, it makes sense for Purecaramel to send his samples on to Mixerscent since they will at least be in the same country. Then perhaps, before he leaves, Mixerscent could send them on back down to Diddy. RHM will be testing the samples next from the other CONUS group, and since caribbeanisland, the last on the list, hasn't been seen since, I think we will see if any other BNers want to join in if there is any perfume left after RHM's turn.

Has anyone been to The Aftel Archive of Curious Scents? I'm curious if Mandy sells some of her fragrances over there?

Oh yes, good idea, N. Cal! I had somehow missed the fact that Mixerscent is going to be in Canada in mid-August. Well then, it makes sense for Purecaramel to send his samples on to Mixerscent since they will at least be in the same country. Then perhaps, before he leaves, Mixerscent could send them on back down to Diddy. RHM will be testing the samples next from the other CONUS group, and since caribbeanisland, the last on the list, hasn't been seen since, I think we will see if any other BNers want to join in if there is any perfume left after RHM's turn.
    If this does work, Mixerscent could send off the samples to Diamondflame after.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Im having surgery tomorrow & will be in the hospital between 4-12 days. (I'm hoping eveything goes smoothly & I will not be there too long.) Afterwards, I'll be recovering at home. This is when I'll be sampling from the pass. Looking forward to it!
    It's that time of year again where my daughter asks; "Mom, why does the cat smell like Chamade?"

Basenotes Plus

Cepes and Tuberose

This one was the most intriguing for me. (An earthy tuberose?) I've worn it on three occasions now, and think I'm still smelling new things each time. That's a pretty good sign. My aversion to florals is quite pronounced (they smell good on other people), and especially so with the stronger flowers like Tuberose. This one is quite a bit softer than other more blaring takes on that floral, gradually morphing into one of those white flowers (Gardenia?) that I never know the name of. Quite sweet too, after the earthy opening. But not cloying, Pleasant.

Again, even though I thought I put a lot on one wrist, only to have it turn into a skin scent after a couple of hours. Something with a bit more bite, or a longer-lasting earthiness might have helped the longevity, but it might have also made it more challenging to wear. This one is really easy to wear and enjoy. That word again, pleasant.

----------------------

I'll be sending these off to purecaramel tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I've been chortling through the pee review.... thank you for the sparkling wit.

Here is a little gem for you.... one of my own pieces. Don't get too close.... lol. Note the holding of it with gloves on for good reason.

IMG_8053.jpg

That archive looks just like my own lab full of crazy tinctures... We're all bonkers.
    Mumsy, I swear I can smell that thing through my screen!

Scarce, thank so much for your reviews and agreeing to join in on this pass. I think it's fair to say that although these perfumes weren't quite your style, we all benefited from hearing about them from your unique point of view (i.e., "eeermm, don't really want to put anything flower-related on my skin but I'mma try it anyway)

RHM, good luck with surgery!!! Hope recovery is as smooth as can be, and please, only join in when you feel completely up to it. It will be interesting to get your read on Aftelier perfumes because I know that you are a longstanding fan of Neil Morris' work, and it will be interesting to see if there are any parallels, as far as you can see, between these two indie perfumers who are so beloved in America (albeit on opposite coasts). Is it possible for perfumes to have a West coast "flavor" to them, as opposed to an East coast one, I wonder?

Cestrum, you are a wonder and a pleasure to read, as always! Your review of Fig will probably prove to be one of the most memorable on this sample pass! As always, you write from the gut.

Basenotes Institution

I wore Curious today. Honestly it was very tame to me, in the long run. A clove-y, spicy opening that later turned green, slightly hand-rubbed leather (a bit like Tango as you mentioned Claire) and other sort of faint wood notes. I wore a healthy amount and still it's pretty much non-existent on my skin now (9 hrs later). Not one that really grabbed me, I must admit.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore Curious today. Honestly it was very tame to me, in the long run. A clove-y, spicy opening that later turned green, slightly hand-rubbed leather (a bit like Tango as you mentioned Claire) and other sort of faint wood notes. I wore a healthy amount and still it's pretty much non-existent on my skin now (9 hrs later). Not one that really grabbed me, I must admit.
    I wonder what it was the rubbed your boyfriend the wrong way, Mike? Did you ask him to say what the trouble was with this one?

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast