Code of Conduct

Default Ralph Lauren Safari for men

Hello i am interested in the current version of RL Safari for men, so please those who tried it or have it please let me know is it a quality fragrance (smells expensive) and what about projection and longevity?
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Safari for men

Quality- yes, very good, projection medium-high to high, longevity 6-8 hours at least (the latter two and in fact all three ratings being based on personal impressions)

Great fragrance, longevity is a bit lacking in my opinion at 6 hours with 4 sprays (I prefer a minimum of 8)

Cosmair vintage is more or less identical but will last an extra hour or two.
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!

In my opinion, it's a more masculine, more rugged, and IMO, superior version of the more well known Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Comparably, I think Safari has better projection and longevity as well. Safari is worthy of being a signature scent of a 35 year old. If I was stuck with this as my only fragrance, I would be more than happy to wear it daily. I think Safari (and Platinum Egoiste for that matter) is a fragrance that has positive mass-appeal. Most people will think they smell at least 'pleasant' and some will love it. I only know of a small number of people who said they dislike Platnium Egoiste on this forum and I consider the scent profile of that to be similar enough to Safari to comfortably say that Safari should be a safe scent.

I think you are contemplating a very good fragrance in Safari. It's one of my most liked scents and I'm very surprised more 'men' aren't wearing it. It deserves to be much more popular, but in a selfish sense, I'm glad it's not so that I can wear this stuff and enjoy it and not have people think it's 'typical'.

Just recently, I sampled a current version and it was pretty good. Haven't owned the original in years. I wish I would have kept it.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Personally don't care for it, but I didn't have a problem with longevity when I tried it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Love it.. and one of the nicest bottles ever. Performance is just ok on my skin. The first 2 hours are quite strong, then it dies off and becomes a skin scent for the next 4 hours.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Ok thanks for the info...i've read that it's similar to Cartier Pasha?

Really liked this throughout the 90's. Had a nice lively spice/sparkle to it. I'm not sure about the current juice. Seemed to have lost a bit of that sparkle, but in all fairness, I only smelled it from a card. Wouldn't mind skin testing it again someday.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by exploretoi View Post
    This is correct. I find them very similar; with more mint in the Pasha. I prefer Safari overall though.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I think you are contemplating a very good fragrance in Safari. It's one of my most liked scents and I'm very surprised more 'men' aren't wearing it. It deserves to be much more popular, but in a selfish sense, I'm glad it's not so that I can wear this stuff and enjoy it and not have people think it's 'typical'.
    Definitely. It's one of those hidden gem scents. I recently rediscovered it (it's my SOTD today as well), having worn it quite a lot on a holiday in 1995. Man I feel old now saying that!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by exploretoi View Post
    If you're interested in something similar, try Brooks Brothers Classic. I was gifted a EDT & aftershave set (which can be found at outlets for $40). IMO they copied Safari intentionally.

Always be smelling

Safari is similar to Pasha as others have pointed out.
    Now the interesting thing is current Pasha is as good as vintage and has better longevity.
    So if you crave vintage safari just get current Pasha ( can be had for under 30 bucks).
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    If you're interested in something similar, try Brooks Brothers Classic. I was gifted a EDT & aftershave set (which can be found at outlets for $40). IMO they copied Safari intentionally.
    Brooks Brothers Classic is not in the directory. Grant and Moderators, how 'bout some help here.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

Safari is more woody and louder than Pasha.

IMO, the vintage far outshines the current bottling. Owning both and having done side-by-side comparisons, the vintage not only has more depth, but performs much better.

For the money, I'd seek out a bottle of vintage Chevignon (whiskey flask bottle). This sits somewhere between Polo Crest and Safari and shouldn't run you more than $40.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

I second the recommendation for Chevignon for men. Can be had cheap and is the best cheap alternative to Polo Crest or Modern Reserve (though MR still takes the cake) as it can be had affordably. I wouldnt say it is similar to Safari in scent but it is similar in style.
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Quality- yes, very good, projection medium-high to high, longevity 6-8 hours at least (the latter two and in fact all three ratings being based on personal impressions)
    Ken Russell is always spot on. Agree. I own two bottles, one from the early 2000's and one I purchased in 2015. Nearly identical in performance. 2000 version is slightly more leathery. Agree that Pasha is a very similar fragrance and may be slightly higher quality than the current Ralph Lauren Safari.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Compare a bottle from the early 90's to one from the early 2000's and you're talking about two different fragrances. The vintage is head and shoulders above the 1st reformulation when oakmoss first became redtricted.

This was my "signature scent" from 1992-1995. I bought a bottle in 2003 and it lacked depth and character compared to my older bottles. The bottle was bought from a reputable source, so quality wasn't in question. This is what started my quest for vintage scents with the understanding that this scent, that was (and is) held so "near and dear" to me, had been significantly (and negatively) altered.

I'm not looking to ruffle feathers, but the differences from decade-to-decade are noticible with a side-by-side comparison. It's almost like comparing Dolce and Gabbana PH made in Italy vs Made in Germany vs Made in the U.K. All three are different, and the changes made along the way weren't for the better. The difference(s)? Depth and quality of ingredients used.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    IMO, the vintage far outshines the current bottling. Owning both and having done side-by-side comparisons, the vintage not only has more depth, but performs much better.

For the money, I'd seek out a bottle of vintage Chevignon (whiskey flask bottle). This sits somewhere between Polo Crest and Safari and shouldn't run you more than $40.
    Chevignon is great scent!

Don't like the scent but again I'm not a fan of lavender. I prefer Aramis for leather musk. Performance was good.

Yes I have heard this....NICEstuff
    My updated top ten, in no particular order:
    Bentley Intense
    Cosmair Polo Green
    Green Irish Tweed
    Calvin(original blue)
    L'Occitane Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb/Lomani Body and Soul(tie)
    Hanae Mori HiM EDP
    Pure Havane
    Dunhill Icon
    Halston Man Amber

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    I second the recommendation for Chevignon for men. Can be had cheap and is the best cheap alternative to Polo Crest or Modern Reserve (though MR still takes the cake) as it can be had affordably. I wouldnt say it is similar to Safari in scent but it is similar in style.
    Additionally seconding Chevignon Brand as an alternative and also inexpensive but good quality choice, as well as the Polo Crest similarity.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For the money, I'd seek out a bottle of vintage Chevignon (whiskey flask bottle).
    Love this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    +3! I really did not like current version of Safari (it had an off note for me) and LOVE Chevignon for men of which I own an (already empty) 50ml and a 100ml bottle.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

The Chevignon for Men sounds pretty interesting.
    Last edited by MattJP; 1st February 2017 at 09:41 PM.
    Currently wearing: Halston Man by Halston