Code of Conduct

Default List of Lip Safe Raw Materials

Hello everyone,

I want to make a lip balm fragrance, and from what I know I believe this would be Category 1 in IFRA. Is there an easy-to-find/reasonably up to date list of materials that are acceptable to use? I know the palette is extremely limited for this type of fragrance. Thanks for your advice!
    Currently wearing: Rush by Gucci

Default Re: List of Lip Safe Raw Materials

Very limited and difficult to find. All ingredients need to be safe for Flavour use as well. If you want to trawl through IFRA you will find what you want, but it will take a long time. I have no idea where to look, but there must be a list of Flavour approved ingredients which you can then check with IFRA.

I'm really interested too, as I made lipcare stick a few days ago, and I didn't flavoured it. But I wanted it to be safe (but IFRA approval seems sometimes strange and very restrictive, too much)

I have spent some time trying to find the answer to your question. I Googled any number of varieties of "A list of Class 1 IFRA approved ingredients", with no success. I really hate the IFRA site, it is so unfriendly. May I suggest you try to find lists of Flavour ingredients (most fragrance houses such as IFF and Givaudan supply Flavour ingredients too) and then cross check with IFRA . This category is the most restrictive, and rightly so.

Thanks, that's a really good idea! My understanding is that it's extremely limited--only like 300 or so materials allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren O View Post
    Thanks, that's a really good idea! My understanding is that it's extremely limited--only like 300 or so materials allowed.
    If that.

When you have looked up the Flavour ingredients from IFF, Givaudan, Symrise, Firmenich etc., plus any Essential oils you may be interested in, plus things you know are OK for Flavours (such as Peppermint and the other ingredients listed on toothpaste etc.) it would be easier to write out a simple formulation then check each ingredient against the IFRA recommendations. Time consuming, I know, but I cannot see an easier way. Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

I'll try that out. Was interested mainly in making some floral accords--especially a candied violet. I'll check out stuff like methyl ionone, ethyl maltol, rasp ketone and anisic materials. Should be a good start I hope?

I won't let it lie. As you are from the States you may like to look at the FDA web site (Food and Drug Administration) for a list of approved ingredients. Also you could check out a book called "Soap and Cosmetic Labeling" by Marie Gale. Apparently it is mainly concerned with soap but other cosmetics are included. Can't hurt.