Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Smelled on the Street

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Geez, I envy all those sure shots above. I get some whiffs of scents on the street sometimes, but they can be anything, it's just musky stuff, woody stuff, sport stuff. It's all too quick and too vague to get a precise idea.
    That's what happens most of the time, which is why it's so shocking to recognize, or think one I recognize something. What I mainly smell are calone bomb aquatics and women with a clean patchouli scent of some kind, or something fruity floral that I don't recognize at all.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I wish I had a better nose for picking colognes out of a crowd. I guess that comes with time and experience.

I'm sure we can all agree that the easiest ones to distinguish or 'pick out' are generally the huge crowd pleasers. For one, we smell them more often than niche ones and thus are more familiar with their unique smell. These also generally contain more synthetic ingredients so they can maintain their signature scent despite being exposed to air, open spaces and the combined smells of other people, products etc...

Yes, I'm thinking about 1 Million, Le Male, Armani Code, The One, Bleu de Chanel, Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce, Sauvage, and Acqua Di Gio just to name just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNosePlays View Post
    I wish I had a better nose for picking colognes out of a crowd. I guess that comes with time and experience.

I'm sure we can all agree that the easiest ones to distinguish or 'pick out' are generally the huge crowd pleasers. For one, we smell them more often than niche ones and thus are more familiar with their unique smell. These also generally contain more synthetic ingredients so they can maintain their signature scent despite being exposed to air, open spaces and the combined smells of other people, products etc...

Yes, I'm thinking about 1 Million, Le Male, Armani Code, The One, Bleu de Chanel, Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce, Sauvage, and Acqua Di Gio just to name just a few.

It's ironic how most mainstream crowdpleasers are often considered impersonal and generic, and yet they're the ones which pop up more frequently in this type of threads. If they're so easily recognizable, that means they aren't that generic after all

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Smelled Terre D'Hermes as someone walked by the hall at the office yesterday. Can't really put my finger on many fragrances I catch wafts of, but good ole TdH is a true exception.

Also smelled Polo (classic) on my boss the other day. Nice to smell that in public...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    It's ironic how most mainstream crowdpleasers are often considered impersonal and generic, and yet they're the ones which pop up more frequently in this type of threads. If they're so easily recognizable, that means they aren't that generic after all
    Mind = Blown

Great point, I guess their uniqueness is why they're so good and thus popular. "Generic" is a word I should probably wipe from my fragrance vocabulary.

The power of bleu

I smelled Gaultier Classique on one of the doctor's medical assistant. She came in the cath lab to have him sign some papers and she was in a huge cloud of Classique. She was pretty surprised I recognized it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I smelled Puredistance White on a gal working out at the gym. I asked her if that was what she was wearing and her jaw dropped to the ground, along with mine. A lucky guess for sure.

Basenotes Plus

I regularly smell Angel, Aromatics Elixir, Coco Mademoiselle, and Chance when I am out and about. Oh! Aramis, too.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I could have sworn I smelled Kouros on the guy next to me at the urinal in the bathroom yesterday. then again, i could have been smelling something else...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yesterday Le Male by one of my employees in my firm.
    Just curious hednic, what do you do? What industry are you in?

A few years ago I smelled something similar to royal mayfair. I couldn't place it. I dont know if it was RM. It may have been a woman's scent that was similar, and would love to know what scent could be similar to RM!

My blind spot is women's scents, as I know so much about men's frags but zero to little on women's.

I smelled Vero Rubj wafting by me at the ballet last night. That was a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I hope you fired them
    loooooooooool

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Also I keep smelling Vetiver at work. I think it's an oil.
    Me too. But I'm guessing it's more likely to be a beauty product or cream of some sort. Purely on the basis of probability, no other reason for assuming this.

Most recently in London:

- Guerlain Vetiver, on just about every other female that walks past me at work. Surprised at this as I thought it's mostly men that wear it. But I do see it as completely unisex though.

- Dior Sauvage easily the most common smell on men these days. It really is a hit for Dior. They must be raking it in lately...

- Aramis classic. On an older chap at the weekend in a supermarket. Smells wonderful to this day.

Around here, it's Acqua di Gio, Le Male, Sauvage, and 1 Million that dominate the air.

The only niche that I smell with any regularity is Aventus.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle in our reception area all day today, one of the reception girls must be wearing it, which isn't a bad this as I love the smell of it!!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

For some reason, I just don't pick up on much. I can pick up on Angel on ladies and some jasmine heavy perfumes, but I don't sense much else that I can identify. Sauvage and AdGio have been noted on a couple of fellas lately. I asked guy recently what he had on because it smelled so good and that was old school Pi. Perhaps its because I am often in the field and visiting hospitals for work. They tend to be light on fragrances in those settings. I have been sniffing a little closer on those I meet up with who are a bit more polished to see what I can pick out...
    Suffering is not holding you. You are holding suffering. When you become good at the art of letting sufferings go, then you’ll come to realize how unnecessary it was for you to drag those burdens around with you. You’ll see that no one else other than you was responsible. The truth is that existence wants your life to become a festival, because when you are unhappy, you also throw unhappiness all around. -Osho
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Coco Mademoiselle on any 20-30 something woman is a good chance, Chanel No. 5 by an older woman that works at the supermarket.
    On men, mostly aquatics, AdG and Nautica Voyage.
    Nothing interesting around here, I guess I fill that void for the area.
    I've gotten the stank eye a few times wearing pretty unassuming stuff (Eau Sauvage Parfum once), and they get the "yeah? and?" face in return.
    Perfumery in the mainstream has gotten so one track, "dont offend me", "It better not be interesting, but pleasing".
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Allure Homme Sport or any sibling yesterday at work. Cologne des Missions some weeks ago at work too. Does work count? I didn't know any of these people.

On the street I often feel Angel and La Vie Est Belle.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I was taking a walk in the streets and (surprisingly) went past two people smelling great! I hardly ever come across anyone wearing perfume here in Cleveland, so this was a total revelation. The first was a guy about my age, he smelled fab and really intriguing - something like a combination of vintage Armani Eau Pour Homme and vintage Versace L'Homme. The first reaction in my brain was that I have to get a bottle of vintage L'Homme that has been becoming an itch over the last 2-3 weeks. The next was a lady dressed in black and wearing something that smelled like a Tom Ford oud. Not uncommon - I've smelled this a lot on women in Moscow airport, but very much out of the ordinary around these parts. In each case I was walking in the opposite direction to them and didn't get a chance to compliment them, unfortunately.

The last time was in my office cafeteria when I came across this lady smelling great. I complimented her and we had a mini perfume chat, turns out she was wearing Coco Mademoiselle. That was surprising, as Coco Mademoiselle always smelled good to me on paper but never great as it smelled on her. I also suggested her to try some of the perfumes from Malle, including Noir Epices and Une Fleur de Cassie.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 23rd February 2017 at 03:14 PM.

Was on the campus of the university where I lecture and a student (in a fraternity sweatshirt) walked by and was wearing Sauvage. Not a fan, but it smelled okay on him.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Just met a lady in the office elevator who smelled quite nice....complimented her and turns out she was wearing Clinique Happy - I'm sure it's the one for women? I've tried the one for men - that one smells different and also not that interesting.

Banned

My doctor's receptionist slid her window open, and a giant cloud of Flowerbomb emerged.

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    My doctor's receptionist slid her window open, and a giant cloud of Flowerbomb emerged.
    Sheesh, if you didn't need to see a doctor before...

A lady came into my office wearing Coco - she is an octogenarian and it smelled great on her. I have a bottle of vintage Coco extrait and reserve it for nighttime at home.

Alien on a coworker the other day
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I was taking a walk in the streets and (surprisingly) went past two people smelling great! I hardly ever come across anyone wearing perfume here in Cleveland, so this was a total revelation. The first was a guy about my age, he smelled fab and really intriguing - something like a combination of vintage Armani Eau Pour Homme and vintage Versace L'Homme. The first reaction in my brain was that I have to get a bottle of vintage L'Homme that has been becoming an itch over the last 2-3 weeks. The next was a lady dressed in black and wearing something that smelled like a Tom Ford oud. Not uncommon - I've smelled this a lot on women in Moscow airport, but very much out of the ordinary around these parts. In each case I was walking in the opposite direction to them and didn't get a chance to compliment them, unfortunately.

The last time was in my office cafeteria when I came across this lady smelling great. I complimented her and we had a mini perfume chat, turns out she was wearing Coco Mademoiselle. That was surprising, as Coco Mademoiselle always smelled good to me on paper but never great as it smelled on her. I also suggested her to try some of the perfumes from Malle, including Noir Epices and Une Fleur de Cassie.
    I admire your ability to compliment a stranger. I'd like to do that more.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

The receptionnist at our offices wears Angel. It is strong... She has been overtaken by the building receptionnist though (a man) who probably empties a bottle of something oudy-woody in the morning. It should kill mosquitoes come summer.
    The woman next to me in the train wore a nice fresh scent. She alway smells nice even in the evening (she is a fellow commuter btw). She used to wear Eau des Merveilles so I suspect it is Hermes, Le jardin de Monsieur Li maybe.
    Last edited by Parfum de peau; 16th March 2017 at 06:38 PM.
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

User of Toilet Water

I could have sworn I smelled Interlude Man on someone at the airport. I also discovered Middle Easterners aren't shy when it comes to perfume. Refreshing!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast