Code of Conduct

Default What Is Your Take On Paloma Picasso Minotaure?

Greetings,

Initially I was interested in Nicole Miller For Men, but have been repeatedly told that the reformulation is awful and it lasts like 30 minutes on the skin.

According to Fragantica, Minotaure is listed as a very similar cologne and people mention Nicole Miller For Men in reviews, so I wanted to get some feedback on Minotaure from you awesome people.

I can get it for cheap, so is it worth checking out?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What Is Your Take On Paloma Picasso Minotaure?

I have tried it on two occasions and personally wasn't for me. Just my experience.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Well the two aren't especially similar but I'd go for vintage in either case. If you have patience that might be possible at reasonable prices on ebay. If not, I'd buy the NM because prices are super low, check out ScentedMonkey, unless they sold out. It's still a good scent and at those prices just decant and spray again whenever you feel it's worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well the two aren't especially similar but I'd go for vintage in either case. If you have patience that might be possible at reasonable prices on ebay. If not, I'd buy the NM because prices are super low, check out ScentedMonkey, unless they sold out. It's still a good scent and at those prices just decant and spray again whenever you feel it's worthwhile.
    Are you saying the reformulated NM is still a good scent if I can't find the vintage or don't want to pay vintage prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    Are you saying the reformulated NM is still a good scent if I can't find the vintage or don't want to pay vintage prices?
    Well, I have only tried original Minotaure, so the reformulation might be good (though reviews suggest otherwise to me). The newest NM still smells like the original, but it's not as strong nor quite as complex. Using more sprays might be good enough, but only you can decide. The price is laughably low, though, so I blind bought a bottle despite not "needing" it because I have the original.

Well, I have only tried original Minotaure, so the reformulation might be good (though reviews suggest otherwise to me). The newest NM still smells like the original, but it's not as strong nor quite as complex. Using more sprays might be good enough, but only you can decide. The price is laughably low, though, so I blind bought a bottle despite not "needing" it because I have the original.
    I can get NM for 20 bucks in Canada, but I am someone that needs a little longevity even at that price. Are the 30 minutes and then it's gone claim from reviews that I have read hyperbole?

Not in my experience. It's just never that strong to begin with. At that price, why not go to Crystal Flacon and buy some samples? I got my 75 ml NM EdT for less than $4, by contrast.

Not in my experience. It's just never that strong to begin with. At that price, why not go to Crystal Flacon and buy some samples? I got my 75 ml NM EdT for less than $4, by contrast.
    I don't know why, but I am not a samples kind of person unless I can walk into a store and test it there. I actually like to blind buy once I am convinced after doing some research that it's probably something that I will like. Plus it helps that I can exchange if I don't like something.
    Last edited by Hey Man; 13th February 2017 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I don't know why, but I am not a samples kind of person unless I can walk into a store and test it there. I actually like to blind buy once I am convinced after doing some research that it's probably something that I will like. Plus it helps that I can exchange if I don't like something.
    If you can keep exchanging until you find something you like, then that might be a way to go. I can't get to B&M stores these days easily, so that's not really an option for me; I mostly have to buy online. However, for higher prices, I'd probably have patience and try for vintage Minotaure or NM on ebay anyway.

a few years ago I had a couple of 1ml sample vials and vintage mini splash - they were great, then I ordered a full bottle of the newer formula and it was harsh, thin & missing the richness of the original, completely. I ended up getting a refund.
    Last edited by Hothamwater; 13th February 2017 at 03:44 AM.

Ah yes, Minotaure. David Bowie's alleged favorite, wasn't it?

I like it, but I have also only smelled the original version. Look for the Cosmair version. These are relatively easy to find on eBay and are not that expensive. Mine has a bronze colored cap with a dark ring on the base.

Although I like Minotaure, I learned to use only 1-2 sprays of it as it can easily become quite cloying and too much. In minimal amounts, I think it's nice, although I admit I rarely reach for it now. I enjoy it more in cooler weather.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 13th February 2017 at 04:41 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Liked it in its version closer to its first release (probably vintage by now) enough to consider a full bottle purchase of it, completely uninformed about how it is now.

Other than that, might (strictly personally, with no pretense of accuracy) describe it as a both fresher and also more sophisticated version of Roma Uomo, a certain grapefruit powderyiness done amazingly right, with hints of a powerhouse and even a classic fougere with more citrus and more restrained, without being idiotically watered down to a generic sporty scent.
    Also with a certain woodiness remotely anticipating Hermes TDH, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver and Yardley Citrus&Wood, but with much less of a vetyver and patchouli-woody-leather combo towards the end.

Would probably recommend getting it, not so much and not only if it is affordable but also if the current formulation is minimally different from or identical to the first personal testing experiences with this one in the late 90s.

^Minotaure has definitely changed significantly, and is no longer worth buying, unless it's the Cosmair formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Hothamwater View Post
    ^Minotaure has definitely changed significantly, and is no longer worth buying, unless it's the Cosmair formula.
    Thanks for the info, will indeed have to catch up on some retesting