Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boucheron Homme question

Hi all I am thinking about buying Boucheron homme blind. I don't know if to get edt or the edp. Can you tell me about the current state of this fragrance?
    I love old school citruses like eau sauvage and YSL concentree ( these are my two favorites). I can imagine the beginning of this fragrance but I have no idea how it smells after the citrus.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Default Re: Boucheron Homme question

Like both but prefer and thus likelier to personally recommend the EDP.
    For an insignificant additional price difference, the EDP follows/takes up some of the pattern of traditional citrus scents like indeed Eau Sauvage and YSL PH Concentree, but with an added hints of leather while drying down (not very different from Eau Sauvage Parfum and even Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir).

Always be smelling

I have vintage EDP and it is a must in every collection.
    I think it is much better than Eau Sauvage and YSL haute.

After citrus you get soapy,spicy Sandalwoody goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Like both but prefer and thus likelier to personally recommend the EDP.
    For an insignificant additional price difference, the EDP follows/takes up some of the pattern of traditional citrus scents like indeed Eau Sauvage and YSL PH Concentree, but with an added hints of leather while drying down (not very different from Eau Sauvage Parfum and even Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir).
    Thank you for a great answer Ken, I am actually always looking for a fragrance to mimic what YSL ph concentree used to do. I find the concentree version one of the best of all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    Thank you for a great answer Ken, I am actually always looking for a fragrance to mimic what YSL ph concentree used to do. I find the concentree version one of the best of all times.
    Try and find Eau Sauvage Extreme - it has been tweaked again, but I picked up a magnetic-top bottle of the 2010 edition (according to the BN directory). Very close to the YSL PH Concentree IMHO.

Wish I could find the EDP Boucheron in vintage format...!!
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Try and find Eau Sauvage Extreme - it has been tweaked again, but I picked up a magnetic-top bottle of the 2010 edition (according to the BN directory). Very close to the YSL PH Concentree IMHO.

Wish I could find the EDP Boucheron in vintage format...!!
    Thank you man Appreciate the help

Basenotes Plus

I bought the Bouchard EDT blind and hated it. I like old school scents but this was musty and claustrophobizing (my word).

I had a similar reaction to Bleinham Boquet, so if you like that one maybe you'll like Boucheron.
    Last edited by DanHD; 17th February 2017 at 03:18 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Of the two, also prefer the EDP - richer and more full-bodied.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've had a bottle of the EDT for 3-4 years now and I love it. Classic, elegant, very French and smells expensive and wonderful. I especially love this on warm evenings where it really works its magic. I've smelled the EDP, which is great also, but love the EDT for its lighter touch. I still get great longevity and perfect projection with the EDT - it smells better the more it dries down. I've the matching hair/bodywash also which is well worth picking up if you ever see it.

I would think you'd find either the EDT or EDP more than satisfactory. If you like Eau Sauvage & YSL Pour Homme I can't imagine you wouldn't love this. The opening citrus is wonderful and the creamy, rich sandalwood with its oakmoss and vetiver underpinnings that follows is simply stunning. Wear it on a warm summer evening and you'll feel the magic...!

Hello!

I've been wearing Boucheron Pour Homme since it was launched and always found this to be a really well constructed fragrance. In regular edt strength, it's much sharper and stronger than both Eau Sauvage and YSL Pour Homme. A bit more formal if you will. The edp is actually softer around the edges, but do go easy on application since Boucheron can be a monster if overapplied.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I bought the Bouchard EDT blind and hated it. I like old school scents but this was musty and claustrophobizing (my word).

I had a similar reaction to Bleinham Boquet, so if you like that one maybe you'll like Boucheron.
    Ok, no you got me scared, I hated Bleinham Bouqet from Penhaligon's it starts nice with the lemon but goes in a very sharp screechy territory.
    Anybody care to comment about the similarities?

Always be smelling

Ok, no you got me scared, I hated Bleinham Bouqet from Penhaligon's it starts nice with the lemon but goes in a very sharp screechy territory.
    None between current offering from Penhaligon and vintage Boucheron.

How do you've feel about Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Tiffany for Men, Coriolan by Guerlain and Le 3 Homme de Caron? These would perhaps be the closest relations to Boucheron Pour Homme...

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    None between current offering from Penhaligon and vintage Boucheron.

The problem is that I can't get the vintage as I said in the first post

Quote Originally Posted by Poppinj View Post
    How do you've feel about Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Tiffany for Men, Coriolan by Guerlain and Le 3 Homme de Caron? These would perhaps be the closest relations to Boucheron Pour Homme...
    Chanel PMC I liked in the vintage version, Tiffany for men nad Guerlain never tried....... Caron 3rd man I like

If you're in it for the citrus, I don't think I'd suggest Boucheron Homme in the first place. After a brief and (to me) not that inspiring citrus opening, it's more of a sweet vanilla-floral to me.

I agree it's somewhat close to Third Man, but that's more of a sweetened floral fougere, where the sweetness is nicely balaced by lavender. Boucheron is much heavier and more floral-oriental - and a little much for me.

I'd suggest Monsieur de Givenchy, based on your YSL PH and Eau Sauvage references.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th February 2017 at 06:49 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

I don't find them similar. I used to like Boucheron pour homme before, but not anymore. I think it's a bit sharp and not so well blended. I prefer Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet and Douro.

I have about a half bottle remaining of the Boucheron Pour Homme EDP that I purchased about 15 years ago. I bought several bottles because I liked it so much. Now that I'm collecting, I seldom use it but when I do, it becomes my favorite again.

With only 50ml left in my old bottle, I recently decided to buy a new bottle of the EDP.

The new bottle I got was horrible. Not even close imo to the original. It definitely is not the same fragrance as it was. I tried wearing it a few times to make sure I wasn't wrong about it. I finally threw it in the trash. It was that bad. Luckily it wasn't expensive at Fragrancenet.

My old stuff still smells terrific and makes me wish I could buy it again.

Always be smelling

The problem is that I can't get the vintage as I said in the first post
    Then don't bother. Vintage is the way to go for this one

Apart from a certain dry citrus-chypre note, no or little similarity whatsoever between the two (knowing, loving, owning and more or less regularly wearing both) and even this very note is differently used, of different strength, takes different directions and levels of complexity, becomes part of different scent structures in these two.
    While a minimal similarity can be noticed, with a huge effort of imagination and focus, the differences between the two are far too significant rather than any resemblance.

Thank you for an in-depth analysis everyone

...for me the EdP version is one of the nicest citrus scents I know...!
    Currently wearing: Honour Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Default Boucheron Homme question

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    If you're in it for the citrus, I don't think I'd suggest Boucheron Homme in the first place. After a brief and (to me) not that inspiring citrus opening, it's more of a sweet vanilla-floral to me.

I agree it's somewhat close to Third Man, but that's more of a sweetened floral fougere, where the sweetness is nicely balaced by lavender. Boucheron is much heavier and more floral-oriental - and a little much for me.

I'd suggest Monsieur de Givenchy, based on your YSL PH and Eau Sauvage references.
    +1 Monsieur de Givenchy. Nice citrus, simple, but with an interesting touch. Along the lines of Chanel Pour Monsieur.

I find that Cerutti 1881 PH reminds me of Boucheron. I had Boucheron edt and edp and preferred the edp. I even received a few compliments on the edp from female friends who don't like fragrance in particular. It's been a while since but I recall them saying it smelled clean and fresh and they liked it because it wasn't heavy or intrusive smelling.

As noted, vintage is the way to go with this one.

I love the EDP, but it's a "fusty" fragrance. I don't find it all that versatile, but when I need a prim-and-proper citrus with some heft on a cool spring day, this usually gets the nod.

As a matter of fact, this was my Easter SOTD a couple of years ago.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

One of the few instances where I find that the EDP is more easy going and lighter to wear than the EDT.

To me, while the EDT is impressive, it is a bit too tough and musty for me to wear. It has been a couple of years since I last sampled it. I love that it is in production. But not something I could wear. As mentioned above, musty ( and fusty). Wear this with your favorite monocle, top hat, or the latest Corleone family business meeting. Nothing like the Corleone's, but I can see Anthony Hopkins or really any dapper gentleman wearing this ( from western Europe).

I like the EDP. Seems to be similar to Cerruti 1881. Not the same, but somewhat alike. Well made, I gotta break out my sample again perhaps.

Boucheron has shown in can make some very solid fragrances. I wish they would put more out often and ones that are easily available to someone in the general public who wants to smell good.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 21st February 2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: mistake. EDP smells like Cerruti 1881, not EDT.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've only ever owned the Parfum in the modern version. I know family that swear by the EdT - it seems more popular than I know. I have to do some digging to find the vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I find that Cerutti 1881 PH reminds me of Boucheron. I had Boucheron edt and edp and preferred the edp. I even received a few compliments on the edp from female friends who don't like fragrance in particular. It's been a while since but I recall them saying it smelled clean and fresh and they liked it because it wasn't heavy or intrusive smelling.
    I find this too. I am totally anosmic to the musks in both of them though, which is a shame. To me the Boucheron is a bit more classy, but 1881 isn't half bad by any means. The latter IMHO has been sort of ruined by reformulations. The lack of oakmoss is quite obvious in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    As noted, vintage is the way to go with this one.

I love the EDP, but it's a "fusty" fragrance. I don't find it all that versatile, but when I need a prim-and-proper citrus with some heft on a cool spring day, this usually gets the nod.

As a matter of fact, this was my Easter SOTD a couple of years ago.
    I've just bumped an old(ish) thread in the vintage forum regarding Boucheron which might shed some light on the vintage bottles. Thought I'd mention that on this thread here as well, in case it's of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I've only ever owned the Parfum in the modern version. I know family that swear by the EdT - it seems more popular than I know. I have to do some digging to find the vintage
    What do you think of the modern edp?