Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
o

Default Re: Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme is really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Anyways, I saw that Big Lots was selling an "Our Version of Gucci Guilty Absolute."
    Doesn't that mean it's doing okay if companies are making off brand versions of it? Or do they do that for any new release?
    Well considering there are Preferred Frag's "versions" of Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Polo Supreme Oud and Supreme Leather, it doesn't surprise me one bit!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Is that what it is?
    I personally wouldn't have thought that, since I don't notice ANYONE in real life wearing it or talking about it.

For me, I had two different SAs tell me it was discontinued.
    I've found out that often times that simply means they don't carry it and simply want you to buy something else.

Anyways, I saw that Big Lots was selling an "Our Version of Gucci Guilty Absolute."
    Doesn't that mean it's doing okay if companies are making off brand versions of it? Or do they do that for any new release?
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, but since text poorly conveys levity without onamonapea, here we go: "hahahahahaha"

That should be enough reassurance for a stranger on the Internet. Good day.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Smell Good, Feel Good

Just tried this at Sephora. Very leathery...convinced me to look into purchasing. It's quite daring IMO, but I think I can pull it off.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour...you’re gonna see some serious s***. ~ Dr. Emmett Brown, “Back To The Future”

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'm just laughing that people are still screaming about (non-existent) impending discontinuation almost as if they aren't allowed to like GGA until it's a rare pricey "misunderstood" showpiece
    ... The Basenotes Way

Tis the way its always been with loads of scents and will be but don't say it too loud otherwise you'll upset the fragrantory hipsters that congregate here and are just waiting for the moment that someone asks them why they smell like an elderly male yak has urinated on them so they can say "This? Oh, its been discontinued so you can't buy it..."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    ... The Basenotes Way

...waiting for the moment that someone asks them why they smell like an elderly male yak has urinated on them so they can say "This? Oh, its been discontinued so you can't buy it..."
    Too Damn funny Palmolive!

Basenotes Plus

Saw this at the local Sephora in the Midwest.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

... The Basenotes Way

Tis the way its always been with loads of scents and will be but don't say it too loud otherwise you'll upset the fragrantory hipsters that congregate here and are just waiting for the moment that someone asks them why they smell like an elderly male yak has urinated on them so they can say "This? Oh, its been discontinued so you can't buy it..."
    My new best friend right here. I'd love to buy you a beer, just no basement nanobrewery hipster IPA crap. I like hops, but I also like barley and a nice malt backbone to my ales.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    Too Damn funny Palmolive!
    He's tough on grease, but soft on hands.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

*takes a bow*

Telling y'all, I've noticed this trait again and again with so many scents on here that its unreal. It seems the harder something is to find the greater it smells to a certain group, even if they never gave a toss about it when it was being cleared out in bargain bins for 10 bucks but once its gone through the old discontinued>youtube hype>eBay scalpers cycle and is now back on the block at a few hundred percent markup it becomes a "grail" that all the simple minded peasants weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the first time round and yet (amusingly) if one peruses the posts history of these waxed mustache, nanobrew sipping, fixie riding oh so cool members you'd nary find a whisper of said fragrance before they were told what to think...

Strange days indeed.

Basenotes Plus

*takes a bow*

Telling y'all, I've noticed this trait again and again with so many scents on here that its unreal. It seems the harder something is to find the greater it smells to a certain group, even if they never gave a toss about it when it was being cleared out in bargain bins for 10 bucks but once its gone through the old discontinued>youtube hype>eBay scalpers cycle and is now back on the block at a few hundred percent markup it becomes a "grail" that all the simple minded peasants weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the first time round and yet (amusingly) if one peruses the posts history of these waxed mustache, nanobrew sipping, fixie riding oh so cool members you'd nary find a whisper of said fragrance before they were told what to think...

Strange days indeed.
    The other reaction, almost as soon as it was released:

"That's really good...It came from a designer?!...Jeez, how long before they discontinue it?"

Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Yeah, this is a great fragrance.
    I can see why some people might not think it's "good" because it's the polar opposite of stuff like Bleu or Sauvage, or any other modern sweet.
    I'm very impressed by it. It's the only cologne that really stands out at Macy's.
    Whoever made the previous threads about it being an underrated gem, thanks, because if I hadn't read those I never would have tried it out.
    Polar opposite, I'm in.
    Waiting for a Monday arrival!

I remember the first couple times I sampled this and I was so entranced with it. I loved it but it was such a bizarre scent from what I was use to.

I decided to go to some random site called Basenotes and read up on what other people thought. I remember thinking, ok, there's got to be other people out there who enjoy this as much as I do.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I used to compare this to Fahrenheit while thinking that the Dior was better. I'm starting to prefer GGA. It's less busy, and a more simplified leather fragrance. I feel this really is a masterpiece. I hardly wear it, but it's easily in the top 3 of my collection:

Awesome

Looking forward to Monday even more!

Basenotes Plus

I like it a lot. I think ive burned like 30 ml so far or something. It has great charector. I wish there was some type of developement. This and TF Noir Anthracite remind me of each other. They do not smell alike. But they both have a masculine throwback appeal, in a stripped down linear manor.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I like it a lot. I think ive burned like 30 ml so far or something. It has great charector. I wish there was some type of developement. This and TF Noir Anthracite remind me of each other. They do not smell alike. But they both have a masculine throwback appeal, in a stripped down linear manor.
    Good info

This and TF Noir Anthracite remind me of each other. They do not smell alike. But they both have a masculine throwback appeal, in a stripped down linear manor.
    I can totally see that - both fragrances that I own and love. They share a kind of brash, aggressive, very dry macho character, but not musk-soaked manliness nor ambroxan-fueled woody dryness.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I can totally see that - both fragrances that I own and love. They share a kind of brash, aggressive, very dry macho character, but not musk-soaked manliness nor ambroxan-fueled woody dryness.
    Absolutely. Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense completed the trifecta, and they all came out around the same time.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Absolutely. Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense completed the trifecta, and they all came out around the same time.
    I can see that. It does remind me of GGAs style. Like an aromatic, a leather, and an animalic fragrance all in similar premise.

I'll need to try Oud Wood Intense. I think I tried it back in the fall but I don't remember it standing out with me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Of the 3 I think Gucci has the best presentation by far. The whiskey flask thing perfectly fits. The slightly ovoid cap, clicks into place. Its nice. OWI is just blah, same old TF, Anthracite def fits the theme of the fragrance, but the bottle is just so glossy. I prefer the bottles of the edp and edt to this one. The cap could use a little more weight, and no TFs click, so. GGA, winner.

I wore this on Saturday and it was decidedly "meh". Some days the SOTD just doesn't click.

I'm also a fan of TF Noir Anthracite, though I don't own a bottle (yet). Now you mention it, I see the similarity of approach with GGA. Not tried TF OWI.
    February theme : wax, dust, powder, and resins . FBs : Piguet Casbah; CdG Avignon, Etro Heliotrope; Etro Ambra; Lalique Encre Noire . Samples : Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tauer LADDM/ACDD; Tom Daxon Iridium; Papillon Angelique; Dior DHI; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Knize Forest; Piguet Futur; Molinard Habanita