Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Skinny jeans. Yes or no?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

23 38.98%
  • No!

36 61.02%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Skinny jeans. Yes or no?

Went to some malls in the past two weeks searching for some good looking jeans and guess what? All the ones I liked were skinny!!! I can say more than 90% of what I saw was skinny.
    I can't handle jeans sticked to my legs. They are thick, specially my calves and pants sticked to them do annoy me.
    What's up with people liking it?
    Personally they are a big no to me. I think like I'm gonna turn inside out. I can't hardly wait for this trend to get over.
    How about you? Do people around you like it? How do you like it?
    Last edited by Beck; 21st March 2017 at 01:38 AM.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bśzios Brasil

Default Re: Skinny jeans. Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    How about you? Do people around you like it?
    No one close to me likes them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I was so mad about it that I entered all the stores saying promptly: I am searching for no-skinny jeans! The SAs looked at me like if they were saying:"You don't like skinny pants?! How can that be?" And I looked at them like "You like skinny jeans?! Tell me about it!".
    The world is skinny nowadays! We gotta be prepared.

I think that it's because we're all seeking for a better fit and unless you taper your jeans, then sometimes skinny jeans are your closest bet to having jeans that don't sag. In saying that, I always prefer a slim pair of jeans so that my thighs and calves don't look like some weird sausage

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Voted no

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R.ay View Post
    I think that it's because we're all seeking for a better fit and unless you taper your jeans, then sometimes skinny jeans are your closest bet to having jeans that don't sag. In saying that, I always prefer a slim pair of jeans so that my thighs and calves don't look like some weird sausage

True. I'm always searching for a good fit, but I used to find it in regular fit jeans. Now there's a skinny dictatorship, like if everyone wears it. I like nothing too large or too fit.
    Slim is more "skinny" than skinny, right?

True. I'm always searching for a good fit, but I used to find it in regular fit jeans. Now there's a skinny dictatorship, like if everyone wears it. I like nothing too large or too fit.
    Slim is more "skinny" than skinny, right?
    Well unfortunately - based on no empirical evidence whatsoever - I feel that designers are forced into catering for a generally more heavy-set population nowadays. That means that regular fit is probably not very regular anymore.

I'm not too sure if that's the case of where you are but where I normally shop, it's loose>regular>fitted>slim>skinny.

If you look at old westerns or leading men in movies... you notice clean silhouettes. There are literally half a dozen types of skinny jeans. Skim, Super Slim, Skinny, and Super Skinny... Most European designers use clean cuts in their button downs, sport coats, and denim. If you are not fit, or athletic, you can always try to find a 'relaxed fit' jean which still exists btw.

Myself? I happen to like the clean look that skinny jeans affords someone with a lean body type. I'm not skinny by any stretch (5'8" / 170 lbs) but slimmer arm holes in shirts and sport coats along with trim jeans.??? It's a good look. Most of my Italian sport coats look exponentially better than anything else made by JCrew or Banana, which are tailored for the American markets. Slim jeans and a nice pair of chelsea boots. Great look IMHO.
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

Your question is very general... depends i wear skinny but not too skinny makes u look taller.. and skinnier... but wearing to tight jeans is a no go.
    My top 10 fragrances:
    - Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540
    - Maison Francis Kurkdjian Grand Soir
    - Creed Aventus
    - Dior Homme intense
    - Tom Ford Oud Wood
    - Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    - By Kilian Straight to heaven
    - By Kilian Black Phantom
    - Parfums De Marly Carlisle
    - Parfums De Marly Layton

No - especially when they pulled over the arse - looks comical

Quote Originally Posted by R.ay View Post
    Well unfortunately - based on no empirical evidence whatsoever - I feel that designers are forced into catering for a generally more heavy-set population nowadays. That means that regular fit is probably not very regular anymore.

I'm not too sure if that's the case of where you are but where I normally shop, it's loose>regular>fitted>slim>skinny.

No, here it's being lately (in order of frequency) SKINNY>>>> slim>>>> fitted>>>> regular>> loose.
    But in here most men with more than 25yo like fit or regular fit more. Younger ones and with a lower potential power to buy like these sticked to the body pants. I'm pretty confused why the market is acting like this since the people with money in hands do not use them themselves usually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jvazquez76 View Post
    If you look at old westerns or leading men in movies... you notice clean silhouettes. There are literally half a dozen types of skinny jeans. Skim, Super Slim, Skinny, and Super Skinny... Most European designers use clean cuts in their button downs, sport coats, and denim. If you are not fit, or athletic, you can always try to find a 'relaxed fit' jean which still exists btw.

Myself? I happen to like the clean look that skinny jeans affords someone with a lean body type. I'm not skinny by any stretch (5'8" / 170 lbs) but slimmer arm holes in shirts and sport coats along with trim jeans.??? It's a good look. Most of my Italian sport coats look exponentially better than anything else made by JCrew or Banana, which are tailored for the American markets. Slim jeans and a nice pair of chelsea boots. Great look IMHO.
    I agree slim fit jackets, coats, sweaters, shirts usually look better. But we gotta have a common sense that even with a sharp body we shall not exaggerate.
    There are tailored suited pieces that are not necessarily tight. They respect the shape of our body and gives it space, freedom to move. I have some beautiful slim Italian pieces. I'm not very loyal to brands. If I like it and it fits me well I buy. Of course I know the brands with wich the chances of finding something I like and that fits me good are higher. Even them are so "skinny" nowadays! Those tight jeans make us look like giraffes imo. When we notice by ourselves a woman has a beautiful body is much more interesting then her showing on our face she has a wonderful body. The power of suggestion and insinuation is way more big than the power of the exaggerated exposure imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Galanthus View Post
    Your question is very general... depends i wear skinny but not too skinny makes u look taller.. and skinnier... but wearing to tight jeans is a no go.
    Skinny to the point of being tight in the calves and a bit tight in the upper parts of the jeans.
    Tight skinny (I don't know if this exists) is a definetely no for me.
    Bought me a slim fit sort of jeans last Friday and I am pretty liking it. Despite being a bit sticked to my calves, the fabric is 50% cotton and the rest is a mix of 4 or 5 other kinds of fabric like elastane, polyamide microfiber and something else. The touch is like a of a smooth sweatshirt, but it looks like jeans! It's so comfortable! They should use this mix of fabrics more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    No - especially when they pulled over the arse - looks comical
    Hahaha! That's a vision of the hell! And the footwear? Looks like the feet grew some miles and we are walking on two boats.
    Last edited by Beck; 22nd February 2017 at 01:08 AM.

I voted "no..."

You really need to have a certain body type to pull skinny jeans off... I'm sort of built like a linebacker, so I wouldn't dare try to squeeze myself into a pair of these!!!

I'd say that 90% of the people that wear skinny jeans ought to buy straight fit.... Just my 2 cents....
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I voted "no..."

You really need to have a certain body type to pull skinny jeans off... I'm sort of built like a linebacker, so I wouldn't dare try to squeeze myself into a pair of these!!!

I'd say that 90% of the people that wear skinny jeans ought to buy straight fit.... Just my 2 cents....
    Actually, being or not in shape I can't find them to look beautiful or elegant, no matter what else you wear with them tbh. It's so odd imo.

Depends on how skinny. I have 3 pairs of skinny stretch from River island and they're the best fitting, most comfortable jeans I've ever owned. I have them in a 32 when I'm really a 30. IMO no one over the age of 21 should ever wear super skinnies or spray ons.

Also if you've not got the right build for it it's gonna look weird. Looks better taller, slimmer men.

No, here it's being lately (in order of frequency) SKINNY>>>> slim>>>> fitted>>>> regular>> loose.
    But in here most men with more than 25yo like fit or regular fit more. Younger ones and with a lower potential power to buy like these sticked to the body pants. I'm pretty confused why the market is acting like this since the people with money in hands do not use them themselves usually.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree slim fit jackets, coats, sweaters, shirts usually look better. But we gotta have a common sense that even with a sharp body we shall not exaggerate.
    There are tailored suited pieces that are not necessarily tight. They respect the shape of our body and gives it space, freedom to move. I have some beautiful slim Italian pieces. I'm not very loyal to brands. If I like it and it fits me well I buy. Of course I know the brands with wich the chances of finding something I like and that fits me good are higher. Even them are so "skinny" nowadays! Those tight jeans make us look like giraffes imo. When we notice by ourselves a woman has a beautiful body is much more interesting then her showing on our face she has a wonderful body. The power of suggestion and insinuation is way more big than the power of the exaggerated exposure imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Skinny to the point of being tight in the calves and a bit tight in the upper parts of the jeans.
    Tight skinny (I don't know if this exists) is a definetely no for me.
    Bought me a slim fit sort of jeans last Friday and I am pretty liking it. Despite being a bit sticked to my calves, the fabric is 50% cotton and the rest is a mix of 4 or 5 other kinds of fabric like elastane, polyamide microfiber and something else. The touch is like a of a smooth sweatshirt, but it looks like jeans! It's so comfortable! They should use this mix of fabrics more.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha! That's a vision of the hell! And the footwear? Looks like the feet grew some miles and we are walking on two boats.

Skinny not to skinny jeans would perfectly work with if the are stretchy.
    My top 10 fragrances:
    - Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540
    - Maison Francis Kurkdjian Grand Soir
    - Creed Aventus
    - Dior Homme intense
    - Tom Ford Oud Wood
    - Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    - By Kilian Straight to heaven
    - By Kilian Black Phantom
    - Parfums De Marly Carlisle
    - Parfums De Marly Layton

I've been wearing skinny jeans for years, now I just recently switched to slim/"tapered" jeans (which someone may still consider "skinny"). If they're quality jeans and the cut is good for you, then I find them way more comfortable than larger/baggier pants.

I agree that it takes a certain body shape to wear them and look fine though, I am slim and non-muscular enough to look OK with them, but I agree that they would look odd - or just plain horrible - on bigger/fatter/more muscular legs and buttocks. And probably, age counts as well - personally I'll turn 33 this year and I started feeling a bit out of place with those punk-ish skinny jeans I guess they're better for teens or young men just until 27-28 years old or so...

Well anyway all in all I voted "yes", on the right body and with the right overall style they look great for me. Surely better than shapeless baggy pants.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nor me, thankfully. I'd have to disown them.

It's when guys look like they've actually just painted their legs blue, it gives me the creeps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Surely better than shapeless baggy pants.
    Neither are good, just opposite ends of the spectrum. Possibly, both can be fine with the right look but I see people all the time that just shouldn't have gone there. They look like they're wearing Robin Hood style tights.
    Last edited by Suspended; 22nd February 2017 at 02:55 PM.

I hardly find trousers that fit me, since years now. Out of pure desperation I even started to buy them at Primark, because it's the only place where I can buy trousers made of natural fibre in ragular/straight cut, that are not jeans (as I don't wear jeans). Some years ago I started to wear cord pants although I didn't like cord pants, because back then they where the only ones I could find that fitted me.
    The cold seasons are horrible, I don't have such problems when it's warm. In summer I'm wearing kilts. And let me tell you, it's far easier to get a nice and not too expensive kilt than to find a nice not too expemsive pair of trousers. No, I'm not living in Scottland.
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)
    Currently wearing: Snuff by Elsa Schiaparelli

Quote Originally Posted by NebelGeīst View Post
    I hardly find trousers that fit me, since years now. Out of pure desperation I even started to buy them at Primark, because it's the only place where I can buy trousers made of natural fibre in ragular/straight cut, that are not jeans (as I don't wear jeans). Some years ago I started to wear cord pants although I didn't like cord pants, because back then they where the only ones I could find that fitted me.
    The cold seasons are horrible, I don't have such problems when it's warm. In summer I'm wearing kilts. And let me tell you, it's far easier to get a nice and not too expensive kilt than to find a nice not too expemsive pair of trousers. No, I'm not living in Scottland.
    Sorry, but wearing a kilt makes you Scottish by default. You'll have to move here now

But whisk(e)y is more expensive in Scottland than here
    At least untill the Brexit is finnished, than taxes will let the prices rise..
    Oh damn, I need to stock on whis(e)y before it's too late!
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)

But whisk(e)y is more expensive in Scottland than here
    At least untill the Brexit is finnished, than taxes will let the prices rise..
    Oh damn, I need to stock on whis(e)y before it's too late!
    Smart man, but let me tell you, whisky (or Scotch) is Scottish and whiskey is Irish. You need to know this or you won't be allowed in to the country

Quote Originally Posted by Markish86 View Post
    Depends on how skinny. I have 3 pairs of skinny stretch from River island and they're the best fitting, most comfortable jeans I've ever owned. I have them in a 32 when I'm really a 30. IMO no one over the age of 21 should ever wear super skinnies or spray ons.

Also if you've not got the right build for it it's gonna look weird. Looks better taller, slimmer men.
    I also has two pairs of skinny that are not what I would call skinny. They aren't tight in my legs and they are comfortable either since they are stretch (with elastane).
    I'm focusing on the elastane ones. Way more comfortable for daily wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I've been wearing skinny jeans for years, now I just recently switched to slim/"tapered" jeans (which someone may still consider "skinny"). If they're quality jeans and the cut is good for you, then I find them way more comfortable than larger/baggier pants.

I agree that it takes a certain body shape to wear them and look fine though, I am slim and non-muscular enough to look OK with them, but I agree that they would look odd - or just plain horrible - on bigger/fatter/more muscular legs and buttocks. And probably, age counts as well - personally I'll turn 33 this year and I started feeling a bit out of place with those punk-ish skinny jeans I guess they're better for teens or young men just until 27-28 years old or so...

Well anyway all in all I voted "yes", on the right body and with the right overall style they look great for me. Surely better than shapeless baggy pants.
    The classifications sometimes are not very clear. As I said above, I have some pairs of skinny that I wouldn't consider skinny. They fit me just right, not being large or tight. I also has one or two pairs of slim that are quite comfortable and has a good space for my calves.
    Hahaha! I forgot skinny are very common for punks! Post-punk also wear, like Simon Gallup and even Robert Smith (would never imagine him in skinnies).
    Well, if you feel comfortable with your skinny pants and you seem to have a good shape to wear them, I don't see any problem in using them.
    I also don't like baggy pants. I like a nice cut in my jeans. It has to have a minimum fit. Even when the baggy pants were a trend, I used to buy ones that had a nice cut in waist and hip. I still have them. I wonder if they will ever come back.
    I'm making an adjustment in the ones that have large legs and aren't designed to be baggy. There's no way to adjust the ones made to be baggy and they keep being beautiful. They were designed for this.
    The 514 pair I bought the other day is being adjusted. Very large legs, but they fit me well in my waist and hip.
    Last edited by Beck; 23rd February 2017 at 04:00 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

One word. Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Nor me, thankfully. I'd have to disown them.

It's when guys look like they've actually just painted their legs blue, it gives me the creeps.

- - - Updated - - -
    THIS is the horror... oh my, let me stay silent!

Neither are good, just opposite ends of the spectrum. Possibly, both can be fine with the right look but I see people all the time that just shouldn't have gone there. They look like they're wearing Robin Hood style tights.
    Gotta agree. I used to wear larger ones when people were using them. Maybe they thought the same I'm thinking nowadays about skinny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    One word. Slim.
    Slim are quite nice. I would just like a little bit larger cuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Kilts! You are bold! It may be VERY comfortable!
    Zara has nice trousers, despite the last time I was there they were all skinny. Here Zara is not that cheap. But they are far from the more expensive brands. And I find their fabric quality most of the times. Worth checking out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Smart man, but let me tell you, whisky (or Scotch) is Scottish and whiskey is Irish. You need to know this or you won't be allowed in to the country

I actually do know it, I usually write it with e and only put it in brackets as I've seen you are from Scotland

And yes, very comfortable.. But you should not go upstairs if someone walks behind you......
    (As long as your ass isn't as hairy as mine, in which case the other person might think you're wearing underpants anyway)

I actually do know it, I usually write it with e and only put it in brackets as I've seen you are from Scotland

And yes, very comfortable.. But you should not go upstairs if someone walks behind you......
    (As long as your ass isn't as hairy as mine, in which case the other person might think you're wearing underpants anyway)
    LOL. We shall wear underpants!

User of Toilet Water

On the right woman- YES! On me- NO! I like slim fit jeans though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    On the right woman- YES! On me- NO! I like slim fit jeans though.
    Here it's very very hard to see a woman wearing a larger jeans.

LOL. We shall wear underpants!
    But that's only half the fun! And with 35+ °C it's definitely more healthy to let your undies rest in your wardrobe
    And, to get back on topic, it is for sure more healthy than skinny jeans.

But that's only half the fun! And with 35+ °C it's definitely more healthy to let your undies rest in your wardrobe
    And, to get back on topic, it is for sure more healthy than skinny jeans.
    Yes, but you don't want to end up tripping over your testicles because you offered them no support for 30 years.