Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Burning oud wood

Recently I've been watching some documentaries about burning oud as a home fragrance. I'm interested, but I've never done it, or seen it done, in person.

Does anyone have experience with burning real oud in their home? If so, any tips on where to begin for a western guy who loves the smell of oud in fragrances?

Default Re: Burning oud wood

Not an expert myself, but I'd say it is wise to go with reputable brands. In an Arabian oud store, I've smelled wonderful stuff. I think the brand has opened one in NYC recently, though I have never been there.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Check in your area if you have a Middle Eastern or South Asian mart or store. Perhaps they might have what you would need or at least they could direct you to a place where you could find it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks guys, great suggestions. I just did a little googling and found a few stores around me. Not sure if they carry oud but it will be a good place to start.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share!

It may be an idea to start with burning bakhoor (wood/powder soaked in a blend of different scents) and then work your way up to oud. Some of the blends are fantastic and allow your nose to experience different aromas. I would also recommend getting small amounts of resins and sandalwood to sample.

There are different ways of burning woods and resins, an electric burner would be the most convenient.
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

This is a very large and complicated subject in many different cultures.

Agarwood is often carefully and gently heated in stages using electric burners/heaters to best experience different facets of the smell, or you can simply place it on hot charcoal and experience a massive release of smoke.

A couple vendors you can trust to sell you high quality examples of the real thing are AgarAura and Rising Phoenix. There is probably much more fake agarwood and oud oil on the market than real and almost every single modern/western fragrance that is sold as an "oud" fragrance has no oud in it, but despite that they price the fragrance as if it did. So this is an extreme example of buyer beware and there are few people that are considered trustworthy when it comes to agarwood.

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks everyone. I'll check those out.

I have not done it yet but a friend did and she told me that the scent really relaxing. I might do this this soon as well.