Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Another Creed suggestions thread

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Perhaps you're having an issue with a potential synthetic? I have experienced that before, but recently my sensitivity isn't as bad (maybe I'm getting used to the 'punch' that some fragrances give). GIT is 'the' quintessential inoffensive fragrance and you're one of the very few to say they are offended by it. I have to be thinking you're reacting to a synthetic or are potentially very sensitive to something in the fragrance. I can believe you and didn't mean to offend you. I just don't want people reading your opinion to think that Green Irish Tweed has a likelyhood of being perceived as 'offensive' when it's, in my experience and research, the 'least' offensive fragrance I can think of.

I second the earlier recommendation of Vetiver Geranium, it's really great.
    Tspenser, people just have different opinions about the fragrances they encounter. Odd that you look to protect the forum's readership from thinking negatively about a scent you love. The readership will make up its own mind. The OP doesn't like the product and there's no need for you or anyone to go find a cause and effect for why that might be. In this scent scape it just is.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Possibly Erolfa? Being new to the creed line myself, I've recently purchased a few different 1ml samples to try and Erolfa is definitely on my 'to buy' list.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Tspenser, people just have different opinions about the fragrances they encounter. Odd that you look to protect the forum's readership from thinking negatively about a scent you love. The readership will make up its own mind. The OP doesn't like the product and there's no need for you or anyone to go find a cause and effect for why that might be. In this scent scape it just is.
    Have to agree with this. To imply anyone that does not like S & W cannot have 'taste' is pretty offensive. Different strokes and all that.

I have now sampled GIT again and again, once a day to be honest. Just out of curiosity as there is something in it. I am trying to work my way through that harsh and nose piecing top and understand what is going on with it. I get similarities to Fahrenheit, Reflection Man.
    I do admit, that my first impressions with GIT were really repulsive. But I do not usually give up at first try.

Still again, GIT on my hand. I find it to be interesting but still bad even I do love Fahrenheit and Reflection. I'd rather wear those instead. Might be some synthetic used in GIT.

Can't say I haven't tried enough. Will test until my sample is finished.
    Last edited by Herne; 26th February 2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Default Re: Another Creed thread

...oh no...not again...
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...oh no...not again...
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dnaforever2203 View Post
    Wow your all over the map brother.

GIT - ugliest fragrance you've smelled?? Holy cow first time I've heard that

Try - Erolfa, OS, Royal Mayfair, VIW
    I was a little taken back by the GIT statement as well, but to each their own. Try pure white cologne?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

A few thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    Millesime Imperial (quite different from any of my wardrobe, interesting, will be sampling more. Gone in 30 minutes though, which might be a no for me)
    Millesime Imperial is one that, in my opinion, needs to be sampled in summer. I first tried it in cold weather and I thought it was bad. I got something fruity and then the whole thing seemed to disappear. Another BNer convinced me to try it again, and I did. This time, it was during a spring heatwave and, WOW, what a difference. It lasted 10+ hours and gave me big projection (almost too big, to be honest! I only wear 2 sprays now). I loved it so much I bought a bottle. It's fantastic... but I haven't worn it in months since it's winter. As soon as the first hot day arrives this year, I'll be reaching for MI again.

Royal Oud (I have a lot better ouds than this. does not even smell good to me.)
    Yes, they used the word Oud in the name, but I never judge scents by their names. I think they could have easily named it Royal Cedar or Royal Sandalwood. Granted, if you don't like it, no worries. I'm just saying, don't judge it by the name, especially since if somebody smells you they smell the fragrance, not the name or the bottle or the box. It's about the smell. Lots of amazing scents have names that don't fit them very well.

Considering my likes/dislikes from Creed, is there anything else from their current line that I should still sample and might like?
    My advice would be to consider a different house. Based on your likes and dislikes, I can't help wondering if you'd prefer something like MFK. Aqua Universalis, Aqua Vitae, APOM, Petit Matin, maybe Cologne Pour Le Soir? You seem to really enjoy 'clean'. I'm finding myself more and more drawn to that style lately too.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

^ thanks.

I will definitely retest MI too. I like it more and more but still find really short longevity. Creed does clean and fresh scents really well. I enjoy those I already tested. Definitely bottle worthy stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I'm defending GIT and trying to ensure that the newbies reading the forum don't get a false impression of it as the vast majority of people think GIT is very nice or better. People can make up their own minds, but we need to clarify that the OP's experience isn't common. I have had bad experiences with fragrances myself that are rather 'rare', and I always state a caveat that my experience with those fragrances is 'uncommon' so as not to lead people to think they will dislike it or many people surrounding them will dislike it. GIT, in my experience, has a very, very 'wide' appeal. And I'm not encouraging the OP to wear something that he doesn't like. If he has a poor reaction to GIT, then that is unfortunate and he obviously likes many other fine fragrances. There is nothing bad about having an individual experience that is uncommon. It just is what it is.
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I have now sampled GIT again and again, once a day to be honest. Just out of curiosity as there is something in it. I am trying to work my way through that harsh and nose piecing top and understand what is going on with it. I get similarities to Fahrenheit, Reflection Man.
    I do admit, that my first impressions with GIT were really repulsive. But I do not usually give up at first try.

Still again, GIT on my hand. I find it to be interesting but still bad even I do love Fahrenheit and Reflection. I'd rather wear those instead. Might be some synthetic used in GIT.

Can't say I haven't tried enough. Will test until my sample is finished.
    Don't try to force yourself to like something that you don't enjoy just because other people like it. I have had this problem with a few fragrances myself and luckily that problem is softening for me. I'm finally able to smell Dior Sauvage without having a terrible experience and it is smelling good now from test strips. So, my sense of smell seems to be adapting to wearing fragrances often and I'm not as sensitive. I think I've built up a tolerance to perfumes that I didn't have before. So, maybe give GIT another try much later down the road and if you like it, great, if not there are many other wonderful fragrances for you to like.

Don't try to force yourself to like something that you don't enjoy just because other people like it. I have had this problem with a few fragrances myself and luckily that problem is softening for me. I'm finally able to smell Dior Sauvage without having a terrible experience and it is smelling good now from test strips. So, my sense of smell seems to be adapting to wearing fragrances often and I'm not as sensitive. I think I've built up a tolerance to perfumes that I didn't have before. So, maybe give GIT another try much later down the road and if you like it, great, if not there are many other wonderful fragrances for you to like.
    well said

I don't try to force myself to like anything because other people do like it. I couldn't care less what others think of some fragrance if I don't like it or do like it.
    I am just trying to understand any fragrance I do find somehow interesting. And GIT is interesting to me even I don't like it. What makes it interesting, I don't know. That is what I am learning from it here. Maybe it is that why I find it so bad, so I can avoid it in other fragrances in the future.

About my negative comments. Do you really think that if there is 277 positive, 76 neutral and 50 negative reviews of GIT in Basenotes review database, my negative comments about it means that much? Maybe those who read negative reviews and my comment actually can have advantage of them that they do some research and do not blindly go and buy expensive fragrance of this price point. I am not the only one who dislikes it, why would there be 50 negative reviews then? Wouldn't the newbies get that false impression from just reading the praise for it?

I do respect your love to it, but you cannot make it anything else it isn't to some.

By the way, last night I sampled S&W. This time I found it actually quite enjoyable. It might do the trick on some occasions for me. But I am still thinking, is a fragrance this 'sophisticated' and boring even worth to actually buy. I am not so negative about it anymore though, I might change my mind with this some day.
    Last edited by Herne; 27th February 2017 at 06:50 PM.

Basenotes Plus

By the way, last night I sampled S&W. This time I found it actually quite enjoyable. It might do the trick on some occasions for me. But I am still thinking, is a fragrance this 'sophisticated' and boring even worth to actually buy. I am not so negative about it anymore though, I might change my mind with this some day.
    Spice & Wood is my favorite but soooo expensive. Creed knows what my nose likes and they are hold it hostage with expensive small bottles. I don't use this as often as I would like due to how much the bottle cost me.

Spice & Wood is my favorite but soooo expensive. Creed knows what my nose likes and they are hold it hostage with expensive small bottles. I don't use this as often as I would like due to how much the bottle cost me.
    Basenotes splits are the way to go when cost is an issue. They allow us to get a reasonable amount of fragrances we would ordinarily never get for about the same price as a common, everyday designer.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Very surprised you both didn't like GIT, but hey... each to their own. I definitely recommend Virgin Island Water, it's delicious!

Maybe sniffing too much too fast? GIT is a gorgeous fragrance, and the highlight of the Creed house imo. I too have never received any negative feedback while wearing it. Although one of my friends thought it was Cool Water

There's a lot of stuff from this house that I have not tried, so I can't recommend much. I will say that my favorites are GIT, SMW, VIW. I agree with you that Himalaya smells cheap. It actually smells like Paco Rabanne XS which smells cheap too. If you're getting bad longevity with SMW, I recommend Al Rehab Silver. It's shockingly similar, and has way better longevity.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Maybe sniffing too much too fast? GIT is a gorgeous fragrance, and the highlight of the Creed house imo. I too have never received any negative feedback while wearing it. Although one of my friends thought it was Cool Water

There's a lot of stuff from this house that I have not tried, so I can't recommend much. I will say that my favorites are GIT, SMW, VIW. I agree with you that Himalaya smells cheap. It actually smells like Paco Rabanne XS which smells cheap too. If you're getting bad longevity with SMW, I recommend Al Rehab Silver. It's shockingly similar, and has way better longevity.
    I don't think I am sniffing too fast. I know my limits

I've put my GIT sample away. Cannot stand it what ever I do. That's it. It just burns my nose and I do not find violet leaf on this pleasant.

Also yesterday S&W again failed to impress me. Go figure.

Royal Water ordered, that is a gorgeous one. With decent enough longevity.

Baaed on what you like, I think you will enjoy Royal Mayfair (but give it more than a couple wears...this one had to grow on me...). It is very unique and one of my top 3 favorite Creed fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Okay, people,

Sorry to become a statistic, but I tried Aventus yesterday again, and this time I 'loved it'. Last year my nose was much more sensitive to fragrances and I've apparently built up a nasal immunity over the months since trying this a few times in May of last year.

I remember when I tried it months ago the pineapple smell disappeared after 40 mins and the smoky smell just wore on my nerves at about the 4 hour mark. I remember loving the first 40 mins but my senses just couldn't take the onslaught and power of the fragrance. I was but a fragrance weakling then. I kept the sample and it sat for the last 8-9 months until yesterday.

And since yesterday's re-eval, I must have this one. So, another victim of Aventus is confirmed. I will be buying a bottle a 4 ounce bottle and will be making it into a variant in my black shave kit. I swear I didn't think Aventus would be something I was going to end up buying, but my newly realized built-up resistance to fragrance has helped me hurdle the only regretful issue with this one.

The best part was, after 6 HOURS, when this went to a skin scent, I could STILL smell the pineapple!!! Could the sample maybe have aged and lost some of it's potency and spiciness?
    Last edited by tspencer; 7th March 2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamroe View Post
    Baaed on what you like, I think you will enjoy Royal Mayfair (but give it more than a couple wears...this one had to grow on me...). It is very unique and one of my top 3 favorite Creed fragrances.
    Yes, I think Royal Mayfair may be pleasant.

Basenotes Plus

I'm thinking of buying Aventus from Fragrancenet. Any better places to order from?

I'm thinking of buying Aventus from Fragrancenet. Any better places to order from?
    Certainly a question for another place. There is the Aventus sub-forum and the shopping forums. Aventus isn't a subject of this thread although you have been telling your story of it in the thread. Surely there's a better place.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well said, DustB. The "white knighting" is not uncommon around here, specially when it comes to Creed.

Tomorrow I will most likely get my Royal Water. Yippee!

I have to keep slight pause on sampling here. Somehow it seems like one of my sons is getting itchy red eyes and running nose every time I sample at least Royal Oud and Spice&Wood. Never happened before with any other fragrances of mine.

And have not happened in a few days with other wore fragrances(other than Creed). At some point, will check again with Creeds and see if he reacts again.
    Last edited by Herne; 16th April 2017 at 05:20 PM.

Ok.

Sampled following :

1. VIW
    2. PWC
    3. Asian Green Tea
    4. Erolfa
    5. Royal Mayfair

And that is the ranking of these. VIW is definitely going to my buy list. PWC I am still pondering should I, same thing like MI. Really good stuff but does not last on me more than two hours. And the price... with MI it was tolerable but with this... hmm..

Asian Green Tea is great, but I think it does not suit me.

Erolfa.. well, ok but nothing i would buy.

And Royal Mayfair... I thought I would love it but found it to be worst of them all. In fact goes straight to same category as GIT did. Maybe even worse. Also again my 'wife-test' had pretty much same results as GIT.
    Last edited by Herne; 16th April 2017 at 05:19 PM.

Nooo... I never thought I would say this, but I am somehow slightly starting to appreciate GIT... It wouldn't be the first time I do a complete U-turn with some fragrance.

Anyway, ordered samples of Vetiver Geranium and Jardin D'Amalfi. In a case I don't miss anything great.

And, bottles of VIW and PWC ordered.

Congrats on the turnaround; however I just question what's changed?
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Congrats on the turnaround; however I just question what's changed?
    I find it's opening very nice, just that I remember to keep my nose in a distance. It is ridiculously strong on me. If I smell it close to the place of spraying it literally burns my nose. But from distance (sprayed on wrist, so arms length) I can tolerate it and it is somewhat nice except still quite brutal. Suppose it is just it's character. And that's not a bad thing.

Don't love it, but somehow I seem to be coming back now and then and always find it very interesting and worth some sniffing.

It does smell quite 'old school' to me, which again adds more interest even I do not know is it wearable on me.

Maybe what has changed is that I just remember to keep the distance to the spot I applied the thing.

GIT still reminds me of Reflection Man after few hours passed. Just a note, I absolutely hated Reflection Man at first but now I just love it. I find GIT extremely synthetic and harsh. In a same time it is bold and masculine as heck. It gives me some kinda 'industrial' vibe. I don't get green grass or likes but what I get is greasy machines and a mechanic working on them after taking a good shower.

Heck, maybe there is a chance I fall into GIT.
    Last edited by Herne; 17th April 2017 at 06:38 PM.