Code of Conduct

Default Platinum Egoiste at about 24 years after release.

This came out in 1993 according to the BN directory. My bottle is probably between 15 and 20 years old. I bought it because I wanted the new thing from an old house of such standing that I was still wearing Anteaus.

I have to admit that I fought off buyer's remorse of buying it by deciding that I liked it. I didn't dislike it, but, ugh, it just never took my anywhere. Always felt like wearing something because you're supposed to instead of because it's an expression of your own taste and selection. Made me feel bad about the purchase. I decided to solve that by buying the Platinum Egoiste accessory products when I could. Stocked up on the bar soap doggone it! (That's some good soap.)

Anyway, I used to make sure I wore this on winter days nice enough to wear a favorite old blue cashmere overcoat because the coat fit me perfectly and seemed like it would be my projection of what my city slicker self would match with the milky, powdery, and pushy Platinum Egoiste. But I really never liked this scent, as it was pushy, and the nose didn't crave it. Better said, it did nothing that made the nose want to seek it, seek under it, seek what it would lose because the breath was already filled up with the intake.

Two days ago I came across my old bottle in the back of the closet, and was pumped. I've seen a few mentions of it on the board in the last few months and I thought I wanted another try wearing it around in life and seeing if it felt somehow like the city slicker I have in mind for myself.

Now I'm wearing it for the second day in a row, which I seldom do with scents. In the old way I want to scream "I really like it!" so I can feel good about spending and the rather few hours I've spent in it that would total the 20 or 25 days I've worn it over years sincer purchase. But I do like it, and I still don't like it.

CdG 3 was jokingly known as the "outer space" flower scent, the story goes, because the brief for its creation called for a scent of a flower that had never been smelled yet. (CdG 3 is a great scent.) Platinum Egoiste though, is also an outer space flower. I don't know exactly why the two remind me of each other, but PE seems also best explained as something undiscovered, sweet woody, herbal, creamy? One of those scents that for me is surely better described by the whole of the package rather than looking for the ingredient elements. Another one I think it might be like is Creed's Himalaya, but I'll have to wear that one tomorrow to test the idea (it has been a long time).

The ways the scent has the best qualities are several. Doggone it, when it's on you, it is THERE. Punching through everything. Lasts with power forever. Smelled it in the shower today strongly after all yesterday's wear. Made me pumped that I would wear it again, thus putting on more where there was already a residue. It's pushy, and that redeems its lack of development. What you put on after the shower is pretty much what you get when you get into the shower the next day. A weakness usually, but here it's a kind of mysterious boldness, perhaps because the scent is oddly out there and mysterious already. I don't know why, but the image of white chess pieces comes to me with the smell; as if the game's lead ideally keeps the initiative and forces attacks. I did wonder about wearing it with the blue overcoat because I felt like I was a cream smelling white chess piece underneath it. Weird.

On the subway's elevator I passed a guy wearing Fahrenheit some time ago and the pull of his scent was so powerful I didn't want to walk past him because of the un-pushy allure, the invitation into space, that Fahrenheit has. The opposite comes from PE. It's pushy and clean, dry soapy (from the beginning of that era) and oddly antagonistic.

I went to the directory to see how reviewers there described it and there are just too many reviews to plow through. I am really liking the scent though, and wish I still had that great overcoat. I guess I've sort of come around on it, but I still don't think it would be anything I'd wear to show off my scent taste to friends's noses or fun events. I don't think it says anything great taste wise, and that seems like a pretty funny reaction come to think of it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Platinum Egoiste at about 24 years after release.

I personally have never wavered on this scent from the time I first bought it upon its release. Very much enjoy it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I really love this in its very sharp and strong vintage formulation.
    Current (as well as new shaped bottle as last years one of the previous formulation) is way softer and lost the sharp edges completely imo.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

I have a new bottle purchased last year and love it. It is still strong to me and I get everything from it...the green, the metallic, the beautiful drydown. I still find this to be an incredible work/date/formal/everything scent.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Liking this one in any of its versions- faithful to the Chanel style, with a modern twist, just enough to make and keep it relevant without detracting from the elegant luxuriousness of this house.
    The balance between fresher, more casual and more mature, sombre, opulent notes on the more conservative side is quite aptly and craftily achieved as well in this one.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I have a new bottle purchased last year and love it. It is still strong to me and I get everything from it...the green, the metallic, the beautiful drydown. I still find this to be an incredible work/date/formal/everything scent.
    Yeah it is still ok, but nothing compared to a 90's formulation.
    I own a 90's, 2005 (also extremely good!), 2012 and newest 2014 formulations and the differences between first two and last two are huge to say the least (at least to my nose on my skin). The worse were the 2012-2014 batches (before bottle shape changed)....they did not last longer than 4 hrs. Newest bottle is indeed an improvment on the 2012-2014 ones but still nothing compared to the razor sharp metallic vintage.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 22nd February 2017 at 10:08 PM.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Wearing Perfume Right Now

It's one of my favorites. I have the original and the most recent. I like them nearly equally, with a slight preference for the original.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    2017 sample passes: Dusita, Aftelier, Retro Roses, Carner Barcelona/Xerjoff part 1, Affinessence, Carner Barcelona/Xerjoff part 2, Summer Colognes, Iris, Ferragamo, 4160 Tuesdays, Maison Francis Kurkdjian. Upcoming: 4160 Tuesdays part 2.

I personally love this fragrance. I rarely reach for it tho because I favor more smooth fragrances, but this one is so fresh "out of the shower" and will always be in my wardrobe.
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

I have a bottle that was produced in November of 2012, and i find the performance and longevity to be excellent. I easily get 7, 8 hours. Never smelled the original formulation, but I am very happy with the one I have.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès