Code of Conduct

Default Increasing fragrance performance: Vaseline , Unscened lotion, baby oil or what??

Hey guys so ive heard and read people using all kinds of creams and oils such as:

- Vaseline
    - Aquaphor
    - Unscented lotion
    - baby oil
    - "jojoba" oil?
    - Unscented essential oils

to increase performance.
    The question is, physically and scientifically speaking, which one of these is works best with the skin+fragrance chemistry to provide the most extra projection and longetivity?

if you have tried a few of these, id love to know your input!

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by emilking; 23rd February 2017 at 03:35 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: Increasing fragrance performance: Vaseline , Unscened lotion, baby oil or what??

Over the years I have tried baby oil and vaseline and unscented lotion. Baby oil and vaseline did nothing to improve longevity on my skin. Unscented lotion did. So I had my answer.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Increasing fragrance performance: Vaseline , Unscened lotion, baby oil or what??

Unscented lotion for me, works like magic!

Vaseline works too but it's too thick and uncomfortable.

Also i forgot to mention: I definitely care more about projection than longvetity.

My main goal is that I want my fragrance to (as much as it allows) radiate well around me and leave a very noticeable scent trail
    Last edited by emilking; 23rd February 2017 at 03:47 AM.

I wouldn't ever spray fragrance on top of any cream or liquid or paste or anything else I put on my skin.

Especially since I (usually) have so many clothes on that do the job even better.

If your main goal is projection, I wouldn't use anything that would increase longevity.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive díAmbre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I wouldn't ever spray fragrance on top of any cream or liquid or paste or anything else I put on my skin.

Especially since I (usually) have so many clothes on that do the job even better.

If your main goal is projection, I wouldn't use anything that would increase longevity.
    I see.

Any tips for increasing mainly projection?

I opted for 'what'. A fragrance's performance tend to vary with one's sensory sensitivity and speed of habituation so perhaps that's something you could look at instead.

Quote Originally Posted by emilking View Post
    I see.

Maybe an extra spray or two. And not spraying your core, but spraying your extremities (arms, etc) that you may swing around.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive díAmbre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Maybe an extra spray or two. And not spraying your core, but spraying your extremities (arms, etc) that you may swing around.
    hmm interesting.
    will try thanks!
    Last edited by emilking; 23rd February 2017 at 04:05 AM.

If your fragrance has an accompanying bathline (deodorant, soap, talcum) that usually helps with both projection and longevity. I also spray my hands and hair when I want my scent to radiate around me.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Basenotes Junkie

I go with unscented lotion, but I'd suggest you don't trust your own nose. Find a friend to ask about your projection to see if others can smell your fragrance after you've become unable to.

This is a great idea!

Better yet IMHO would be to choose scents that are projection monsters or simply spraying your clothes.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

I admit I never have a problem. But I do exfoliate at least 3 times a week.

Arms are good, the forearms as well as just the pulse points.
    DONNA

As others were saying, lotion is more about longevity, though it doesn't hurt projection. Heat helps projection, though obviously you cannot start sweating just to project more. Warm points of the body could include back of the knee and inner elbows. The back of the head could also help. For women, cleavage.

cacio

I'm late to the party but the best thing I've found is to use deodorant, it makes your skin dry and holds the scent like a scent strip. Best to use a complimentary scented deodorant or unscented, just apply where you would normally apply your fragrance and spray over the top of it. Vaseline is also good, however it will leave your skin feeling tight and it has a slightly off-putting waxy scent. I recommend inner elbows for this process.

Sorry for re-resurrecting this thread but after 14 or so years in the fragrance ďgameĒ I think I finally figured out what works great for me and I donít remember it being mentioned here on BN before. Living in the Phoenix, Arizona desert my skin always seems to be dry and instantly absorbs fragrances so I get almost zero longevity from most my frags - even the monster powerhouses. I even ask friends and family around me and they usually say they can smell a faint trace of my fragrance if they shove their noses right up to my skin after only a few hours. Iíve tried changing my diet, increasing my water intake, using lotion, oils, etc., etc.

I grow aloe vera in my front yard so the other day I decided to cut off a blade from one of the plants and rub the aloe gel all over the usual spray area on my arm (there was quite a bit of the gel on my arm). I then sprayed the fragrance right on top of the aloe gel and lo and behold I got better longevity out of it than I ever have using any other method. Aloe gel has no odor, is not greasy, is super hydrating, and eventually soaks into the skin. Iíve tried it a few times this week and it works great.

I like it best when it comes straight from one of my plants, but you can buy 99% pure aloe gel online and itís not too expensive. It works for me and it may be worth a try if you guys havenít had luck with other methods.

The problem with using aloe gel is you'll look like a greasy monkey wherever you applied it, although that's really cool you can make your own kudos! I recommend you try the deodorant trick (inner elbows) it's a fail-safe method of mine. As long as the deodorant is there the scent will continue to hold just like on paper, the fragrance will be in suspended animation. Should last over half the day, even through sweat and hard work depending on the fragrance. Really short lasting freshies won't work as well though, you'll need some heavier notes that naturally hold longer to get the whole day of performance. A beautiful example would be Executive Man natural deodorant by Stirling Soap Co. paired with Creed Aventus, complimentary is the best. Unscented deodorant is your next best option.

any suggestions for lotion brand?

Always be smelling

KY...
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by GioB89 View Post
    any suggestions for lotion brand?
    Probably any unscented lotion you can find at your drugstore would do the trick.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Probably any unscented lotion you can find at your drugstore would do the trick.
    thing is that unscented sometimes means that there is no additional components to give specific scent, it does not mean that id does have scent from it base ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    KY...
    KY is water based so will evaporate too quickly on the skin.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by emilking View Post
    I see.

the molecules release as they break down. I always wondered if you could speed this with peroxide, increasing projection.