Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Default New from Dame Perfumery: Sky Father

I've been on the hunt for a fantastic citrus with a smooth base, so I ordered a sample of Citrus Man from Dame Perfumery, and in the package was also a sample of something I'd never heard of called Sky Father.

It's kind of great!

Sky Father? I'm not crazy about the name, and the scent smells nothing like the name implies, so don't let that fool you. Father? Maybe, but I get no sky here. Instead, I get a really nice Sandalwood/lavendar/cinnamon scent with some florals and some citrus and some this and some that. It's complex but also unified nicely into what sort of smells like a white version of Dark Horse. I don't know why I get a sense of whiteness, but Sky Father gives me the impression of white woods.

I haven't spent enough time with it for a review, but if you're a fan of Dame Perfumery, definitely check this one out. I like that they sell 5ml samples. If you're not familiar with their work, I'd also recommend New Musk Man, because it's fantastic! Dark Horse and Black Flower Mexican Vanilla are quite good too.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Nio
    APOM
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Original Vetiver
    Aqua Celestia
    Aqua Universalis
    Millesime Imperial
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Bergamote Soleil

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: New from Dame Perfumery: Sky Father

Appreciate the info on this new scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I just received a postcard from Dame Perfumery about this fragrance. Sounds interesting. I will certainly be looking to give this a try.

I am very impressed with this house - some very nice scents, while still being somewhat original. Agree about New Musk Man and Black Flower Mexican Vanilla - very nice indeed.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Sky Father? I'm not crazy about the name
    Me neither! Couldn't be much cheesier, if you ask me. I saw it today when I visited the Dame website - once again debating a sample of Dark Horse (to compare to Micallef Gaiac). I get that they have Earth Mother, and I've spent some time in AZ and experienced the SW peyote hippies myself, but Sky Father just seems like #78 on a list of 100 potential names.

I can't say I think "Chocolate Man" is great either. Sounds like what a 4 year old wants to be for Halloween, then the parents get concerned about the racial connotations and nix the idea.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

My sample of Sky Father is maybe .7ml (dab), but I may have to buy a 5ml sample because I'm liking this one a lot. So far, it's either my favorite or second favorite by Dame. I've tried the majority of their lineup. I also really like New Musk Man, though I do wish it was perhaps a bit more manly. I picked up a 5ml of Citrus Man in hopes it would be New Musk Man, but with citrus instead of plum. No such luck. Citrus Man was just ok, but then again, New Musk Man sets the bar pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Me neither! Couldn't be much cheesier, if you ask me. I saw it today when I visited the Dame website - once again debating a sample of Dark Horse (to compare to Micallef Gaiac). I get that they have Earth Mother, and I've spent some time in AZ and experienced the SW peyote hippies myself, but Sky Father just seems like #78 on a list of 100 potential names.
    I know, right? Lolz. Ah well. If you want to do a sample swap, PM me. I have samples of lots of Dame stuff, including Dark Horse.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 27th February 2017 at 12:16 AM.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Nio
    APOM
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Original Vetiver
    Aqua Celestia
    Aqua Universalis
    Millesime Imperial
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Bergamote Soleil

Blog Entries

Nice to hear about this house - I knew absolutely nothing!!!
    Currently wearing: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

My immediate thought about the name was
    Sky daddy - Euphemism or derogatory name for for god
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

I also am very impressed with this house. New musk man is awesome and I also recieved the postcard for Sky Father. Thanks for your thoughts on this one, I need to order a sample now...

Thanks for the info!

It's my SOTD. I love it. Bought a full bottle and it's my first purchase of 2017.

I could go on and on about Dame Perfumery and how great a company it is (but I already have!).
    Last edited by Buysblind; 27th February 2017 at 06:52 PM.

Also got a sample, which I wore today. Decided to spring for a bottle. I also like the Black Flower Mexican Vanilla and Dark Horse and have a few more samples to try. Did not care for the Chocolate Man, and Citrus Man was okay but somewhat uninspiring to me. Here was my take on Sky Father:

Opens smelling like a roll of Necco wafers - with extra clove and cinnamon wafers and missing the chocolate ones - and evolves into a clove infused Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree. Every one of those smell sublime, and the combo is like the chocolate and peanut butter of Reese's peanut butter cups - perfect synergy.
    Currently wearing: Feeling Man by Jil Sander

Got a sample with my purchase of New Musk Man. Soapy floral with a light citrus background. Pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Sky Father? I'm not crazy about the name, and the scent smells nothing like the name implies, so don't let that fool you. Father? Maybe, but I get no sky here.
    I imagine Sky Father is a reference to Native American spiritual beliefs, based on the graphic design and the house being based in Arizona. I wouldn't take the name too literally. I have a sample that I'll try soon.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 Poudré by Chanel

Don't suppose anyone has tried the roller-ball perfumes (10ml) from this house? Or the New Musk/Chocolate perfume oils?
    I still don't know who Alice is...

Basenotes Plus

Excited to try this. I put on New Musk Man with a couple other samples this morning then did that whole "Which one of these is giving off that great smell?" Turned out to be the NMM, which I wasn't that into the first time I sampled. SOTD now and I think I'm liking it better than Dark Horse (which I do find to be very similar to Gaiac, if maybe a tiny bit sweeter).