Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 122

Thread: Sorry

  1. #61

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    16,982
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Sorry

    Grant, my heart goes out to you & l thank you for your honesty.

    l have to say though that l have missed the forums terribly over the last week. For me basenotes is therapy, & participating here is one of the highlights of my day. Sorry if this makes me sound sad, but life just isn't the same without it.

    l can't help thinking that there must be another way. l completely understand the need for control, but there is no shame in accepting help when times are desperate. There have been many offers of help here, both today & on previous occasions. Please consider accepting this help & delegate some tasks to those you trust, l beg of you.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

  2. #62
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Sorry

    Grant might need a lead moderator to take over, and to put a firewall between himself and the forums.

  3. #63
    Dependent Mountainbikesandwatches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Midwest, United States
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Sorry

    We love you Grant. We love Basenotes. Take time for yourself. If you remember when you quit a regular job to do Basenotes full time, you did so for yourself. So plan time for yourself, take time for yourself, work for yourself but that must allow you to live for yourself. Life is not work, work is simply a part of life. Live !

  4. #64

    Default Re: Sorry

    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read my post and / or respond. I'll try and answer all the questions and comments tomorrow.

    Thank you x

  5. #65

    Default Re: Sorry

    We are all your smelly pals and we like you as you are. We'll all help you push this cart along when the pedals aren't working. xxxx
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

    Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

    My Tincture list

    A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

  6. #66
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,898
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Sorry

    ((Grant))

    I'm not on here nearly as much as I used to be but I just restored my lapsed membership.

    Please take care of yourself. When you need a break, take a break. You, your health, and your kids are all more important than the forum.

  7. #67
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,696
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Sorry

    Wishing you all the best Grant, this site has brought me a lot of joy.

  8. #68
    Basenotes Plus

    CleverUsername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Sorry

    Glad to see you back at it, Grant. I love this place and learned everything I know about fragrance right here. This place is the center of the fragrance community for me and always will be. I am still very interested in the pending Basenotes Plus promotion I had drew up, and would like to hammer out the details with you sometime down the road when you're ready. I think it would be a fantastic way to generate a serious boost in revenue here. You could use it to invest and maintain the place, and most importantly use towards consignment and labor to lighten the load on yourself. Maybe even take a nice vacation! NO RUSH, just get back to me when you're settled back in.

    For all else--I want to buy you Basenotes Plus! Will provide details when they're all hammered out.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

  9. #69
    Basenotes Plus
    DanHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,569

    Default Re: Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by CleverUsername View Post
    Glad to see you back at it, Grant. I love this place and learned everything I know about fragrance right here. This place is the center of the fragrance community for me and always will be. I am still very interested in the pending Basenotes Plus promotion I had drew up, and would like to hammer out the details with you sometime down the road when you're ready. I think it would be a fantastic way to generate a serious boost in revenue here. You could use it to invest and maintain the place, and most importantly use towards consignment and labor to lighten the load on yourself. Maybe even take a nice vacation! NO RUSH, just get back to me when you're settled back in.

    For all else--I want to buy you Basenotes Plus! Will provide details when they're all hammered out.

    I would have reupped Basenotes Plus but was never reminded (I know, I'm lazy). Could be a good source of revenue with a small change..

    Thanks Grant for all you do..

  10. #70

    Default Re: Sorry

    I don't have much more to add Grant. I' m just so sorry that something that you started with bravery and passion and optimism has become such an overwhelmimg monster, and precisely because you have made it such a success! Please don't allow it to overwhelm you though. Take on the suggestions that have been made here; delegate, collaborate, share, sell. There are always options, but it's hard to believe that when you are overwhelmed. Take Care.

  11. #71
    Dependent
    techt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    4,314

    Default Re: Sorry

    Time to delegate dude, share the burden.
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

  12. #72

    Default Re: Sorry

    But you didn't hide this time. You acted in your best interest. This is surely a good sign. Continue to look after yourself - whatever it takes. And thanks for blooming well everything.

  13. #73
    Dependent yarn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    God's own Country - Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: Sorry

    Without knowing and understanding the inner workings of a website I am not even going to offer up any half-cocked advice. It is just a shame to see someone struggling with something so I hope Grant can work out the issues
    Last edited by yarn; 8th March 2017 at 02:02 PM.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Sorry

    Get well (soon) !

  15. #75

    Default Re: Sorry

    Love ya Grant. I've walked similar roads. Delegate to people you trust and let go a bit if you can. I had to and it has worked out beautifully. You have created a wonderful site here, but if forced, we will all survive without it. You don't have to feel burdened by our needs and preferences. I will pray for God to give you peace and wisdom.

  16. #76
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,979

    Default Re: Sorry

    I appreciate your honesty, Grant. It means a lot.

    I don't know exactly what the delicate situation is concerning certain members but I believe we have some of the most sensible mods around here. Let them make the decision. IMO it's better to lose a few members than to lose one's mind agonising over them.

  17. #77
    Basenotes Junkie Miss Hesta Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: Sorry

    I've not been around here long, but you've built a great site that's a source of so much knowledge and a meeting place for so many people. Thanks for all the hard work you've, but it sure doesn't sound as though you need to be doing it alone.
    All the feels for what you're going through - I know first hand that there's times when the black dog seems to have moved himself in permanently, but respite will come. For now, be buoyed by the care of all the people whose good wishes have been posted here.
    I have no skils which may be useful (some may read my olfactory ruminations and agree with that ), but I'll upgrade to full membership in the hope that some extra funds will help with whatever happens next.
    Respect for speaking out about your struggles.
    Hold fast, dude - the storm will pass.
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso

  18. #78

    Default Re: Sorry

    Thanks you for your brave honesty, Grant. Sometimes we all take people for granted until
    they stop doing what they usually do for us. Then we realise how we would miss them if they
    weren't there at all.
    Nothing, I repeat, nothing - is more important than you getting your health back
    on track. I feel I have taken this wonderful site for granted (no pun intended!) and
    not having the forums for a while has made me realise what a wonderful resource you have
    provided for us perfume addicts over a long period of time. It is obvious that you have given
    more than you can cope with on your own and I totally understand that you need "time-out"
    for yourself and your family.
    If you decide to carry it on, in whatever form (pruned down if necessary) then we will support
    you all the way. Let us know how we can lighten the load and get you back to your old self again.

    I respect and thank you for all that you have done. Hang on in there and don't ever feel you have let
    anybody down.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: White Musk by Body Shop

  19. #79

    Default Re: Sorry

    Dear Grant, I am so impressed with your candour about your health issues. Anyone can fall ill at anytime, and its hubris to think otherwise.

    We are all human, after all.

    Hugs, Primrose
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

    She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

    "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26125293.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26125293.jpg"> Hypnôse by Lancôme</a></div>

  20. #80
    Basenotes Plus

    tdem1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    9,379

    Default Re: Sorry

    Grant, keeping you in my thoughts. Thank you for everything, especially for just being you.

    Love
    Terry
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

  21. #81

    Default Re: Sorry

    Grant, thank you for bringing us back! I wish I had something more useful to say. I've thought for a long time and I simply don't have any helpful words. You're a smart man and will find the right way forward for you. Just want to say how much I appreciate this place and am still blown away that this all came from a single person's mind. Whatever you decide to do, nothing can take away the fact that you alone created something incredibly brilliant. You deserve to feel so proud. Do take good care of yourself. xo
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

  22. #82
    Dependent
    Liz B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Sorry

    Your honesty about your illness has helped someone else. Count on it. Depression LIES, and one of the lies it tells us that everyone else deals with the hard stuff better or more easily.

    Thank you for your truth telling.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  23. #83

    Default Re: Sorry

    Edit/delete if this post is ill advised

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/435...senotes-family

    Hope this is taken the right way - Grant has created a community, grown and nurtured something, and hopefully that is a message that strengthens all.

    I'm one of the least suited to speaking to the positivity of this place, but focusing on the good it does for so many might be of comfort to some who need it. And we all need it at times.

  24. #84

  25. #85

    Default Re: Sorry

    Hugs to you! After going through the server change mess that happened those many years ago that must have caused you nothing but ulcers, the forum being down for a little bit is NOTHING! Take as many cleansing breaths and forum closings as you need, my dear. The loyal are here for you, always.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

  26. #86
    Basenotes Junkie Miss Hesta Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz B View Post
    Your honesty about your illness has helped someone else. Count on it. Depression LIES, and one of the lies it tells us that everyone else deals with the hard stuff better or more easily.

    Thank you for your truth telling.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    This.

    Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso

  27. #87
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,311

    Default Re: Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    There are a few users here who know web programming. I am sure they will help.
    I have PMed you earlier and am stating it again - I can volunteer a few hours of programming a month if you need.
    O.K. I noticed twice just recently that when I wasn't logged into BaseNotes, I had a couple strange events.
    This only happened when I looked at some information on the BaseNotes forums . Once again, I wasn't logged in.
    What it was were the same identical things. A message popped up stating that the government, or was it that
    google was watching you , click here to stop this from happening. Of course I didn't click it, (control alt delete).,
    clear cache, reset. I was looking up reference material on some fragrances to see what people thought. My first inlcanation
    was there is a problem with forums . A few days latter, forums was down. I didn't know who to report this too. I also
    didn't want to go off the deep end , specially if nothing was wrong. What should I do when this happens again ?
    Once again, this only happened twice and it was just recently. I haven't had any problems like that in years anywhere.
    I just became a BaseNotes Plus member today.
    BTW, how come we can't get the messages that are sent to us from BaseNotes encrypted ?
    Sorry about your problems Grant .

  28. #88
    Dependent Beach Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,317

    Default Re: Sorry

    Grant, You do a great job of running this site! You should do what you need to do for your own mental health. A few days of no forum is not that big a deal and from what I've read almost everyone here is very supportive of you. Take care.
    Every time I slip into the ocean, it's like going home. ~ Sylvia Earle

  29. #89
    Dependent cytherian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On a cliff overlooking Manhattan
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    O.K. I noticed twice just recently that when I wasn't logged into BaseNotes, I had a couple strange events.
    This only happened when I looked at some information on the BaseNotes forums . Once again, I wasn't logged in.
    What it was were the same identical things. A message popped up stating that the government, or was it that
    google was watching you , click here to stop this from happening. Of course I didn't click it, (control alt delete).,
    clear cache, reset. I was looking up reference material on some fragrances to see what people thought. My first inlcanation
    was there is a problem with forums . A few days latter, forums was down. I didn't know who to report this too. I also
    didn't want to go off the deep end , specially if nothing was wrong. What should I do when this happens again ?
    Once again, this only happened twice and it was just recently. I haven't had any problems like that in years anywhere.
    I just became a BaseNotes Plus member today.
    BTW, how come we can't get the messages that are sent to us from BaseNotes encrypted ?
    Sorry about your problems Grant .
    It sounds like you may have some adware or malware on your computer. I've not seen anything like this from Basenotes. I suggest running an anti-malware and/or anti-adware program. Sometimes ads are delivered to "spook" you into clicking on it without a malicious destination. I use Ghostery to help filter out ad noise. Without it, I could not use Basenotes. Some nasty ad scripting brings the browser UI to a crawl. This is why you should log in... because with Basenotes Plus, it's supposed to be an ad-free experience. That's a benefit of paid membership.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

  30. #90
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,311

    Default Re: Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    It sounds like you may have some adware or malware on your computer. I've not seen anything like this from Basenotes. I suggest running an anti-malware and/or anti-adware program. Sometimes ads are delivered to "spook" you into clicking on it without a malicious destination. I use Ghostery to help filter out ad noise. Without it, I could not use Basenotes. Some nasty ad scripting brings the browser UI to a crawl. This is why you should log in... because with Basenotes Plus, it's supposed to be an ad-free experience. That's a benefit of paid membership.
    I have used Ghostery before and good success. Right now I have a Chromebook and I have disabled my extensions.
    That way, when I clear cache and do a reset, any malware doesn't reconnect. Chromebook generally blocks any unwanted
    script . With a Chromebook ,there's no software to run. You are right though, I should check out Ghostery again. Thank you
    so much for your advice.




Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000