Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sorry

Default Re: Sorry

Having the forums close down for a few days is fine. I am amazed that some users here make it that big of a deal. The Directory was still open as well.

For the whiners : Watch a movie, pick up tennis, or maybe sample some fragrances.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Iím sorry that the forums have been unavailable for the last week...
    No need to apologize. It's all good. Would never want to be around the site if you were not around.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I don't really mind the forums being on and off, and completely understand your issues.

However, I'd rather have no forums than a forum with ham-fisted moderators with a dictatorial attitude locking down threads and banning members. One of the reasons why many have left the building - I plan to follow suit.

Good luck!
    None of that actually happens.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Hi Grant

I hope you can walk the paths that lead to self-love, so that the hyena of depression that feeds on the repressed emotions of unlived life goes on a massive diet. Taking care of yourself as best you can is the only thing that matters right now. Looking after yourself is the basis of looking after your children and then somewhere down the line it means the ability of tending this site. But you and your well-being must be at the center of this. Getting any help you can - medication, therapy, guided meditation is key. Whether you sell the site or bring in help - making use of the professionals here offering their expertise, you can make choices that help you regain your life - and you're probably doing it already, but we all know the path is not smooth. If every you need more helping hands, you are welcome in our hearts.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I would have reupped Basenotes Plus but was never reminded (I know, I'm lazy). Could be a good source of revenue with a small change..

Thanks Grant for all you do..
    Just re-joined BNPlus! Gotta bump up those funds for you Grant!

Basenotes Plus

I have suffered anxiety for over 15 years! Though I have never been depressive, I have had very severe anxiety episodes during this time, often checked into the hospital. So I support Grant 100%, as I also suffer from mental disorder I know just how hard it is to overcome a lot of things, and most of the time things are easier said than done.

I also want you to know Grant, that this forum and hobby in general have helped me a great deal with my disorder. I often find salvage on this forum when dealing with my illness and if often helps. So you don't know how much we really appreciate your efforts in keeping this major task running.

Lastly, I've worked in the IT industry for over 12 years! Though web isn't currently my specialty I'd be glad to help you in anyway possible, feel free to reach out to me any time!
    Last edited by HackerX; 10th March 2017 at 07:35 PM.
    Current top 5:
    1. Sospiro Vivace
    2. SHL Generation Homme
    3. ELDO Rien
    4. Brioni EDT
    5. FM French Lover

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    Just re-joined BNPlus! Gotta bump up those funds for you Grant!
    Howdy Hi.I just joined the Plus,and I was wondering how to turn off the adds .

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    If you log off and then on again, does it help?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    You need Settings, then General Settings, then in the Log-in & Privacy section check 'no' under Show ads? Or have you done that and it's not working?
    Currently wearing: L'¬me soeur by Divine

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=furrypine;4075938]If you log off and then on again, does it help?[/QUOTEI
    I needed to click General Settings, and then the I could change it.
    Thank you.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    You need Settings, then General Settings, then in the Log-in & Privacy section check 'no' under Show ads? Or have you done that and it's not working?
    Got it. General Settings.
    Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Hi Grant

I hope you can walk the paths that lead to self-love, so that the hyena of depression that feeds on the repressed emotions of unlived life goes on a massive diet. Taking care of yourself as best you can is the only thing that matters right now. Looking after yourself is the basis of looking after your children and then somewhere down the line it means the ability of tending this site. But you and your well-being must be at the center of this. Getting any help you can - medication, therapy, guided meditation is key. Whether you sell the site or bring in help - making use of the professionals here offering their expertise, you can make choices that help you regain your life - and you're probably doing it already, but we all know the path is not smooth. If every you need more helping hands, you are welcome in our hearts.
    Thank you - great post with wonderful healing words.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I hope you can find some peace of mind, Grant.

Change is the only constant in life, you will be able to find happiness.
    I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by Chetopa View Post
    Well said. This is not only the best and most informed site but it is also a community/family/therapist/school and I think a lot of us have taken for granted the amount of time and effort Grant and other moderators put in while we enjoy the ride for free, myself included. I won't anymore and will be purchasing a membership soon. As Bavard mentioned, the site is also therapeutic for some. For me personally, I honestly think it's what has kept me out of bars and sober for over a year. I'd rather come here and learn something than sit in a meeting. It works. So thank you Grant. Reach out, we will help.
    Just activated my membership, too. Welcome back, Grant. I applaud your courage and honesty. In their absence, I realized how much the forums mean to me, and how much therapy they provide.
    "Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once.
    A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth."
    -Diane Ackerman
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    In their absence, I realized how much the forums mean to me, and how much therapy they provide.
    Yes +1.....getting away, by yourself to the world of Basenotes, can be rather peaceful and calming at times. Missed it when it wasn't available.
    Basenotes sales: 18.21 Sweet Tobacco, Tiffany for Men Concentree, TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris fragrances, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I am sorry to hear things have been so difficult for you. Please accept the help offered to you to run the site and help relieve your burden, there is no reason to let this site damage your health. Wishing you all the best! I truly appreciate everything you do for us with this community. It is a good and valuable thing.

Grant are you ok??
    Let us know how you are getting on - worried about you!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Okay, I said in the thread I was going to reply Ďtomorrowí, which was ages ago. Itís now ages later.

Personal update. I went to the doctors the other week, which I should have done ages ago, and I went to the Jasmine Awards where two Basenotes articles won an award, which made me feel like what Iím doing is maybe worthwhile! Iím on some new meds which I donít think Iím taking too, so Iím going to sort that out and am going to try and arrange some therapy.

Iím going to try and respond to all the points and questions in the thread. Rather than quote people individually Iíve put things under headings, related to the themes of peoples comments.

Iíd like to also thank everyone on this thread, and those have had communicated privately with support and encouragement. Iím sorry Iíve not replied to everyone as yet, but I do appreciate it.

What actually is the problem I have with the site

Much of it is the same as what I said in this post here from nearly two years ago, where I attempted to shut down the market place and it didnít go down too well.
    Itís not technical stuff, so although I appreciate all the geeky people offering help with coding etc, thatís the bit of the site I really enjoy doing. Iíve ideas Iíve wanted to implement for ever, and just havenít had the time, as the day to day running of things takes over ó plus it doesnít help when mental health issues knock me out for weeks at a time.

Everything just gets overwhelming sometimes and I find it too hard

Delegation and asking for help

Iím indebted to the small team of moderators who volunteer their time and energy in helping me look after the forums. If it wasnít for them, the forums wouldnít be there.
    I appreciate the offers of help, but what I really need is the ability to pay people to do things. Itís nice that people want to volunteer to do things, but I wouldnít feel happy saying to people that volunteer, ĎI need this by Mondayí or whatever.

Selling the site

I donít want to sell the site. For one thing Iíd have no idea what to do. Plus, Iíd probably have to work for whoever bought it, doing the same thing as Iím doing now for a year or so. If it was a life changing amount of money, then Iíd certainly consider it, but based on the offers Iíve had in the past, it wonít be.

Not being able to turn the forums off if Iím in a Ďbad moodí

Although the way this was put wasnít the most nicest thing Iíve ever heard, I think the way Colin Malliard rephrased it was better.

A lot of people get enjoyment from this side, for whatever reason, and there isnít a failsafe in place for if I am not the happy Grant. (Or say if I get knocked over by a bus or something). There should be systems in place so that the site can still tick over, when I need a break

Money

Firstly, thank you to the people who have joined Basenotes Plus recently. It really is helpful.

What the site ideally needs is enough increased income so that I can hire some extra hands to help me to do the things that get me down, and I can concentrate on the making the site awesome.

Not sure how thatís going to work. The bottoms fallen out of the ad display market, and I donít really want to get into advertorial, or those annoying things that stop you from reading a page until youíve answered a question, but Iím probably going to have to put more ads on the site, and look at ways of making Basenotes Plus more appealing. (Maybe a monthly fee as well as yearly)

So, again. Iím sorry Iíve not been here. And Sorry to the mods for leaving it all with you the last month.

Iím going to ease myself back in by adding a bunch of stuff to the directory and writing some news articles and go from there.

Lovely to see you here with fighting talk Grant. We are all here for you (and us) so don't hesitate to ask. If membership needs to be a tad more then just say so, and/or add an additions button and people can volunteer to. It isn't much to ask for the pleasure we get from it, and it's voluntary anyway. Round up the figures, chuck in the paypal and see.
    Currently wearing: Une Rose Chyprťe by Tauer

Thanks so much for the details, Grant. While membership subscription certainly gives a momentary boost, I imagine the ad revenue is what brings in the most.

I must let you know that I was unable to use the site with my browser as-is, sometime last year. Suddenly pages started to respond VERY slowly, when scrolling. The lag was so bad, I couldn't stand it. It was exacerbated if I had multiple tabs open (one for each forum I was browsing, plus one for Inbox). I would have to close the browser to "refresh", but in little time it would happen again. And it happened in all browsers I use (Chrome, Torch, IE, and Opera). I attributed it to nefarious ad scripts being loaded. And I discovered that I was right, as I employed a browser plug-in that defeats them. Now I can use the site the way I used to, before that lag started happening.

But... I have to wonder if the plug-in blocking is costing you money. If the ad script is defeated, there isn't a "closure" of the activity and Basenotes doesn't get credit. Is there some way you can remedy that, such that we don't need to use ad blockers to use the site normally? Maybe there are only certain ads that are the culprits? If we could help you narrow those down, maybe eliminate those. That would certainly help with your ad revenue issue.

Also, if someone is a daily visitor to the site, do you make more money from them (presuming no ad blocker) in comparison to a BN Plus member who has ads turned off?
    Last edited by cytherian; 2nd April 2017 at 03:14 PM.
    Price Reductions! Click HERE for sales of: YSL KOUROS (vintage), CHANEL Antaeus A/S (vintage), Hermes Equipage, CHANEL Egoiste (vintage), Carven Vetiver, and many others!
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Good to have you back Grant. One suggestion I have is to consider vetting and engaging an individual or a firm with a good record of acquiring paid advertising for smaller online sites such as Basenotes. Perhaps they would work on a commission basis thus removing the onus of having to upfront their fee. I, and possibly other Basenotes Plus and general members, would be willing to allow seeing ads knowing it was contributing to your bottom line.
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Money

Firstly, thank you to the people who have joined Basenotes Plus recently. It really is helpful.

What the site ideally needs is enough increased income so that I can hire some extra hands to help me to do the things that get me down, and I can concentrate on the making the site awesome.

Not sure how that’s going to work. The bottoms fallen out of the ad display market, and I don’t really want to get into advertorial, or those annoying things that stop you from reading a page until you’ve answered a question, but I’m probably going to have to put more ads on the site, and look at ways of making Basenotes Plus more appealing. (Maybe a monthly fee as well as yearly)
    My suggestion would be to add a donate button for now (till you figure out how to make BNPlus more rewarding). There are times when I use a site and would like to send them some money. Sometimes they have a donate button (like Motherjones.com) which I would use to give $10 but some sites don't have cheap subscription or donate button (like nytimes) and so there is no way to give $10 to them.
    I think having a donate button will increase revenue. Many basenoter would chip in $5 or $10 every now and then.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 3rd April 2017 at 01:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update Grant, it's good to see you tackling things. Hopefully if you take it one step at a time, it will all become more manageable for you.

Out of curiosity, l wonder how many more people would need to become Basenotes Plus members to make a significant difference to how you're able to run things? lt might help if we had a target to aim for, in the same way that Kickstarter campaigns or online petitions do.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Fantastic idea! I vouch to donate $200 as soon as the button is made.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    My suggestion would be to add a donate button for now (till you figure out how to make BNPlus more rewarding). There are times when I use a site and would like to send them some money. Sometimes they have a donate button (like Motherjones.com) which I would use to give $10 but some sites don't have cheap subscription or donate button (like nytimes) and so there is no way to give $10 to them.
    I think having a donate button will increase revenue. Many basenoter would chip in $5 or $10 every now and then.
    Currently wearing: Issara by Parfums Dusita

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Several other online forums have this option. Don't know how well it works for them, but I think it's a great idea as well.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Definitely add the "donate" button!

Grant, you are seriously awesome. Sure, some will snark, bitch and moan, but I would imagine they've never dealt with CLINICAL depression before - which is VERY different than being sad, or situationally depressed (not that either of those are easy either, but clinical Major Depressive Disorder is much MUCH more severe).

I love this site, and I'll do my best to brainstorm as to how to increase revenue.

Freed from BN Institution

What if all of the longtime or regular BNers switch over to BN Plus, would that be more than an enough to have a significant impact in revenue to help keep the site going?

I noticed that some of the BNers who've been around for many years have these 'teacups' listed near their username. I wonder if it's possible to revive this? Perhaps it could be in the form of showing a BNer has donated a certain amount of money. Thoughts?
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 4th April 2017 at 06:06 AM.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I noticed that some of the BNers who've been around for many years have these 'teacups' listed near their username. I wonder if it's possible to revive this? Perhaps it could be in the form of showing a BNer has donated a certain amount of money. Thoughts?
    I wouldn't like to see BNers stratified according to the amounts of money they've donated, but epapsiou certainly had a great idea about having a donation button on the site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I wouldn't like to see BNers stratified according to the amounts of money they've donated
    l agree.

And although donations may help in the short term, l have my doubts that they could provide a regular, reliable source of income. Making BN Plus more attractive may be the way to go.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l agree.

And although donations may help in the short term, l have my doubts that they could provide a regular, reliable source of income. Making BN Plus more attractive may be the way to go.
    Not when the subscription is only $30 a year. If there was not only a donation button, but some type of chart ranking how much a user has given over their lifetime as well as a chart with the most recent donations, this could drive people to want to donate so they could see their name. I know that doesn't sound very ethical but you'd be surprised how competitive people get when they want to be ranked.

At this point, $30 a year is just not going to make a difference compared to the people that truly want to donate their money to help this site. Users will go out and buy three Frederic Malle fragrances this weekend but refuse to help chip in $30 for a yearly membership. They're entitled to do what they want with their money but give the other people that actually want to donate more than $30 a chance to give instead of stressing over making the Plus membership better for the people that refuse to give a measly $30.

+ Reply to Thread