Code of Conduct

Thread: Chanel FOR MEN

Default Chanel FOR MEN

Wow. Incredible. While the forum was down I rumbled through my old boxes of scents and found one from high school era: Chanel For Men. It's marked as "Cologne" and in a splash bottle but the strength is clearly edt and not edc. "Cologne" surely belongs to the advertising needs of the early '80s as does the "For Men" designation where it's become known as pour homme today.

Wow this stuff is amazing. Hardly know how to describe it, but oakmoss, petit grain, vetiver, and simple yet beautiful citrus with incredible restraint. I just loved every moment I caught it wafting around me. Didn't want it to end. There must be 40ml left in the bottle so it will be some time before I'm out, but what a loss to our noses that this majestic stuff isn't available as this is anymore.

I also loved the splash design the bottle has too--a big hole yet not as big as the screw top. Not haphazard splashing, but splashing all the same. Kinda fun. I could go through life splashing this on every morning.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Chanel FOR MEN

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    There must be 40ml left in the bottle so it will be some time before I'm out
    Cherish what you have left!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What a lucky finding! Chanel pour monsieur/man etc is a marvel, and it costs a fortune on ebay. The current edt (not sold in the US) is good, but indeed not what it used to be.

cacio

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Chanel for Men Splash and Spray

Attachment 63160

I agree with the positive reviews!

Basenotes Plus

Chanel for Men aka Pour Monsieur is one of the Chanel Classics up there with Cuir de Russie, Bois des Ilses, No 5.
    You mention the Citrus, which is sublime compared to what is used in the Contemporary.
    Never mind the use of Quality Moss.
    I consider it above Egoiste in the Masculine Chanel's.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 9th March 2017 at 08:31 AM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

You can find vintage Pour Monsieur on eBay regularly and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, so stock up is my advice!

Congratulations for this wonderful scent and enjoy- had the opportunity to encounter and throughly test it a few times and it turned out a complexly fascinating but also gentlemanly understated classic of tasteful masculinity on each separate occasion

Found this old thread and figured I would post a pic of my new bottle that I got for dirt cheap! I have smelled the Chanel Pour Monsieur edt before and enjoyed it, smelled classy and refined. Would this bottle I just got be the previous/vintage version of that? The cap on the bottle was sealed tight and filled to the top. I am going to decant it into a sprayer and give it a full wearing tomm. But I rubbed some on my arm and I lOVE IT. I was worried about it being old and top notes might have been faded but I haven’t noticed that just by rubbing some on. I love it so far! And I have enough to last me for a long time.
    Thanks,02062731-3E16-4FF6-A54E-911BF4C37192.jpg90CD459E-E3AD-4251-A457-D07519617D90.jpg65506632-06F2-4A2E-8CDE-A6BCBA6D4908.jpg

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    I have smelled the Chanel Pour Monsieur edt before and enjoyed it, smelled classy and refined. Would this bottle I just got be the previous/vintage version of that?
    Yes. This is one of my favorites.