Code of Conduct

Default Santal Noble Is Available Again!

I reached out some time ago to MPG in the hopes that Santal Noble would be restocked, as it was quite difficult to find for a number of months. Moments ago, I received a response stating that Santal Noble is back in stock with minor changes - whether from the vintage or the most recent formulation, I couldn't say. I've only had the chance to sample what I believe to be the vintage, with oakmoss being a clear background note. For anyone interested, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the most recent formulation, whether it has changed since the first noted reformulation, and how this current version, if distinct from the reformulation, compares to the original. Santal Noble is in stock and available for purchase at the following link:

http://www.maitre-parfumeur-et-ganti...tal-noble.html

Default Re: Santal Noble Is Available Again!

This is one of those cases in which vintage vs. new is like touching and chatting to a real person vs. calling him on Skype. Couldnt' care less about any new version they may issue, Santal Noble stopped being relevant for me years ago, it's too flat and light (no surprise since it's ages there's no trace of real sandalwood in it...).
    Still hoping to secure an older bottle someday

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    This is one of those cases in which vintage vs. new is like touching and chatting to a real person vs. calling him on Skype. Couldnt' care less about any new version they may issue, Santal Noble stopped being relevant for me years ago, it's too flat and light (no surprise since it's ages there's no trace of real sandalwood in it...).
    Still hoping to secure an older bottle someday
    That's very unfortunate, as this is one of those fragrances that comes around on rare occasions only, and disappears just as quickly. Are there any similar alternatives you might recommend, in feel if not in scent?

It was long ago that they planned on reissuing it. Just a shame that the most recent reformulation was a complete balls up of the scent.
    Currently wearing: Sélection Verte by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    It was long ago that they planned on reissuing it. Just a shame that the most recent reformulation was a complete balls up of the scent.
    It was listed on their website for ages, but remained out of stock each time I'd checked.

I have to assume MPG's comments on "minor changes" are related to the most recent reformulation. I'll be waiting for a vintage to pop up, in that case.

So sad what's happened to the once great Santal Noble. My decant of the vintage is down to its final beautiful drops, and I don't want to use it up, so I have to restrict myself to sniffing the cap. That stuff has some gravitas: a baroque oriental, semi-gourmand sandalwood olfactory feast. At least I still have Bois des Iles for my sandalwood fix.

Still...we must preserve the precious.

gollum_395_394.jpg
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Frankly when MPG started to reformulate their fragrances and changed their flacons from 90ml. to 100ml. I was a bit skeptical at first, since the fragrance of subject is Santal Noble I will address that fragrance. I actually prefer the newer version(at that time) over the original. It may have lost a little of that spicy coffee note off the top, but I think it has gained more depth and a more pronounced sandalwood note on the bottom. As for me and perhaps you also I never purchased a fragrance for the top notes as they are fleeting notes anyway. My concern lies more in the heart and how it transitions into the bottom and the longevity of the notes therein which are soul of a fragrance. I am referencing the formulation directly following the original, if it has gone through several formulations that is the reformulation I am referencing. Just a view from the cheap seats.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Frankly when MPG started to reformulate their fragrances and changed their flacons from 90ml. to 100ml. I was a bit skeptical at first, since the fragrance of subject is Santal Noble I will address that fragrance. I actually prefer the newer version(at that time) over the original. It may have lost a little of that spicy coffee note off the top, but I think it has gained more depth and a more pronounced sandalwood note on the bottom. As for me and perhaps you also I never purchased a fragrance for the top notes as they are fleeting notes anyway. My concern lies more in the heart and how it transitions into the bottom and the longevity of the notes therein which are soul of a fragrance. I am referencing the formulation directly following the original, if it has gone through several formulations that is the reformulation I am referencing. Just a view from the cheap seats.
    That's exactly how I felt also. I used to own a vintage bottle of Santal Noble, the 90ml in the diamond cut bottle. Then I bought the 100ml new packaged bottle, I compared the 2 very thoroughly, though the differences were not very significant I did feel that the vintage had a very long-lasting spiciness about it, the new package was definitely a little less spicy, more creamy and woody and overall a little lighter than the original but still had solid performance. I was definitely in the minority when I said I actually preferred the new packaging, and it was a very hard decision (especially this is one of my favorite fragrances of all time) but I traded/sold my vintage bottle of Santal Noble, and I've never regretted it.
    Current top 5:
    1. Roja UAE
    2. Sospiro Vivace
    2. SHL Generation Homme
    3. ELDO Rien
    4. Brioni EDT
    5. FM French Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    That's exactly how I felt also. I used to own a vintage bottle of Santal Noble, the 90ml in the diamond cut bottle. Then I bought the 100ml new packaged bottle, I compared the 2 very thoroughly, though the differences were not very significant I did feel that the vintage had a very long-lasting spiciness about it, the new package was definitely a little less spicy, more creamy and woody and overall a little lighter than the original but still had solid performance. I was definitely in the minority when I said I actually preferred the new packaging, and it was a very hard decision (especially this is one of my favorite fragrances of all time) but I traded/sold my vintage bottle of Santal Noble, and I've never regretted it.
    You guys are turning my world upside down here! I've heard so much griping about the new version that I accepted my fate. I'll have to get an experimental decant of the new version. I'm actually halfway tempted to just spring for a bottle after reading your posts.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Good news