Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Any new babershop or nice old fashion fougere you have found lately??

Rive Gauche would be my #1 pick, but here are a few others.

Pinaud Clubman
    Woods of Windsor for Men
    Tabac Cologne
    Jockey Club by Caswell and Massey
    Grafton by Trufit and Hill
    Rugby by Royall
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Default Re: Any new babershop or nice old fashion fougere you have found lately??

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Have you tried Amouage's Bracken Man? I'm not personally recommending it as I still(!) haven't gotten my nose on it, but it's worth checking out. It shall be mine soon.
    Definitely worth checking out. Fougere, but definitely modern. Quite potent too.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post

Jicky is better in the opening with the animalics but smells synthetic and flat in dry down in a side by side comparison.
    lol
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Swap

Marc de la Morandiere Black is a fantastic barbershop scent with a great green twist to it. I think of it as a Le Male/Reflection Man with the absinthe vibe from Antidote.

Quote Originally Posted by calzim View Post
    lol
    I know it sounds crazy but I speak from personal experience. Yardley English Lavender was sublime until around 1950s. You forgot to highlight the side by side comparison part, which you can see below.

Everyone knows Jicky was the first fragrance with synthetic coumarin. These two fragrances are quite similar and refined, and maybe Guerlain might have used English Lavender as an inspiration for Jicky since it was created by Aime Guerlain when he had a crush on a English girl while living in London. Yardley English Lavender was the quintessential British fragrance of that era. Maybe Jicky was created to remind Aime Guerlain of how English Lavender smelled on his lovers skin. Who knows the real inspiration..All I know is to keep an open mind and judge each fragrance on its own merit rather than hype and marketing. I find English Lavender more for fragrance purists and Jicky more suited for fragrance enthusiasts.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Tradition; 18th March 2017 at 02:26 AM.

MDCI Barbier de Tanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Hi people.
    Have you discovered any new or old babershop /classic fougere fragrance that has not been discussed very much?
    I'm also a Sartorial/Rive Gauche PH fan (loved original Paco Rabanne PH but don't like the current formulation).
    Have you tried Penhaligon's English Fern? It's not very popular here on BN but I enjoy it immensely, esp in warmer temps. It's more of a conventional fougere as opposed to aromatics like Sartorial, Rive Gauche and Azzaro PH. I've heard a few others complain about the current formulation of EF (just as I complain about Paco) but I think it's a great fragrance for a barbershop/fougere fan.

++ for Boy very classy, smooth indeed with a real powdery barbershop vibe.
    I've been really wanting to try L'Art de la Guerre.
    +++ Special for Gentlemen but Idk if the current one is as good as the vintage I have but from what I read it could be.
    Sartorial is very good but I can't stand Invasions Barbares,
    Also Tsar I love

Quote Originally Posted by fishercb View Post
    MDCI Barbier de Tanger.
    this. Smells fairly old school and classic barber shop on me, but it smells much more complex and floral on my friend. worth checking out!

Masculin Pluriel, but I haven't tried it yet. Sr. N.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Fougere Royal might be worth a look for you.

Maybe a more modern Babershop? Aqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza. Or regular Colonia.

If you want a babershop wi a strong oakmoss/peat drydown try Fragrances of Ireland - Patrick (smells basically identical to Great Jones but much lower cost).

if you can find Penhaligons Racquets is the best barbershop of the world.
    other options:

Great Jones
    Jockey Club C&M

and Creed Orange Spice have a potent barbershop aura.
    ¿

A few:

Sartorial
    New York Intense

They're not exactly new, but I didn't start wearing them until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Roger & Gallet L'Homme is pretty great, either in vintage or the modern version. Similar to Azzaro or Paco Rabanne, but better than either modern version of those.
    +1 on this. Also look out for Castle Forbes 1445. Might be hard to find in some areas, but easy to get online. Quite popular with the wet shaving community.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If you want a babershop wi a strong oakmoss/peat drydown try Fragrances of Ireland - Patrick (smells basically identical to Great Jones but much lower cost).
    +1.... Patrick is a very good under the radar Fougere for a afforable price. Very nice!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

I stumbled upon Tommy Hilfiger TH Bold for men as a nice and inexpensive fougere although I prefer Azzaro and Rive.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

+1 HdP 1725

MFK Pluriel is also nice although maybe a little too smooth in the middle.

I'm putting Azzaro L'Eau on my list to sample.

Nice thread!
    Last edited by DanHD; 18th March 2017 at 03:14 PM.

I might be in the minority but I get a light barbershop scent out of the new Prada L'homme.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1.... Patrick is a very good under the radar Fougere for a afforable price. Very nice!
    Glad to see Patrick getting some attention....one of my personal favorites

Dhofar is a beauty by Xerjoff

Amouage Gold Man
    My strange scent association of the day
    Most get a feminine/baby powdery vibe but it reminds me of straight Talcum powder at a barbershop.
    Very masculine to my nose.
    I feel it opens with a very similar vibe as Tabac and gets more Antaeus as it dries down....

Just my weird take
    Last edited by Dandydude; 18th March 2017 at 11:21 PM.

I love the classics barbershop scents and find they hold up just fine today

Pinaud Clubman
    Old Spice
    Brut
    Tabac
    Last edited by Dandydude; 18th March 2017 at 11:21 PM.

You might like Lalique's L'insoumis. To my nose, it's a classic fougere with a modern twist. I have received many compliments in the short time I've owned a bottle. The bottle is killer btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Basehead View Post
    I might be in the minority but I get a light barbershop scent out of the new Prada L'homme.
    Smells more salon than barbershop
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Swap

Great thread…..I get an awesome barbershop vibe from Bois Du Portugal…..and it last all day on me…and then some.

...l'Eau du Caporal' by l'Artisan Parfumeur...!

Floid Vigoroso is an excellent barbershop aftershave that lasts a long while and costs next to nothing.

My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    I'm also a Sartorial/Rive Gauche PH fan (loved original Paco Rabanne PH but don't like the current formulation).
    Have you tried Penhaligon's English Fern? It's not very popular here on BN but I enjoy it immensely, esp in warmer temps. It's more of a conventional fougere as opposed to aromatics like Sartorial, Rive Gauche and Azzaro PH. I've heard a few others complain about the current formulation of EF (just as I complain about Paco) but I think it's a great fragrance for a barbershop/fougere fan.
    I've just blind ordered a bottle of this as it's hardly pricey... six quid for 200ml or something daft like that.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Cerruti's 1881 pour homme for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Floid Vigoroso is an excellent barbershop aftershave that lasts a long while and costs next to nothing.

It also feels great.....my favorite aftershave

Has anyone tried Uno by Grey Matter? It's supposedly a new rock star take on fougere.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford