Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Any new babershop or nice old fashion fougere you have found lately??

Hi people.
    Have you discovered any new or old babershop /classic fougere fragrance that has not been discussed very much?
    I bought Onyx by Azzaro the other day (blind) base on some of your reviews and ... its just ok. Any fragrance that has surprised you lately in that category?
    My two favorites right now are Sartorial and Paco Rabanne and Rive Gauche. Nothing really out there matches my idea of superb barbershop or classic fougere vibe.
    Thank you
    B
    The only easy day was yesterday

Default Re: Any new babershop or nice old fashion fougere you have found lately??

Perhaps Ginepro Nero by L`Erbolario- a quite recently released "neo barbershop", while not fully old fashioned, it takes some of the notes similar to the vetiver of the TDH line and gives them a barbershop spice (very clean, even astringent spiciness) and also a dark, almost earthy fougere-mossy twist.

Also, since Azzaro was mentioned, maybe also Azzaro pour Homme L`Eau- not just a lighter, sportier flanker of the classic, but in fact a quite classy traditional woody citrus with just an extra hint of modern, energetic freshness and zestiness.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 17th March 2017 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Any new babershop or nice old fashion fougere you have found lately??

both suggestions sound very interesting, thanks for sharing will check it out over the weekend.
    The only easy day was yesterday

On a luxury tip - Opus II

I tested Suffolk Lavender by Shay and Blue recently -- a very nice fougere

This barbershop angle is sort of strange -- the 'fougere' family was originally created for women !

Although there's no oakmoss in it, I think that Histoires de Parfums: 1726 is an interesting take on a fougere/barbershop fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Given that you have tried 3 of the best, I think your expectations from this category may not be met. You're not alone, the fougere category by its nature is austere and minimalist. Rarely does a fougere offer the sort of richness that can satisfy completely, but they can be classy precisely because of their understatement and formality.

I think Truefitt & Hill - Grafton is good for that sort of fragrance. Invasion barbare byt MDCI is pretty similar to Sartorial but I don't like any of them. My SOTD is ok, I guess, I think it is old school and it is Acqua di Parma - Colonia Essenza

I second Azzaro l'Eau--a wonderful scent both as a flanker and on its own. A go to for me.
    Striving still to Truth unknown

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another for Azzaro l'Eau.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Great thread idea as I'm also a big fan of the fresh, "barbershop" type scents, and appreciate these recommendations. Would it be redundant to have both Azzaro l'Eau and Azzaro Pour Homme Summer Edition? They seem similar and wondering if one is a better take on the same theme (lighter, fresher and more citrus-heavy iteration of the original) or if they're original enough to warrant having both.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

...you might try 'Special for Gentlemen' by Le Galion...
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Not new, but in case it has escaped your attention, I enjoy Eloge du traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange, which goes towards aromatic-woody notes.

At a more expensive price, Chanel Boy is well constructed and smooth, but it is a bit too smooth and sweetish and lacking the freshness of traditional fougeres.

cacio

Blog Entries

While on vacation I've been wearing a sample of Maison Margiela Replica "At The Barbershop" and I've really enjoyed it. I've seen it get panned by some but it really reminds me of the barbershop and lasts and projects on me. Not sure the price point is worth it but really enjoying it. Reminds me of my Dad shaving when I was young
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

**Taking "new" to mean new to me. Both are older releases.

Baie de Genièvre - Creed

Easily my favorite from the house and has a spicy/warm barbershop, aromatic fougere vibe. I have the older vintage formulation and one from 2003 - the vintage has a richer base but the newer one has a brighter, crisper top. I like them both, but some folks are "vintage or bust" about it.

M de Morabito - Pascal Morabito

CAVEAT: Has only barbershop elements. By no means is a straightforward barbershop nor fougere. Suggesting it due to "has not been discussed very much" and I think if more people who appreciate older scents tried it, more people would like it.

If I had to classify it, I'd call it an "animalic barbershop floriental". I put animalic first because civet features prominently but not wrecklessly. It's never talked about and I think it's fantastic, if you're in to that kind of style. The EDT is strong as all get out, and there is an AS version as well. Bigsly has a really informative review in the directory here, with a note pyramid I believe is official (and which makes it sound like a fresh fruity floral - it's not) and a pretty spot on description, the way I perceive it at least. He draws comparisons to Boss Number One (original Boss Cologne) which I've never tried and can't speak to, but it sounds like it has fougere and possibly barbershop qualities (lavender, herbs, oakmoss, etc.).
    Currently wearing: Rochas Lui by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by byrdjoel View Post
    Great thread idea as I'm also a big fan of the fresh, "barbershop" type scents, and appreciate these recommendations. Would it be redundant to have both Azzaro l'Eau and Azzaro Pour Homme Summer Edition? They seem similar and wondering if one is a better take on the same theme (lighter, fresher and more citrus-heavy iteration of the original) or if they're original enough to warrant having both.
    From a personal viewpoint alone, currently owning both, owning the Summer Edition is not redundant and could be also another inexpensive but good quality modern barbershop fragrance option worth considering.

Basenotes Plus

Roger & Gallet L'Homme is pretty great, either in vintage or the modern version. Similar to Azzaro or Paco Rabanne, but better than either modern version of those.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Roger & Gallet L'Homme is pretty great, either in vintage or the modern version. Similar to Azzaro or Paco Rabanne, but better than either modern version of those.
    I came here to say this. I haven't tried the modern version but the vintage is aahhh...

Versace - L'Homme - Old world smelling citrus barbershop.

Rania J - Lavende 44 - Lavender with a little spice seems like a fit for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJP View Post
    Rania J - Lavende 44 - Lavender with a little spice seems like a fit for this thread.
    I really need to get my nose on this! Looks so interesting.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by MattJP View Post
    Yes! I just picked up a bottle of this.

Big fan of Invasion Barbare here.

For something in an anisic fougere, 1726 and perhaps Yohji Homme may satisfy.

For a more old school barbershop, you may want to consider Brooks Brothers 1818.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

What I'm wearing:

1. Lagerfeld Cologne (vintage)
    2. Annick Goutal Sables
    3. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    4. Balenciaga Le Dix
    5. Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare
    6. Chanel Egoiste (vintage)
    Currently wearing: Le Dix by Balenciaga

Great Jones is excellent

You might try Mazzolari Augusto for a relatively new barbershop entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I came here to say this. I haven't tried the modern version but the vintage is aahhh...

Owning and regularly using the current of this one as well and must admit and quite likely recommend it as a still good fougere and barbershop fragrance, even in its current/recent formulation (s).

+1 Bond No 9 Great Jones

And I will need to try Azzaro L'Eau

+1 Boy Chanel

And the re-release of Fougere Royal is quite well composed. The database says its from 1882, and technically I suppose that when it was originally launched - but the re-released version really reads as a high quality, straight-up, somewhat floral, modern fougere. It has a kind of shiny, sleek quality to it, which isn't a bad thing.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

User of Toilet Water

Have you tried Amouage's Bracken Man? I'm not personally recommending it as I still(!) haven't gotten my nose on it, but it's worth checking out. It shall be mine soon.

Try the vintage Yardley English Lavender Cologne. The vintage version is a soft, refined fougere and I like it's dry down better than vintage Jicky parfum.

Jicky is better in the opening with the animalics but smells synthetic and flat in dry down in a side by side comparison.

Fougere royale
    Invasion barbare.
    Roja dove scandal
    Amouage bracken man

Caron pour un homme isn't strictly a fougere but it is an old school straight up lavender and vanilla.

Fougere royale was the game changer for me. I have tried to find a better fougere but have failed.

+2

I find the dry down of GJ to be glorious. I love how (at least to my nose) it has little vanilla and floral touches.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    +1 Bond No 9 Great Jones

And I will need to try Azzaro L'Eau
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed