Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: March 2017 smelly game - transparent, light, summer, daywear perfume

Corps 1490 is incredibly strong. At too high a level it smells of burnt rubber, at the right solution is smells of Grapefruit. 0.1% or even 0.01% solutions are fine.

Default Re: March 2017 smelly game - transparent, light, summer, daywear perfume

wooznib?

Basenotes Member

Jennifer

10.0% concentration. Strength was good, opening with a bitter spicy top which could have been made more pleasant. It reminded me of Tuberose, with an Anise note (too much) and after a little while a strong dose of methyl Salicylate. It needed to be better balanced. It is too medicated. I bet this would make a good airfreshener as it was very top, and probably the excessive Methyl Salicylate would work better in the air. Not sure if this is transparent enough . The following day it was still fairly strong, but still too medicated. I give it 4.0

Hi David, What do you mean by medicated? As in disinfectant spray (terpineol) or arthritis cream (nutmeg). There is a tiny amt of methyl salicylate in the tuberose accord, so I'm surprised by the impact. Thanks for reviewing. J

Peru Balsam 2.1
    Cinnamic Alcohol 2.1
    Tonka ABS 6.3
    Methyl Diantilis 10.4
    Lilly of the Valley Accord 10.4
    Orange Flower Oil Accord 16.7
    Terpineol Alpha 14.6
    Tuberose Accord 10.4
    Bergamot Oil 10.4
    Lemon Oil 10.4
    Pink Peppercorn EO 3.5
    Nutmeg EO 1.7

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer I View Post
    Jennifer

10.0% concentration. Strength was good, opening with a bitter spicy top which could have been made more pleasant. It reminded me of Tuberose, with an Anise note (too much) and after a little while a strong dose of methyl Salicylate. It needed to be better balanced. It is too medicated. I bet this would make a good airfreshener as it was very top, and probably the excessive Methyl Salicylate would work better in the air. Not sure if this is transparent enough . The following day it was still fairly strong, but still too medicated. I give it 4.0

Hi David, What do you mean by medicated? As in disinfectant spray (terpineol) or arthritis cream (nutmeg). There is a tiny amt of methyl salicylate in the tuberose accord, so I'm surprised by the impact. Thanks for reviewing. J

Peru Balsam 2.1
    Cinnamic Alcohol 2.1
    Tonka ABS 6.3
    Methyl Diantilis 10.4
    Lilly of the Valley Accord 10.4
    Orange Flower Oil Accord 16.7
    Terpineol Alpha 14.6
    Tuberose Accord 10.4
    Bergamot Oil 10.4
    Lemon Oil 10.4
    Pink Peppercorn EO 3.5
    Nutmeg EO 1.7
    This is the trouble with trying to describe odours. "Medicated", to me, meant Methyl Salicylate. I do not think Terpineol smells medicated ( to me it smells of Pine as in Pine household cleaners or, if pure, Lilac), whilst Nutmeg smells of Spice, and by association, custard tarts.

I don't know how "tiny" the amount of Methyl Salicylate, but I found that in your fragrance it was overwhelming. I have just re-dipped your fragrance and still find the Methyl Salicylate overwhelming. I'm really surprised you could not smell it. With just a little work, this could have been a very good fragrance and I would have given it a higher mark. As it stands, to me ( always my personal opinion) it is spoiled by the Methyl Salicylate. 10 times less would have been an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by bluescent View Post
    Thanks David. For that matter, you have centered on my feelings for the composition. What I wanted was just not a simple summery citrus but an equilibrated cobination of fruity-citrus notes and fresh green notes with some flower nuance too. I'm glad your judgment matches my expectations. If I had perhaps lowered the percentage of iso e super and ambroxan I would have obtained a more decisive effect, but at the expense of the transparency. I would like your possible comment.
    I prefer not to get into the details of the composition without first having the judgment of the other judge. But I still take advantage of your availability David to better understand my work

Quote Originally Posted by bluescent View Post
    I prefer not to get into the details of the composition without first having the judgment of the other judge. But I still take advantage of your availability David to better understand my work
    I must apologise but it seems I did not acknowledge your previous post. Not quite sure what else I can add to what I have already written. I did not smell much Citrus in your fragrance; some fruit and a lot of floral. I just thought it could have been a bit richer and more complex. Sorry but I am not sure what else you are expecting me to say.

Nothing else. I just wanted to say that iso e super and ambroxan in high percentage, in my opinion, dampened the notes making it a little flat in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Julian35

10.0% concentration. Strength OK, although it could have been stronger. I found this very chemical smelling (which I think means it is not well blended), with a fruity bitter solvent note. I do not think this is wearable. Too fruity/sticky for Summer. Gradually a Tea note was apparent which was an improvement. Adding more Bergamot, with something Green could have helped. Whilst this has potential I think it not yet right. It is too sticky sweet, and too chemical. The following day there was a weak floral musky smell. I give it 4.5
    Thank you David, once again, for taking the time to evaluate all the samples and give your thoughts. I know this takes a lot of time to do this, and it is appreciated. I was aiming for green and green tea. I will return with more questions.

wooznib?

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    wooznib?
    Anyone heard from him at all? I sent him a message well over a week ago asking if he had received my sample. Thus far, no reply. Hope everything's OK.

I would have hoped he would be letting everyone know his thoughts. After all he did agree to be a judge.

it's very hot in Orlando, I would not like some shark passing from there to meet Wooznib swimming

Not since his last post and he didn't answer my pm either. But he is still working, afaik, so has less time to spend on this game and he's doing it for free, let's not forget this. Still, it's nearly a month now and in his last post he stated, that he would need the rest of the week to get through...
    Maybe really something happened (jobwise, familywise or some illness). There are quite some circumstances in which I would understand if one doesn't pop in to give a short note. So let's not get mad (yet).
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)
    Currently wearing: Snuff by Elsa Schiaparelli

I've sent messages. I fear he isn't well. I hope things are ok.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Do you want me to give him a call and ask how he's doing?
    Write me a PM, if so, because I don't always check this thread...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Do you want me to give him a call and ask how he's doing?
    Write me a PM, if so, because I don't always check this thread...
    If you didn't mind doing so. This thread and game doesn't matter compared to someones health. I'll PM you too.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

My Tincture list

indeed mumsy, very empathic of you and if health is the issue, I am the last to mock this,
    but his last activity on this forum dates from july 10 ... (so until that date he was able to use a mouse and keyboard)
    10 days past Davids judgement, plenty of time post his findings, I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    indeed mumsy, very empathic of you and if health is the issue, I am the last to mock this,
    but his last activity on this forum dates from july 10 ... (so until that date he was able to use a mouse and keyboard)
    10 days past Davids judgement, plenty of time post his findings, I suppose
    Time to move on I say and consider this smelly game as finished.

... and start to plan one about incense? I find it challenging although I love this genre.
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    Time to move on I say and consider this smelly game as finished.
    Quite agree. Game, set and match over.....

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by NebelGeÓst View Post
    ... and start to plan one about incense? I find it challenging although I love this genre.
    Looking from outside- The points from David is so low, that the next task should be very simple in order to get more or the less positive evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Quite agree. Game, set and match over.....
    What a shame that Wooznib for whatever reason did not give his feedback. Rather than the game being over, I wonder if it would be useful if each one of group sent samples to one or two others in the group ( others near their locality would be helpful here) and posted their impressions of eachothers' and discussed it together? From an outsider point of view it would be interesting to hear more than one view on the entries, and it teaches me a lot when the group shares their process and struggles.

Just a suggestion of course, and maybe not all would think it a good idea, but anyway,thanks to all who participated for sharing. What a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Serg Ixygon View Post
    Looking from outside- The points from David is so low, that the next task should be very simple in order to get more or the less positive evaluation.
    Well, I'm not in to get as many as possible points, but to learn. I wouldn't send in something I already could tell what'll be critisised the most (and did so in the thread), if this was the case. And I surely would have picked a totally different theme.

Clare's suggestion is interesting. But two official judges should still be there to evaluate from a professional point of view.
    And there should be a kind of system behind the member judgements, so that all participants who would be interested to hear and give feedback from/to other members as well would get more or less the same amount of samples. I would appreciate it.

Just in case...

I know I'm not a Wooznib, nor Paul or David or any other of the pros... still, I would offer to be a substitute judge, if needed.
    Last edited by filousoph; 15th July 2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: *

Well I have to admit I am still sitting on all the samples from the last game. I haven't had time to divi them up yet to share. (Nor even smell them). I will very soon.

I can send David a box and stamp again like last time to retrieve the collection, and perhaps we can examine them. (Is that OK with you David?)

Quote Originally Posted by filousoph View Post
    Just in case...

I know I'm not a Wooznib, nor Paul or David or any other of the pros... still, I*would offer to be a substitute judge, if needed.
    Thank you. We can do a pass the parcel in two batches or something.
    Last edited by mumsy; 15th July 2017 at 04:07 PM.

My Tincture list

Well I have to admit I am still sitting on all the samples from the last game. I haven't had time to divi them up yet to share. (Nor even smell them). I will very soon.

Well, goodness, the last thing I meant was to give you more work to do! You are already super generous with your time.

No I meant more that if anyone in the game wanted more feedback, they could find someone else in the game who is within a reasonable postage distance, and see if they want to exchange samples from their own homes. Maybe the feedback could be given in private between sharers and shared on the forum if the receiver chooses to. I can see that if they are sent anonymously there is less chance of it being subjective, but I also feel that everyone here is fairly honest, and supportive, and it's always good to get in touch with other perfumers and get your heads together on a challenge.

I can send David a box and stamp again like last time to retrieve the collection, and perhaps we can examine them. (Is that OK with you David?)

Thank you. We can do a pass the parcel in two batches or something.
    What do you mean "the last game"? If you mean the game before this one then the samples you have are the samples you asked me to send to you, why would I want them back again? I have all the samples I received for this game. Not sure what is happening now. All I know is that I promised to judge this game, and I did. Wooznib promised to judge this game, and, so far, didn't.

I had to spend some time getting the last lot of samples to you mumsy, and spend mr money on postage. not sure that I am prepared to do the same again.

What do you mean "the last game"? If you mean the game before this one then the samples you have are the samples you asked me to send to you, why would I want them back again? I have all the samples I received for this game. Not sure what is happening now. All I know is that I promised to judge this game, and I did. Wooznib promised to judge this game, and, so far, didn't.

I had to spend some time getting the last lot of samples to you mumsy, and spend mr money on postage. not sure that I am prepared to do the same again.

Maybe, as she seems so keen, Clare 30 should be a judge if there is another game. No idea if she has the experience though.

Maybe, as she seems so keen, Clare 30 should be a judge if there is another game. No idea if she has the experience though.
    I'm extremely keen on lovely games and learning from people, and it has been a great learning experience to keep a track of this thread and I felt a bit bad for the people who took part and Mumsy as an organiser when i saw the posts about Wooznib not giving his feedback, so clearly rather overstepped myself and gave a suggestion that I thoguht might help. That was all. I am not fit to sweep your shadow as a judge, David, and might as well be an embroiderer when it comes to perfume. I'll keep respectfully quiet from now on.

Basenotes Plus

I called and left a message, Jim replied by email, he's been afflicted with some severe health issues, says he has been on an extended stay away from home, he hopes to be home next week....
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast