Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: March 2017 smelly game - transparent, light, summer, daywear perfume

Quote Originally Posted by Clare30 View Post
    I'm extremely keen on lovely games and learning from people, and it has been a great learning experience to keep a track of this thread and I felt a bit bad for the people who took part and Mumsy as an organiser when i saw the posts about Wooznib not giving his feedback, so clearly rather overstepped myself and gave a suggestion that I thoguht might help. That was all. I am not fit to sweep your shadow as a judge, David, and might as well be an embroiderer when it comes to perfume. I'll keep respectfully quiet from now on.
    Ok love, no need to go OTT
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 15th July 2017 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: March 2017 smelly game - transparent, light, summer, daywear perfume

[QUOTE=David Ruskin;4161157]Ok love, no need to go OTT.

Last game is last game. I just haven't had the time yet to divi the samples amongst the previous players just for each persons own interest. A pre-arranged matter and not anything prompted by this thread. I'll do it when I get to it.

@David ...re. spent samples for this game. I could collect them if it's easier and you don't mind me dropping by. My sister isn't far away and it's kids hols. The last batch had a huge sticking out bottle which caused a problem with my tiny box I seem to remember. I can easily amend any out of pocketness one smelly way or another.

@PK. Thanks for checking. I had my suspicions it wasn't good news.

@Wooznib. Please get better and don't worry about smellies until you are completely well again.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Last game is last game. I just haven't had the time yet to divi the samples amongst the previous players just for each persons own interest. A pre-arranged matter and not anything prompted by this thread. I'll do it when I get to it.

@David ...re. spent samples for this game. I could collect them if it's easier and you don't mind me dropping by. My sister isn't far away and it's kids hols. The last batch had a huge sticking out bottle which caused a problem with my tiny box I seem to remember. I can easily amend any out of pocketness one smelly way or another.

@PK. Thanks for checking. I had my suspicions it wasn't good news.

@Wooznib. Please get better and don't worry about smellies until you are completely well again.
    If you are so eager to get the samples then come over, of course. Sorry to sound such a grump but I did spend a great deal of time judging this and previous games, and I did take some trouble ( and spent some money) getting the last lot of samples to you. Finding out that, since then, you have not done anything with them irritates somewhat. The samples from this game are in an envelope but many of the identifying labels have probably gone astray. Anyway you are welcome to them. Let me know when you want to visit and I will tell you if it is convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    If you are so eager to get the samples then come over, of course. Sorry to sound such a grump but I did spend a great deal of time judging this and previous games, and I did take some trouble ( and spent some money) getting the last lot of samples to you. Finding out that, since then, you have not done anything with them irritates somewhat. The samples from this game are in an envelope but many of the identifying labels have probably gone astray. Anyway you are welcome to them. Let me know when you want to visit and I will tell you if it is convenient.
    I'm sorry to cause irritation too. Just because I haven't yet does not negate any work you've done though. Smelling them afterwards is a pleasant addition to the game and not a part. If anything it values the work done even more, not less. I'm afraid there are four crumbly ancients here requiring my attention increasingly more than my hobbies. If you wouldn't mind holding onto them then I would love to fetch them. The renumeration part is easy to solve. The annoyance I shall have to make up for.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I'm sorry to cause irritation too. Just because I haven't yet does not negate any work you've done though. Smelling them afterwards is a pleasant addition to the game and not a part. If anything it values the work done even more, not less. I'm afraid there are four crumbly ancients here requiring my attention increasingly more than my hobbies. If you wouldn't mind holding onto them then I would love to fetch them. The renumeration part is easy to solve. The annoyance I shall have to make up for.
    I was not going to throw them away. Whenever you have the time, come over. I certainly do not expect or want any renumeration.

so, … Still nothing from wooznib …

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    so, … Still nothing from wooznib …
    Nope. Not promising, so I really pray and hope it isn't something horrid. We'll forgive any excuse for some news.

With kids on summer hols, I've been much too busy with home life to pay anything but passing comment to perfume hobbies at all so please forgive my inattention too. I get a tiny early window of time before anyone gets up.
    Last edited by mumsy; 7th August 2017 at 08:07 AM.

My Tincture list

as for something horrid …
    he was on the forum 4th of august …

*sigh*

as long as I don't know anything, why there is no reply from him (at all),
    I keep stirring the cauldron
    Last edited by Godmu; 7th August 2017 at 09:08 AM.

:-(
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)
    Currently wearing: Snuff by Elsa Schiaparelli

NebelGeist are you still wanting to organize a smelly game based on an incense fragrance?

I didn't want to bring me in as the organiser, just made a suggestion for the new theme. I'm affraid I will be pretty busy after my holidays and writing in English takes me longer as a non native speaker, and there would be a lot of writing (back- and onstage) I suppose.
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)

Quote Originally Posted by filousoph View Post
    Just in case...

I know I'm not a Wooznib, nor Paul or David or any other of the pros... still, I would offer to be a substitute judge, if needed.
    We should have gone with you... at least we would have a response.. LOL

so … what's next?
    A new game?
    An incense game, as suggested?

If noone else is willed to do it, I would host the new smelling game.
    As it is not the first time a judge was late or didn't respond at all, I would like to have 3 judges again this time. I would ask David, if he would be our stable judge again, and would like to invite filousoph to join, if he still likes to. This means, if Switzerland doesn't have restrictions on shipping alcoholic solutions.
    The third judge should be from the USA then, so shipping costs are not to unfair for participants from overseas.
    Theme would be incense.
    If everyone who wanted to participate would be okay with this.

If there would be enough positive feedback in this thread I would start the pre-discussion thread by the end of the week or next week.
    I'd like to have a seperate thread for the evaluations and explicit questions on formulas, e.g. in case someone needs a bit of help to solve certain problems. It would be more easily understandable and more helpful for others, if everthing directly linked to the compositions would be seperated from all other discussions, in my opinion at least. Our discussion threads tend to get a bit ... longer.

I am undecided whether or not I wish to be a judge this time. If you can ensure reliable judges, and if you can ensure that everyone takes part and follows the rules, and accepts the judges comments, then I will think about it. I was the only judge in the last game, which did not seem to be very well organised. It was not fair on me or the participants, and I hope that if there is a next time, it will be better.

For a start, I do not have a clue what is meant by "Incense" as a theme. Is it a fragrance based on Olibanum (used in churches throughout the world ) like Avignon? Or, is it any fragrance that people consider to be suitable for use in a Joss Stick or other type of smouldering air fragrancing product? The later option provides a much greater source of inspiration (almost a pun) but because it is so vague is open to problems in judging.

Sorry to ramble. Let us all know what people think.

I understand and respect your concerns. The reason why I'd like to have three judges is, I can't assure that all judges who agreed to evaluate the samples from the participants will really post their thoughts (in time or at all). But with three judges the chance is higher to get at least two evaluations. So honestly I came up with the suggestion to have three judges honestly because I almost expect one judge won't be in time or respond at all again. So no, I can't assure this. I am trying to compensate a judge who drops out by having one more judge.

For participants, who ask, debate, explain their methods and thoughts after judgements were posted, no I can't assure you that there won't be any discussions or questions. I am not a mod, so I couldn't remove any posts. And usually I give an explanation on what I thought and what substances I have used myself. Discussing results to me is part of the learning effect of such a game, and after all these games are for learning, not for competition. I understand that such discussions can be perceived as criticism by the judges, so all I can do as a host is remind participants to try to discusse results in a factual and friendly manner. And to remind both sides that many of the participants are no native English speakers, so postings can easily be perceived differently to how they were ment. E.g. I often have to google certain words or phrases and wonder what they may mean. abbreviations do not make it easier.
    On the other hand I use online translators to translate words from German to English, and often get different words to chose from, which do not always have the same meaning. So the sentence I'm posting may not be correct or may not make any sense, or even may be misleading.

Even after being honest to be not able to fulfil your preconditions, I hope you'd still join in. But would of course accept if you'd chose to deny.

As for the specifications of the theme, I wanted to post them in the discussion thread, if there would be interest for this new smelly game.
    But as you asked, I thought of a more abstract definition of incense. Frankincense/olibanum imo is a very narrow field. Incense in general can be various herbs, woods, spices and resins that can be heated/burned to release their scent through smoke in the air. In perfume to my understanding an incense accord therefor should at least bear a slight smokiness, to evoke the impression of this material being used as incense. For example, cedarwood is a common wood that's burned as incense. But just using a cedar accord or oil and say 'my perfume is a cedar incense perfume' would not fullfil the requirements.
    For existing examples, Comme de Garcon 2 Man does not smell of Olibanum to me, but falls in the category incense perfume, because one of the main accords is evocing the picture of some plant material being burned as incense.

I really hope you judge again, David.
    You're comment is always to the point, analytic and fair.
    You're the one we rely on.

And for a right interpretation of the theme, I think you'll get the idea after some discussion on the subject.

There is no need to feel treated unfair if other judges fail their task.
    It's the participants who need to feel let down.

Maybe some info for possible judges:
    This is not a simple job, you have to take your time, analyze, interpretate and translate into words.
    but … you get to smell a lot of (possible) nice fragrances

Thank you for your detailed reply NebelGeist. Having more than one judge is to be welcomed, and I understand your desire for three; makes sense. I am not concerned about discussion, as you rightly say that is probably one of the more important parts of "the game". I am not even concerned about criticism of my own judgements, although I would prefer them to be on an open forum and backed up with reasons why. I encourage open debate, so I think you may have slightly misunderstood me. Your explanation of what you understand "Incense" to mean, helps, a bit. I still think it is, maybe, too vague a term for everyone to fully understand; we shall see. Once you have a solid core of people who wish to participate, I will decide whether or not to be a judge again. How's that for now?

count me in

More specifications will be discussed (hopefully), once we agreed on the topic and start a new thread. I'm still at work, so I just could give a brief description what I intented with this 'incense' theme.Perhaps the participants and judges decide to narrow it down to woody and resinous incense scents only, which would still leave plenty of space to be creative. But I think this should be decided together with all people involved in this smelly game.

Maybe start a new thread now, explain what you want to do, wait until you have a group who are willing to participate and then start discussions to narrow down what will be required. Accept the fact that not everyone who says they want to take part, will, but try to get a good feeling of togetherness going so that everyone involved feels as though they are part of the team.

To send samples to the three different destination in the world cost more than 100$ ....

Super Member aestheticindustrialist's Avatar

I'd love to participate in a US-based trade, and happy to coordinate distribution if no one else is.
    Currently wearing: Cap Nťroli by NicolaÔ

Basenotes Plus

Maybe Aesthetic Industrialist and someone else would like to join me here in my new lab, (once done- we move in, in two weeks...) for a live sniff/crit broadcast...?
    ( Aesthetic Industrialist just visited here in my current lab for the second time last week.)

It would also seem proper to give a more thorough review as well, but a broadcast review might be a fun side of it...

I love incense scents, and would be a happy judge...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Super Member aestheticindustrialist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Maybe Aesthetic Industrialist and someone else would like to join me here in my new lab, (once done- we move in, in two weeks...) for a live sniff/crit broadcast...?
    ( Aesthetic Industrialist just visited here in my current lab for the second time last week.)

It would also seem proper to give a more thorough review as well, but a broadcast review might be a fun side of it...

I love incense scents, and would be a happy judge...

PK
    This would be fun! And yes, having been to the old lab, excited for Paul that he's getting an upgrade.
    Currently wearing: Cap Nťroli by NicolaÔ

Basenotes Junkie

Good for another game.
    Good for 3 (punctual) judges.
    Theme?Uhmm..
    For me, there are ,at least, two incense.
    1) "church incense" (nuance of boswelia,coniferan, earth/citrus/herbal/mushroom, etc,etc)
    2) "hippye's incense" (or "oriental incense", with nuances of sweet amber, sweet resins/honey, wood and roses/lavender,etc.etc.)

there are intermediate possibilities,also.
    But 1 and 2 are two very different scent and taste...

my two cents
    Last edited by Geco; 25th September 2017 at 07:16 PM.

I'm in.
    Can you start a new thread on this?

Just curious...Will the winning formula be posted?

Basenotes Plus

I promise to be punctual... :-)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.