Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: March 2017 smelly game - transparent, light, summer, daywear perfume

Well this game certainly is getting exciting... such a variety of ideas already.

(I've PM'd you about another judge David.)
    Currently wearing: Une Rose Chyprťe by Tauer

Default Re: March 2017 smelly game - transparent, light, summer, daywear perfume

Forgive me if this has been stated elsewhere (this is my first smelly games), but what are the physical requirements of the submission? By that I mean how much must we submit, should be package it in a spray bottle? etc

Dabbing sample vial would be enough. Can't say for other judges but David stated that it sould be enough perfume so he can dab in / applicate onto a smelling strip a few times, so 2ml is fairly enough.
    I'M not sure how a solid perfume would be evaluated, though? But so far nobody has mentioned to do one, just wondering because Mumsy mentioned, solds would be okay, too?
    "A small joke (admittedly a subject of debate) became an affair of state, a fart became a tsunami" (Oliver Kalkofe)
    Currently wearing: Al Sharquiah by Al Rehab

Quote Originally Posted by kleinkiwi View Post
    Forgive me if this has been stated elsewhere (this is my first smelly games), but what are the physical requirements of the submission? By that I mean how much must we submit, should be package it in a spray bottle? etc
    'Tis forgive me, for not making it clear. I shall post instruction at the top.

We normally allow 1-2mls per judge. I am negotiating another judge.

The best pot is the tiny mini dram bottles with the wide lids. They are easy to unscrew and easy to get a dipping strip into the top.
    Sprays are ok. The little tiny ones. They can spray onto a smelling strip.

The little vials with dabber wands are ok as long as the lids are easy to get off. Some are really hard. But they are not so easy to dab strips into.

I mentioned solid perfumes for choice, but you are right about an evaluation problem, they would have to be smelled from the tin presumably. I doubt any judge is actually going to want to wear these brews on skin so I'll take that option off.

It is possible to smear some solid perfume onto a smelling strip providing the sold perfume is soft enough. However, the solid base prevents a proper evaluation over time on a smelling strip; things take much longer to evaporate. I will not evaluate anything on skin, because if I did I would have to evaluate everything on skin. I try to make all things as equal as I can. If someone wishes to submit a sold fragrance I will evaluate it but I would prefer all fragrances to be liquid; ideally in the same carrier (ethanol) and at the same concentration. Concentration etc. is up to you but please tell me what the concentration is, and what the carrier is.

Just double checking, although the parameters are in the first post. There are no restrictions or expectations of materials in the formula. Correct?

None whatsoever in this game. Let nothing but imagination restrict anybody. Let's make the finest perfumes we can?

I would love to join!

Wonderful. Welcome in.

We have a lot of newer BN members in this game. Perhaps you've joined from somewhere else or perhaps you've just begun. Do tell us how you found this game and what sort of perfumes you make. We are very nosy!!!

Do tell us how you found this game and what sort of perfumes you make.
    Heheh thanks for asking mumsy! I don't have a voice as a perfumer yet, as I just started only a year ago, and I've been lurking on these forums long before I even created a username. But I do tend to lean toward more tropical scents, because I grew up in the tropics and I love that it's so vibrant in every way. (I also adore darker, earthier, smoky perfumes...) I thought I'd finally join in on a game, now that one has popped up and is up my alley. Hopefully my skills are up to snuff so far!

This game will be a fun one then as a contrast to that. Transparent perfume isn't a style that I lean towards either. I'm more a chypre/orientals type.

I've got my salty accord on the go and am wondering where it begs to travel.

I take the invitation to tell of my experience in odor being a neophyte basenote. I devoted myself to the pleasures of the nose as a child but on a trip to Portugal broke my interest in the smells of plants. Odeceixes bay is filled with the heady scent of cistus ladanifer of which I fell in love. That was how I began the study of scents, six years ago. My favorite are woody, chypre and orientals but I also love floral, especially the vintage. I Hope the Odeceixes transparent fragrance in the air will perhaps inspire me again.

I did spend some considerable time one holiday in the South of Italy, scraping the resin off the hillside conifers and infusing the wonderful lemon blossoms. The resin worked but the lemon blossoms didn't give their scent away in the ethanol much. Only just a hint when it wore off. That wonderful smell of fresh lemon blossoms. I was trying to make that particular evocative smell of the sea and the hillside as a gift for our host at the time. That would be a nice subject.

I'm a bit late, but count me in for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Boye1 View Post
    I'm a bit late, but count me in for this one!
    Never too late.... come and play too.

Basenotes Member rauvolfioideae's Avatar

I would like to join, if I may.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by rauvolfioideae View Post
    I would like to join, if I may.
    You are on the list.

Apologies for not revealing the second evaluator yet. I have not yet had an answer. I will say so when I do.

Happy blending.

Basenotes Member

i've been tinkering with a couple of bright, sun blushed accords already.
    am working more for lightness of touch than a sheer transparency.
    light but pervasive... and wholly unisex.
    Currently wearing: Akowa by Micallef

My Darjeeling green tea tincture has a dark brownish olive color now. I added Vitamine E to prevent oxidation (want a green tea not a black tea after all). Going to filter it next week.
    I decided to try an overdosed Iso E scent with lavender, green tea, cedar and cannabis, maybe with traces of lime and a bit of leather, and of course hedione.
    "A small joke (admittedly a subject of debate) became an affair of state, a fart became a tsunami" (Oliver Kalkofe)

I love the sound of that tea tincture. I am a complete fiend for tincturing. I do find they are easily dominated but love their delicacy when allowed to shine.

Yes, easily dominated. So I hope the odor of this tincture is not all too faint.

I tend to leave tinctures in for a long while and even then they still can be ineffective as anything other than a nice nuance. If more is wanted, then to magnify them by analysing their aromas and GC analysis to find the chemicals responsible for their recognisable aromas, and adding more oomph to the facets that need enhancing by the use of them.

or just buy a green tea absolute
    Well, the tea is supposed to be a nuance only here anyway, but hopefully it is at least one that can be detected. I hope I get my reply for the cannabis eo tomorrow, and I hope it is positive.

I am IN

I think this time I should go. I planned elegant feminine scent, but very modern with prominent smooth hedionic jasmine-orange blossom theme, musk fond and juicy fruit in top note ( rstrawberries, pink-grapefruit and mandarin). My idea is very mainstream, very pleasant smooth and fresh laundry, cotton theme with touch off sweet-sour notes off fruttines.

So just out of curiosity, what current perfumes on the market that you have experienced would you consider to be transparent. Would I be correct in assuming that the majority of them would be light, citrusy? Is the "transparency" about strength? A fascinating word when used in conjunction with smell.

To me: the tea scents from Bvlgari (with the exception of Eau Parfumťe au Thť Noir), many if not most perfumes created by Bertrand Duchaufour (especially for L'Artisan Parfumeur, e.g. Piment BrŻlant, Dzongkha, Mťchant Loup, to name some un-citrussy), the Jardins series by Jean-Claude Ellena for HermŤs, et cetera.
    In my mind, a transparent scent is the olfactoric equivalent to aquarelle in painting, while the color used does not necessarily have to be yellowish. To come with a metaphor.

Ok, count me in as well

I will be using great amounts of cypriol and birch tar, tons of costus oil and indol ...

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    Ok, count me in as well

I will be using great amounts of cypriol and birch tar, tons of costus oil and indol ...
    No cade?

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    No cade?
    how could I forget ...