Code of Conduct

Default Aventus for her... Why the hate?

I had the chance to smell Aventus for Her recently without much enthusiasm knowing how much hate there is for this scent on basenotes and fragrantica. I'm glad I sampled it anyway because what I got what a very pleasant sweet pineapple and black current in the opening and one of the most beautiful dry downs I've ever smelt. It's smooth and creamy, I believe it's the peace, rose, and ambergris that give it this vibe. They're blended so well here. Why is there so much hate over this scent? And any idea when prices will go down for this? The lowest I've seen a full 75 ml bottle go for anywhere is $220.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Aventus for her... Why the hate?

Quote Originally Posted by rustinn View Post
    Why is there so much hate over this scent?
    I never felt that there was any hate for this scent. In fact, I bought this for my granddaughter when it first came out and she loves it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I never felt that there was any hate for this scent. In fact, I bought this for my granddaughter when it first came out and she loves it.
    The 3 star rating on fragrantica is totally undeserved imo. This stuff is great. In fact, I'd wear it on myself as I find it fairly unisex. The dry down is just captivating. You can just tell by the dry down this is Olivier's doing with the soapy silky ambergris.

don't deceive with belief

There is no 'hate' for it - rather it has met with the disapproval of many. Disapproval is different from 'hate' or detestation.

If you are asking why it has not provided satisfaction to many, well, it is likely for different reasons for different people. If you enjoy it then that is excellent, but that does not mean others have to as well. That is the very nature of life - not everyone likes everything, and the lukewarm reception of this particular fragrance should have no bearing upon your personal enjoyment of it.

Individual circumstances determine whether the individual in question likes it or not. Since individuals are heterogenous in their attributes, it is infeasible to aggregate preferences and provide a general answer to the question why this particular fragrance is generally not well regarded.

I have not observed hate, just indifference.
    Currently wearing: Olène by Diptyque

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Very common with Creed feminines. My wife likes them, but she's atypical. They just don't generate the enormous buzz here that the men's scents get.

I'm looking forward to this one, for both of us. One of us will like it - maybe both.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

I can't remember reading anything about it. Perhaps the OP would be so kind as to cite one example of what appears to be a clearly hateful comment. On the other hand, it does seem that some people think that any new release by Creed should be greeted with the proverbial red carpet! These are just smells, and you can like some and dislike others. In fact if one did not like any or did not dislike any I would be concerned about the person's mental health.

I did not hate it. Sniffed it bored me walked away. But then I have had the urge to smell like a pineapple, or a fig for that matter. Fig fragrances also bore me.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I did not hate it. Sniffed it bored me walked away. But then I have had the urge to smell like a pineapple, or a fig for that matter. Fig fragrances also bore me.
    I think OP is clearly looking for dudes to support the Her version, I'm sure he's trying every women's perfume released with the same enthusiasm...

As for the thread, FINALLY... I was so bored of reading the for Him hate threads that I took a break from BN

Basenotes Plus

I tried it and did not like it.

I try a lot of fragrances and don't like them.

Blog Entries

No hate here. I just don't like it well enough to wear it.
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

I agree

Basenotes Plus

Are you positive it was the women's? It was ok for me and I love new things. My lady didn't care for it, so we didn't purchase it. It had a ton of hype and in my opinion it hasn't been out long enough for a fair trial. It didn't smell bad, just very neutral for us. Im glad you liked it. Have you tried Royal Princess Oud?
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I've never smelled it, but I hate it on principle. I haven't decided what that principle is yet, but I've narrowed it down to either because it bears the Aventus name and Aventus fanboys have used up all good will on that front, or because it carries the Aventus name, but it's not similar enough to Aventus (I.e. too feminine and it didn't turn out to be a flanker I would wear).
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I have to say, I have never tried any fragrances from Creed and with all the disscussion on batch variation for the male Aventus, it's not really tempting. Maybe once I spend another decade in the hobby but right now my finances and shelf space are too limited for frags that expensive per ml, that are known to be so inconsistent.
    Currently wearing: Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Basenotes Plus

I don't hate the stuff; I didn't recoil in horror when I smelled it. I just felt disappointed, like "is that all there is?"

And perhaps mildly annoyed. Because there's the name: "Aventus for Her," As if Aventus is somehow unwearable by women--which it isn't. Aventus a fruity floral for guys--and I know this category is a novelty for most of the fellas, which I guess partially explains the hoopla around Aventus for men. So Creed made it okay for guys to wear fruity florals--and more power to all of them. Women, on the other hand, have had fruity florals flung at them for decades, so it's hard to get excited about anything new that falls into that general category, at least for me. Before Aventus for Her came along, I already had about 5 different ways to smell like pineapple (including the original Aventus, which smells fine on women, at the expense of repeating myself)--it's neither exciting not new. (Or go to Bath and Body Works or whatever--I'm sure there are a million things that fall into the general category). And Creed wants to charge us upward of 300 bucks for a fruity floral--a nice one, no doubt, but for that money, I can get a lot of other things that appeal to me more. And, really, with all the hype around Aventus for Her, I felt sort of led to expect the Second Coming, which it is not. Yeah, the minerally Creed drydown is groovy, but I want some perfume I like with my drydown--give me Irisia, Vanisia, or my trusty Tubereuse Indiana any day, if I'm going to wear Creed. If I'm going to wear pineapple, I'll take Patou Colony or VIW, a classic in its own right.

I guess what I'm saying is that I find it redundant and overpriced for what it is, but I would never tell anyone that I hate it; it's just not for me.

Thediamondsea, you make an interesting point. There are very few female fragrances I like, especially because white floral scents come off as very heavy and discordant to me. Which is what surprised me about this. Note by note, I guess you could categorize AFH as a fruity floral. When I think fruity floral, I sort of cringe. But I;d have to say this is the best fruity floral I've ever smelt on the female side of fragrances. To each his own. I couldn't take my nose off the tester strip haha. The ambergris here definitely smells like ambroxan to my nose, but it's very fizzy and alluring, to me at least. I can't wait until the market price on this stuff goes down.

I should also mention this is the first female scent I've smelt from Creed. I've heard good things about Vanisia as well. Is that worth a trip to Neiman Marcus?

I bought a few samples for my wife and a couple friends, and none of them liked it much at all, and they don't know Creed or Aventus from a bar of soap. I also don't find it very complex IMO, or have any similarity to regular Aventus. I smell too much rose for my liking. Seems to me that the OP was maybe just pointing out they'd seen way more thumbs down with Aventus Her, than they had expected. Glad some like it though, always nice to find ones to add to the collection!

Basenotes Plus

Good points Cheetah. If one were looking for an exact female counterpart to the male version in terms of success and worshiping to where it has its own following, then I could see how one could mistake hate for uneventful. Its just ok for us. Nothing groundbreaking unfortunately. You could probably purchase a split for a decent price OP.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

I got a 15ml decant for my fiance. I love the way it smells on her. I'll get her a bottle one day

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    I don't hate the stuff; I didn't recoil in horror when I smelled it. I just felt disappointed, like "is that all there is?"

And perhaps mildly annoyed. Because there's the name: "Aventus for Her," As if Aventus is somehow unwearable by women--which it isn't. Aventus a fruity floral for guys--and I know this category is a novelty for most of the fellas, which I guess partially explains the hoopla around Aventus for men. So Creed made it okay for guys to wear fruity florals--and more power to all of them. Women, on the other hand, have had fruity florals flung at them for decades, so it's hard to get excited about anything new that falls into that general category, at least for me. Before Aventus for Her came along, I already had about 5 different ways to smell like pineapple (including the original Aventus, which smells fine on women, at the expense of repeating myself)--it's neither exciting not new. (Or go to Bath and Body Works or whatever--I'm sure there are a million things that fall into the general category). And Creed wants to charge us upward of 300 bucks for a fruity floral--a nice one, no doubt, but for that money, I can get a lot of other things that appeal to me more. And, really, with all the hype around Aventus for Her, I felt sort of led to expect the Second Coming, which it is not. Yeah, the minerally Creed drydown is groovy, but I want some perfume I like with my drydown--give me Irisia, Vanisia, or my trusty Tubereuse Indiana any day, if I'm going to wear Creed. If I'm going to wear pineapple, I'll take Patou Colony or VIW, a classic in its own right.

I guess what I'm saying is that I find it redundant and overpriced for what it is, but I would never tell anyone that I hate it; it's just not for me.

Interesting. Thanks for your perspective. I recall mentioning that because of its fruitiness Aventsu could very easily be worn by women, and that it feels very unisex to me, but that got some strong reactions from some Aventus bros insisting that it's totally masculine and one of the most alpha male scents on the market. Perspectives differ, and perhaps I come from a different generation than them, and it seems that some boys are trying to claim cloying sweetness or fruity scents as their own.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.

I think the drydown for Aventus (for Him) is pretty masculine -- top and heart are quite unisex imo

I like Aventus for Her personally -- I actually wouldn't mind wearing it

I judge each fragrance on its merits and [try] to not get bogged down by who it's by or reputations, links or hype bullshit.

Disliking a fragrance on principle without even trying seems a bit ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I think the drydown for Aventus (for Him) is pretty masculine -- top and heart are quite unisex imo

I like Aventus for Her personally -- I actually wouldn't mind wearing it

I judge each fragrance on its merits and [try] to not get bogged down by who it's by or reputations, links or hype bullshit.

Disliking a fragrance on principle without even trying seems a bit ridiculous.
    I think my view of the drydown is skewed because I enjoy many of my dry, woody scents like 2 Man on my wife, so Aventus doesn't feel especially masculine in the drydown. My first sample of it seemed to dry down to more musk and pineapple though, which was much more unisex.

FWIW, in case my hyperbole wasn't obvious enough, I was joking about hating it on principle, although I do suspect similar factors may be at work for naysayers. I have no interest in testing A for H, but I couldn't disparage it without trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    FWIW, in case my hyperbole wasn't obvious enough, I was joking about hating it on principle, although I do suspect similar factors may be at work for naysayers. I have no interest in testing A for H, but I couldn't disparage it without trying it.
    I suspected it might be tongue in cheek -- didn't seem like your style. Yeah some will hate for hate's sake

Well I'm thankful to have discovered Notino because they're selling new 2.5oz testers of AFW for $159. I snagged that in a heartbeat

That's roughly the price per ml for a lot of the splits on here. That's definitely the lowest price I've seen for a bottle of AFH.

I quite enjoy it, and so does my sister.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed