Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinion: "mist and walk through" is the bane of all fragrance

It's easy to forget that there is a whole world of people who wear and enjoy fragrance who are not enthusiasts, and that these people in fact make up the majority of the fragrance buying public. It can be surreal sometimes to hear the way that fragrance is talked about and thought about outside of our enthusiast circles. Even online, as soon as you leave BN or Fragrantica it's a different world.

By far the most troubling thing, which I hear repeated over and over again like some sort of mantra, is mist and walk through. Mist and walk through. After decades of every fashion magazine advice column hammering this into people's heads, it's finally worked, and the general fragrance buying public now has an almost paralyzing fear that someone else might be able to tell they're wearing fragrance. This is treated as a grave offense, comparable to lighting up a cigarette in an indoor area, looking to the person next to you and saying "You can smoke in here, right?"

Recently someone in my apartment building spilled food waste of some sort in the elevator. Could have been chicken juice, beef fat, anything really. It sunk into the carpet and turned rancid within a few days, transforming the 25-second elevator ride into a harrowing, seemingly neverending olfactory tale of rot and decomposition. I went a week before I caved and sprayed the offending spot on the carpet with some Giorgio for Men. Within 24 hours a handwritten note from an angry tenant was posted in the elevator, complaining that the elevator was too small a space, with too poor ventilation, and won't whoever is spraying fragrance please stop?

I resisted the urge to write a snarky counter note. I wish I could say that it surprised me that there are people who would literally rather smell rotting bio-matter than a men's cologne, but that note summed up so much of the emerging modern attitude toward fragrance, where it's viewed not merely with apathy but as actively doing harm, like a toxin or pollutant; a public health hazard.

More than once I've gone to a friend's place, seen a bottle of Acqua di Gio or Lacoste on his bureau and exclaimed "woah, I didn't know you wore cologne!". Always the same reply: "yeah man, the trick is I mist and walk through so I don't gas out the room." There's never any grey area. One is either unscented or waging chemical warfare.

How did this happen? I mean, I know people needed a bit of a breather after the powerhouse 80's, but how does the industry come back from this? It really seems to me that making any kind of real statement with fragrance is now viewed as completely beyond the pale when out in public, a fashion faux-pas no one makes anymore. I'm sure members in more urban areas will have a different take on this, since the sheer numbers of people they encounter will increase the odds of running into someone wearing fragrance. I just had to vent for a bit, so thanks in advance.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Opinion: "mist and walk through" is the bane of all fragrance

A few points -

1. The food waste could have mixed with Giorgio to create a foul smell. Of course, it seems it did not as you do not mention anything like that. The complaint seems against the perfume - not any foul smell.

2. This attitude to perfumes is atypical of north America. I doubt this is the case in most other parts of the world. This is probably not true for much of Europe, Latin American, and definitely not the Arab world.

3. I always thought the 'mist and walk through' approach is mostly nonsense, for me anyway.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I wear scent so that generally it won't be noticed until in close quarters. As someone who used to hate perfume and have my allergies triggered I'm conscious of the impact it can have on others.

The difference between the spilled waste and perfume is also one of intent. I doubt that whoever spilled the waste was aiming to scent the elevator. However foul it was I'd assume it to be an accident. Wearing perfume is a conscious decision, as is the amount/method of application.

There's often a self righteous tone by people on perfume forums to the effect that "how dare they get offended by my wonderful scent. It's much better than BO (or insert foul odor of choice). They're just overreacting ", but like it or not, not t everyone finds fragrance as innocuous as us, and perfume wearers have gotten a bad rep due to oversprayers.

I personally never do the walk through, but for reasons other than the propaganda that's led to it becoming commonly accepted.
    Of course, acceptable perfume use varies, and should be adapted. When in Rome, and all that. North America is reputedly pretty up tight in this respect. Japan, where I live, even more so, although there have definitely been a few times when I wish a fellow gym user had drenched themselves in AdG or something rather than being choked out by the rancid smell of his unwashed gym clothes. Then again, I think many people with bad BO have anosmia to it and have no idea how they smell to others.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 19th March 2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

Have not been able to implement this fragrance application method in practice so far nor seen any non-fictional example of successfully applying fragrances like this
    (though having to admit only have seen it once happen in a fictional example alone, namely in one episode of "Two and a half man", probably the fact that the rather lackluster character of Alan Harper applying fragrance like this while wearing a campy shirt was not exactly a convincing selling point in favor of this method).

Missing Oakmoss

Didn't "mist and walk-through" start as a marketing gambit on the part of Estee Lauder? I remember reading that she wanted to promote the idea that Youth Dew was so potent and exotic (which it was, pre-reformulation) that one simply didn't dare apply it directly on skin in polite society. However the practice began, I think it's wasteful - better to spray fragrance on places like forearms and wrists, where the wearer can experience it fully.

But I take your larger point, Pauer_Haus. Fragrance is not appreciated one bit where I live, and I have to be very careful about where - and around whom - I wear it.

As for ridding your elevator of the rotten odor, my thought is that spraying a masking agent like Febreze would be a better choice than Giorgio - the mixture of biological putrefaction plus perfume must be quite heady!
    Last edited by Bonnette; 20th March 2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Never paid attention to the "mist and walk through" idea ether.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I always assumed the mist and walk through was to sell more perfume or invented to deal with 80's powerhouses. I try to keep my silliage minimal but always though that idea was wasteful of expensive fragrence.
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

The no-perfume perfume dates back to the 1990s at least. Of course after two decades of aqua-woody-teas, they have also become "perfumey" in the mind of many. and unfortunately there are annoying people all over who don't want to smell anything, but luckily in my experience they have been the minority. But they exist.

Others have commented about the mist and walk in approach. Might have worked for the nuclearly powered early Estee Lauder. Certainly not now.

cacio

I have to use that technique with some really powerful ones, and in some cases that allows me to get used to it so that I can spray directly onto skin. If people want to spray weak scents into the air and walk through it, that's fine with me - I usually don't like what they're wearing!

Aside from its use in a movie once, I have never heard anyone say "mist and walk through". I agree with freewheelingvagabond the anti-perfume attitudes seem to be solely in North America for some reason, which is a shame, since I find a moderate application of perfume can be an enjoyable thing to smell on someone in passing.
    Currently wearing: Musc Eternel by Mizensir

Such a waste of perfume, time and effort.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (29 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (27 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (22 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (21 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (17 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (17 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I have to use that technique with some really powerful ones, and in some cases that allows me to get used to it so that I can spray directly onto skin. If people want to spray weak scents into the air and walk through it, that's fine with me - I usually don't like what they're wearing!
    You have a point here... Bijan smelled horrendous to me until I misted some on. That's what allowed me to finally catch a few individual notes and "get" what was going on; it was way too overwhelming otherwise.

Never did, never will......
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

I come across the spray and walk thing. In fact on QVC UK the shopping channel the other week the presenter was suggesting doing it. Your hair smells lovely she stated. Moron! Alcohol in perfume dries your hair out. I have come across a few people in real life saying it to me. I do try not to actually laugh at them, then explain the hair thing(which did come from a Philip Kingsley the man who looked after Audrey Hepburn's hair and had a clinic in London), it damages the hair.
    DONNA

I rarely do the *spray and walk in* thing, because I see no point, unless the perfume is a beast and you want to achieve an extra light effect.
    However, I love perfume in the hair and I spray it every now and then, I have never seen any damaging effects and I have a rather good quality hair. Alcohol is present in many hair products. Both for styling and care. As is fragrance. If you spray perfume in hair too often for too long it might, of course, do some damage, but so will diying, blow-drying, straightening etc.and yet most of us do it, so I don't think a small spriz of perfume every now and then is a big deal and if one enjoys it - why not!
    I'm a haircare freak, and I have tried many Phillip Kingsley products. Sadly, all very dissapointing.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

Not to mention that other sin.

I let a friend of mine test some Tom Ford Oud Wood this weekend. As soon as I sprayed a samples on his wrists he started furiously rubbing them together.
    I cried inside.

Blog Entries

l agree that in the case of the elevator, Febreze might have been a better solution than trying to cover a strong smell with another strong smell. That can make things far worse!

l have never tried the "mist & walk through" method, as it does seem incredibly wasteful & pointless to me.

l wear perfume every day, including for work, & not once has anyone asked me to desist. l do try to go easy on the trigger for work though, & leave the real heavy hitters & animalics for leisure time.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Such a waste of perfume, time and effort.
    That's pretty much it. It also reminds me of the most patronising SA I have come across. Oh no, you don't spray the card directly, of course not, she said. Spray the perfume in the air and then waft the card through it. That's how you'll be wearing it.

Sorry, that is the end of civilisation as far as I'm concerned.

Blog Entries

I use a very controlled "heavy mist and get under it instantly" to add immediate strong but perfectly controlled sillage to my normal skin and/or clothing applications. It really works to get that perfect level of any fragrance, walking right out the door. Perhaps a bit wasteful, but I get almost all of the fragrance on me.

Basenotes Plus

With the sheer volume of fragrance at our disposal, applying the 'mist and walk through' approach may not be such a bad idea after all.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Never underestimate people's ability to complicate the simplest of tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Truth!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Going to start working on my trick spraying techniques now. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel. Think of perfume application crossed with parkour and tricking.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

I'm not gonna pay nearly £300 for a fragrance and walk through a mist of it

Like buying a Lamborghini and keeping it in the garage. Not quite like for like, but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Going to start working on my trick spraying techniques now. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel. Think of perfume application crossed with parkour and tricking.
    Extreme Spritzing. Love it!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I'm not gonna pay nearly £300 for a fragrance and walk through a mist of it
    That's more like it...!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Didn't "mist and walk-through" start as a marketing gambit on the part of Estee Lauder? I remember reading that she wanted to promote the idea that Youth Dew was so potent and exotic (which it was, pre-reformulation) that one simply didn't dare apply it directly on skin in polite society. However the practice began, I think it's wasteful - better to spray fragrance on places like forearms and wrists, where the wearer can experience it fully.
    Wow, had no idea about this and Estee Lauder. I think it's definitely a waste though and have personally got more out of my scents by spraying less overall on pulse points.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

the only time I ever mist is after applying a main course of 6 to 8 sprays and then misting for a garnish on top of it...and that's rarely...
    Currently wearing: Envy for Men by Gucci

And yet, more launches, more niche, more sephoras..

I used to be the general public not even about a year ago. I would mist and walk through and also pat my wrists together after spraying fragrance and then rubbing it into my neck. Jeremy Fragrance is what made me really take an interest in Fragrance this past June. Then from him I saw related videos of more Legit reviewers. I learned that niche was a thing and that there was more to fragrance than what Macys and Sephora sold. My collection Pre June 2016 was about 5 bottles and now it's close to 70 and at least 30 niche. I lacked the knowledge back then which is what most of the population lacks.