Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Recommend me some new fragrances!

Hey everyone!

First time posting, but LONG time Basenotes reader. I absolutely love this forum, and greatly enjoy reading everyone's recommendations and opinions. I am starting to build my fragrance collection, and this is what I currently own and when I wear it:

Kenneth Cole Mankind (not my favourite, I will probably get rid of it)
    Nautica Voyage (gym and work scent for the most part)
    Versace Pour Homme (work scent and casual daytime)
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (rarely wear this one, can't seem to find a good situation for it)
    Carolina Herrera CH men (date nights)
    Creed Aventus (formal occasions, date nights, clubs/bars)
    Creed Royal Water (daytime casual, occasions which aren't too formal)
    Creed Silver Mountain Water (LOVE this scent, I wear it often and in lots of different situations)

I am looking for some recommendations on a new scent based on what I currently own, as I am a bit overwhelmed with how massive the fragrance market is. I don't like super sweet, heavy, headache-inducing fragrances (CH Men is about as sweet as I would go). For the most part, I like fresh citrus scents, but I am looking for some more variety in my collection (maybe some deeper and more intimate scents). I am open to whatever suggestions you all have!

Today, I went and tested Dior Homme Eau for Men and I really liked it. I want to like the Dior Homme original since the performance is supposed to be a lot better, but the iris/lipstick note is too much for me, which I why I liked the Eau version. Is there anything else you guys would recommend in this category (since the performance on DHE isn't great)? I also like Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, and I will probably buy that one at some point. I have tested YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, and I do like it, but I have heard the performance is awful. I am open to designer and niche fragrances, but I am leaning more towards building my designer collection first, and then exploring deeper into the niche market once I can pinpoint exactly what I like.

I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to read my thread, and look forward to hearing what you guys think!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Recommend me some new fragrances!

Welcome to you Bedwards923! Perhaps Burberry London, Habit Rouge Dress Code, or Armani Profumo might be ones to consider trying.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome and enjoy the time spent here on BN!

Also adding Zara White Tag and Mugler Cologne to a possible (re-) testing list before choosing something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedwards923 View Post
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (rarely wear this one, can't seem to find a good situation for it)

Creed Silver Mountain Water (LOVE this scent, I wear it often and in lots of different situations)

Is there anything else you guys would recommend in this category (since the performance on DHE isn't great)?

I have tested YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, and I do like it, but I have heard the performance is awful.
    I find Xeryus Rouge to be a great spring scent! Silver Mountain Water is a LOVE for me too, trying to get my hands on a bottle in the very near future. I own and enjoy Dior Homme Eau, have heard Prada's L'Homme is along the same lines as it. I own the recent release of La Nuit and the performance is average in my opinion, a great scent.

Something deep and not too sweet that I will recommend is Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels. Leans toward the powdery side but isn't sweet.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Prada Infusion D'Homme, Kenzo Power.

You might like Loewe 001 for men. Has similarities with Dior Homme with less lipstick vibe. Another one is Valentino Uomo/Uomo Intense.

Dior Homme Cologne is fresh and citrusy.

Also, if you like Allure Homme Sport, you might like Allure Homme Edition Blanche.
    "Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once.
    A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth."
    -Diane Ackerman

Versace eau fraiche works excelentemente for romantic ocassions...

Also check out Bleu de Chanel and Bvlgari pour homme Extreme...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you Bedwards923! Perhaps Burberry London, Habit Rouge Dress Code, or Armani Profumo might be ones to consider trying.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I don't mind Armani Profumo, haven't tried the Burberry or Habit Rouge Dress Code.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Welcome and enjoy the time spent here on BN!

Also adding Zara White Tag and Mugler Cologne to a possible (re-) testing list before choosing something new.
    I have heard the Mugler Cologne is nice! Quite soapy if I remember? I think I will have trouble finding this local though. Is it a safe blind buy?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    I find Xeryus Rouge to be a great spring scent! Silver Mountain Water is a LOVE for me too, trying to get my hands on a bottle in the very near future. I own and enjoy Dior Homme Eau, have heard Prada's L'Homme is along the same lines as it. I own the recent release of La Nuit and the performance is average in my opinion, a great scent.

Something deep and not too sweet that I will recommend is Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels. Leans toward the powdery side but isn't sweet.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Xeryus Rouge is nice in the spring, I just find it cloying sometimes. I have to be really careful with the sprayer. Dior Homme Eau is on my short list right now, but I think I have to eliminate the YSL La Nuit due to performance issues. Thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Prada Infusion D'Homme, Kenzo Power.
    I looked for the Prada today, couldn't find it!

Quote Originally Posted by garlic View Post
    You might like Loewe 001 for men. Has similarities with Dior Homme with less lipstick vibe. Another one is Valentino Uomo/Uomo Intense.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into those!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Dior Homme Cologne is fresh and citrusy.

Also, if you like Allure Homme Sport, you might like Allure Homme Edition Blanche.
    I tried Dior Homme Cologne today and surprisingly, I didn't really like it. I thought I would love it after reading the notes, but I found it almost too simple and too boring. Maybe I'll try wear it next time and see if I change my mind. I love Allure Homme Edition Blanche, and I would buy it in a heartbeat, but the performance on my skin is awful with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rulopbo View Post
    Versace eau fraiche works excelentemente for romantic ocassions...

Also check out Bleu de Chanel and Bvlgari pour homme Extreme...
    The Versace is nice! Bleu de Chanel is a bit too generic smelling, and I know way too many people that wear it. Haven't tried the Bvlgari, thank you for the suggestions!

Since you like citrus you might want to give Terre de Hermes a try. It's a earthy/dirty citrus scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ete View Post
    Since you like citrus you might want to give Terre de Hermes a try. It's a earthy/dirty citrus scent.
    Definitely another one to consider.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Check out Kiton Men. Welcome aboard.

+1 on this. If you like Aventus, this may be up your alley. Also in the same vein: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Was actually just looking into this line this morning! Would you guys recommend the EDT, Parfum or the Fraiche version?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Check out Kiton Men. Welcome aboard.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by williamroe View Post
    +1 on this. If you like Aventus, this may be up your alley. Also in the same vein: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.
    I will see if Sephora carries that. Was going to head there today! Thanks.

Cuir Cannage from the same house is similar but a touch more accessible.

Went to test Terre d'Hermes this afternoon. WOW. The Parfum version is amazing! The Fraiche one was also really nice. I didn't enjoy the EDT very much. Found it too sharp. TDHP is definitely on my short list.

Polo Green is fresh
    Derby is fresh
    Green Irish Tweed is fresh
    Mitsouko is fresh
    Guerlain for men is fresh
    Rive Gauche pour homme is fresh
    EROLFA is fresh

Went to test Terre d'Hermes this afternoon. WOW. The Parfum version is amazing! The Fraiche one was also really nice. I didn't enjoy the EDT very much. Found it too sharp. TDHP is definitely on my short list.
    Glad you liked it! I own both the EDT and EDP but honestly, my nose is terrible so I probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless it was a side by side comparison. I've tried the Fraiche version too but I've recently become really picky on what I buy because I'm running out of space so I passed on that.

Was actually just looking into this line this morning! Would you guys recommend the EDT, Parfum or the Fraiche version?
    They're all nice, but my preference is for the Parfum.