Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent

Default SOTD: Tuesday, 21st March, 2017

Scent of the Day Thread for Tuesday, 21st March, 2017

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Monday, 20th March, 2017 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Monday, 20th March, 2017 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Members celebrating a birthday on Tuesday, 21st March, 2017
    cjkboop, Estherhebe, jp1o, BabyC, Nakihabara, velesyoogleta253, EDP le Bassett, bannatptta5965, Chad0321, levinaig, farennes, KFerguson, Karinschempf, adzzycjuniory9866, ngute2112, NUOKassie6, Mandaguy, mint8888, Ether Man, Lana_1209, wemaminaj,

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: 13 by The Fragrance Kitchen

Bloop bloop bleep

Default Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 21st March, 2017

Creed Windsor

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Signature by Jean Jacques Vivier

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone London

hello all,
    Currently wearing: Eau Lente by Diptyque

Bleecker Street

Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Blog Entries

Morning all, Happy National Fragrance Day, & a wonderful Spring Equinox to all you lovelies!

lt's a glorious morning here, & l'm off to Uni for the last day of this module, in Smuggler's Soul.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

Morning all,

Tdem, you two are such a lovely couple and thank you for sharing those beautiful photos!!

Viffer, welcome back and I'm happy things are working out well for you!

N.CAL, I think More than Words is a good and powerful fragrance, it's worth a sniff but it wasn't for me in the same way that Rose d'Arabie wasn't plus it's heavier on oud.

Today I'm sampling Tom Ford Vert de Bois and this is good stuff. Besides the very top, first few seconds, I don't get much of green, it reminds me ever so slightly of Coromandel, the way patchouli is clean, woody and paired with sweeter notes, I also get quite a bit of jasmin, the way I smell it in Ciel de Gum. Nice!
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

Minister of Misfits

Amber Gris - Balmain...
    =^..^=

Basenotes Plus

Morning all,

Spring seems to have arrived!

Fleur de Chine by Tom Ford. Struggled between this and le parfum de Therese this morning.

As it is Spring setting myself the task of reorganising my perfumes this month.

Have a lovely day everyone

Sea Roses
    “It Will Be the Size of a Lion When I Bore Down On My Enemies.”.........An unnamed Spartan soldier when asked why he’d drawn a fly on his shield, instead of something more intimidating.

Hello! Wearing Cuir de Gardenia.
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Good morning!!

Tdem, so fun to read about your getaway and to see the picture!

The last of my La Pausa edp sample today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 21st March, 2017

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Currently wearing: Eau Lente by Diptyque

Hello, everyone!

I am wearing Dzing! today,
    and trying Rose Calligraphy and Calypso, at the same time.

Have a lovely day, all!

Oh I smell good good good today, the Nuxe dry oil and Mure et Musc Extreme.

I get frustrated by the Mure-et-Musc as it's so expensive and not very strong so I use a lot when wearing it, and it smells like something I feel like I should be able to recreate more affordably, but whoo it smells just so magical and perfect - it's like taking a long time and using expensive makeup to end up with a "natural" look, when you get more beautiful 'cause you did all that work, but it doesn't look like you did a lot of makeup? But you can't look like that without the careful attention to detail? That is what this is like, they paid careful attention to detail to loop back to something that ends up smelling like some magical combination of shampoo and body lotion and skin.

Hello all.

Silver Musk by Nasomatto
    DONNA

Good morning! It's sunny again but cold, only 14 degrees.

Wearing a sample of Parfums de Marley Meliora this morning. Notes are red fruits, raspberry, blackcurrant, rose, lily, ylang, woods, vanilla and musk. It's nice, very fruity, mostly raspberry and a little green.

Have a great day!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Man, do I love the fetid, burning orange top notes of Mona di Orio's Nuit Noire. I associate most of the sweet heat to ginger, maybe some to clove, both of which I usually find too intense, but when served over orange, I say "bring on the spice." The nearest similar scent is Boucheron Femme, which sustains its orangey character more consistently over time, whereas NN sputters out in to soft tuberose for the long haul. Going to do a left/right wrist comparison of the two today. For the money though, there's no contest: B's a bargain for the quality.

Now, my friends, I'm weirded out to state that, according to an email I got moments ago, I guess I'm done producing magazines. My final publisher has been trying to keep us going, but print is not where it's at for all but the biggest of the big and nichest of the niche. My mind and body are trying to process this "climate change," leaving me stunned and retrospective. I knew this last magazine's demise was possibly imminent, but the news affects me more than I anticipated.

In 1973, right out of high school, I got a job typesetting and pasting up weekly newspapers. Concurrently, I earned an associates degree and eventually subbed in assorted departments for the newspaper publisher. I met my husband at work; he was a pressman. Friends in the biz made connections for me, and I began doing a little magazine work on the side when I was a young mother. The recession hit in the early '80s, and my husband was laid off. Summoning uncustomary confidence, I asked him to swap roles, to take care of our daughter and my aged parents, I threw our savings into a $10,000 specialty word processor designed to modem coded text to a printer for typesetting output. I was lucky to find customers, and provided typesetting and pasteup services for special-interest periodicals and books. There were good years, I employed a couple people, but the invention of desktop publishing upended much of my business as it existed. Still, I adapted to the times, phasing through generations of computers, finding other magazine, advertising, and book customers. At one point I had so many publications I had to turn away favorites.

I've joked about my special-interest publications, but honestly they've all been interesting: model railroading, passenger trains, roller coasters, optometry, banking, homebuilding, plumbing and HVAC, and ecological landscaping. I have one remaining client who's been with me almost since day one, but her antique sampler stitching instruction kits are hardly a big future for her or me. I'll still do volunteer projects for Wild Ones. But in all meaningful ways, I guess I'm now retired. It's scary. No more pages? No more ads? No more billing?

It's not as though I'm bored. There's the house/landscape to finish. I've vowed to produce a documentary about our property, which'll be a hellalotta work. I can start drawing early Social Security after May, so that should equal out the lost income. I think it'll all be good. Real good. But what a change. Almost 44 years of battling deadlines and typos, choosing ink colors, editing, chasing delinquent customers, endlessly upgrading computers and screens and software. Wow. It's a lot to process.

I had felt lately that, if life is a trilogy of books, like Lords of the Rings, I have entered the third book -- nowhere near the final chapters of life, but definitely in the third book. So that's my story for today. Thanks for indulging my thoughts in this moment.
    Last edited by Quarry; 21st March 2017 at 01:32 PM.
    “I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”― E.B. White

Good morning everyone! It's been busy as usual but it's a beautiful spring day and I'm wearing a Taste of Heaven by Kilian. I had bought this years ago as a travel set and I haven't worn it much since. It's lovely to be reminded of it and then find I still love it.

Quarry, what a lovely post. It seems bittersweet to finish the 2nd book and close it. I remember that feeling of holding the book in your hand, unwilling quite yet to put it down... almost closing the back of it so slowly because the story was so engrossing. But how exciting to know you're about to crack the binding on the continued journey. I look forward to hearing all the new adventures.

I see I need to page back through the last couple of days to see all of Tdem's pictures! Have a great day everyone!
    Beth
    Currently wearing: Enslaved by Roja Dove

Original Vetiver

Wonderful post, Ms. Quarry. i am sorry your job is ending but the timing is very lucky, glad you don't have to worry about the income.

Dear Quarry,
    As I have friends in this field I know how hard times are... I am sorry to hear you are coming to an abrupt end with your professional skills. However, I do look forward to getting a glimpse of your future projects. I feel you deserve a big hug. While hugging you will notice that I smell of spring and summer with Geranium Pour Monsieur. The weather here is now supposed to follow suite now... I am through with cold winds (since New Year in fact). I really am.
    Have a good day all!

Brineapple.

Q, you are turning the page and entering a new, exciting chapter of your life. Best wishes in the transition!

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Mrs Q you will always have a loyal army of avid readers here - looking forward to numerous reports on your further endeavours.

Les Liquides Imaginaires - Sancti.

Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone and thanks for the kind comments on my pictures and recap. xo
    Shannon, welcome back! I was just reading about your cruise. It sounds like it was so much fun. We did enjoy ourselves very much but it's always good to come home.
    (((((Quarry))))) Wishing you the best in this transitional period. xo

SOTD is Guerlain Chamade. Have a great day, all..
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

Dependent

Quarry! How exciting and bittersweet at the same time. What an interesting career! You must know so much about all kinds of subjects (model trains! roller coasters!) from typesetting the articles. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, so beautifully put. I have only my own experience to go by, but for me retirement has been wonderful. The time flies by and each new day is an adventure.

Viffer glad to see you back.

I'm wearing En Passant this morning.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Blog Entries

(((Quarry))) l wish you well in this new phase of your life. You sound like the type of gal who never gets bored, & look at all the projects you still have in the pipeline! l admire your entrepreneurialism, & also your hubby for being so supportive.

l'm topping up the sandalwood with Santal Blush this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Guerlain Vega.

Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Fresh Cannabis Santal today
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo