Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Tauer Hyacinth and A Mechanic, + Bluebell, Indigo, & Blue Hyacinth Mini Sample Pass!

Tauer Limited Edition “Hyacinth and A Mechanic” plus Penhaligon's Bluebell Mini Sample Pass

PLUS: Bonus samples!!! Indigo by Baruti, thanks to IsoESuperman and Jo Malone Blue Hyacinth with thanks to Whitefluffy!!!

Blue Hyacinths.jpg

UPDATED SAMPLING GROUPS:

Group 1: IsoESuperman, epapsiou, cacio, Jaysin5506

Group 2: Zephyr, Shadesofbleu, thediamondsea, N.Cal

*** I would love for Mike to have a sniff of Indigo, so if there is a bit left, I'd like to have that sent to him too. I just don't know which sample or group will have more for him to try out, or if we should just send both to him in the end so he gets a good go at it. We'll have to see when we get to that point.

Last November, Andy Tauer toured a number of perfume shops around the States and brought with him a limited edition fragrance, available only to those who went to the event that day—Hyacinth and A Mechanic. Luckily for me, I was able to visit Scent Bar and purchase a bottle, as well as enjoy a lovely chat with Andy.
    This is the event with a brief description of the scent:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2016/11/16...nd-a-mechanic/

I have shared decants with some close BN friends and it was well received by all. One of my BN pals, Mikeperez23, liked it so much that he wanted to start a thread on it, so we decided to do a sample pass and spread the fun around a bit more.

Details:

- I’ll donate two vials of Hyacinth and A Mechanic, and just to have another hyacinth to compare with, I will throw in Penhaligon’s Bluebell as well so folks get to have two different takes on hyacinth, one very modern and creative, and one that is a traditional soliflore.

- In past sample passes, 3-4 people have been able to sample from a vial. These both seem potent enough to provide for that number, but let’s start with a sampling group of six, with three people per group. If there is more interest and enough left of the sample, maybe we can have another person join. (If there are already six people and you are interested too, please post here as well and we can add you tentatively as a fourth participant in the group.) I am not averse to adding a third sampling group if there is interest to warrant it, but I do want to mail out everything on the same day so we would need close to 9 people out of the gate, ideally.

- Let's allot about 12 days for the sampling per person and try not to hold on to the samples for longer than that before passing them along. I don’t want folks to feel rushed to sample or stress about mailing things, but in the interest of keeping the thread alive, please try not to dawdle. If anyone needs a little extra time or needs to switch slots on the sampling pass order, that is fine, just let me know.

- Post any impressions on this thread. We like discussion, and this very unusual scent seems to ask for exploration of interdisciplinary topics! Actually, even the Penhaligon’s elicits varied reactions, so hopefully we will have fun discussing these.

- I'm posting on the Female Fragrance Discussion forum, but anyone is welcome!

- USA only, due to various restrictions on shipping perfume.

To Join:

- You must have at least 50 posts and have been a member of BN at least one month as of today, March 20th.
    - You agree to mail the samples to the next participant in a timely manner using adequate packaging and a tracking number. (I will package it nicely, and if one is careful opening it, the original packaging should suffice to send things along to the next person, unless USPS really damages things…)

And, for those who may have their own bottle(s) or sample(s), please feel free to join in if you wish! The more the merrier.

By the way, Andy Tauer created something similar to this scent about ten years ago and sent it around to some bloggers and aficionados. I have a bunch of links that I will add in a later post.

***ALSO: PLEASE NOTE that Mike and I are kind of busy right now, so if there is a bit of a lag time in our responses, please, please do not be discouraged or offended. We are both very, very excited to share and discuss and wish to welcome you!

And for those interested in starting sample passes, here is an absolutely wonderful and informative blog entry by super member and sample pass hostess extrordinaire, 30 Roses.

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/201...p-for-Perfumes

And a great post on packaging samples, too:

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/202...-Avoid-Mishaps
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 21st April 2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: update
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tauer Limited Edition “Hyacinth and A Mechanic” plus Penhaligon's Bluebell Mini Sample Pass

I'm in!

Default Re: Tauer Limited Edition “Hyacinth and A Mechanic” plus Penhaligon's Bluebell Mini Sample Pass

I've never smelled the Tauer, so I'd be happy to participate if there is space.

Oops, cancel my original sentence about the Penhaligon, i was confusing hyacinth with narcissus. Anyway, another (brief) hyacinth is Paco Rabanne Metal (which I have)

cacio

Always be smelling

I am a career sampler so I am in.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know I liked hyacinth so much until I smelled this one.

I'm excited to hear what you gals/guys think about it.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

Basenotes Plus

Just thinking...De Profundis and Mito both have Hyacinth accords...

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I have half a dozen hyacinth plants blooming in my house at the moment. Beautiful stuff.

If I lived in Portland or LA, I would have most definitely liked to pop in while Andy was in town for a sniff. I'd be happy to be one of nine if there is room left
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Basenotes Institution

Real hyacinth smells so damn good. It's right up there with osmanthus. Sometimes certain ones smell a bit lily-ish (which I do not like) but most of the others I've smelled are in a class by themselves
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Hello again! Thank you all for your interest! I can’t wait to start on the pass! Looks like we have two groups and room for more if anyone else would like to participate. The samples are packed and ready to go, I just need some mailing info. (PMs sent) Sorry for the brief delay; I had to spend three days at the hospital last week but we are all good to go now.

I am so interested to hear what you folks think, and also would love to hear more about any comparisons you might care to make with other fragrances graced by those beautiful hyacinth notes. We always grew hyacinths in the house when I was growing up, and forcing bulbs was something I looked forward to each winter and spring. I am soooooo jealous of your houseful of plants, IsoESuperman! I can’t have them indoors anymore, as they are toxic and the cats are incorrigible and attack and eat anything green in the house.
    ~ Henri Matisse

The power of bleu

I'm curious! A quick search in the directory shows a lot of scents with hyacinth, but I haven't tried many of them. If you have room, I would love to join you guys!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Hi Shades! Welcome!!! I’m so happy you joined! And no worries, no prior hyacinth perfume experience required, lol! I am certainly no expert on hyacinth in perfumes, much as I love the scent of the flowers. A few different hyacinth perfumes were just mentioned by cacio and Zephyr, and Mike and I were talking about Chamade and Chamade PH, too. I’ve never smelled the PH version, but I do love Chamade. To me though, it is really green and well blended, so I don’t get the same hyacinth blast that the Tauer and Penhaligon’s have in abundance.

Here’s a little more background on the Tauer scent:

Andy Tauer created “Hyacinth and A Mechanic” about 10 years ago, featuring a unique juxtaposition of Hyacinth and various other notes, such as engine grease, leather, etc. At that time it was not for sale but he decided to share his creation with some perfumistas in the States in what was called “A Bottle on a Journey.” He sent a bottle that was passed around, and a number of perfume bloggers wrote about it and others shared impressions, very much like a sample pass. There are various discussions around the web. To my knowledge, Andy did not release this perfume for sale until last November when he visited the United States. I wore it the other day and I find it so enjoyable for spring!

I’ll post some of the links I found online, in case anyone is interested!
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...-mechanic.html

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...by_andy_t.html

http://www.nstperfume.com/2007/08/20...auer-perfumes/

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2007/11/...l#.WMYTe2_yvIU

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...ndy-tauer.html

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...cinth-and.html

http://noteworthyfragrances.blogspot...inths-and.html

http://beautymindlive.blogspot.com/2...-mechanic.html
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

Please count me in if there's still room! I looove hyacinth, and it has been killing me that Hyacinth & a Mechanic isn't available anywhere that Andy doesn't visit, because Texas and blah blah blah (insert my usual rants about big state, full of rich people, no Tauer perfumes sold in the state that inspired Lonestar Memories, etc.).

Basenotes Institution

Is the Tom Ford Ombre de Hyacinth a realistic hyacinth scent?

-- Eckhart Tolle

From what I smelled back when it came out, the Tom Ford was realistic for a short time, then it moved in different directions. Much as I like hyacinth, I didn't feel it was good enough to buy, but I don't remember the details.

cacio

The power of bleu

Thank you for including me! I don't get along well with super green scents ... but I'm learning. Ostara was a huge surprise for me, so unlike what I usually go for. I'm pretty crazy for it, though. I'm always learning and stretching myself, so I'm very excited to try these!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Hello again! Thank you all for your interest! I can’t wait to start on the pass! Looks like we have two groups and room for more if anyone else would like to participate. The samples are packed and ready to go, I just need some mailing info. (PMs sent) Sorry for the brief delay; I had to spend three days at the hospital last week but we are all good to go now.

I am so interested to hear what you folks think, and also would love to hear more about any comparisons you might care to make with other fragrances graced by those beautiful hyacinth notes. We always grew hyacinths in the house when I was growing up, and forcing bulbs was something I looked forward to each winter and spring. I am soooooo jealous of your houseful of plants, IsoESuperman! I can’t have them indoors anymore, as they are toxic and the cats are incorrigible and attack and eat anything green in the house.
    Thanks cestrum! Sorry I didn't notice this was bumped until today. Growing up, my mom had quite the green thumb and the house I was raised in was referred to as "the jungle". I'm doing my best to carry on that tradition, albeit with moderate success - I'm more of a veggie gardener than a houseplant guy, but have a soft spot for growing begonias, crassula/jade plants, cyclamen, and hypoestes. I know what you mean about plant/cat conflicts, we nearly lost one to tiger lilies. There were extensive beds of them in our yard and one of the cats caught a mouse in the beds, covering himself in pollen during the process. Apparently just cleaning the pollen from his coat was enough to do it.

Looking forward to trying the Tauer! I don't want to complicate any plans, but I have ~1ml left in a spray sample of Indigo - Baruti which is hyacinth-heavy, although quite the synthetic rendition (not in a bad way) as is typical of house. It's an Extrait de Parfum and a little goes a long way. I get mainly hyacinth and incense, along with the "house accord" present in most of the releases, which I have a hard time describing. I'd be happy to donate it to the pass and perhaps pick up a second one if there are to be two groups. Feel free to PM me if you wish
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Basenotes Plus

We do indeed have room in the pass, thediamondsea! Welcome, welcome!!! I’m so happy to have you join. If you like hyacinth, you’ve come to the right place, lololol. Even if you aren’t enamored by these two, it should be fun to give ‘em a whirl!

Shades, I am very interested to hear your thoughts on these! Ostara is a beauty, for sure, but the green there is so soft and sappy and the honey and incense makes it quite different from so many of these spring floral types. Is it the whole bitter galbanum thing that bothers you in some fragrances? I do love galbanum and green scents, so I probably have a very high “threshold” for greenness, lol! However, that said, I still would not necessarily categorize these as “green,” per se. While both have that green, crisp, freshness that is intrinsic to the perfume of those lovely hyacinth blooms, I think they use rather different elements to achieve that feel. One goes more piney-resinous to my nose, while the other is more minty-herbal. Essentially, I would not tend to think of the notes giving greenness in either scent as green, in fragrance parlance… Hopefully these won’t be too challenging or annoying for you!

IsoESuperman your house and garden must be glorious! I am pretty limited to keeping some orchids inside now. I do keep a self-serve “bouquet” of fresh catnip for the cats to munch on, but my real flower arrangements are all half-eaten homegrown roses or alstroemeria, as the cats like to nibble at both. But they are nontoxic and have no chemicals like commercial flowers, so at least the whole family can enjoy them, in both human and cat ways, lol. (The dogs have no interest in any of this though! ) The tiger lily pollen story is horrifying! I never thought about pollen being so toxic! My garden is filled with toxic stuff! Luckily, mine are indoors only, except for my 21 year old who only has three legs and enjoys her sunbaths enough that she isn’t leaving the back patio or yard anytime soon, and she could care less about plants.

Indigo by Baruti sounds verrrrrry interesting! What a wonderful, generous offer to share your sample. I have read about Baruti a bit here and there, but didn’t know much, so I had a quick look online. It seems like a lovely artisanal niche brand, and Indigo sounds like a unique composition and unusual take on hyacinth. I noticed that a few other reviewers also mentioned that the hyacinth was prominent, too. I just received the last mailing address I needed to mail out the samples, so I was planning on doing that today. However, that means that we can also wait and add Indigo to the pass if people are interested. If you don’t mind, I will leave it up to the participants as to whether we should include Indigo in the pass.

So, my fine, fragrant friends, what say you? Please post your preference here for convenience, and don’t worry if you prefer to leave the pass as is—feel free to speak up either way.

 If the majority prefers to just keep it as is, with only the original two samples, then I will mail as soon as I know.

 If the majority would like to add Indigo, we would wait to add the Indigo to both packages and I will mail out once it is all together. (Please note: this will mean a brief delay in starting the pass)

 If there is a mix of preferences/split decision, no problem, I am amenable to doing one group with Indigo and one group without, if that makes people happy. Cestrum at your service, lol!
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

I'm so excited!!!!

I can almost smell the stuff from here!

I can do either Indigo or not - I'm not in a rush, so I can wait - I'm chill

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Thank you for including me! I don't get along well with super green scents ... but I'm learning. Ostara was a huge surprise for me, so unlike what I usually go for. I'm pretty crazy for it, though. I'm always learning and stretching myself, so I'm very excited to try these!
    I do not think the Tauer is 'green' at all. That 'mechanic' note doesn't make that possible. You'll see...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I am down for whatever works for you guys. I forgot to mention that I've been wearing the snot out of Lutens Bas de Soie this month, in all its frigic, hyacinthy glory. I'm looking forward to finding up how Tauer's perfume relates (and doesn't) to it.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know Bas de Soie was hyacinth. Am I getting that one confused with another? Is BdS sort of...watery?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Bas de soie is supposed to be hyacinth top, iris core, and a musk base.

I like the first 10 seconds of bas de soie with its beautiful hyacinth. But I am hypersensitive to some note in the the perfume because after that the iris-material smells rotten and unbearable to my nose. Too bad. So I hope there's no such note in the Tauer.

cacio

I have a sample of Hyacinth and a Mechanic (sent a while back by our lovely cestrum) and a bottle of Bluebell and I think you're all going to have a lot of fun! Love them or hate them, both are definitely challenging and a bit weird and you're sure to learn something. Plus, cestrum. A guaranteed good time!

I'm going to wait until you guys start sampling to post thoughts but I'll say now that I love both. Way back when I first joined BN, I sampled Bluebell in a monster Penhaligon's pass hosted by 30 Roses. It was my second favorite of a big bunch of samples, though I didn't get around to buying until recently.

The Tauer, I'll just say I wish my sample would magically turn into a big fat bottle! And nothing rotten or overripe or garbage-y or similar to my nose, cacio. I was so happy when I saw you signed up; interested to hear what you, and everyone, thinks. This is a great group!

On the topic of hyacinth, my other great love with a chilly hyacinth note is Cristalle EDT. Just bought the lotion which also has plenty of hyacinths. Love this note and need to try the others mentioned here.

Freed from BN Institution

I looking forward to hearing about what others have to say on Hyacinth and a Mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post

And for those interested in starting sample passes, here is an absolutely wonderful and informative blog entry by super member and sample pass hostess extrordinaire, 30 Roses.

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/201...p-for-Perfumes
    There just might, especially for those individuals who have worked hard in putting together the most recent sample passes! They deserve the opportunity to be a participant of a sample pass for once!
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 31st March 2017 at 03:51 AM.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

^Sounds like N.Cal is up to something! Bet it's something good, too!

And I meant to second the recommendation for sample pass hosts to read 30 Roses' blog entries. These have become my sample pass bible.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    ^Sounds like N.Cal is up to something! Bet it's something good, too!
    Hopefully you and cestrum would be able to participate This one will also be a 'mini' sample pass and will also be the one preceding another one which will be the 'big daddy' that I'm currently assembling. I'll add more details in the future.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for your input on the Indigo, Zephyr and thediamondsea! I went ahead and bugged the rest of our pass participants and MikeyP too, and seems like everyone is of a similar opinion. As no one is in a rush and would be interested to have the added scent for comparison, let’s go ahead and include Indigo by Baruti! Thank you again, IsoESuperman!

I will discuss logistics with him and update here. I have not listed the groups and order yet, pending my discussion with IsoESuperman on the most efficient way to coordinate, but the order for mailing/sampling will be roughly based on participant location and order of signing up, so probably one East coast group and one Midwest/Southwest group. I noticed I had some kind of junky garbled sentence fragment up there in the first post too! Lol… sorry! Anyway, that was supposed to be a sentence noting that if anyone needs a little extra time or needs to switch slots on the sampling pass order, that is fine, just let me know. We have all had unexpected things come up. This is all for fun so we will work it out!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Hopefully you and cestrum would be able to participate This one will also be a 'mini' sample pass and will also be the one preceding another one which will be the 'big daddy' that I'm currently assembling. I'll add more details in the future.
    You're being tricky, but I'm excited! lol
    ~ Henri Matisse

My nose is all a-tingle, N.Cal, count me in!

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing Metal by Paco Rabanne today for the 1st time from a sample (thank you cacio). Def' a hyacinth-prominent fragrance, the aldehydes really amp up the green-floral-scratchiness of this note. It's a bit dated, to my nose (I mean 1979 was sort of a bit 'gaudy' time for fragrances, no?) but nonetheless I"m enjoying the heck out of the hyacinth explosion all around me with a grounded woody base and lots of other huge atmospheric aldehyde notes.

In comparison to the Tauer, this hyacinth note is much more prominent and not buried at all. It's got a spotlight on it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Cestrum any luck in getting that Tauer bottle?