Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I tried Straight to Heaven Extreme (deserves its own thread)

I was worried before I tried it that I wouldn't like it since the description by kilian is something like "double the rum double the vanilla" and found that unappealing.

Smelled it on paper and it was too much rum. But the kind rep at Saks in Chicago gave me a sample while I was there.

Wore it yesterday and it smelled really good on skin. It felt like a combo of straight to heaven combined with Creed windsor. Ended up ordering a bottle.

I am a fan of STH and also have STH Splash of Lemon so I want to disclose this first since I am a STH guy lol. But I didnt like it on paper at first so try on skin!

Default Re: I tried Straight to Heaven Extreme (deserves its own thread)

Great news... I am really looking forward to getting this one!
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Great news indeed. However, I have to ask though... if they doubled down on the rum, how did you get a Windsor comparison? That has gin in there (to some extent).
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

I smelled it today. It smells like the original formulation of Straight to Heaven that was raved about it years ago.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Looking forward to trying this latest one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Great. Another super expensive Kilian I might have to purchase. This is terrible news for my wallet.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Can't wait to sample

Basenotes Plus

I hope it is boozy the current straight to heaven which i have smells like straight patchouli i smell nothing else ��
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstench408 View Post
    I hope it is boozy the current straight to heaven which i have smells like straight patchouli i smell nothing else ��
    Wow - love this description of what happened to the scent. Used to be OTT boozy, now very obvious patch. Not just my nose smelling this!
    Currently wearing: Mr. Burberry by Burberry

Is it as synthetic as the original? I was so disappointed when I tried it! Will give it more chances in the future.

As I'm taking a day trip to Indianapolis with The Fashion Mall as a stop in the near future, I'll end up getting a sample of this if Saks has any samples in.

But a word of warning: The bar has been set higher than any other flanker that I have ever planned to sample because the original is my all-time favorite fragrance. My hopes are high for me liking this one because the booze and vanilla, not the patchouli, are what come out the most on my skin. Who knows - if I like it, I might celebrate my forthcoming advertising promotion with a bottle.

Don't let me down, Kilian.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 23rd March 2017 at 12:45 AM.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Will pass by the Kilian boutique in NYC and try it there this weekend.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Will pass by the Kilian boutique in NYC and try it there this weekend
    Anxious to see your thoughts.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I tried this at the Indianapolis Saks today. And I'm happy to say that this passed the sniff test with flying colors. (My wallet is a different story.)

This is still instantly recognizable as Straight to Heaven... you can't mistake the Extreme for other scents. The rum opening is still there, but the big changes are in the drydown. Again, no mistaking it for anything but Straight to Heaven, but the extra vanilla makes it richer and the sillage lasts longer than the original. The disappearing sillage of the original, the part I hated the most by far, is replaced by consistent sillage.

Overall, proof that even all-time favorites can be remastered with phenomenal results while keeping the core DNA of the original fully intact. If anyone had doubts about whether the Kilian brand would be just as good under Estée Lauder as it was as an independent, it's time to throw those doubts out the window because Kilian just produced the best flanker ever. And having met Kilian himself nine years ago plus knowing a former Estée Lauder exec, I had full confidence that Kilian Hennessy would keep the integrity of his brand intact.

Summary: The original was my favorite fragrance of all time. The key word is "was": This is the new favorite, improving it in the very few areas that needed improvement. I have a sample for a full-body wear as well. If it passes that, I'll get a bottle of the Extreme as a gift to myself for my promotion and give my bottle of the original to a longtime friend that loves it.

And as a Mad Man, double the booze and vanilla is only fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

My full bottle arrived in the mail yesterday. Im very happy with the purchase it smells AMAZING and is stronger than the original straight to heaven. Opens up more too and can be worn day or night.

Straight to Heaven is one of my favorites that I don't own. Wore a couple of samples and I loved the smell, but it performed bad on my skin and it was expensive. Now Kilian has upped the prices from 75 euro to 115 euro for the 50ml refill bottle in 2 years...
    This extreme sounds amazing and I don't see the refill bottle yet (only the full presentation) but I guess it will be more than 115 euro. I hate the constant price rise of the perfumes!!!

Trying it today, smells very similar to the original. Enough so that to be honest I think id have to wear them both on each hand to tell a clear difference.. Does it smell stronger.. Ya I think so, but I dont get the god awful performance that ive read some others have had. I guess you could say I agree that it is a stronger is a stronger vanilla and rum smell, but at the same time since ive been told that, that could be a placebo effect....

I guess for what its worth ill say this is a sucess, pretty much the same as the original I can tell off hand, just stronger and "better" smelling if you will. Id say it succeeds more than D&G the one EDP in that same of mind. Since although im in the minority I know "stronger" or not I kinda feel like that one has more cardamon and its just kinda thicker in a way that is not as enjoyable to me as the original. So im kinda iffy all the time whenever I wear that if I actually think its truly better or not.

I like the original ok, and use my samples from time to time but I thought this was truly awful
    Currently wearing: Marrakech Intense by Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by Dnaforever2203 View Post
    Great. Another super expensive Kilian I might have to purchase. This is terrible news for my wallet.
    LOL!
    A statement I identify with unfortunately

Basenotes Junkie

I never smelled the Original STH but I have a decant of the Extreme. I'll just buy the extreme at some point

On a perhaps random note I visited the kilian boutique recently and had a brief interaction with a SA there, she told me they are not allowed to give out samples of straight to heaven extreme as its limited edition so.. its not allowed....

Speaking of that in my experience in general ive kinda found that in general when I visit kilian boutiques they are not as "friendly" as creeds, tom fords etc etc. Anyone else notice this? Maybe just bad luck when I go in, ive only had 2 times ever where id say its been a positive interaction.

Then again admittedly I do generally buy online so maybe thats not fair to always try to sample, but hey ill get as many free samples before I buy cuz this shit is expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    On a perhaps random note I visited the kilian boutique recently and had a brief interaction with a SA there, she told me they are not allowed to give out samples of straight to heaven extreme as its limited edition so.. its not allowed....

Speaking of that in my experience in general ive kinda found that in general when I visit kilian boutiques they are not as "friendly" as creeds, tom fords etc etc. Anyone else notice this? Maybe just bad luck when I go in, ive only had 2 times ever where id say its been a positive interaction.

Then again admittedly I do generally buy online so maybe thats not fair to always try to sample, but hey ill get as many free samples before I buy cuz this shit is expensive!
    Agreed. I've had much better experiences with the SAs at Kilian in Saks than with the Kilian boutique store.

I've had great experience with their SAs in Saks including samples. This includes Indianapolis and Chicago.

The lady at Indy periodically sends me free samples by mail including black phantom because I bought bamboo harmony from her.

In my experience the SAs of these brands give more comps when you've already purchased once from them. Shows them you are a legit buyer.

ya i deff understand the mindset of buying from someone so then they are more eager to give samples. I did admittedly buy sublime vanille from nemians at the creed counter so that could be why they are nicer. And all the kilians ive bought online. I more so just posted this because I thought it seemed like a iffy excuse of saying we dont give samples of limited editions. Just sounded kinda like bullshit, like this person isnt into fragrances or something....

For what its worth I have gotten samples from them when I emailed directly before although it was quite slow still eventually got some which was deff appreciated and kind because again even buying samples all the time gets expensive.

I agree the no sample thing is odd and not consistent with my experience with kilians reps who have all been fantastic. Its possible the individual SA just didnt like you and didnt see you as a serious buyer. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I agree the no sample thing is odd and not consistent with my experience with kilians reps who have all been fantastic. Its possible the individual SA just didnt like you and didnt see you as a serious buyer. Shame on them.
    The SAs in the boutiques are stingy. The rep at Saks, at the end of our conversation, I asked if he had a sample of Sacred Wood...he gave me a sample of every fragrance he showed me (8 in total).

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I was worried before I tried it that I wouldn't like it since the description by kilian is something like "double the rum double the vanilla" and found that unappealing.

Smelled it on paper and it was too much rum. But the kind rep at Saks in Chicago gave me a sample while I was there.

Wore it yesterday and it smelled really good on skin. It felt like a combo of straight to heaven combined with Creed windsor. Ended up ordering a bottle.

I am a fan of STH and also have STH Splash of Lemon so I want to disclose this first since I am a STH guy lol. But I didnt like it on paper at first so try on skin!
    What you said is wrong. This thread should REPLACE the Straight to Heaven original thread and people should instead buy the Extreme version. I was all set to eventually buy the original STH but then over a month ago I smelled the Extreme version at Saks 5th Avenue and it takes every positive note that's in the original and 'amplifies' it and THIS is the way the original SHOULD have smelled from the beginning.

From what the rep at Saks told me, this "Extreme" flanker is a LIMITED EDITION and won't likely be sold forever. So, if you are going to buy it, buy it this year. I will be buying the Extreme version and will not be buying the original STH. The reason is that the Extreme version is too redundant and too similar to the original. I decided that only one of these are going to get my purchase and the Extreme is the hands down winner.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I ended up buying it and love the extreme now after multiple wearings. Combo of fresh and sexy and the sickly sweetness wears off.

if its too similar, is this just another money maker?

Not too similar. Stronger, sweeter, cleaner.