Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default You get what you pay for..how many times I heard this growing up

Hi guys. If I had a dollar for every time I heard my mother say, "You get what you pay for." LOL I think there is certainly some truth to that. However, I am hoping to get an endorsement for a reliable fragrance discounter I can count on for selling and shipping authentic frags.

Would love your thoughts on reliable on line discounters. For example, I am considering blind buying Boucheron pour home EDP, Dior eau savage, Azzaro Pour Homme L'eau, or Grey Veviter by Tom Ford--all based on recommendations for a summer scent for men over 40 I received here.. As always, I appreciate you guys. Thank you!
    Last edited by pippin06; 21st March 2017 at 12:57 AM.

Default Re: You get what you pay for..how many times I heard this growing up

Here's the problem (s): I don't know if the formulation you will get will be more or less an abomination (for purists, at least), so I wouldn't be able to recommend any. On the other hand, if I suggest buying vintage, the person usually doesn't want the "hassle" of "hunting down" vintage bottles and fears that they "went bad" (I would say avoid splash bottles unless you trust the seller). And that's before we even get to your taste/preferences! And you might like a scent now but hate it in a month. Thus, I suggest buying some decants. How much could a decant of Azzaro Pour Homme cost? You might find a bottle for $15 or so (50 ml, I'd guess). Or you could buy "clone"-ish bottles that aren't expensive. You can get a lot more than you pay for with fragrances, but you have to spend the time learning and "hunting," and that's assuming you know exactly what you want. Why not put time aside to sample? You might find out that you like scents you never imagined that you would !

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I definitely recommend Grey Vetiver - especially the original version. The original is simply called Grey Vetiver. The recent flanker version is called Grey Vetiver Eau De Toilette (the original is an EDP and it's excellent).

Check out Notino.com and fragrancenet.com ...both are totally legit.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Nio
    Petit Matin
    APOM
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Endymion
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Bergamote Soleil
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Blog Entries

OP: Don't worry about stuff like the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Here's the problem (s): I don't know if the formulation you will get will be more or less an abomination (for purists, at least), so I wouldn't be able to recommend any.
    Don't worry about it unless you're so experienced with each specific scent that you know the differences between different vintages with first hand experience (rather than "Well, some guy on the internet said..."). Smell the stuff currently in stores. If that smells good to you, you'll be happy with what you get from discounters. Some people are experts in terms of vintage perfumes and they know the difference between Eau Sauvage from the 1960s and today (for example). But if you go to a store and smell Eau Sauvage & like it, you can feel safe buying it from discounters.
    Rose 31
    Nio
    Petit Matin
    APOM
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Endymion
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Bergamote Soleil

Quote Originally Posted by pippin06 View Post
    Would love your thoughts on reliable on line discounters.
    FragranceNet & Notino are two online discounters that are very good. There are several other very reliable ones, but these are a good place to start.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Check out Notino.com and fragrancenet.com ...both are totally legit.
    These.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

OP: Don't worry about stuff like the following:

Don't worry about it unless you're so experienced with each specific scent that you know the differences between different vintages with first hand experience (rather than "Well, some guy on the internet said..."). Smell the stuff currently in stores. If that smells good to you, you'll be happy with what you get from discounters. Some people are experts in terms of vintage perfumes and they know the difference between Eau Sauvage from the 1960s and today (for example). But if you go to a store and smell Eau Sauvage & like it, you can feel safe buying it from discounters.
    Yes, I was trying to give the OP a sense of the issues involved. The title of the thread was about getting what one pays for, and I thought he (or someone who reads the thread) might be interested in vintage because essentially one can get a scent that would cost a whole lot more today (niche) if one finds the right vintage formulation. As I said, the person would need to put some time into the hobby, but if one goes to a hobbyist forum then we can assume he (or others who read the thread) will at least be interested in hearing about such possibilities. If he wants to simply spend money like the proverbial drunken sailor, then he could tell us that money is little object, or that he wants "modern" scents that will "fit in with the crowd," or whatever the case may be. The more specific the better.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st March 2017 at 02:16 AM.

LilyDirect is another alternative.

Thank you gentleman! MUCH appreciated! I am relatively new to this hobby, and each of you are making it more enjoyable, interesting, and understandable. Someday, I hope to help others like you are inspiring me.

Blog Entries

If he wants to simply spend money like the proverbial drunken sailor, then he could tell us that money is little object
    He implied no such thing. His post made it clear he's trying to save money & he's asking for our help. I just wanted to make sure your comment didn't confuse matters which are actually quite simple. He's not looking for vintages. His title of "You get what you pay for..how many times I heard this growing up" was about realizing he might be able to get more for his money.

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    LilyDirect is another alternative.
    Yes! I've had good luck there too! Come to think of it... I missed out on a bottle of Reflection Man for crazy cheap there a few years ago! I still got a great deal at Notino when I finally committed to the purchase though.

OP: If you shop around, you'll do well, so don't let it stress you. If you find a price that seems too good to be true, post it here in this thread & ask. We're helpful folks! Oh, and if you have a Sephora nearby, check to see if they carry Terre d'Hermes (especially the Terre d'Hermes Parfum version). They're great about making samples, and TdH might be right up your alley, so to speak!
    Rose 31
    Nio
    Petit Matin
    APOM
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Endymion
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Bergamote Soleil

FragranceX.com is another one.
    I still don't know who Alice is...

He implied no such thing. His post made it clear he's trying to save money & he's asking for our help. I just wanted to make sure your comment didn't confuse matters which are actually quite simple. He's not looking for vintages. His title of "You get what you pay for..how many times I heard this growing up" was about realizing he might be able to get more for his money...
    I disagree, and his follow-up post suggests you are incorrect. Many people simply don't know about "vintage greats" and the possibility of finding a "better" scent at a garage sale for $1 than at the "luxury boutique" at the local "upscale" mall. Many don't know much about sampling and decants either, including splits. He's a "big boy" and he (and other readers) can decide for himself. Your usual negativity is not going to dissuade me from making the points I think should be made in such threads, so go ahead and keep wasting your time! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    FragranceNet & Notino are two online discounters that are very good. There are several other very reliable ones, but these are a good place to start.
    This ^^^
    I'll add that Grey Vetiver is a fantastic choice
    Currently wearing: Wall Street by Victor

Boucheron pour home EDP is a solid scent. I think you will like it.

Grey Vetiver on the other hand is a snooze fest ! Why this gets so many props here is beyond me. If have sampled and like it, then all well and good. But it did not seem all that good to me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

It seems to me pippin06's inclusion of "You get what you pay for..how many times I heard this growing up" is referencing a popular saying which can also be understood as: be wary of bargains.

It appears to me that pippin06 is saying that although conventional wisdom cautions against bargains, can you Basenoters, nonetheless, point me to some safe sources for fragrances at discount prices.

pippin06 is abandoning mother's frequent counsel it seems.

I have also had good experiences with fragrancenet and Notino. Additionally, my experiences with fragrancex.com have all been positive.

Good luck, sir.
    Currently wearing: Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Boucheron pour home EDP is a solid scent. I think you will like it.

Grey Vetiver on the other hand is a snooze fest ! Why this gets so many props here is beyond me. If have sampled and like it, then all well and good. But it did not seem all that good to me.
    Agree on the Boucheron....also Jaipur Homme...!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

All the fragrance discounters online mentioned are known to be legit. I personally have experience with FragranceNet and they are legit with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

I personally wouldn't blind Buy any of those. You can go to any department store that sells fragrance and smell Grey Vetiver (which I like) Dior Sauvage is ok to me nothing I would own. It smells a little dated imo. So does Boucheron and Jaipur. I'm 35.

I'm not saying you wouldn't like them just because I don't. I'm saying I wouldn't blind Buy any of them.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dnaforever2203 View Post
    I personally wouldn't blind Buy any of those. You can go to any department store that sells fragrance and smell Grey Vetiver (which I like) Dior Sauvage is ok to me nothing I would own. It smells a little dated imo. So does Boucheron and Jaipur. I'm 35.

I'm not saying you wouldn't like them just because I don't. I'm saying I wouldn't blind Buy any of them.
    YES!

I strongly agree.

Don't blind buy them. Try them first and let your nose be your guide. Here's a perfect for-instance: I'm in my early 40s. The only scent you (the OP) mentioned that I can wear is Grey Vetiver, which certainly isn't to suggest the others are bad (Eau Sauvage, Boucheron and Jaipur). They're great! But they're not my style. Are they yours? The only way to know is to smell them. Grey Vetiver is very modern whereas the others smell classic - but if classic suits your style, that could be a good thing. Smell 'em and let your nose be your guide.

The easiest option is to go to a store nearby... and these shouldn't be too hard to find... but if you can't find them locally you can order samples at places like luckyscent.com and decantshop.com, both of which are totally legit (The Perfumed Court is another source for samples, but their shipping is woefully slow, so only consider them if you can't find samples elsewhere first). It's better to spend a few dollars to try them first to try them. I can't even begin to say how much money I've saved by sampling first. Just because something is great doesn't mean it's great for you, and that's A-OK. Everyone's taste is different. Mine leans very modern whereas, to me, Eau Sauvage smells like something Don Draper would wear... but if you can pull off that style, Eau Sauvage is excellent.

It's a matter of style, so sample first and figure out which scents suit your style.
    Rose 31
    Nio
    Petit Matin
    APOM
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Endymion
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Bergamote Soleil

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    It seems to me pippin06's inclusion of "You get what you pay for..how many times I heard this growing up" is referencing a popular saying which can also be understood as: be wary of bargains.

It appears to me that pippin06 is saying that although conventional wisdom cautions against bargains, can you Basenoters, nonetheless, point me to some safe sources for fragrances at discount prices.

pippin06 is abandoning mother's frequent counsel it seems.

I have also had good experiences with fragrancenet and Notino. Additionally, my experiences with fragrancex.com have all been positive.

Good luck, sir.
    But how do we know that the OP would prefer Grey Vetiver to something like Yardley's Citrus and Wood? He might prefer the latter and save quite a bit, and so one can certainly argue that he got more than he paid for in this kind of situation. One can't have it both ways, that is, a "newbie nose" might be better off buying these kinds of scents that are very well done and similar to expensive ones. Then, when they are "expert noses" they can decide if the "real thing" is worth so much more. In my experience, the real thing niche scent is rarely worth considerably more than the "cheapo" that is similar. The OP should know about this possibility, and if he decides to just go with the "big names," that is his decision and we can wish him luck.

Blog Entries

But how do we know that the OP would prefer Grey Vetiver to something like Yardley's Citrus and Wood?
    Here's a thought. Rather than trying to spiral a thread into a conversation about vintages and obscure recommendations a newcomer won't have access to... why not ask the OP a question to ask more about what he's interested in and then reply based on his input? You said "How do we know...?" The answer is easy. Ask. That's the beauty of a thread. Ask questions. Get answers.

He might prefer the latter and save quite a bit, and so one can certainly argue that he got more than he paid for in this kind of situation. One can't have it both ways
    He won't save quite a bit if the recommendation is to blind buy stuff. That's risky.

It helps to understand the difference between a newcomer asking for help and a longtime member who has tried hundreds if not thousands of fragrances and has tons of experience. By overwhelming a newcomer with too many suggestions and complications, it's easy to be more harmful than helpful even if that's not one's intention. It doesn't sound like this OP is looking for vintages or obscure options (heck, I still haven't found a sample of Yardley Citrus & Wood yet, though I'd love to smell it). He's looking for great prices for a few options he's researched. I definitely think it's helpful to add ideas, but keep it in perspective. Starting a newcomer off on a search for vintage formulations of scents from the 1960s or obscure recommendations he won't have access to locally is needlessly confusing. I sometimes think comments like that are about trying to look smart rather than trying to be helpful.

OP: If you want other suggestions, please feel free to ask. We love that sort of thing... but what matters most is that you smell things for yourself and let your own nose decide what smells good to you. In fact, if you're in the U.S., click my username and private message me. We'll bounce back & forth a few ideas and I'll send you a few samples (let's say ten). It's a free offer. Somebody on this forum did something awesome for me when I was a new member & I'd be more than happy to pay it forward. The only one on your list that I have is Grey Vetiver, but I'll send a sample along with some others that, at the very least, you'll enjoy trying. Seriously, feel free to take me up on the offer.
    Rose 31
    Nio
    Petit Matin
    APOM
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Endymion
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Bergamote Soleil

Numerous good to great fragrances can be discounted though and still be legit
    Currently wearing: Ungaro III by Ungaro

Hi guys. If I had a dollar for every time I heard my mother say, "You get what you pay for." LOL I think there is certainly some truth to that. However, I am hoping to get an endorsement for a reliable fragrance discounter I can count on for selling and shipping authentic frags.

Would love your thoughts on reliable on line discounters. For example, I am considering blind buying Boucheron pour home EDP, Dior eau savage, Azzaro Pour Homme L'eau, or Grey Veviter by Tom Ford--all based on recommendations for a summer scent for men over 40 I received here.. As always, I appreciate you guys. Thank you!
    Online discounters are mostly fine. About the scents you mention, I think that Azzaro PH, Grey Vetiver and Eau Sauvage are 100% blind-buy safe, either way - if you won't like them, you can easily trade them or give them as a gift to someone. They're crowd-pleasers and easy to like (and they're all good anyway!).

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat
    Currently wearing: Forever Now by Gucci

I will add (not with regards to these particular scents, but many others that may not be found at discounters) that for U.S. consumers it may often be much cheaper to purchase from Europe than the U.S. First in Fragrance and others - once the VAT tax is deducted - can be much cheaper than U.S.-based retailers.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

You guys are great! Thank you again for the thoughtful and helpful suggestions. New to this hobby, I was hoping the discounters such as fragrancenet and others are legit. Am delighted to learn from my fellow Basenoters that they are, and will now go that route with peace of mind. An elementary school teacher with a modest income, saving money is important to me, as I continue to explore this enjoyable hobby.
    Last edited by pippin06; 21st March 2017 at 12:43 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, I suggested Jaipur but that's not exactly a summer scent.

From your list all are nice but I would suggest the Boucheron. If you don't like it you can swap it away for something else.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Yes, Boucheron is first on my list to try. Looking forward to it!

90% of my stuff comes from fragrancenet.com.
    never have had an issue. make sure you add the coupon code if it doesn't already do it for you, saves you typically between 25-30%
    -steve
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

You guys are great! Thank you again for the thoughtful and helpful suggestions. New to this hobby, I was hoping the discounters such as fragrancenet and others are legit. Am delighted to learn from my fellow Basenoters that they are, and will now go that route with peace of mind. An elementary school teacher with a modest income, saving money is important to me, as I continue to explore this enjoyable hobby.
    Sample, sample, sample... LOL.

I agree

I will add (not with regards to these particular scents, but many others that may not be found at discounters) that for U.S. consumers it may often be much cheaper to purchase from Europe than the U.S. First in Fragrance and others - once the VAT tax is deducted - can be much cheaper than U.S.-based retailers.

+1 ^^^^^ THIS idea needs to be expressed more and understood by more of us around here. It wasn't until last year that I figured this out. I could have saved hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars had I known this. They often have the releases prior to the US as well.

As far as online discounters are concerned: +1 Fragrancenet, Fragrancex, Notino, and Lily Direct.

2nd tier options (places I check when the above don't carry what I want) include: Parfum1.com, Beautyencouter, and Maxaroma