Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What would be a welcome addition to my wardrobe?

I'm satisfied with my wardrobe, [EDIT as per below], but I would like to see what might be missing from the experts here:

Chanel Pour Monsieur (Good all-round Chypre) - Can be used anywhere

Derby (Replaced Yatagan) Definitely for work

Eau de Guerlain (Replaces most other citrus fragrances I've used)

Erolfa (Replaced Millesime Imperial)

Green Irish Tweed (Favorite)

Grey Flannel (Disgusting to some but charming to me. I often get compliments from this one)

Habit Rouge EDP (Replaced any vanilla scents)

L'Anarchiste (Don't know why I like it but I do, and it works well with Eau de Guerlain)

Rive Gauche pour Homme (Best Anise scent)

Terre d'Hermès (Replaced all the vetiver scents that went into hairspray mode. Vetiver can be so teasing and then disappointing)
    Last edited by ClassicFan; 7th April 2017 at 12:01 AM.

Default Re: What would be a welcome addition to my wardrobe?

No expert here but if you already consider buying Derby, then - if I were you - I'd do this. Derby is the only one in this bunch that might be completely gone in the near future or hellishly hell expesive.

Ambre Précieux (1988) - Amber
    Casbah (2012) - Incense
    Oud & Bergamot (2010) - Oud
    Héritage (1992) - Versatile
    L'Air du Désert Marocain (2005) - Unique
    L'Homme Sage (2005) - Warm spicy
    Lumière Noire pour Homme (2009) - Rose
    Patchouli Nobile (2009) - Patchouli
    Timbuktu (2004) - Vétiver

May I suggest Tom Ford's Italian Cypress? I think a classic woodsy fragrance would be a good addition to your wardrobe. Besides, it's my favorite male scent.
    Currently wearing: Coco by Chanel

Bel Ami (or Bel Ami Vetiver) by Hermes
    From Wardrobe: Collection Whish List

Chanel Sycomore, Bois des Iles
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka, Osmanthe Yunnan
    Christian Dior Vetiver, Oud Ispahan
    The Different Company Sel de Vetiver, Bergamote
    Ermenegildo Zegna Haitian Vetiver, Javanese Patchouli
    Elie Saab Essence No. 6: Vetiver, Essence No. 3: Ambre
    Boucheron Neroli d'Ispahan

Adding Mugler Cologne- as a fresh, versatile choice, Aramis Havana- as an inexpensive, but good quality choice among rather formal tobacco scents, Penhaligon`s Sartorial- both appropriate for everyday wear as much as on the more formal side as well, elegant enough to fit both requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    No expert here but if you already consider buying Derby, then - if I were you - I'd do this. Derby is the only one in this bunch that might be completely gone in the near future or hellishly hell expesive.
    ...when you take a look at ClassicFan's Wardrobe you'll find out that the scents he mentions are his Wardrobe...! (so he owns Derby already)
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 6th April 2017 at 08:19 AM.

I see you do enjoy violet leaf and leather, then you should probably add this classic: Christian Dior Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I see you do enjoy violet leaf and leather, then you should probably add this classic: Christian Dior Fahrenheit.
    This
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Give Aventus a try
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

timbuktu

If you like violet leaf, then maybe consider Narciso Rodriguez for Him (the Bleu Noir is pretty nice, too).
    Last edited by MattJP; 7th April 2017 at 12:39 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps an oud or incense prominent scent might be a possible addition.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Good suggestion
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    May I suggest Tom Ford's Italian Cypress? I think a classic woodsy fragrance would be a good addition to your wardrobe. Besides, it's my favorite male scent.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Casbah (2012) - Incense
    An excellent one for that type!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

You clearly have a taste for Guerlain so I would strongly suggest sampling Héritage if you haven't sniffed it yet. I think it would integrate well into your wardrobe of mostly classic and eventual-classic scents. In particular it brings in a little more front-and-center patchouli in the drydown than the others in your collection, a note that is deftly used in so many timeless masculines.

You are short on vetiver, so that's an entire world to explore.

I'd recommend sniffing the Acqua di Parma line and Zegna's Essenze series. Each has multiple winners that should serve you well.

Wow good suggestions. I do have Derby (new formulation) and I jealously guard it in its box. It does have a little bit of the hairspray thing but the projection after 6 hours is unreal. I do have a hate relationship with Oud and Incense but some fragrances do this alright. I used to have Antaeus but the poo smell turned me off of it. Fahrenheit is good and yes I do like violet. I even enjoyed Apres L'Ondee even if it smells like an old lady. I'm rethinking Bel Ami, but also maybe splurging on Vintage Knize Ten which I think didn't overdo the amber like the new formulation.

Another vote for Fahrenheit.

Excellent collection of classics!

Off the top of my head, other classics you could consider:
    Bandit (leather plus galbanum-you seem to like Grey Flannel, which has also green notes)
    Chanel Misia (violet-iris, this will bring you back to Edwardian times)

cacio

I know you addressed this to start, but I really think you need a classic vetiver to represent the note outside of TdH, since you are, after all, a Classics Fan. It sounds like you've had some poor experiences. Guerlain Vetiver or Givenchy Vetyver would be a good place to start.

Otherwise, I'd add a good fougere like Azzaro Pour Homme or, for something a little sweeter, Caron's Third Man.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th April 2017 at 03:03 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Junkie

Have you tried Royal Oud? Its tied next to my favorite Creed next to Aventus. Not very Oudy but really amazing to my nose.

"Ambre Précieux (1988) - Amber" This looks balanced based on the reviews and probably worth a sample.
    "Casbah (2012) - Incense" I'm not a big fan of nutmeg but the notes look interesting enough for a sample.
    "Oud & Bergamot (2010) - Oud" Strange reviews on this one but maybe another sample option.
    "Héritage (1992) - Versatile" "I would strongly suggest sampling Héritage" I've tried Héritage and it's good but I like Gris Clair better. I wish Patou Pour un Homme Prive was still in production.
    "L'Air du Désert Marocain (2005) - Unique" This one is amazing to me and close to a buy, but I'm not sure how wearable it would be.
    "L'Homme Sage (2005) - Warm spicy" I did like it but I didn't get to the point of wanting a bottle.
    "Lumière Noire pour Homme (2009) - Rose" I'm still figuring out the rose note and me wearing it. I do like Acqua di Parma and Royal Mayfair/Windsor.
    "Patchouli Nobile (2009) - Patchouli" I have Derby already but the reviews look good enough to sample anyways.
    "Timbuktu (2004) - Vétiver" "timbuktu" I do like this one a lot but I didn't bite the bullet. I think it just didn't feel like me, but it is a very good fragrance and with lots of projection.
    "Tom Ford's Italian Cypress" This would be good to compare to Polo Green.
    "Bel Ami (or Bel Ami Vetiver) by Hermes" I abandoned this for Antaeus but now I'm pretty sure it was a mistake. I'll try it again. The vetiver looks interesting as a flanker.
    "Mugler Cologne" I've already got Eau de Guerlain and will probably stick with it.
    "Aramis Havana" I've yet to find a good Bay Rum scent, other than an aftershave, but this might be something to try.
    "Penhaligon`s Sartorial" I actually don't like Penhaligon's. I remember liking Racquets, but none of the others I've tried. I'm not sure I tried Sartorial though.
    "Fahrenheit" I'm on the fence with this one. It does have Chevrefeuille and I do like the Creed version. As the scent develops it's very masculine. I think longer wears are required to make up my mind on it.
    "Give Aventus a try" I liked the French apples and burnt fruit quality but I was not very impressed overall. More like expensive deodorant. I think this is more about female attention which I completely understand.
    "You are short on vetiver, so that's an entire world to explore" "Guerlain Vetiver or Givenchy Vetyver" Unfortunately I did explore it but for some reason I was never satisfied. I started with Guerlain Vetiver and ended up in the end with Encre Noire, but in terms of wearing that scent Terre D'Hermes was the most wearable and enjoyable. I had the same problem with leather. I would fall in love with the top and middle notes but by the end I didn't like it so much.
    "Acqua di Parma line" I do like the powdery rose style but I ended up with Eau de Guerlain as my cologne scent.
    "Zegna's Essenze series" All of them look worth sampling.
    "Bandit" Not a fan of the florals here.
    "Chanel Misia (violet-iris, this will bring you back to Edwardian times)" The lipstick quality might turn me off but I do like Violet, Iris and Sandalwood.
    "Azzaro Pour Homme or, for something a little sweeter, Caron's Third Man" Here I would go with Chanel Pour Monsieur, though the Caron version is very similar.
    "Have you tried Royal Oud?" I'd like to give this one a shot!

"Perhaps an oud or incense prominent scent might be a possible addition". I think because I like Silver Mountain Water but I like Gris Clair even more then it would be Gris Clair. It has lavender with longevity, and the wood and incense are more satisfying in my experience. I almost forgot about this fragrance.

Thanks for the help community!

1) Or Black since you like Derby
    2) Signoricci 2
    3) Vintage Blenheim Bouquet or Lords
    4) Bowling Green
    5) Rocabar
    6) Coriolan

YSL's M7 Oud Absolu I feel would be to your liking.
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    YSL's M7 Oud Absolu I feel would be to your liking.
    It is.

I'm also going to sample the Au Coeur du Desert Extrait to see how that compares to LDDM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicFan View Post
    "Patchouli Nobile (2009) - Patchouli" I have Derby already but the reviews look good enough to sample anyways.
    ... that's just like saying: Patchouli...I have already a leather...?? Patchouli Nobile has nothing to do with Derby!

Also Boucheron pour Homme EDP could be worth (re-) testing

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicFan View Post
    Derby (Replaced Yatagan) Definitely for work
    Rive Gauche pour Homme (Best Anise scent)
    Vintage Yatagan and Jazz Prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ... that's just like saying: Patchouli...I have already a leather...?? Patchouli Nobile has nothing to do with Derby!
    There is Patchouli I can smell in it but it wouldn't be as prominent as the leather of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Vintage Yatagan and Jazz Prestige.
    I'll stick with Derby since it's in that Yatagan territory, but I have no idea how different the vintage is from the new version. The notes on Jazz Prestige look really good.

Looks in dismay and envy that you have Patou Pour Un Homme Prive
    Last edited by ClassicFan; 7th April 2017 at 01:10 PM.