Code of Conduct

Default I swear, Royal Mayfair smells better now than it did when I bought it months ago.

Hey all,

The dry down of this is just....the best. I keep smelling my arm periodically and it's nose poetry. The rose in this....I just can't imagine it being any better. Smells so natural. The opening is of course dominated by a 'fresh' eucalyptus power punch, and that takes at least a good hour to settle down so that the rose note takes center stage. The eucalyptus just keeps slowly, ever so slowly fading over the hours until it plays the tiniest role in the back round of the rose and the heck if I can smell the pine tree or citrus notes anywhere, so I must assume they are very faint for a supporting role. The rose in this is where its at and the eucalyptus takes its time to wear down.

I seriously think this smells better than when it was new months ago. I think this is definitely a fragrance where you must enjoy a fresh scent and adore the smell of rose. If you do, it just gives and gives to your nose the most excellent smell of rose.

Yeah, I'm gushing over this tonight because it's such an enjoyable scent and I have changed my mind about this being a Fall scent. This stuff is for Spring. Wear this in the spring. It's just delightful. Creed just seems to 'get' me. I used to think this one was one of Creed's "good but 'meh'" scents. Right now I smell things differently. I'm glad I bought it despite my initial reservations that it might be mediocre and just for something to be signed by Erwin Creed. I am very glad I bought it without over-thinking it or I would have 'passed' and missed out on today's enjoyment.

Default Re: I swear, Royal Mayfair smells better now than it did when I bought it months ago.

Good choice. Had that experience with a few Creeds.
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

Default Re: I swear, Royal Mayfair smells better now than it did when I bought it months ago.

That's why it costs so much - they have literally bottled magic!

"Nose poetry" - I like that. Royal Mayfair is indeed outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windsor is a great scent. I feel I have to be a deity or a rich banker to wear it but the sample was outstanding, with a dry-down that smells like inky dollar bills.
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Creed just seems to 'get' me.
    I can relate.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Love this Creed and glad to have a 120ml bottle of this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Love this Creed and glad to have a 120ml bottle of this.
    I'm sure it must be nearly empty by now! LOL.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I am very glad I bought it without over-thinking it or I would have 'passed' and missed out on today's enjoyment.
    Good decision!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Agreed! Royal Mayfair is brilliant!!! I love it so much. I only wear this with a white shirt and tie and it makes the wearer smell like...well...like royalty. It is very special and I absolutely love it!!!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I have a theory that some scents get shipped before they've had enough time to fully macerate. I bought a bottle of Reflection Man that didn't smell the same as my decant... but six months later, the two smell the same. The difference was noticeable in the base more than at the top. The decant's base was smooth whereas my new bottle's base was a bit rough. But like I said, six months later, the two smelled the same. Smooooooooth!

I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened with Royal Mayfair, especially since it was a new release.

I think a lot of the panic about reformulations is actually misunderstanding how perfumes age. Granted, some reformulations are certainly noticeable, but I think a lot of the time it's actually just a case of comparing a new bottle with one that has had time to mature.

I like Royal Marfair a lot. I'm not sure if it's my style though, but it's really good.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Rose 31
    APOM
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Noir De Noir
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M.
    Bergamote Soleil
    Aqua Celestia
    Original Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I have a theory that some scents get shipped before they've had enough time to fully macerate. I bought a bottle of Reflection Man that didn't smell the same as my decant... but six months later, the two smell the same. The difference was noticeable in the base more than at the top. The decant's base was smooth whereas my new bottle's base was a bit rough. But like I said, six months later, the two smelled the same. Smooooooooth!

I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened with Royal Mayfair, especially since it was a new release.

I think a lot of the panic about reformulations is actually misunderstanding how perfumes age. Granted, some reformulations are certainly noticeable, but I think a lot of the time it's actually just a case of comparing a new bottle with one that has had time to mature.

I like Royal Marfair a lot. I'm not sure if it's my style though, but it's really good.
    I smell the same thing with Royal Water. When I first bought it, the smell from the sprayer cap was pure, intense lemon citrus as the dominant note that blotted out all other notes. I use a Travalo as a portable sprayer and it has a cap that seals air-tight, whereas Creed's does not seal air tight. Well, I've owned Royal Water for nearly a year. I noticed about 2 months ago that the spray nozle of Royal Water smells more like Juniper Berries (kind of like Gin) and the lemon is not very present anymore.....while the sealed Travalo sat untouched for the winter, I popped the cap and it smelled heavily of lemon like the Creed bottle nozzle used to! So, yeah, Creed's Royal Water seems to have changed. And my recent usage of Royal Water was excellent. I was worried the Juniper Berries would be too loud but nope, that winning lemon and faint mint was still in full force. I think the mellowing of Royal Water's sharpness over the winter has made it a better fragrance. So, yeah, that is now multiple Creed fragrances that have improved over the course of around 6-8 months. I think you're on to something there L'HommeBlanc about macerating time. Creeds seem 'sharp' on day 1 but when they mellow down they are just beautiful.

I've only sampled, but I did quite like this.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 11th April 2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Huh, expected the Rocky mountains to be a little rockier than this...

Basenotes Plus

I did the same thing. After 10 minutes I turned into the guy walking around with his wrist to his nose. Even at the grocery store. Pure intoxication. Great fragrance IMO.

Due to the way my (old) house is I did not have an option; I had to store a significant amount of flasks in a cellar used to age wine. And believe me, many blends improved significantly.

For instance, Terre D''Hermes - in a conversation with my Brother, he insisted that he could not bear it, so he gave it away. Since I have both the EdT and the EdP, after we moved I decided to keep the last one in my wardrobe, and the EdT in the cellar.

The conversation made me aware of his informal review, so after two years I decided to revisit the EdT in the cellar. It was a big surprise, the blend changed for the better, i.e. it gained some depth and the metallic notes gave way to some dense quality that made it more complex.

I am positively sure that manufacturers aim at high rotation, they won't let their blends rest for some time since they want to recover their investments as fast as they can. In other words, I am not surprised at your observation, in some sense, time may be in the blend's favor if kept in the right conditions.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Several of my Creeds seemed to improve after some use and aging.

It's a beautiful fragrance!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

A few quotes on the subject:

Time necessary for a perfume (perfume concentrate mixed with alcohol) to be olfactively stable and get its full measure on the olfactive level. Note that to be really useful, maceration always has to be done on a large volume of perfume before being bottled. Once the perfume is in a bottle, it doesn’t macerate the same way. At Editions de Parfums, each perfumer decides on the time needed for the maceration of his or her composition. A time strictly adhered to by our house.

http://www.fredericmalle.com/about-us/perfume-glossary

And:

DO YOU MACERATE YOUR FRAGRANCES BEFORE BOTTLING THEM?

Of course we do, as one should! Like wines, perfumes have to age in large containers to give their full measure. This is even truer if one uses lots of natural ingredients or lots of rich base notes. (An Eau de Cologne needs less maceration than heavy chypres, for instance) Every “Classic” used to be macerated for a period varying between 4 and 8 weeks. Some mass-market companies eliminated this practice in the 80’s, to avoid immobilizing money for weeks. Once we are done developing a fragrance, we always decide of an aging protocol for this new perfume with his author. Some perfumers favor long maturation (aging the fragrance concentrate before mixing it with alcohol), others prefer long maceration (aging the finished solution). Portrait of a Lady, for instance is matured for 2 weeks then macerated 4 weeks, a 6 weeks aging process. One can note when working with fresh lab samples that they are much less powerful, less beautiful, and often less stable, than properly aged products. Time and mass are critical. As a rule of thumb, we find that one must manufacture a minimum of 5 Kg of concentrate at a time to get this extra body in a fragrance.

http://www.fredericmalle.com/eu/abou...store=eu_store

And:

…now with all the lab work and the synthetic aromas and all those scientific breakthroughs in perfume technology i believe the maceration days have long gone and even if they are still being used i think its only with high end perfumes that use resins still or heavier aroma chemicals that need time to mend together but with the electronic noses and head space technology and all the aroma chemicals i think its just mix and go
    from my experience of natural perfumery for over 20 years i still need to macerate even if i mix new aroma chemicals with synthetics and natural oils i still need to macerate for up to 3 month to get the full potential from a perfume and tweak in-between i have to keep them away from the sun and in a constant temp in days past they would even dig holes in the ground to macerate and not to have the impulse of re opening the bottles let them be and let the magic begin as u said ..so its not a figment of the perfumers imagination it is a reality that has been carried for centuries from generation to generation perfumery was such a closed field and the secrets of making it was highly guarded now its a more open field and all the old techniques and ways are changing and so is the new market with less and less fine perfumes to smell i think the new generation will not even know what fine perfumery is.

http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=79807

Now with Creed nothing would really surprise me.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    with the electronic noses and head space technology and all the aroma chemicals i think its just mix and go
    Yikes.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Rose 31
    APOM
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Noir De Noir
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M.
    Bergamote Soleil
    Aqua Celestia
    Original Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

All of my Creeds have improved with time and air in the bottle, usually in a few months.

While not familiar with this particular fragrance, at least not so far, went through a similar experience with others- as certain perceptions, the capacity, eagerness, interest to focus more strongly on certain notes, fragrances, certain fragrance developments evolve, changes like this one are definitely possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    A few quotes on the subject:

Time necessary for a perfume (perfume concentrate mixed with alcohol) to be olfactively stable and get its full measure on the olfactive level. Note that to be really useful, maceration always has to be done on a large volume of perfume before being bottled. Once the perfume is in a bottle, it doesn’t macerate the same way. At Editions de Parfums, each perfumer decides on the time needed for the maceration of his or her composition. A time strictly adhered to by our house.

http://www.fredericmalle.com/about-us/perfume-glossary

And:

DO YOU MACERATE YOUR FRAGRANCES BEFORE BOTTLING THEM?

Of course we do, as one should! Like wines, perfumes have to age in large containers to give their full measure. This is even truer if one uses lots of natural ingredients or lots of rich base notes. (An Eau de Cologne needs less maceration than heavy chypres, for instance) Every “Classic” used to be macerated for a period varying between 4 and 8 weeks. Some mass-market companies eliminated this practice in the 80’s, to avoid immobilizing money for weeks. Once we are done developing a fragrance, we always decide of an aging protocol for this new perfume with his author. Some perfumers favor long maturation (aging the fragrance concentrate before mixing it with alcohol), others prefer long maceration (aging the finished solution). Portrait of a Lady, for instance is matured for 2 weeks then macerated 4 weeks, a 6 weeks aging process. One can note when working with fresh lab samples that they are much less powerful, less beautiful, and often less stable, than properly aged products. Time and mass are critical. As a rule of thumb, we find that one must manufacture a minimum of 5 Kg of concentrate at a time to get this extra body in a fragrance.

http://www.fredericmalle.com/eu/abou...store=eu_store

And:

…now with all the lab work and the synthetic aromas and all those scientific breakthroughs in perfume technology i believe the maceration days have long gone and even if they are still being used i think its only with high end perfumes that use resins still or heavier aroma chemicals that need time to mend together but with the electronic noses and head space technology and all the aroma chemicals i think its just mix and go
    from my experience of natural perfumery for over 20 years i still need to macerate even if i mix new aroma chemicals with synthetics and natural oils i still need to macerate for up to 3 month to get the full potential from a perfume and tweak in-between i have to keep them away from the sun and in a constant temp in days past they would even dig holes in the ground to macerate and not to have the impulse of re opening the bottles let them be and let the magic begin as u said ..so its not a figment of the perfumers imagination it is a reality that has been carried for centuries from generation to generation perfumery was such a closed field and the secrets of making it was highly guarded now its a more open field and all the old techniques and ways are changing and so is the new market with less and less fine perfumes to smell i think the new generation will not even know what fine perfumery is.

http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=79807

Now with Creed nothing would really surprise me.
    Thanks Bigsly, great information.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

No amount of macerating or oxidizing or maturing can save this fragrance for me. The eucalyptus is just the worst.
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    No amount of macerating or oxidizing or maturing can save this fragrance for me. The eucalyptus is just the worst.
    I think the eucalyptus smells fresh and admittedly is a bit strong in the opening, but in just 1 or 2 hours the rose note takes over and the eucalyptus fades throughout the day. I sucks that you didn't like the eucalyptus part. In honesty I suppose Creed could have toned it down on the opening some and that would have improved the experience for some naysayers.

Same .. almost hated this at first.. now it's in my top 5
    I'll huff it all day long.. even that amazing euco opening.. reminds me of Santa Barbara... ahhh
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids