Code of Conduct

Default Silver Mountain Water vs Mefisto

I read they are quite similar, so, which one you think is better?
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Default Re: Silver Mountain Water vs Mefisto

Smw!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I prefer Mefisto. AND prefer Al Wisam Day over SMW.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Mefisto is much better, smoother and longer lasting, and does not have the annoying (to some) metallic note of SMW.

I prefer most any SMW clones to SMW, however, including Montale Boise Fruite and Bond No. 9 Hamptons.

Mefisto is miles ahead of them all, to me.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 18th April 2017 at 08:06 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I own both and prefer Mefisto but I don't think they are as close as this thread suggests them to be. Silver Mountain Water is more musky and more herbal(?) while Mefisto has a prominent grapefruit and underlying masculine floral tones. SMW smells not as lovely up close but the aura it gives is divine. As for synaesthetic associations Mefisto is pink and SMW is "wet" teal.

Mefisto is my favourite as for now but I'd feel helpless without SMW in my wardrobe.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Mefisto by quite a bit. There is definitely a not in SMW that keeps it from making the leap to "amazing", didn't realize until RedRaider wrote about a metallic note that some others might detect it too.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Silver Mountain Water for me.

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own them both....Flip a coin

I would rank the ones that are supposed to smell alike as follows:
    SMW (this one just has a special place in my heart and is so versatile)
    Mefisto (smooth and refined. If SMW can seem a little brash & cocky Mefisto is quietly confident)
    Al Wisam Day (best "Clone" of any fragrance I've encountered)
    Hamptons (No ink, no mettalic note, very good in its own right but not really a "close" copy)
    Wild Fruits (Much sweeter. Someone described it as 2 parts SMW / 1 part Millesime Imperial. I agree "although I prefer both MI and SMW)
    Boise fruit (a total let down for me, definitely made "in the style" of SMW but everything interesting removed)
    Al Rehab Silver ( where SMW is crisp and fresh this is stale and musty ....never understood why people claim they like it as much)

I wear Silver Mountain Water and Al Wisam Day the most and agree that Al Wisam Day is the closest representation of the scent there is. It may be the closest "clone" fragrance going.

I'll only chime in on the Bond Hamptons comparison, I've never understood it. I absolutely hate SMW and love Hamptons, don't find them similar at all and can't understand how some find the Bond to be a clone
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Baccarat Rouge 540
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Al Wisam Day (best "Clone" of any fragrance I've encountered)
    No lies were told. Great reinterpretation as I dig the use of rose in this composition.

Al Wisam Day is the closest representation of the scent there is. It may be the closest "clone" fragrance going.
    I couldn't agree more. I've never been one to seek out "clones," but I do have to say that this fragrance really hits the mark. I'd say that this is 90% SMW; the difference for me is the addition of a very subtle and well executed rose note.I bought it blindly given the rave reviews here on BN and figured if I didn't care for it, I could always swap or sell it. The first 15 min are a bit brash, but from that point forward you have a scent that not only smells like SMW, but performs better to boot. I'm looking forward to giving this a full wearing in the summer months.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I've never been one to seek out "clones," but I do have to say that this fragrance really hits the mark. I'd say that this is 90% SMW; the difference for me is the addition of a very subtle and well executed rose note.I bought it blindly given the rave reviews here on BN and figured if I didn't care for it, I could always swap or sell it. The first 15 min are a bit brash, but from that point forward you have a scent that not only smells like SMW, but performs better to boot. I'm looking forward to giving this a full wearing in the summer months.
    You really nailed it.
    The rose really brings a nice element and it doesn't open quite the same but the stuff is really great.

Back to the op's question
    If you are stuck on Mefisto and SMW get samples.....they are available and very cheap.
    Don't rush in and blind buy when for like $8 on luckyscent you can find the one you like best.
    Many people find it redundant to own both because, despite what others say, the similarities certainly exist.
    Yes they are different.....but they do carry a similar smell.

Normally you here people say "they smell different but have a similar vibe"
    On these two I feel the opposite....
    Strange as it may sound , They smell similar but have a different vibe.
    I've never heard that said before but to me, that's it.
    When you smell them it makes total sense.

IMO Mefisto's vibe is more refined, elegant, and formal where SMW is more carefree.
    There is no "better" it's just the one you prefer.
    If you define "better" as the one with "better performance" and "better ingredients" maybe go Mefisto but many will argue SMW just smells "better" and has "better" versatility.

Get samples and judge for yourself....the fun is in the process
    :-)
    Happy hunting
    Last edited by Dandydude; 18th April 2017 at 02:32 PM.

IMO Mefisto's vibe is more refined, elegant, and formal where SMW is more carefree.
    Seconding this. Similar to my impressions.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Already been sampling SMW for awhile. Like it but not quite that much I would buy a bottle yet.

Quite many times it seems to be compared to Mefisto and Mefisto to SMW so I gathered some interest to Mefisto. Will get a sample of that too and make my own decision. So definitely I ain't blind buying anything.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts what kind of scent Mefisto could be. And do I need both or just other. Or maybe I don't need either.

But in a case majority thinks Mefisto is 'better', that means I have to sample it for sure.
    And with such descriptions on differences, I think I might like Mefisto more. But I will check it out and see how it compares.
    Last edited by Herne; 18th April 2017 at 03:01 PM.

Check out Fiero at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Check out Fiero at the same time
    Definitely will do. Sounds very interesting.

Basenotes Plus

Own both like Mefisto more. Like Bond No 9 Hamptons more than both
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King

SMW for me. There are some differences of course but I think it just smells better. Mefisto has way more lemon, and has a windex sorta note in it as well. I can also deff pick up the iris but ya know, i dont think I could tell the different if I just smelled them randomly in the air with one another. Hell I associate the smell as being SMW when ive worn mefisto ive picked up the ink note from it as well. But again maybe its just because of me thinking SMW when I smell it so much..

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstench408 View Post
    Own both like Mefisto more. Like Bond No 9 Hamptons more than both

Why?

I've never tried Hamptons but like SMW a lot.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Hamptons is another SMW clone, as is Montale Boise Fruite.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Junkie

Rasasi Al Wisam Day is my fav of the SMW smell-alikes. It's incredibly linear, but sticks with the SMW opening whereas SMW turns more floral on me in the drydown.
    Please subscribe to my thread below, join my group on Facebook, and check out my collection (most available) doc!

Eric's collection
    Reddit splits and decants
    Current Splits

Splits & Decants on Facebook

Mefisto by a land slide.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Why?

I've never tried Hamptons but like SMW a lot.
    The metallic note in SMW bugs me sometimes. Hamptons is more floral a little brighter citrus to my nose and miles better performance
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King

Basenotes Junkie

I should be getting a decant of Mefisto today. I'm very interested in seeing how these two compare

I'll answer to my own question as received some samples.

Prefer Mefisto.

Also sampled Fiero as recommended. It opens up jaw dropping delicious, but mid and base has something that I find unpleasant. Somehow too old world like or something. Cannot pinpoint what is the note I dislike. But no, that's not for me.