Code of Conduct

Default Head & Shoulders Men Ultra Old Spice shampoo

Hey guys, I just came across this H&S shampoo from the new Men Ultra line. It says that it's boosted with "relaxing" sandalwood notes. Anyone tried it yet? If so what are your thoughts?

Default Re: Head & Shoulders Men Ultra Old Spice shampoo

I will never ever ever use H&S again. Even if I'd get 200 years old. It uses both, SLS and SLES as surfactants, one more drying and irritating than the other. I could tear of my scalp if I'd do.
    Everyone who experienced that it works good against dandruff, as long as one uses it and the flaky skin comes back after switching to another product, that is most likely intented. A product that really fights dandruff (mostly caused by eczemas btw. which again are caused by yeast funghi of the genus Malassezia) does not need to be constantly used. Once the funghi are removed by an antimycotic agent (like zinc pyrithione in this shampoo) and the skin is back in balance, that should be it. But as H&S uses some of the harshest surfactants that are allowed in shampoo bases it keeps the skin imbalanced, so the funghi can easily establish again, as soon as the antimycotic agent isn't used anymore. Many dandruff shampoos work that way, if they wouldn't they'd soon be redundant.

That said, no I haven't smelled or heard of it yet but you can be sure it is no natural, real sandalwood in it. If naturals are used, it's an other wood extract, more likely it is synthetic (but there are many nice sandalwood molecules available and the good thing ist, they are mostly much stronger than the actual oil.
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bśzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by NebelGeīst View Post
    I will never ever ever use H&S again. Even if I'd get 200 years old. It uses both, SLS and SLES as surfactants, one more drying and irritating than the other. I could tear of my scalp if I'd do.
    Everyone who experienced that it works good against dandruff, as long as one uses it and the flaky skin comes back after switching to another product, that is most likely intented. A product that really fights dandruff (mostly caused by eczemas btw. which again are caused by yeast funghi of the genus Malassezia) does not need to be constantly used. Once the funghi are removed by an antimycotic agent (like zinc pyrithione in this shampoo) and the skin is back in balance, that should be it. But as H&S uses some of the harshest surfactants that are allowed in shampoo bases it keeps the skin imbalanced, so the funghi can easily establish again, as soon as the antimycotic agent isn't used anymore. Many dandruff shampoos work that way, if they wouldn't they'd soon be redundant.
    I now know more about scalp condition reading this than I ever have before.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Jkay

now you made want to go and smell that shampoo.
    So far, the best sandalwood reconstruction I've found in a shampoo is in $$$$ Kerastase Elixir Ultime.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by NebelGeīst View Post

That said, no I haven't smelled or heard of it yet but you can be sure it is no natural, real sandalwood in it. If naturals are used, it's an other wood extract, more likely it is synthetic (but there are many nice sandalwood molecules available and the good thing ist, they are mostly much stronger than the actual oil.
    Wow, I used H&S before but never did research on it's ingredients. Now that I know I'll probably avoid it, thank you for the info.