Code of Conduct

Default Need advise for next buy

Hi guys. Have room for one more scent at the moment. Sampled A ton of scents recently. Looked at Amouage, Xerhoff and Creed. Own Aventus and GIT (love that one best). I'm leaning towards BdP now but am afraid it is in same lane as GIT. Can you tell me if it is in your opinion and advise me for next buy? I know it is peronal and all. I am 50+ in age, always nicely casual dressed.

Default Re: Need advise for next buy

...Amouage Dia Man, Honour Man, Ciel Man and Bracken Man...
    Currently wearing: Cologne du 68 by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I actually think that Bois Du Portugal would be a worthy choice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

User of Toilet Water

Bois du Portugal is very different from (and better than) GIT. BdP is classy and very masculine. As for Amouage, I especially recommend trying Epic Man, Honour Man, and Journey Man (everything Amouage offers is worth trying though.)
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks Hednic, i agree on BdP. It's beautifull. My only concern with it is, looking at all the reviews, that 90% see BdP with suit and tie. Im all jeans and casual. On the other hand I know that "Hey it's A scent, like it, love it wear it".
    Think you can pull it off with jeans?
    Last edited by SafeShave; 23rd April 2017 at 10:48 AM.

BDP is excellent. A Xerjoff that has some likeness is Fiero.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

GIT may already be a great choice and while fully appropriate with casual wear, adding an extra hint of classiness to these particular fashion style

If you're looking for versatile, BDP isn't it. BDP is a great fragrance, but if you're a casual guy, you may feel like BDP is wearing you.

Amourage Reflection Man is a very versatile scent that smells like an upscale blending of Le Male and JOOP! but is far better. This can be easily dressed up or down and is very well made.

As for Creed fragrances, I'd go with Royal Oud. It is a "dressier" fragrance, but could be worn with much greater ease than BDP and smells great.
    Last edited by checkmate; 23rd April 2017 at 12:24 PM.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Witness by Jacques Bogart

Definitely Royal Oud is great. You should at least try it.
    From Xerjoff I like Mefisto best.
    Maybe try something from Guerlain?
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

concur with this!

Why don't u try terre de Hermes ....Especially the EDP m...I think it will not disappoint u ....As it's in the same league as many of the xerjoff / amouages etc....And it's quite a contemporary likeable scent for any occasion ....And has some maturity about its smell without it being Oldish !! I love it and I am a little over 40 !!

Start acting your age, try a vetiver.

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - Racine
    Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee
    Profumo di Firenze 1954 Terrarossa
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Colonia Fiorentina / Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Dolce Prospettiva / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDP
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Great input all. A vetiver eh? Saw TdH, but would rather choose Red Vetyver Montale in A vetiver case. Still leaning towards BdP though...

Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    Thanks Hednic, i agree on BdP. It's beautifull. My only concern with it is, looking at all the reviews, that 90% see BdP with suit and tie. Im all jeans and casual. On the other hand I know that "Hey it's A scent, like it, love it wear it".
    Think you can pull it off with jeans?
    Absolutely!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

This

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I vote BdP. Classic, awesome scent. I wear with jeans. It is not in the same "lane" as GIT.

GIT and BdP were the two scents that really put Creed on the map in the mid to late 80s. Both have hung around for good reason.

It is a bit of a "mature" scent, but at 50+ that really shouldn't bother you.

I'd also toss out Reflection Man to consider. May be more versatile and a bit better with casual dress. There are many comments that it smells like Le Male. That's overstated. There is a moment or two in dry down where it does sort of conjure Le Male, but it is much more refined and discreet.

BDP Will be it. But...just made A sample order for Reflection man. Allthough I really dislike JPG le Male (My neighbour waires this every day, years now).
    Also sampled Serge Lutens Chergui and Unum Opus 1144.

Great smell, great feelings

BDP Will be it. But...just made A sample order for Reflection man. Allthough I really dislike JPG le Male (My neighbour waires this every day, years now).
    Also sampled Serge Lutens Chergui and Unum Opus 1144.

Guessing you're a wet shaver so I think you'll like BdP.

Sampling is the way to go with Reflection. My experience with sampling may not be similar to everyone else, but I often find if a frag I sample conjures something else in initial sniff, I may dismiss it. But after a few wearings, the scent many reveal itself to be quite different. This is my long way of saying, give Reflection a couple of wearings before you dismiss it as "just like Le Male."

I had the same "smells like Le Male" the first time I sampled Antico Caruso. The first blast smells like Le Male, but it is quite different in full wearing.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd April 2017 at 08:23 PM.

Dependent

Give Royal Oud a try, wore this one last night and Im always amazed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Give Royal Oud a try, wore this one last night and Im always amazed by it.
    Sampled Royal Oud, didn't do it for me, but I'll give it another go soon

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Guessing you're a wet shaver so I think you'll like BdP.

Sampling is the way to go with Reflection. My experience with sampling may not be similar to everyone else, but I often find if a frag I sample conjures something else in initial sniff, I may dismiss it. But after a few wearings, the scent many reveal itself to be quite different. This is my long way of saying, give Reflection a couple of wearings before you dismiss it as "just like Le Male."

I had the same "smells like Le Male" the first time I sampled Antico Caruso. The first blast smells like Le Male, but it is quite different in full wearing.
    You're very right. i am A wet shaver, and I also think I Will like BdP because of it. But it's just A beautifull scent with A dream for A drydown.
    you're also right about sampling, so I Will sample Reflection man. I do like the incense and smokeyness in Amouage. Though Interlude is A bit to much. Have Sampled Eric and Memoir also. Have to look into Those yet.

Basenotes Plus

I recommend trying Hdp 1725 Casanova and also MFK Lumiere Noir. Both are interesting and versatile (I think).
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I recommend trying Hdp 1725 Casanova and also MFK Lumiere Noir. Both are interesting and versatile (I think).
    Thanks DanHD i have 1725 in My (small) collection, beautifull scent. Will look into the MFK Lumière Noir

You're very right. i am A wet shaver, and I also think I Will like BdP because of it. But it's just A beautifull scent with A dream for A drydown.
    you're also right about sampling, so I Will sample Reflection man. I do like the incense and smokeyness in Amouage. Though Interlude is A bit to much. Have Sampled Eric and Memoir also. Have to look into Those yet.

Reflection was seen as a bit of a departure for Amouage. it has none of their usual notes- incense or smokiness. Some felt it was a bit of a sell out due to its slight resemblance to Le Male.

I only recently gave it a try and liked it. A lighter fresh scent on me with pretty good legs and I would assert very versatile- good for dress or casual.

Try Amouage Memoir Man...so unique and great!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hi guys. Have room for one more scent at the moment. Sampled A ton of scents recently. Looked at Amouage, Xerhoff and Creed. Own Aventus and GIT (love that one best). I'm leaning towards BdP now but am afraid it is in same lane as GIT. Can you tell me if it is in your opinion and advise me for next buy? I know it is peronal and all. I am 50+ in age, always nicely casual dressed.
    I don't think BdP is in the same lane as GIT at all. If you like it you can get that one and be very happy with your choice.

BDP Will be it.

Just bought the BdP while they still have the 120 ml at Soleil d'or. Good deal i think $174. Feeling so happy now. Will still sample others as said.

Great scents, great feelings

Just bought the BdP while they still have the 120 ml at Soleil d'or. Good deal i think $174. Feeling so happy now. Will still sample others as said.

Great scents, great feelings
    Congrats! Great scent!
    Currently wearing: Sunshine Man by Amouage