Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Default Need advise for next buy

    Hi guys. Have room for one more scent at the moment. Sampled A ton of scents recently. Looked at Amouage, Xerhoff and Creed. Own Aventus and GIT (love that one best). I'm leaning towards BdP now but am afraid it is in same lane as GIT. Can you tell me if it is in your opinion and advise me for next buy? I know it is peronal and all. I am 50+ in age, always nicely casual dressed.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    ...Amouage Dia Man, Honour Man, Ciel Man and Bracken Man...
    Currently wearing: Cologne du 68 by Guerlain

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    227,950

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    I actually think that Bois Du Portugal would be a worthy choice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4
    User of Toilet Water
    Bangkok Hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    2,194

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Bois du Portugal is very different from (and better than) GIT. BdP is classy and very masculine. As for Amouage, I especially recommend trying Epic Man, Honour Man, and Journey Man (everything Amouage offers is worth trying though.)
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

  5. #5

    Default Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I actually think that Bois Du Portugal would be a worthy choice.
    Thanks Hednic, i agree on BdP. It's beautifull. My only concern with it is, looking at all the reviews, that 90% see BdP with suit and tie. Im all jeans and casual. On the other hand I know that "Hey it's A scent, like it, love it wear it".
    Think you can pull it off with jeans?
    Last edited by SafeShave; 23rd April 2017 at 10:48 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    BDP is excellent. A Xerjoff that has some likeness is Fiero.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    GIT may already be a great choice and while fully appropriate with casual wear, adding an extra hint of classiness to these particular fashion style

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    If you're looking for versatile, BDP isn't it. BDP is a great fragrance, but if you're a casual guy, you may feel like BDP is wearing you.

    Amourage Reflection Man is a very versatile scent that smells like an upscale blending of Le Male and JOOP! but is far better. This can be easily dressed up or down and is very well made.

    As for Creed fragrances, I'd go with Royal Oud. It is a "dressier" fragrance, but could be worn with much greater ease than BDP and smells great.
    Last edited by checkmate; 23rd April 2017 at 12:24 PM.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Witness by Jacques Bogart

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Definitely Royal Oud is great. You should at least try it.
    From Xerjoff I like Mefisto best.
    Maybe try something from Guerlain?
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

  10. #10
    Dependent Francolino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    6,417

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I actually think that Bois Du Portugal would be a worthy choice.
    concur with this!

  11. #11
    Dependent Himalayan odyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New delhi
    Posts
    1,742

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Why don't u try terre de Hermes ....Especially the EDP m...I think it will not disappoint u ....As it's in the same league as many of the xerjoff / amouages etc....And it's quite a contemporary likeable scent for any occasion ....And has some maturity about its smell without it being Oldish !! I love it and I am a little over 40 !!

  12. #12
    Dependent MegaMav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,267

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Start acting your age, try a vetiver.

    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - Racine
    Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee
    Profumo di Firenze 1954 Terrarossa
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Colonia Fiorentina / Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Dolce Prospettiva / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDP
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

  13. #13

    Default Need advise for next buy

    Great input all. A vetiver eh? Saw TdH, but would rather choose Red Vetyver Montale in A vetiver case. Still leaning towards BdP though...

  14. #14
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    227,950

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    Thanks Hednic, i agree on BdP. It's beautifull. My only concern with it is, looking at all the reviews, that 90% see BdP with suit and tie. Im all jeans and casual. On the other hand I know that "Hey it's A scent, like it, love it wear it".
    Think you can pull it off with jeans?
    Absolutely!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    35,003

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I actually think that Bois Du Portugal would be a worthy choice.
    This

  16. #16
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar
    Posts
    4,793

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    I vote BdP. Classic, awesome scent. I wear with jeans. It is not in the same "lane" as GIT.

    GIT and BdP were the two scents that really put Creed on the map in the mid to late 80s. Both have hung around for good reason.

    It is a bit of a "mature" scent, but at 50+ that really shouldn't bother you.

    I'd also toss out Reflection Man to consider. May be more versatile and a bit better with casual dress. There are many comments that it smells like Le Male. That's overstated. There is a moment or two in dry down where it does sort of conjure Le Male, but it is much more refined and discreet.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    BDP Will be it. But...just made A sample order for Reflection man. Allthough I really dislike JPG le Male (My neighbour waires this every day, years now).
    Also sampled Serge Lutens Chergui and Unum Opus 1144.


    Great smell, great feelings

  18. #18
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar
    Posts
    4,793

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    BDP Will be it. But...just made A sample order for Reflection man. Allthough I really dislike JPG le Male (My neighbour waires this every day, years now).
    Also sampled Serge Lutens Chergui and Unum Opus 1144.


    Great smell, great feelings
    Guessing you're a wet shaver so I think you'll like BdP.

    Sampling is the way to go with Reflection. My experience with sampling may not be similar to everyone else, but I often find if a frag I sample conjures something else in initial sniff, I may dismiss it. But after a few wearings, the scent many reveal itself to be quite different. This is my long way of saying, give Reflection a couple of wearings before you dismiss it as "just like Le Male."

    I had the same "smells like Le Male" the first time I sampled Antico Caruso. The first blast smells like Le Male, but it is quite different in full wearing.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd April 2017 at 08:23 PM.

  19. #19
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,016

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Give Royal Oud a try, wore this one last night and Im always amazed by it.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Give Royal Oud a try, wore this one last night and Im always amazed by it.
    Sampled Royal Oud, didn't do it for me, but I'll give it another go soon


    Great smell, great feelings

  21. #21

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Guessing you're a wet shaver so I think you'll like BdP.

    Sampling is the way to go with Reflection. My experience with sampling may not be similar to everyone else, but I often find if a frag I sample conjures something else in initial sniff, I may dismiss it. But after a few wearings, the scent many reveal itself to be quite different. This is my long way of saying, give Reflection a couple of wearings before you dismiss it as "just like Le Male."

    I had the same "smells like Le Male" the first time I sampled Antico Caruso. The first blast smells like Le Male, but it is quite different in full wearing.
    You're very right. i am A wet shaver, and I also think I Will like BdP because of it. But it's just A beautifull scent with A dream for A drydown.
    you're also right about sampling, so I Will sample Reflection man. I do like the incense and smokeyness in Amouage. Though Interlude is A bit to much. Have Sampled Eric and Memoir also. Have to look into Those yet.



    Great smell, great feelings

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    DanHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Posts
    1,869

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    I recommend trying Hdp 1725 Casanova and also MFK Lumiere Noir. Both are interesting and versatile (I think).
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

  23. #23

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I recommend trying Hdp 1725 Casanova and also MFK Lumiere Noir. Both are interesting and versatile (I think).
    Thanks DanHD i have 1725 in My (small) collection, beautifull scent. Will look into the MFK Lumière Noir


    Great smell, great feelings

  24. #24
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar
    Posts
    4,793

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    You're very right. i am A wet shaver, and I also think I Will like BdP because of it. But it's just A beautifull scent with A dream for A drydown.
    you're also right about sampling, so I Will sample Reflection man. I do like the incense and smokeyness in Amouage. Though Interlude is A bit to much. Have Sampled Eric and Memoir also. Have to look into Those yet.



    Great smell, great feelings
    Reflection was seen as a bit of a departure for Amouage. it has none of their usual notes- incense or smokiness. Some felt it was a bit of a sell out due to its slight resemblance to Le Male.

    I only recently gave it a try and liked it. A lighter fresh scent on me with pretty good legs and I would assert very versatile- good for dress or casual.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Try Amouage Memoir Man...so unique and great!

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus
    Mythrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,621
    Blog Entries
    72

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    Hi guys. Have room for one more scent at the moment. Sampled A ton of scents recently. Looked at Amouage, Xerhoff and Creed. Own Aventus and GIT (love that one best). I'm leaning towards BdP now but am afraid it is in same lane as GIT. Can you tell me if it is in your opinion and advise me for next buy? I know it is peronal and all. I am 50+ in age, always nicely casual dressed.
    I don't think BdP is in the same lane as GIT at all. If you like it you can get that one and be very happy with your choice.

  27. #27
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    227,950

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    BDP Will be it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Just bought the BdP while they still have the 120 ml at Soleil d'or. Good deal i think $174. Feeling so happy now. Will still sample others as said.


    Great scents, great feelings

  29. #29

    Default Re: Need advise for next buy

    Quote Originally Posted by SafeShave View Post
    Just bought the BdP while they still have the 120 ml at Soleil d'or. Good deal i think $174. Feeling so happy now. Will still sample others as said.


    Great scents, great feelings
    Congrats! Great scent!
    Currently wearing: Sunshine Man by Amouage

Similar Threads

  1. What's next? Please advise
    By badnaam in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6th September 2012, 07:17 AM
  2. Little Advise?
    By scfunk2002 in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th April 2012, 02:18 PM
  3. Need some advise.
    By gelo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th January 2011, 07:18 AM
  4. What to advise me?
    By Giustino in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000