Code of Conduct

Default The Art of Shaving. Sandalwood Essential Oil OR Sandalwood & Cypress? And/Or Fave Sandalwood Scent?

Hope a woman is welcome over here in your neck of the woods. These are (technically) men's scents, so figured I'd ask in this Forum.
    My favorite sandalwood ever done is the original Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood. Am testing The Art of Shaving Sandalwood & Cypress, today. It's light but the sandalwood is quite good (smooth, creamy) in here. I'm thinking I'll add one of these to my collection ... Which do you prefer? I've only smelled the Sandalwood in shaving products, was nice. Strangely, the new Sandalwood & Cypress seems to be costing more on eBay, anyway. I'd of thought it would be the older, original version that everyone preferred.
    Thoughts?

If not on these, then would love to hear about your favorite sandalwood fragrance(s)?

~ thanks, guys.
    Last edited by Ahimsa; 24th April 2017 at 05:55 PM.
    “All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
    For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
    ― Charles M. Schulz

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The Art of Shaving. Sandalwood Essential Oil OR Sandalwood & Cypress? And/Or Fave Sandalwood Sce

Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post

If not on these, then would love to hear about your favorite sandalwood fragrance(s)?

~ thanks, guys.
    Women are always welcome! My favorite sandalwood is Santal De Mysore by Montale, unfortunately no longer available. Another I very much enjoy that is however is Santal by Fragonard.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: The Art of Shaving. Sandalwood Essential Oil OR Sandalwood & Cypress? And/Or Fave Sandalwood Sce

You might find this recent and extensive sandalwood thread helpful.

But to answer your question, my undisputed favorite sandalwood to date is Chanel Bois des Iles.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 24th April 2017 at 09:35 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Women are always welcome! My favorite sandalwood is Santal De Mysore by Montale, unfortunately no longer available. Another I very much enjoy that is however is Santal by Fragonard.
    Ah, I LOVE the Fragonard. So happy to have searched out an older formulation, several years ago now. The one I have comes in an aluminum bottle. Do you have the new version, or an older formula? Seems that every, single company I'm looking at, lately (Crabtree & Evelyn, Fragonard, L'Occitane on & on) are making changes for the worse. Maybe the formula has not changed w/ Fragonard, just the packaging ...? (doubtful) I never knew that Montale did a Mysore! I'll bet it's fabulous.
    Last edited by Ahimsa; 24th April 2017 at 05:55 PM.
    ― Charles M. Schulz

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You might find this recent and extensive sandalwood thread helpful.

But to answer your question, but undisputed favorite sandalwood to date is Chanel Bois des Iles.
    ...OK, thanks. Yes, Chanel Bois des Iles is a beauty.
    ― Charles M. Schulz

While not familiar with the two options first mentioned, the personal favorites of this category include, in no particular order, C&E Sandalwood, Creed Original Santal, Arden Men Sandalwood among others

Welcome. I do fear that there is a rather large gap between the Art of Shaving products, on the one hand, and, on the other, Crabtree & Evelyn's “Extract of Mysore Sandalwood” or those rare and limited modern releases, like the Montale or L'Arbre by Iunx, that have real mysore. Of the offerings widely available, I find MPG's Santal Noble to have a very nicely constructed sandalwood accord, and they have just released an EDP version.

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

I am currently using Sunday's to test Sandalwood fragrances and shaving soaps/aftershaves. I haven't tested enough product combinations yet to have an opinion. This will take potentially 3 months swapping products and combinations before I make up my mind. However, I've smelled a few of the samples from the vials and I have to say my prediction is that Dyptique's Tam Dao is likely going to overshadow all the others. I have a Fragonard sample that I tested on Sunday, although it was nice, it seemed to not last more than a few hours and it would get really close to the skin. So, it seems to need re-application often for me. Also, I wore a sandalwood deodorant from Sam's Natural that really is a dry, sawdust-like sandalwood smell. Like fresh cut lumber. The scent from the deodorant seemed to 'intrude' on the Fragonard scent. So, I am again in a new search for a more subtle, refined deodorant that can match the more sweet. soft sandalwood fragrances. I didn't expect Sam's Natural to be so brutish and unrefined on the Sandalwood scent. Their Bay scent was perfection when I tested various products for my Bay Rum setup, but apparently this is the first time Sam's Natural let me down. Also I think although WSP's shave soap and aftershave seemed like they would be 'neutral', even those seemed to interfere slightly with the Fragonard.

It seems like differences in Sandalwood are very detectable to the nose and if products are 'layered', then they all must share similar quality levels to avoid disturbing the scent of the other items. I think the WSP shave soap/aftershave fade in a few hours, but the deodorant doesn't.

If anyone has any recommendations on a more refined, creamier sandalwood deodorant (I'm thinking of looking for and trying a vanilla-sandalwood in order to try and ensure some kind of semi-sweet smoothness in case the deodorant makes itself detectable).

I noticed the after shave and shave soap of WSP became much more 'dry', not as sweet as it seemed to smell like off the containers when I first got them. After about 10 minutes or so they both leave a very dull, boring, 'dry' sandalwood smell which doesn't seem to blend with the fragrance.

If anyone has any recommendations on what might blend well with a creamy sandalwood fragrance (shave soap/aftershave/deodorant) it would be appreciated. There is a possibility that Sandalwood is such a delicate and identifiable fragrance that it might not play well with other sandalwood smells. I might have to opt to use a completely 'unscented' lineup of shave products due to that possible interference. Up until now I've always been able to find very good supporting products that don't interfere with the main fragrance and in a few cases even make it better. In this case it's proving that any supporting products are 'clashing'.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Basenotes Member

Rose, neroli or citrus are my favourite layering..

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    Ah, I LOVE the Fragonard. So happy to have searched out an older formulation, several years ago now. The one I have comes in an aluminum bottle. Do you have the new version, or an older formula? Seems that every, single company I'm looking at, lately (Crabtree & Evelyn, Fragonard, L'Occitane on & on) are making changes for the worse. Maybe the formula has not changed w/ Fragonard, just the packaging ...? (doubtful) I never knew that Montale did a Mysore! I'll bet it's fabulous.
    I actually have both - the one in the aluminum bottle and the one in the round glass bottle and happen to like both. The Montale (an extrait) was only available to purchase for a short time at their first boutique and was part of their Confidential Collection. Was lucky to get a bottle at he time.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.