Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Warm,Woody,Creamy Colonges?

What are some great warm, creamy and woody scents that have a good longevity? I'd appreciate a short description of it, i'm looking for a fragrance that is something ladies would like but is also something that smells good and isn't over powering.

Default Re: Best Warm,Woody,Creamy Colonges?

If u like sandalwood smell ....the most woody & creamy sweet smell of it is displayed in tam dao EDP.....women love it and dry down is a sweet aromatic whiff ....for a long long time .....! A true masterpiece indeed !
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't know about creamy but Splendid Wood is a nice woody scent that smells nice and at least on my skin performs well.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

don't deceive with belief

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dyer View Post
    What are some great warm, creamy and woody scents that have a good longevity? I'd appreciate a short description of it, i'm looking for a fragrance that is something ladies would like but is also something that smells good and isn't over powering.
    I suggest -

Carven Homme
    Guerlain Heritage
    Chanel Egoiste
    Tam Dao EdP

+1 Tam Dao - creamy sandalwood

Maybe Habit Rouge EDP - Lemon, leather, oud and vanilla
    Last edited by ClassicFan; 29th April 2017 at 07:44 PM.
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Also adding Creed Original Santal

Highlight some things about these fragrances, I'm relatively new to quality scents

You wouldn't say this is a feminine smell my any chance would you?

Most of these can be unisex. It's really up to the sniffer to decide if the scent fits their personal concept or not. Trying and then buying is best.

Highlight some things about these fragrances, I'm relatively new to quality scents
    You can read the reviews, I provided the links.

Usually woody fragrances go towards being dry (Memoir Man) or smoky (Bois d'Ascese). The moment it has to be woody AND creamy - it most likely has to be a sandalwood fragrance as this is the only traditional wood material that has an inherent creaminess with hints of sweetness, and not dark but excellent complexity.

All the ones I listed in my post utilise sandalwood - in fact up to post no. 7 I haven't seen any fragrance suggested that doesn't use or doesn't claim to use sandalwood.

So effectively the question is what are some good sandalwood fragrances, and many have been suggested already. You might even want to get a small sample of sandalwood essential oil.

There are other possibilities of perfumes where the creamy/woody aspects come from hybrid accords, but typically the creamy aspect is derived from vanilla, amber etc. which often dominate the woody aspect of the composition.

I'm not saying or suggesting anything 'creamy, woody' has to be a sandalwood fragrance - but merely stressing the point that I cannot think of anything off the top of my head that is not a sandalwood.

Thanks for the descriptions, I'm looking at Tam Dao, and Chanel Egoiste. Personally, which of these do you think you'd favor over the other? Which is finer crafted, and how is the projection and longevity on both of these?

Even Original Santal smells quite unisex, it is quite creamy, flinty, but also rich and complex on the woody, perhaps also powdery aspect

Thanks for the descriptions, I'm looking at Tam Dao, and Chanel Egoiste. Personally, which of these do you think you'd favor over the other? Which is finer crafted, and how is the projection and longevity on both of these?
    I remember Tam Dao having lots of projection and longevity. I haven't tried Egoiste on my skin yet.

Just a small note - I have been referring to Tam Dao EdP. There is also a Tam Dao EdT, which I have not referenced.

I like both but prefer Egoiste by a small margin (incidentally both are on my wish list). Both are equally well crafted. If projection is important, then Tam Dao EdP would perhaps be the one to go for. I find Tam Dao EdP to be long - lasting with fair projection, and Egoiste to have low but discernible projection and good duration - but perhaps not as long lasting as Tam Dao EdP.

Egoiste is the more complex fragrance in my experience. Both are centred around a creamy, woody accord, but Egoiste has many other subtle flourishes and is more abstract. An analogy would be that Tam Dao EdP is a cappuccino, while Egoiste is a cappuccino that has been carefully flavoured and accentuated.

I would suggest you to try both over time and decide the one you like best. This might or might not be difficult depending on where you live. I would not advise a 'blind buy'. In case you are having that itch, I would suggest Carven Homme (somewhat similar to Egoiste but also a little different) which is significantly less inexpensive, but just as well crafted. However, Carven Homme is somewhat soft and quiet, though still possessing reasonable duration on skin.

Lastly, if you want something creamy, woody - but projection and longevity are extremely important to you then I would suggest Antico Caruso, though it is significantly more expensive. However, I can confidently say that Tam Dao EdP is potent enough for most practical purposes.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 29th April 2017 at 08:21 PM.

+1 for Tam Dao EDP

Eau Des Baux
    My updated top ten, in no particular order:
    Bentley Intense
    Cosmair Polo Green
    Green Irish Tweed
    Calvin(original blue)
    L'Occitane Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb/Lomani Body and Soul(tie)
    Hanae Mori HiM EDP
    Pure Havane
    Dunhill Icon
    Halston Man Amber

Carven Homme...price to quality ratio is unbeatable imo
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

When I read the title Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian was the first thing that came to mind
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / D&G The One EDP
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Pegasus / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Oajan / Layton
    10. Code Ice / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reflection Man
    12. ADG / Hamptons
    13. Habdan / Chanel Edition Blanche
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Neroli Boheme

Two discontinued Gucci options (but occasionally still available especially online), namely Gucci pour Homme I and Gucci Envy - although both on the drier and more austere side, rather than rich and creamy, even the sweetness in both being rather moderate and in a dry woody rather than powdery or oily way, could be considered for some testing if available although not as an immediate blind buy

Winter Woods .. it's got the amazing ambagrisy smoothness to it just pop!
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

+1 Eau des baux

Besides the already-mentioned Egoiste and Tam Dao, I recommend Trumpers Sandalwood. Also, in my opinion, Gucci Pour Homme (Tom Ford era) is not creamy but is quite dry.

Tam Dao is probably what your looking for but I think Pal Zileri Sartorial is certainly also worth a mention

something ladies would like but is also something that smells good and isn't over powering.
    Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Its accessible and likable. Fits your description and should be available at most department stores.
    Like men, women like all sorts of different fragrances. Nothing is a sure bet, contrary to popular belief.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Colonia Fiorentina / Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Dolce Prospettiva / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDP
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

+1 Chanel Egoiste
    I also recommend Santos de Cartier
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

If you can find it, Creed's Santal Imperial.
    Basenotes sales: 18.21SweetTobacco, TiffanyforMenConcen, de Bachmakov, Atelier PomeloParadis & VetiverFatal, St James of London, TiffanyforMen mini, 17 CubaParis frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, ReyaneInsurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Santal Massoia
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Warm woody - Rocabar, Creamy woody - Santal Massoia

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm looking at Tam Dao, and Chanel Egoiste. Personally, which of these do you think you'd favor over the other?
    For me, Tam Dao although own and like both
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

You've got me really interested now. Do people compliment you when you wear Tam Dao?